GAME DAY Rams vs Chargers Aug. 17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm really interested to see if Limmer makes the 53.. seems like a lock and seems like a guy who can really play in the league. Future ramifications are definitely interesting. If they decide to save some money next year, who knows? After 25, it's very cheap to move on from Jackson, for example.
I can not imagine Beaux Limmer not making the 53-man roster.

The contracts signed by both free agent guards (Jackson and Dotson) allow for the Rams to move-on from either player after 2025. Even more so in Dotson's case, where the Dead-$ is minimal.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I'm really interested to see if Limmer makes the 53.. seems like a lock and seems like a guy who can really play in the league. Future ramifications are definitely interesting. If they decide to save some money next year, who knows? After 25, it's very cheap to move on from Jackson, for example.
I definitely think Limmer is safe. In fact he as looked great for a 6th round rookie.

KT Leveston on the other hand probably is not safe. With KT being hurt, best to redshirt him on the practice squad and let Bruss and/or Thomas have their shot. IMO Bruss has played himself onto the team. It may come down to a choice between Bruss and Thomas for the backup guard spot or maybe both make the squad. IMO, they have both showed well enough in preseason where neither one will make it to the practice squad if they get cut (unless one really shits the bed in the final preseason game).

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Yes it could happen, especially if you consider a few factors. What teams have they practiced with (1st/2nd/3rd), and that they are already a known commodity when it comes to strengths and weaknesses. There is little gained in the evaluation process by playing 3rd year players who have seen regular season action, in preseason games when trying to learn about new players.

If Reeder was playing in preseason it might indicate a lack of quality depth at ILB.
Sure, this is ok logic, but it doesn't align with how McVay has done things. Is there an example of any player he didn't play in preseason that was later cut prior to the season? I can't think of one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Reeder is in a similar boat to Tutu. Limited in preseason and then guys below him are performing well. It's a shitty mix for sure because when it comes to cheap youth it's only a matter of time for all these guys.
I'm the president of the get Troy Reeder a ticket out of town club. And Michael Hoecht.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm the president of the get Troy Reeder a ticket out of town club. And Michael Hoecht.

For a third edge rusher, Hoecht is solid, steady, and versatile enough to keep, and you need some sort of veteran presence.

Reeder, Atwell, and THT are on my get-a-one-way-ticket-out-of-town list, preferably for a draft pick with the latter two.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
With both Jacksons being injury-prone--Don't be surprised the Rams will keep 11 men on the (53-man roster) offensive line position group-- I think there's a great chance--

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think in terms of backups it should be:

Jones > Speight
Rozeboom > Hummel

This is not a reference on where the depth actually play, but where I'd stack them. I don't like Hummel behind Jones, but Hummel may be better than Rozeboom as a partner for Jones. And if/when Jones misses time I would plug Speight into his spot.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I like Hoecht but I do not want him covering anyone past 10 yards downfield.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. Not Hoecht's fault Raheem played him out of position. I guess it was out of necessity, but I dunno... that was absurd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoecht is not going anywhere, and he shouldn't. I'll never understand the lack of appreciation for that guy.
He's a decent enough backup. He hasn't always been a backup though the last few years which is a problem when backups start.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wholeheartedly agree with that. Not Hoecht's fault Raheem played him out of position. I guess it was out of necessity, but I dunno... that was absurd.
Not out of position, that's something OLB's do in this defense.

WestCoastRam

Legend
For a third edge rusher, Hoecht is solid, steady, and versatile enough to keep, and you need some sort of veteran presence.

Reeder, Atwell, and THT are on my get-a-one-way-ticket-out-of-town list, preferably for a draft pick with the latter two.
I'm actually really intrigued at Hoecht being an off the bench edge rusher. I suspect his ROI is actually better there. He was just miscast as an every down defender.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Three Rams OL are ranked in the top 5 best OL who have played in preseason league wide! This is well worth a listen. Limmer will be a stud in this offense with these coaches!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSlR_KV4cZw

Worth watching to find out how the whole line has played. It’s impressive

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I definitely think Limmer is safe. In fact he as looked great for a 6th round rookie.

KT Leveston on the other hand probably is not safe. With KT being hurt, best to redshirt him on the practice squad and let Bruss and/or Thomas have their shot. IMO Bruss has played himself onto the team. It may come down to a choice between Bruss and Thomas for the backup guard spot or maybe both make the squad. IMO, they have both showed well enough in preseason where neither one will make it to the practice squad if they get cut (unless one really shits the bed in the final preseason game).
All three will definitely make it. Watch this report :)

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSlR_KV4cZw

If Stafford stays healthy we are strong contenders with this depth

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sure, this is ok logic, but it doesn't align with how McVay has done things. Is there an example of any player he didn't play in preseason that was later cut prior to the season? I can't think of one.
Nothing is set in stone. At one point everyone was saying McVay doesn’t value inside linebackers and interior Olinemen. It certainly seemed that way for a few years. It doesn’t any longer.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's def not out of the realm of possibility that a guy being held out (cause he's made the team) ends up being beaten out by a star in the preseason. Just not likely.
This is not to denegrate Whittington, as he sure looks like a stud, but who was the stud WR in the 2023 preseason? Tyler Johnson?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listening to Fouts is like watching the game with one of my uncles. He's never been a pillar of play-by-play excellence in that regard. But I don't mind listening to a game with him calling it. He sort of fades into the background, which actually is a good thing nowadays.
How many times does Fout's make an Oregon State reference?