Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Fml.. stupid ass Ramsey. Should have played hardball with him. We made him the highest paid CB when he signed his contract. F off.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
And the Dolphins FO wanted to screw us for another draft pick in that already bad trade? Fuck Miami. :pointup:

into the fire with my #5 Dolphin jersey

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
DaSilva quotes Breer.

Breer provides NO details and NO sources regarding alleged other offers.

“Sports Journalism.” :eyeroll:
IMHO, journalism is just like any other profession-- there are good ones, and there are bad ones.

Albert Breer is a respected journalist working for one of the most respected publications in Sports Illustrated.

When I read the Breer article, it was obvious to me that he had multiple sources to confirm his information. I also thought it was patently obvious that some of his sources didn't want to be revealed. No, a football trade doesn't have the big stakes of a Big Pharma whistleblower. But being a GM is like playing poker, and obviously GM's don't want too much of their strategies and internal deliberations to be made public.

Sure, I'll agree with ya that Florio is a crappy journalist. I agree that he (a) molests collies, and (b) is often irresponsible with his "speculation." But unlike Florio, there are plenty of good journalists out there, too.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why keep an unhappy player? A good locker room is far more important. One thing I learned as an employee. "Don't fuck with my money."

The Rams stipulated no NFC teams. Ramsey chose the Dolphins. All things considered, it's not a bad a trade as most make it out to be. People overvalue his worth because when you factor in his increased salary demands, not many teams have that kind of cap clearance. They simply did it a year maybe two early. But IMO they are all about setting things up for next year. I'm serious when I say Stafford might not be the starter in 2024. He said he's playing in 2023 but nothing beyond that. It's why I'm serious if Tanner Mckee is on the board at 36 he's about as good of a QB as you are going to get outside of the first round. He's a solid fit for McVay's offense and will have a year to acclimate to the NFL and learn the offense. With McKee, I don't see McVay having to change much if anything. Clayton Tune looks like he can become the kind of journeyman-type tier 2 backup good teams need. If McKee is off the board they can hope Tune drops into the 5th.

I don't like it but I can't argue with what Snead seems to be doing. It had to be done. He's resetting the board for 2024. If he fills the holes on STs well, gets an edge, CB and LB and QB2 this team can compete with anyone as long as it stays relatively healthy. Who knows maybe Murchison will be as advertised and give them 85-90% of the production that Gaines gave them. He's definitely not a 3 down DT so Brown is going to have to carry his load this year as an early down rotational NT.

If Snead nails the draft the Rams can be a good team. Not the dominant team they were before, but good enough to win and get into the playoffs where it's a whole new season.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
IMHO, journalism is just like any other profession-- there are good ones, and there are bad ones.

Albert Breer is a respected journalist working for one of the most respected publications in Sports Illustrated.

When I read the Breer article, it was obvious to me that he had multiple sources to confirm his information. I also thought it was patently obvious that some of his sources didn't want to be revealed. No, a football trade doesn't have the big stakes of a Big Pharma whistleblower. But being a GM is like playing poker, and obviously GM's don't want too much of their strategies and internal deliberations to be made public.

Sure, I'll agree with ya that Florio is a crappy journalist. I agree that he (a) molests collies, and (b) is often irresponsible with his "speculation." But unlike Florio, there are plenty of good journalists out there, too.
I take things at face value. Nothing in Breer’s article indicated he had multiple sources or that they requested anonymity. You are simply presuming those things. He also provided no details, rendering his statement open to interpretation, rather than informative.

In my book, that’s bad journalism.

DaSilva’s blog is worse, as he uses Breer’s vague statement as the basis for an article.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah it sucks but one thing drove this and that was Ramsey only wanting to go to Dolphins. He didn't ask for a trade but given the options this is what he chose and everyone knew Ramsey would not play for other teams. So hands were kind of tied. Also sounds like McVay and Snead like Hunter Long... hopefully that plays out how they see it because we desperately need help at TE. If Long grows into a decent TE for us the trade will be worth it... time will tell.
What’s Higbee’s contract like ?

They Ram’s won’t have a veteran TE next season? Hopkins in gone,then what ? Hunter Long runs smooths routes,but he has questions about his skill set.

Psycho_X

Legend
What’s Higbee’s contract like ?

