Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I meant the following year after a SB. Not 2 or more years later.

But why would you want to just blatantly insult another poster like you just did to me?
If you're that easily insulted, that's unfortunate.

What you said, though, is simply not correct.

Seasons after SB appearances:

1980: 11-5 (made playoffs)
2000: 10-6 (made playoffs)
2002: 7-9
2019: 9-7
2022: 5-12

So, not the best track record... but not as bad as you suggested.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I really have no idea what to make of that. Is there bad blood with the Rams or is he saying all the bullshit in the media is a lie about him being available for trade?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
My understanding is they only get a little over 5 mil this year. Where are u getting this 25 mil from?
Let's first point out that Overthecap.com shows that we are currently listed as being 14.8M over the 23' cap

We are also shown as being over the 24' cap by $3M and that's with only 36 players under contract. Thus we are at least over the 24' cap by about$ 18M-$20M minimum. Likely will be much more after this yrs FA period. So more like $25-30M.

So back to Ramsey. His cap savings on a trade would be $5.6M this year and his entire cap hit of $28M next yr. That's $33.6M of 23' & 24' cap savings.

I have stated this many times, but I will say it again.

So by opening up $28M in 24' cap space it now gives you room to restructure Kupp's contract and push money from this yr to next by converting a large portion of his 23' base salary into bonus money. That then gets spread out over the remaining 4 yrs of his deal. Probably could open up $10-$12M for 23' by doing that.

The remaining portion of the $25M is releasing Wagner & Floyd minus the $14.8M they are in the hole for now in 23' cap room.

That's why I am saying without moving Ramsey they may have $10M in cap room with those other moves only. However, moving him allows for Kupp's restructure and likley a few others to take place, opening up $10-15M more in 23' cap space.

And again, I say that because moving Ramsey opens up $28M in 24' cap room, making it more sensible to push 23' cap $$ to 24' without crushing the 24' cap.

To summarize trading Ramsey

Current cap space -14.8M
Ramsey 23' savings +5.6M
Floyd post Jun. +15.5M
Wagner post Jun. +8M
23' restructures. +10M

Total. +24.7 cap room

Reality is you could likely restructure more in 23' with the elimination of Ranswys 24' 28M cap hit.

Keeping Ramsey
Current cap space -14.8M
Floyd post Jun. +15.5M
Wagner post Jun. +8M

Total. +8.7M cap room

Probably would still try to restructure some contracts, further crushing the future cap, but this is where I see the major diff regarding cap room.

And again in 24' we currently are $3M over the projected cap and with only 36 players under contract.. Even if you avg only $1M per player for the remaining 17 roster spots, that's $20M over before any 23' incentive bonuses are paid and that's assuming no high priced FAs are being signed this yr.

So hard to restructure contracts this yr to push money into next yr. Even Floyd's and Wagner's releases won't help more than $10-15M next yr since they are both likley to be post June designated releases. So they will carry some cap spending into next yrs cap as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easy answers to all ...

First, you do recall that the Rams are in some CAP trouble ? Shedding some contracts will likely be how we reduce that burden.
Second, As I've mentioned for months now, trading for a young elite Edge Rusher was a big part of the plan at the trade deadline for the Rams. We still have those 2024 & 2025 1'st round draft picks we were willing to give up, so whether it be Burns or some other top Edge, we have some ammo to accomplish the task. If Ramsey is dealt, perhaps we might save those future 1'st round picks and use whatever we get for him for a better Edge than previously anticipated in the draft.
Third, Hopkins wouldn't be alone, we'll draft a very good TE that will probably have us forgetting completely about Higbee in a year. Hopkins deserves his shot imo.
Forth, If Hopkins is that WR3 whom so many other teams will covet, then we'll just get a better draft pick for him, ... and it's not like the Rams don't have plenty of depth at the position.

I don't mind that you and I disagree, it would feel funny if it was any other way. I don't know what the Rams will do, but I put forward my preferences and will see how things shake out. By the way, where's your plan ?
So no real idea who we'll trade for or how?

My plan? I just did a mock and will do others. My main desire with pick 36 is BJ Ojulari you put him behind AD opposite Floyd and you vastly improve our pass rush. There are a few other draft picks that will do the same.

