Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So if we do indeed trade Tru, and McDonald becomes a free agent as expected, our secondary heading into the draft would be:

CB:
- EJ Gaines
- Troy Hill
- Blake Countess
- Lamarcus Joyner
- Mike Jordan

Safeties:
- Christian Marqui
- Isaiah Johnson
- Cody Davis
- Brian Randolph
- Maurice Alexander

Great.

So free agency doesn't count?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if we do indeed trade Tru, and McDonald becomes a free agent as expected, our secondary heading into the draft would be:

CB:
- EJ Gaines
- Troy Hill
- Blake Countess
- Lamarcus Joyner
- Mike Jordan

Safeties:
- Christian Marqui
- Isaiah Johnson
- Cody Davis
- Brian Randolph
- Maurice Alexander

Great.
Don't get upset until free agency and the draft is over. This team is far from set.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

CB:
- EJ Gaines
- Troy Hill
- Blake Countess
- Lamarcus Joyner
- Mike Jordan

Safeties:
- Christian Marqui
- Isaiah Johnson
- Cody Davis
- Brian Randolph
- Maurice Alexander

Great.

Trading Tru opens $16.7 million in cap room for FA.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Well. I don't think we will know about the trade deal if there is ever one just before the draft.... Until then..
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Suspense kills me...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Damn. I understand though, he is the best corner that we have on our roster but hes coming off a down year and i dont think he's a top 10 CB and isnt worth 16m a year. If we do trade, i hope we atleast net a first rounder

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Well. I don't think we will know about the trade deal if there is ever one just before the draft.... Until then..
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Suspense kills me...

Doubt it. If a deal gets done it would almost have to be before free agency actually opens up. Doesn't make sense for the Rams to wait. This deal opens up so much cap space. To wait before the draft is essentially a waste of that cap. I bet they try to rush this to have a deal done by end of day tomorrow.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Two things I think (ala peter king:puke:)

1) this trade will happen before Thursday or won't be happening at all. We need to secure this trade and resolve it before all the Rams' "wants" are gone in FA. $16 mill would sure help bring in at least two decent options in open market, along with a Garçon who I am convinced will be a Ram.

2) if I had to guess, I have a strong feeling it's either Steelers, Philly, Dallas or Cleveland knocking on our door. Remember, Pittsburg had interest in him last year, but we franchise tagged him. I would be more than glad to take their first and maybe even swap seconds or thirds to secure that late round first pick for Tru. I would then do my best to land Lamp in late first round. Rumors out of combine according to Walter football website (fuck them btw, they hate on Rams hard) is that we are targeting weapons in FA and oline early in draft. Just imagine rd 1) OG Lamp 2) CB Lewis 3) C Eiflein (sp?) 4) OG Cooper.

*paging Snead and Demoff now* Okay okayyy I'll put the coolaid down.:yay:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The Gilmore and Bouye price line potentially being driven up doesn't help this situation. I guess I can see a side where it may. But it sounds like Bears are ready to throw money at Gilmore and Reports of Bouye getting lots of interest too.

I don't know either of those players real well. But I can't imagine that either of them are in a place to say they are way better than Tru.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
So free agency doesn't count?

Obviously if we pick up a DB that lineup would change. Kinda goes without saying. As it stands, though, we're set to have lost four key starters in our secondary over the last two seasons. And nobody knows if Gaines will return to form.

Not good any way you shake it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously if we pick up a DB that lineup would change. Kinda goes without saying. As it stands, though, we're set to have lost four key starters in our secondary over the last two seasons. And nobody knows if Gaines will return to form.

Not good any way you shake it.
The point is that it's way to premature to worry or complain about a spot on the roster right now.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
That doesn't work if he's not willing to do it.

I haven't read anything that it's Johnson who's unwilling to sign a longterm deal, but rather the new FO not wanting to commit until they see how he fits.

The point is that it's way to premature to worry or complain about a spot on the roster right now.

Again, I said heading into the draft, that's what our lineup would look like-- barring a splash in free agency, of course. I made an observation.

