Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love digging up old posts.

Digging up old post old school doesn’t change the question to date. Do you think The Rams should resign Austin Blythe? Looks like Mcvay might like the idea ?

I’ll state my view as the offseason & season progressed. I like the idea of The Rams resigning him & Whitworth. Mcvay & Kromer from day one have said they are teachers. Blythe as you stated a couple of years ago thought he was fine after the SuperBowl. I thought The Rams needed to sign a veteran & that was even before Sullivan was let go, because I believe The Rams still had an option on him. Not exactly sure though. Was upset he was not kept, because of his leadership.
I like Blythe as a center & a backup guard as he showed he can be a starter for a SuperBowl team when called upon.He also showed leadership & competitiveness at Center. I’m not a fan of Brian Allen & thought Blythe would have been a solid backup, but The Rams needed a starter.He was a wasted draft pick imo,but that being said Brian Allen was The Rams starter in 2019. It just gives him a chance to grow & maybe earn that starting spot, but Austin Blythe would make it tough for him & is a solid backup if Allen can beat him out ??
- Noteboom also having extra time to develop while Whitworth holds the fort down would be cool as well.I think with another season of Kromer working with this young unit will be so much better than last season. If it is about teaching & coaching players up like Kromer & Mcvay stated then The Rams should be set for 2020 & beyond.
I’ve also stated The Rams wouldn’t draft a Offensive Lineman in 2020, especially if The Rams resign Whitworth & Blythe like some are being reported. Blythe & Whitworth have been able to work with Reggie & The Rams as they rehab for 2020 I believe?? Not sure but was reported like 2019 season ends ?? As well as Noteboom & Allen if that true ?? Unity ??

— you were right about Gurley & The Rams cap is tight. I think defense front 7 has always been The Rams focus on 2020 draft. Plus a WR will be drafted in top 4 Rds.

Ram65

Legend
I find it interesting that Snead said they were in talks with Blythe about coming back.

He looked decent the year before except in the SB but, that could have been because of the tell the Patsies picked up. He looked bad last year. Now, that could have been because of the ankle injury and the shoulders. This is getting harder to figure out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I find it interesting that Snead said they were in talks with Blythe about coming back.

Blythe's best position is Center, he's a cerebral player and the line play improved, when Blythe took over for Brian Allen, however, I still like to get bigger in the middle, but that's just me as Blythe doesn't get much push at the point of attack. I would like to see the Rams draft Cesar Ruiz (Michigan) or Tyler Biadasz (Wisconsin).

Last edited:

dang

Legend
OL predictions this offseason:

1. Whit signs one more year to help Rams figure out LT for next year
2. Rams sign another FA interior OL player. That could be Blythe but I hope they go for a more impactful OC like McGovern or Garland
3.Rams draft 2 OL. One that will compete for LOT next year and one interior OL

The OL seemed to gel at bit st the end of the season so I hope there is a lot less shuffling around this year.

Ram65

Legend
Blythe's best position is Center, he's a cerebral player and the line play improved, when Blythe took over for Brian Allen, however, I still like to get bigger in the middle, but that's just me as Blythe doesn't get much push at the point of attack. I would like to see the Rams draft Cesar Ruiz (Michigan) or Tyler Biadasz (Wisconsin).

The little video I watched I thought Biadasz got more push in the run game. I'm all for getting a bigger center. I didn't think there was much of a chance the Rams would resign Blythe but, it looks like there is some.

There were a lot of changes when Allen went down. I'm sure that Blythe was the difference at OC. I thought Allen did ok for his first year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There were a lot of changes when Allen went down. I'm sure that Blythe was the difference at OC. I thought Allen did ok for his first year.

I was not pleased when the Rams selected Brian Allen and less pleased when he took over for John Sullivan. Allen struggled with the line calls and he was getting assistance from Blythe, who knew the calls. Moving Blythe to Center and Corbett to LG, David Edwards to RG & Bobby Evans to RT did improve the Offensive Line play overall and a majority of the credit goes to Blythe with his line calls and consistency with the shotgun snap, which Brian Allen struggled with from time to time.

