Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Peter King says he'd except a low 1st and maybe another mid round pick. If that's it, no fuckin thanks.
Would LOVE TO BE WRONG but I would be surprised if they could do much better than that.

The article below (posted by Elmgrovegnome) tries to draw some comps. Most of them are not really comparable in my opinion, with the exception of Darrelle Revis.

I am not in favor of a trade but it looks likely to happen, so I am tying to be realistic ... and I don't want to cry.

One way to look at it is this ...
The Rams got Ramsey, entering his prime, for two late first round draft choices; and had him for almost four seasons. If they can get just one first round pick (mid-low-20's) in return, that means they had an All Pro Cornerback for four seasons, at the Net-cost of one first round draft choice.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Decline + Rams are paying him as an eraser + we had a bottom third defense in many metrics. We need to reinvest in the defense, in particular the secondary. Does it make sense to try to do that while you're pissing cap space away to a moody corner whose best days are behind him. Truth is we are fortunate that the league at large seems to hold him in high regard right now.

Also re: Durant the kid barely got a chance early on to contribute but he led the secondary in key metrics after only a handful of games. Disregarding him is silly. Rams hit on him, question is whether he can adjust to playing outside the hash in the NFL because you must be able to tackle. But worst case he will be a top slot corner for us.

Rams biggest problems are at safety. Ramsey could move to safety, but he's not gonna take a demotion from corner yet. He won't do that until it's obvious to everyone that his skills are gone. And his pay prevents a move to safety making sense.

Personally I am a big fan of Durant and his game. I think his aggressiveness and ball skills are required outside the hash, thus I see him as one of our boundary corners and I expect him to have a fantastic season in 2023. We hit on him IMO. What we need to do now is hit on another corner who can play outside the hash and we'll be good to go. Kendrick is simply too limited athletically and will end up in the slot. But he's got some really nice skills to him as well, in particular his ability to control the opponent when he's on top of him. Which is easier to accomplish in the slot and it is where you have resources around you.

Safety is very irritating to me. I don't know what Morris is looking for with those guys but hopefully we get back to having a duo who can switch it up to allow for playing pre-snap games with QBs. We might need two safeties.

This draft is probably going to be quite heavy in the secondary. Safety and Corner for sure, at a minimum, IMO. And we might see a FA safety as well given that there are guys on that FA list who can help us plus they're relative bargains during that window.

It does seem like the Rams are placing a lot of emphasis on Pleasant coming back to couch the secondary.

oldnotdead

Legend
Credible sources. Lol

He works in their FO and I went to college with him so I've known him for 52 years. He confirmed multiple calls between Holmes and Snead. The actual problem seems to be with Ramsey's agent and their salary expectations. That IMO is the biggest hangup with any and all deals.

Pick 18 is their second first rounder. The earliest first round pick is the one the Rams gave them for Stafford at #6. Their lowest second round pick is 56 also from a trade I believe.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Would LOVE TO BE WRONG but I would be surprised if they could do much better than that.

The article below (posted by Elmgrovegnome) tries to draw some comps. Most of them are not really comparable in my opinion, with the exception of Darrelle Revis.

I am not in favor of a trade but it looks likely to happen, so I am tying to be realistic ... and I don't want to cry.

One way to look at it is this ...
The Rams got Ramsey, entering his prime, for two late first round draft choices; and had him for almost four seasons. If they can get just one first round pick (mid-low-20's) in return, that means they had an All Pro Cornerback for four seasons, at the Net-cost of one first round draft choice.
I understand. But the fact that we have ZERO average or physical corners and Safeties with Ramsey leaving tells me it's going to be impossible to fill his shoes. Not to mention we may have zero edge on the roster, need a ILB, need OL across the board.

This just creates such a massively unnecessary hole.

The Rams trading him, cutting Wagner and maybe Floyd tells me they're pretty much considering 2023 a bye season.

They were ignorant as hell going into '22 season counting on Holland and Lewis opposite of Floyd. They tried a trade for Troy Hill but he was already burnt toast his first time around. Our rookie CBs mixed with David Long and Rochelle shown a splash play here and there but overall a lot of poor play. Not to mention, S play was weak.