Still, if you let McDonald walk (after letting McLeod and Jenkins do the same) and trade Tru, you basically have to replace your entire secondary over the course of one season. That's not good, especially when key positions along your offense went neglected and need to be addressed.

Basically, by losing four starters on defense, one of our strengths has become a weakness, without other areas of weakness along the roster being properly addressed. Instead, we're letting players we've developed leave, while holding onto players who've regressed.

There's only so much cap space and only so many worthy free agents. I think my concern is valid, especially after seeing how the corner back position opposite of Tru was a turnstile last year.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't read anything that it's Johnson who's unwilling to sign a longterm deal, but rather the new FO not wanting to commit until they see how he fits.

Then you have your answer why we're looking to deal him. As I said, I'm not about to doubt Wade Phillips.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
As I said, I'm not about to doubt Wade Phillips.

People say that all of the time about new regimes during the honeymoon phase.

I like what we've done so far in regards to aquiring a coaching staff, but after losing Jenkins and McLeod last year (and not adequately replacing them), excuse me if I'm a little skeptic about what looks to be the start of repeating that same process this year.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
It would make the draft more interesting if we can net some decent picks for Tru. This draft is DEEP in quality CBs.

This is true..... deep in CB's and TE's and others. But, at some point, don't you have to say enough is enough of being the youngest team in the league? Since Fisher took over and the Rams acquired McCleod, Jenkins, TJ Mac, and Trumaine, we're one step away from having NONE of them. You can't become a consistent playoff contender by losing all of the players you draft and develop after their 1st contract.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I like what we've done so far in regards to aquiring a coaching staff, but after losing Jenkins and McLeod last year (and not adequately replacing them), excuse me if I'm a little skeptic about what looks to be the start of repeating that same process this year.

Yep, they do. But they aren't typically saying that about the best defensive coordinator in football who has decades of experience creating top defenses. I trust Wade to know what he wants.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true..... deep in CB's and TE's and others. But, at some point, don't you have to say enough is enough of being the youngest team in the league? Since Fisher took over and the Rams acquired McCleod, Jenkins, TJ Mac, and Trumaine, we're one step away from having NONE of them. You can't become a consistent playoff contender by losing all of the players you draft and develop after their 1st contract.

Why don't we let them show us their plan before we criticize it?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

The Rams haven't had a winning season with McLeod, JJ, McDonald or TruJo, so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in what's to come just yet. I'm not blaming any of the above players for our failures, but we should recognize they weren't difference makers getting us consistently to & thru the play-offs. If we unload Tru for one or multiple draft picks and open $16.7mil. more in available CAP space, considering this is an exceptional year for CB's in the draft and there will be a mid-range CB or two available thru free agency, I believe we'll come out of this just fine. jmo.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Rams haven't had a winning season with McLeod, JJ, McDonald or TruJo, so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in what's to come just yet. I'm not blaming any of the above players for our failures, but we should recognize they weren't difference makers getting us consistently to & thru the play-offs. If we unload Tru for one or multiple draft picks and open $16.7mil. more in available CAP space, considering this is an exceptional year for CB's in the draft and there will be a mid-range CB or two available thru free agency, I believe we'll come out of this just fine. jmo.

I'll have to disagree with you there. If you compare an NFL team to a balance scale, I think its safe to say it's been very obvious that our offense is the reason behind our lack of post season appearances, and that if anything, our defense can be credited to carrying us to the wins we have gotten.

You don't get better overall (or balanced) by losing good, developing players and keeping those who are either stagnant or regressing.

We had a very good group of core secondary players headed into last season, and not only are we facing the probability of losing all four (down two already), but we went an entire season without solidifying the corner position opposite of Johnson, as well as free safety. So now, not only are those positions of concern, but you can add the other cornerback slot and strong safety (Alexander can maybe take over SS, still an unkown at this point) positions to that list... on top of the same old same old-- offensive line, receiver, tight end, linebacker, etc.

I mean following your logic, we haven't won many games with Gurley or Donald, so should we let them walk, too? How do you ever expect to get better if you keep losing good, developing players? Definitely not free agency.