I'm not trying to trade for Burns we lost that attempt last year they have a new head coach and he's not going to give up on their best young pass rusher and trade him. They're a couple million over the cap but can just as easily if not more so clear cap than the Rams can and extend Burns or franchise him next year. There's this thought around here that elite pass rushers, and that's often attributed to players who really aren't elite, are easy to trade for. It takes a team like Denver last year willing to move on from an aging Von because they had a couple good pass rushers at the end of the season they were tanking in.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying he's a World-beater. But there are 64 starting edge rushers (not to mention other pass rushers) in the NFL, so those rankings are all above average (plus, he’s solid against the run). I'd be more inclined to find a bookend than to try to upgrade him.
Which is what I stated in my first mock was my plan. We draft somebody this year get him in next to AD and if successful next year we clear $10 million in cap space cutting him and letting our 2nd year guy take over the pass rush. We'll also likely not have AD after this season.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If you're that easily insulted, that's unfortunate.

What you said, though, is simply not correct.

Seasons after SB appearances:

1980: 11-5 (made playoffs)
2000: 10-6 (made playoffs)
2002: 7-9
2019: 9-7
2022: 5-12

So, not the best track record... but not as bad as you suggested.
I have different levels of feeling insulted. Yours was at the extreme low end. But still the question remains unanswered by you. Why insult other posters for no reason?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This team fell apart because the OL fell apart. Not because Tansey was hurt...in fact he played every game. Fact is on today's NFK defense is de-emphasized by the rules.

If this team can't overhaul their offense and especially the line by adding some good vets with a good durability history, we could have 3 Ranseys and it wouldn't matter.
Yet, El Chapo is right. There is more than one way to win a Super Bowl. Just admit you like the offensive heavy approach to do it and that’s fine. I think there was a reason why we got rid of Talib and Peters for Ramsey, and that reason hasn’t changed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yet, El Chapo is right. There is more than one way to win a Super Bowl. Just admit you like the offensive heavy approach to do it and that’s fine. I think there was a reason why we got rid of Talib and Peters for Ramsey, and that reason hasn’t changed.
Actually I would love a dominant defense, but the league doesn't work that way. If it did, the Niners would have won a few SBs this decade.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually I would love a dominant defense, but the league doesn't work that way. If it did, the Niners would have won a few SBs this decade.
They should have won it even with an average QB like Purdy, but we know how that turned out.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If you keep Ramsey, tell me your plan to improve Stafford's ability to win football games, let alone to stay healthy.

That means having maybe $10M in cap room and 2 top 100 picks. And remember next yrs cap will be even worse.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They should have won it even with an average QB like Purdy, but we know how that turned out.
And again it shows how important your offense and your QB is. As soon as they lost Purdy that game was over.

If Ramsey was on the Niners and he got hurt in that game, is the game over when he goes down?

No, but it is when a mediocre young QB went down.

Thanks for illustrating the importance of positions.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That being said it takes two to tango. Obviously only our FO knows who, what, where but I’d imagine two very good teams with ammo that would trade for Ramsey is the Lions and Raiders if I had to guess.
These posters who are crying right now are really gonna be squealin' when the return is not what they expect. :laugh4:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you keep Ramsey, tell me your plan to improve Stafford's ability to win football games, let alone to stay healthy.

That means having maybe $10M in cap room and 2 top 100 picks. And remember next yrs cap will be even worse.
I don't pretend to be a Capologist. Part of it would be restructuring Kupps contract I imagine.... As for the Oline, draft the best Oline available in the 2nd round. Look at guys like Taylor Lewan to see if he/they have anything left. Getting rid of a cornerstone player at this point is admitting that you don't aspire to win another Super Bowl with this group, IMO. If that's so, don't eff around and just blow it up.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So no real idea who we'll trade for or how?

My plan? I just did a mock and will do others. My main desire with pick 36 is BJ Ojulari you put him behind AD opposite Floyd and you vastly improve our pass rush. There are a few other draft picks that will do the same.

I'm not trying to trade for Burns we lost that attempt last year they have a new head coach and he's not going to give up on their best young pass rusher and trade him. They're a couple million over the cap but can just as easily if not more so clear cap than the Rams can and extend Burns or franchise him next year. There's this thought around here that elite pass rushers, and that's often attributed to players who really aren't elite, are easy to trade for. It takes a team like Denver last year willing to move on from an aging Von because they had a couple good pass rushers at the end of the season they were tanking in.
Hitting on a pass rusher would do wonders for our secondary. Regardless of what happens with Ramsey. It would be the ideal pick to hit on there in round 2.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I really have no idea what to make of that. Is there bad blood with the Rams or is he saying all the bullshit in the media is a lie about him being available for trade?
I keep saying it could all be BS cuz so far it's a shit load of rumors with no action and remember, this is lying season aka the off-season as well.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We're lucky they have had shit for QBs. That's the real part holding them back, but thank goodness it has cuz fuck those punks!