I don't know, I know I'm being a Debbie Downer to the maximum. But there's ZERO part of me that will be excited for next season or have any SB hope for next season.

Sure, they could sign an EDGE to replace Floyd. But we'll go from can't get to the passer because our pass rush is weak and DBs are soft and too far back to can't get a passer because our pass rush is OK and our DBs can't stay with a damn WR.

I ESPECIALLY hate the fact that our CBs outside of Ramsey are soft as hell. And we play in a physical division. We're out here trying to play finesse ball while getting absolutely punched in the face by physical teams. And Ramsey at least could match that physicality.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It does seem like the Rams are placing a lot of emphasis on Pleasant coming back to couch the secondary.

Agree as a couch potato.The Rams secondary needs(will) be coached up.
Ramsey is not going to be that guy. They might have had issues as well(respect).
I like Ramsey,but there is an IT Factor with him.The IT has been fun,but at some point IT needs to be like Tag & let him go.
He WILL probably have a HOF career.

oldnotdead

Legend
Morris IMO is the biggest problem with the defense. When the Rams drafted Rochell it was clear they envisioned him opposite Ramsey. But he's been benched by Morris in favor of a slow self-absorbed 6th rounder. When Kendricks refused to even attempt to make a tackle of a Niner receiver who ran right by him it told me all I needed to see from the kid. You can make excuses for him in other areas but lack of effort there is no excuse for.

If they trade Ramsey then in reality their best CB options would be Rochell and Durant on the boundaries but that would leave them a CB short. But with Morris' prevent defense base scheme he would simply use another safety as a body to fill his zone requirements. That's why even with one of the best CBs in the league Morris' secondary was ranked 22nd.

Why is McVay content with a mediocre defense when he demands so much from everyone else? C'mon Man!! Ya'll got Jimmy Lake on the staff....why the fuck do ya need mediocre is okay Morris?

Yeah bold is me yelling....

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Morris IMO is the biggest problem with the defense. When the Rams drafted Rochell it was clear they envisioned him opposite Ramsey. But he's been benched by Morris in favor of a slow self-absorbed 6th rounder. When Kendricks refused to even attempt to make a tackle of a Niner receiver who ran right by him it told me all I needed to see from the kid. You can make excuses for him in other areas but lack of effort there is no excuse for.

If they trade Ramsey then in reality their best CB options would be Rochell and Durant on the boundaries but that would leave them a CB short. But with Morris' prevent defense base scheme he would simply use another safety as a body to fill his zone requirements. That's why even with one of the best CBs in the league Morris' secondary was ranked 22nd.

Why is McVay content with a mediocre defense when he demands so much from everyone else? C'mon Man!! Ya'll got Jimmy Lake on the staff....why the fuck do ya need mediocre is okay Morris?
Couldn't agree with you more. Morris is a massive problem with the passing defense. And his personell decisions. All the fans could see the bs plain as day. I don't trust Morris at all to "retool" the Defense.

His defenses have been pretty lackluster everywhere he's went. But the "players love him".

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Morris IMO is the biggest problem with the defense.
Biggest problem is we had shitty safeties. Morris was definitely impacted by them. That affects what you can call and how you can approach things. This is why Staley flipped the safeties when he came in. This is where Morris made his biggest mistake in not doing the same.

Second biggest problem is we had a bunch of corners who did not take a step forward. Guys like Rochell and Long who were in their window to produce and fizzled. That left the DC holding the bag with a combination of rooks and an aging star with a shitty mood streak.

Third biggest problem is Morris is mediocre. Not good enough for a perennial contender. It's a good thing he's McVay's buddy, because if he wasn't his ass would have gotten walking papers in spite of the above. McVay generally does not hold on to staff who don't produce but Morris is going to get another year and I hope he makes the most of it for our sakes.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Biggest problem is we had shitty safeties. Morris was definitely impacted by them. That affects what you can call and how you can approach things. This is why Staley flipped the safeties when he came in. This is where Morris made his biggest mistake in not doing the same.

Second biggest problem is we had a bunch of corners who did not take a step forward. Guys like Rochell and Long who were in their window to produce and fizzled. That left the DC holding the bag with a combination of rooks and an aging star with a shitty mood streak.