Again I'd like to get bigger at Center, but it's Blythe's best position and if Blythe has big guards around him, I would be fine moving forward, but I would like to see Brian Allen gone IMHO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
OL predictions this offseason:

1. Whit signs one more year to help Rams figure out LT for next year
2. Rams sign another FA interior OL player. That could be Blythe but I hope they go for a more impactful OC like McGovern or Garland
3.Rams draft 2 OL. One that will compete for LOT next year and one interior OL

The OL seemed to gel at bit st the end of the season so I hope there is a lot less shuffling around this year.
Tell me who on The Rams O”Line gets cut ??
They will only keep 8

Ram65

Legend
Moving Blythe to Center and Corbett to LG, David Edwards to RG & Bobby Evans to RT did improve the Offensive Line play overall and a majority of the credit goes to Blythe with his line calls and consistency with the shotgun snap, which Brian Allen struggled with from time to time.

The Rams changed the offensive line completely except for Whitworth. That's two new starters and four new positions. Blythe was making the line calls with Allen in the game so that shouldn't have changed the calls with Blythe at OC. IIRC Blythes snaps were better but, he got pushed back a lot and was missing blocks. (could have been his ankle). Allen had his flaws but, I'm not giving Blythe most of the credit for line improvement. Changes in personnel and easier opponents helped too. I'm not giving up on Allen. I thought he pass blocked good for the most part and made some good run blocks. I don't know what the Rams are thinking. Obviously, if they resign Blythe to play OC then Allens days could be numbered or he becomes a backup.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was not pleased when the Rams selected Brian Allen and less pleased when he took over for John Sullivan. Allen struggled with the line calls and he was getting assistance from Blythe, who knew the calls. Moving Blythe to Center and Corbett to LG, David Edwards to RG & Bobby Evans to RT did improve the Offensive Line play overall and a majority of the credit goes to Blythe with his line calls and consistency with the shotgun snap, which Brian Allen struggled with from time to time.

Again I'd like to get bigger at Center, but it's Blythe's best position and if Blythe has big guards around him, I would be fine moving forward, but I would like to see Brian Allen gone IMHO.
Sounds like my view. I”lol say though that Brian Allen deserves his chance to show what he can do. His play calling is questionable, but Blythe told Sullivan he was doing okay. Plus Jared Goff backed him up as well being the team guy that he is.

Brian Allen & Noteboom should have never been given a starting job even if they were the best option. There NFL experience is less than one season between them both, still after they were given the starting job.
Evans & Edwards have more experience than both plays. In fact they have more preseason experience as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams changed the offensive line completely except for Whitworth. That's two new starters and four new positions. Blythe was making the line calls with Allen in the game so that shouldn't have changed the calls with Blythe at OC. IIRC Blythes snaps were better but, he got pushed back a lot and was missing blocks. (could have been his ankle). Allen had his flaws but, I'm not giving Blythe most of the credit for line improvement. Changes in personnel and easier opponents helped too. I'm not giving up on Allen. I thought he pass blocked good for the most part and made some good run blocks. I don't know what the Rams are thinking. Obviously, if they resign Blythe to play OC then Allens days could be numbered or he becomes a backup.

