GAME DAY Rams vs Chargers Aug. 17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Tutu. The way I see it is this. He was drafted because McVay wanted his DeSean Jackson.

The real DeSean Jackson was brought in and promptly diva’d his own ass off the roster.

Tutu was slow in developing but eventually found some gameday PT.

He’s made a few splash plays and some plays here and there, but hasn’t forced himself into the starting rotation because he can’t get himself open regularly or block in 11 personnel.

Meanwhile, Puka comes in and immediately forces himself to become the WR2.

Also meanwhile, vet Demarcus Robinson is brought in to compete and forces himself into WR3 because he can do just about everything Tutu can do plus block.

Also meanwhile…and for a long while now, the Rams have been looking for one of these WR’s to become the guy on ST’s.

Long story short, three years in…
Tutu isn’t DeSean Jackson 2.0
Tutu isn’t WR3
Tutu isn’t a ST’s guy

Today we have some young guns showing out and competing like Whittington, X and T Johnson who are forcing their way onto the roster. They’re bringing an assortment of skills to the table that include getting open, blocking and ST versatility.

IMO Tutu comes from the Van Jefferson school of football players. He suffers from a lack of competitive fire. It doesn’t help that he’s too small to force his will physically. He’s fast and has decent hands but that ain’t enough when you don’t have what so many of these rookies and dudes like Puka, Kyren, Turner have, which is the love of football and the competitive drive to become a helluva football player and the absolute BEST that one can be.
I can agree with ALL of that. Just two questions. Who is our "deep threat"? Who had TD receptions for the Rams in the 2023 playoffs?

Tutu is our deep threat (and 1 of 2 guys to catch a PS TD last year). The guy, despite not having the numbers, requires a CB and more likely than not, a S to watch him when he lines up in the formation. His presence allows our other (non-deep threat) WRs to have less coverage. I would think with 4 wide, 2 are gonna cover Kupp, 2 are gonna cover Puka, 2 are gonna cover Tutu and that leaves a guy 1 on one. DRob? Whittington?

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't see it with Long. I think Allen, who is still showing inexperience at times, is well ahead of him. Rams will keep 3 TEs I expect but if Kalinic can show growth in this next game I would consider going with the young player.
FWIW Long is two years younger than Kalinic. Kalinic is 27, Long 25.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I can agree with ALL of that. Just two questions. Who is our "deep threat"? Who had TD receptions for the Rams in the 2023 playoffs?

Tutu is our deep threat (and 1 of 2 guys to catch a PS TD last year). The guy, despite not having the numbers, requires a CB and more likely than not, a S to watch him when he lines up in the formation. His presence allows our other (non-deep threat) WRs to have less coverage. I would think with 4 wide, 2 are gonna cover Kupp, 2 are gonna cover Puka, 2 are gonna cover Tutu and that leaves a guy 1 on one. DRob? Whittington?
Well ideally, the deep threat comes from either your WR1 or WR2 but most teams don’t have that luxury. Elite WR’s with size, speed and skills are hard to find.

The Rams were hoping that guys like Van and Tutu would be good enough all-around receivers that they’d be running mates with Kupp or at least viable #3’s. They’re not.

So yeah, Tutu’s deep speed serves a purpose but ideally one of your top two (or three) guys needs to have that speed, not your 4th or 5th or 6th best receiver.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Limmer is really impressive, I have only seen a couple of forgivable offenses. Not a glamorous position but making as much of a positive impact as anyone playing in these P.S Games
This is a terrific development. Him & Speights. Of course there's other reasons to smile on this team but these 2 positions have been a sore spot for me for some time now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is he the best a midget can be? :)
Lol no. DeSean was. Steve Smith was. Wes Welker was. A bunch of other smaller guys who were Alpha competitors. They don’t care if they’re small because of that “fuck you i’m better than you” mentality.

I feel like Tutu doesn’t have that. Van definitely didn’t have it and he wasn’t small.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well ideally, the deep threat comes from either your WR1 or WR2 but most teams don’t have that luxury. Elite WR’s with size, speed and skills are hard to find.

The Rams were hoping that guys like Van and Tutu would be good enough all-around receivers that they’d be running mates with Kupp or at least viable #3’s. They’re not.

So yeah, Tutu’s deep speed serves a purpose but ideally one of your top two (or three) guys needs to have that speed, not your 4th or 5th or 6th best receiver.
At the end of the day, Rams most likely keep 7 WR. Room for everyone worth keeping right now with Tutu, Whittington, Smith and Johnson rounding out the depth.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There are numerous reasons Tutu will most likely make the roster but another one is, if he was playing in preseason, he'd probably be outplaying every WR on the field right now.
Based on what though? It’s possible. I disagree though. So many factors. Can Bennett even get the ball to him? He found Laap once. I also don’t recall Tutu being any kind of a preseason stand out in the past.