Third biggest problem is Morris is mediocre. Not good enough for a perennial contender. It's a good thing he's McVay's buddy, because if he wasn't his ass would have gotten walking papers in spite of the above. McVay generally does not hold on to staff who don't produce but Morris is going to get another year and I hope he makes the most of it for our sakes.
Our young DBs didn't take a step forward and get people want to trade Ramsey? And have any sort of hope that Raheem can coach up someone else? And these are the Safeties Raheem has had for 2 years now and picked to go with last year.

I think a massive part of our SB was Eric Weddle REALLY solidified the back end. Ramsey could go ball and didn't have to babysit.

I'm not trying to follow you around and single you out, just seem some other people say what you are and just fighting my argument. Please don't take it personally :)

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Yeah bold is me yelling....
And yet, Morris presided over a defense that ranked 5th in the NFL in passer rating allowed in 2021.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Peter King says he'd except a low 1st and maybe another mid round pick. If that's it, no fuckin thanks.

Also expects Snead to trade down from our spot in R2 to get more Day 3 picks which would be dumb as hell. Take the top OL, CB, OR EDGE at that top spot. There's a reason our roster is getting weak. Too many day 3 picks not doing a damn thing. Need to start getting top young talent.
Fuck him and the media. I swear they spew all this bullshit just to hope that they influence this to happen. I am completely with you that if we do that trade, the Rams FO are fucking idiots. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Fuck him and the media. I swear they spew all this bullshit just to hope that they influence this to happen. I am completely with you that if we do that trade, the Rams FO are fucking idiots. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.
Amen brother, amen!

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Our young DBs didn't take a step forward and get people want to trade Ramsey? And have any sort of hope that Raheem can coach up someone else? And these are the Safeties Raheem has had for 2 years now and picked to go with last year.

I think a massive part of our SB was Eric Weddle REALLY solidified the back end. Ramsey could go ball and didn't have to babysit.

I'm not trying to follow you around and single you out, just seem some other people say what you are and just fighting my argument. Please don't take it personally :)
Agree and I'll keep saying it like a broken record, we don't have anything proven behind Ramsey. So let's say for arguments sake, Durant does step up....why get rid of Ramsey when Durant doing so makes our secondary that much more formidable? It seems like doing this move, if done, is solely so that we have a good season vs grabbing the bull by the horns and trying to win it all. Keep the foot on the pedal dammit. I would love us to go all out until AD retires.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Agree and I'll keep saying it like a broken record, we don't have anything proven behind Ramsey. So let's say for arguments sake, Durant does step up....why get rid of Ramsey when Durant doing so makes our secondary that much more formidable? It seems like doing this move, if done, is solely so that we have a good season vs grabbing the bull by the horns and trying to win it all. Keep the foot on the pedal dammit. I would love us to go all out until AD retires.
Agree. We're absolutely depleting the secondary. Better plan on signing aCB and S and drafting 2 of each!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Why do the wheels always fall off this team after a SB appearance?
Well, I'll admit that the gap of 1979 to 1999 was a long wait, but...

1999 to 2001?

2018 to 2021?

I don't think the word "always" means what you think it means.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
And if they trade Ramsey, don't do this cute shit where you trade him to a contender and take less to thank him for what he's done. If you're trading him, take the biggest trade package.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Are the Rams better off with or without Ramsey?

Cap situation? Someone tell me if it would solve any cap with trading him.
(Expecting no one is going to take his contract. Or we won't get any decent picks with it.)

As for talent, it's painfully obvious, even if he has declined, we cannot replace or even come close to replacing his talent level.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
How could we? AD bent Snead over with the extension last year. It's bloated, it's got a no trade clause and there's no guarantee he'll play more than a season anyway. If AD can veto any deal then he's not going to accept a trade to a team that isn't a contender (unless some team offered him even more money - right....).

Even if we traded him we would still have $41m in dead money over the next three seasons. He's practically untrade-able for equivalent value. That extension was a marriage pact - 'til retirement do us part.

Well all that combined with him being the best player that we’ve had maybe ever as a franchise is why we don’t need to trade him.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
My bottom line...

If trading Ramsey resulted in us being able to draft a LT who ends up starting for us for the next 5+ years and maybe makes a Pro Bowl or two along the way, I'd be satisfied.