They Ram’s won’t have a veteran TE next season? Hopkins in gone,then what ? Hunter Long runs smooths routes,but he has questions about his skill set.
This will be Higbee's last year for his contract. We also have three void/dead years at the end. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them refresh his contract this offseason to reduce his cap hit this year and spread it out a little more. I would be fine with Higbee being here another 3-4 years on a modest TE contract as long as we finally get him some help so he's not having to play every play almost. Hopefully Long is that guy but he's going to take some coaching from what I've heard.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This will be Higbee's last year for his contract. We also have three void/dead years at the end. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them refresh his contract this offseason to reduce his cap hit this year and spread it out a little more. I would be fine with Higbee being here another 3-4 years on a modest TE contract as long as we finally get him some help so he's not having to play every play almost. Hopefully Long is that guy but he's going to take some coaching from what I've heard.
I'm actually coming around to @Riverumbbq (I think it was you River if not sorry my memory is shit nowadays) opinion on Higs being moved. Didn't seem to make sense to me given how poor our depth is, but the trade providing TE depth in return for Ramsey plus the quality of TE in this draft insinuates that maybe this is just a matter of someone making a good offer for Higs.

Still doubt that happens given how poorly Higs played last season (selling at a low is never a good idea) but there is certainly room for this if things break the right way. So I'm now moved from thinking it is unlikely to thinking it could happen.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
And the Dolphins FO wanted to screw us for another draft pick in that already bad trade? Fuck Miami. :pointup:

into the fire with my #5 Dolphin jersey
I saw that too and was immediately hateful of the dolphins in general. That is like robbing a bank of all its cash, but realizing there was a gumball machine on the way out and taking the time to try and break into it. Take your haul and GTFO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw that too and was immediately hateful of the dolphins in general. That is like robbing a bank of all its cash, but realizing there was a gumball machine on the way out and taking the time to try and break into it. Take your haul and GTFO.
Actually it was like robbing the bank of its security guard who takes a few too many breaks and disappears at times. We're gonna need to find another one but what we are losing is not going to be impossible to find and we can pay the next one less salary.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm actually coming around to @Riverumbbq (I think it was you River if not sorry my memory is shit nowadays) opinion on Higs being moved. Didn't seem to make sense to me given how poor our depth is, but the trade providing TE depth in return for Ramsey plus the quality of TE in this draft insinuates that maybe this is just a matter of someone making a good offer for Higs.

Still doubt that happens given how poorly Higs played last season (selling at a low is never a good idea) but there is certainly room for this if things break the right way. So I'm now moved from thinking it is unlikely to thinking it could happen.

Yes, it's me, I want to trade Higbee now for another draft pick and his CAP relief. No way do I extend him. A day 3 draft day trade seems logical to me. I'd really like to add a 4'th rounder, so Higbee and a 2024 5'th might get it done.
Hopkins, Long, LaPorta & Kuntz would please me greatly for the 2023 TE unit. I'd even bring back Roger Carter for the Practice Squad. jmo.

Psycho_X

Legend

He had his second best year of his career stat wise. Number 1 for receptions. He's going to be 30 and has always been a mid range ranked TE so wouldn't offer a significant contract. But if we could keep him for a mild veteran contract for a few more years and draft someone this year to lean into taking over as the #1 TE I'd be fine with it. I'd also be ok with this being his last year so not going to bang the desk for it just that he has value here at the right price.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had his second best year of his career stat wise. Number 1 for receptions. He's going to be 30 and has always been a mid range ranked TE so wouldn't offer a significant contract. But if we could keep him for a mild veteran contract for a few more years and draft someone this year to lean into taking over as the #1 TE I'd be fine with it. I'd also be ok with this being his last year so not going to bang the desk for it just that he has value here at the right price.
I don't hate Higs by any stretch. But he is marginal as F. In this draft there are options to do a lot better. Just saying it would now not surprise me if they sell him, though there are still good reasons why that is unlikely.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Wasn't there someone on here a couple of months ago saying a possible Ramsey trade was something just made up by the fans?

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't hate Higs by any stretch. But he is marginal as F. In this draft there are options to do a lot better. Just saying it would now not surprise me if they sell him, though there are still good reasons why that is unlikely.
How many TE in the league would you say are better? Sure we have Kelce, Hockenson, Kittle & Andrews on a different level, but after that?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
How many TE in the league would you say are better? Sure we have Kelce, Hockenson, Kittle & Andrews on a different level, but after that?
Stats-wise, in 2022 among TE's, Higbee was fifth in receptions and ninth in yards. Seems like a good blocker too from what I've seen.

My take is he is a bit under appreciated

dang

Legend
Stats-wise, in 2022 among TE's, Higbee was fifth in receptions and ninth in yards. Seems like a good blocker too from what I've seen.

My take is he is a bit under appreciated
Is Higbee in the plans as the starting TE in 2024? If no - then I see trading him in 2023 as an option.