Yeah I disagree. Whittington will have more receptions this year than Tutu for the Rams. Hot take? Avatar bet? Anyone?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
At the end of the day, Rams most likely keep 7 WR. Room for everyone worth keeping right now with Tutu, Whittington, Smith and Johnson rounding out the depth.
I hope so. That would be great. I worry about the OL room and injuries so I’m thinking they go heavy with OL at the expense of WR.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Based on what though? It’s possible. I disagree though. So many factors. Can Bennett even get the ball to him? He found Laap once. I also don’t recall Tutu being any kind of a preseason stand out in the past.

Yeah I disagree. Whittington will have more receptions this year than Tutu for the Rams. Hot take? Avatar bet? Anyone?
His production in the regular season last two years... though I could see him and Whittington both doing well if they played together in PS right now.

He's got his limitations but he can do and offer more than every other backup WR on the roster not named Whittington and Whittington is such a different WR you'd be better off looking at them as two different positions.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I hope so. That would be great. I worry about the OL room and injuries so I’m thinking they go heavy with OL at the expense of WR.
Even with injuries, I'm not sure I see them keeping more than 10 OL on the roster right now especially with the position flex of Noteboom and McClendon (ability to play LT in a pinch).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Atwell is safe. His lack of PS snaps kind of confirms that… and he presents unique matchup issues compared to our other WR.
I think you’re right but as the Rams keep finding better all-around receivers (without the deep speed) it begins to hurt the roster strength to keep a one trick pony around.

The Rams need to hit on an all-around great WR with elite speed eventually. They’re trying I’m sure. In the meantime they’ve brought in Watkins, Cooks, DJax and Beckham jr. At least those guys could start and do alot of things you know?

Tutu is our generic deep threat today. We have several better WR’s on the roster though. It’d be great if Tutu could be a legit #3.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whittington will have more receptions this year than Tutu for the Rams.
Agreed. Tutu is the sole speed element on this roster but it doesn't translate consistently enough. Whittington will almost surely add more to this offense.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tutu doesn't need to play in the preseason because the Rams already know what he can do. They can still release him before the season starts. Maybe that is why all of the other receivers are playing, because I'm sure a large part of the decision on Tutu depends on how the other receiver perform right now. It's going to be hard to let any of these guys go, and especially letting go of some of the linebackers and safeties. I like most all of them. I've said it before... I'm glad I do not have to make these decisions and I trust Mcvay and Snead.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
His production in the regular season last two years... though I could see him and Whittington both doing well if they played together in PS right now.

He's got his limitations but he can do and offer more than every other backup WR on the roster not named Whittington and Whittington is such a different WR you'd be better off looking at them as two different positions.
I most definitely look at them as serving different roles but unfortunately they both occupy the same roster room and as we keep finding better all around WR’s than Tutu, my concern over the numbers problem grows.

His speed is important to the scheme I get that, but it’s also important to have “legit” depth behind Kupp/Nacua. I just think Tutu doesn’t do much besides get deep. I prob don’t give him enough credit as a blocker as i should.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the lack of 12 personnel over the years is mostly because Ncvay believes 11 personnel gives him an advantage. The defense never knows what's coming, nor can they substitute personnel. Advantage Mcvay. Although Mcvay's never had two good tight ends either, and that may change this year, but I doubt it. No reason to keep Long, especially if he can go on the practice squad. The other variable in this is Higbee's health, which we don't know.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think you’re right but as the Rams keep finding better all-around receivers (without the deep speed) it begins to hurt the roster strength to keep a one trick pony around.

The Rams need to hit on an all-around great WR with elite speed eventually. They’re trying I’m sure. In the meantime they’ve brought in Watkins, Cooks, DJax and Beckham jr. At least those guys could start and do alot of things you know?

Tutu is our generic deep threat today. We have several better WR’s on the roster though. It’d be great if Tutu could be a legit #3.
Tutu is fast, but most DB’s are too, and it doesn’t appear as big of a mismatch as we tend to suggest. I.e… It’s not like Tutu is constantly burning DB’s into being wide open. That hasn’t happened much, anyway.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tutu doesn't need to play in the preseason because the Rams already know what he can do.
Last year Kupp was out of commission. Tutu was in his third year in this offense and the Rams started him 14 games. There was all the opportunity in the world for him to win a role and contribute. What was his contribution? 39 receptions for 483 yards.

By comparison Robinson only started 4 games, yet managed 26 receptions for 371 yards. And down the stretch he was a crucial element in the offense in key moments of games.

This time last year Robinson had torched camp, yet his opportunity in this offense was largely put on hold due to the Rams trying to shoehorn Tutu into the attack. With marginal results at best. But eventually the change was made and Robinson was elevated in the pecking order and the offense showed instant benefit.

For this season Robinson is clearly ahead of him on the depth chart and rightly so. By midseason Whittington will be ahead of him on the depth chart as well. Also just my opinion here but if we're in the final minutes of a big game and I have to pick a depth chart option to throw a pass to, I would pick Johnson or Smith over him as well. And Smith brings special teams contributions.

I really expect the Rams to trade him. But if not, so be it. Keep prioritizing his draft order and speed and doubling down on another failed Rams round 2 offensive weapon draft selection. Keep him around next year too. I really don't care. But I think it sets a bad precedent to prioritize a guy who consistently fails to produce. And how in the fuck it makes sense to sit him in preseason is beyond me.