It’s a no brainer in my eyes. The center position better with Blythe even if Allen beats him out. Blythe has been the starter for The Rams the last 2 seasons.So if he becomes the backup so be it ??
Brian Allen still has 2 seasons left on his contract so if there is an injury Blythe can slide over to guard for a couple snaps & Allen playing center.
I just think having everyone back from last year makes the Offensive Line so much better. Kromer has all these guys crossed trained.
I know everyone is down on both Allen & Blythe but if the price is right you resign Blythe. The Center pool in draft excellent with depth, but The Rams have much bigger needs.
I know that Ram fans don’t agree, but McSnead I’m sure do. This is going from the start of the Copper Kupp, Everett , & JJohnson days. There were a lot of upset fans. Add Reynolds as well.
MnSead ( Kromers)first season had how many lineman selected? Mcvay knows that he was lucky no injuries, but The Rams also have more depth now than then.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Tell me who on The Rams O”Line gets cut ??
They will only keep 8
They ended last year with 9 and 2 more on IR and 2 on PS. His scenario has us adding 2 to the roster right now. Easy calls would be Demby and Shelton or Brewer. It's way to early to tell and dealing in absolutes is always a risky proposition.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Blythe shouldn't be a starter for us if we want to have a dominant o-line, but if we're looking to re-sign him that should show everyone what kind of shape our line is in. He is a liability 1 on 1, and has been exposed for his lack of size and strength countless times over the past 2 seasons in the biggest games. But with Noteboom and Allen looking like complete busts last year, they obviously cant be counted on to start and our interior o-line is still a question mark, so we need Blythe's versatility more than skill. The late round rookies last year played well and we will need them to continue to improve if our line is going to compete at a higher level this year.

Not enough people are talking about Havenstein's horrendous season and the fact that he was one of the worst Tackles in all of football for no apparent reason. Are we just assuming he returns to average/good form? Are we sure that Whitworth can make it through an entire season at 38, or his play wont erode more this year?

With no first round pick, limited cap space, and diminishing talent on our 0-line, I sure hope Les and McVay have a master plan to build this o-line. Last year they bet BIG on two young, 2nd year players, and the line was a nightmare for majority of the season. With a declining RB and a QB that needs elite protection to be successful, we better be more aggressive in building our line for 2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe shouldn't be a starter for us if we want to have a dominant o-line, but if we're looking to re-sign him that should show everyone what kind of shape our line is in. He is a liability 1 on 1, and has been exposed for his lack of size and strength countless times over the past 2 seasons in the biggest games. But with Noteboom and Allen looking like complete busts last year, they obviously cant be counted on to start and our interior o-line is still a question mark, so we need Blythe's versatility more than skill. The late round rookies last year played well and we will need them to continue to improve if our line is going to compete at a higher level this year.

Not enough people are talking about Havenstein's horrendous season and the fact that he was one of the worst Tackles in all of football for no apparent reason. Are we just assuming he returns to average/good form? Are we sure that Whitworth can make it through an entire season at 38, or his play wont erode more this year?

With no first round pick, limited cap space, and diminishing talent on our 0-line, I sure hope Les and McVay have a master plan to build this o-line. Last year they bet BIG on two young, 2nd year players, and the line was a nightmare for majority of the season. With a declining RB and a QB that needs elite protection to be successful, we better be more aggressive in building our line for 2020.

We will know early on during the FA period on what direction The Rams are going, but I think will stay pretty much the same from reports.

dang

Legend
They ended last year with 9 and 2 more on IR and 2 on PS. His scenario has us adding 2 to the roster right now. Easy calls would be Demby and Shelton or Brewer. It's way to early to tell and dealing in absolutes is always a risky proposition.
LT - Whit, Draft Pick
LG - Corbett, Draft Pick
OC - FA, Allen
RG - Edwards
RT - Hav, Evans

PUP - Note
PS - Brewer

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LT - Whit, Draft Pick
LG - Corbett, Draft Pick
OC - FA, Allen
RG - Edwards
RT - Hav, Evans

PUP - Note
PS - Brewer
May I offer up a suggestion where you might desire to re review your position on Chandler Brewer.

OG/OT Chandler Brewer was the Rams #6 OL when OT Bobby Evans took over the RT starting post when Havenstein injured his knee wk#10. When Havenstein came off the injury list after wk#14, Chandler Brewer continued to dress & was active for the rest of the season. Havenstein did not even dress for the last 3 games even though he was no longer on the injury list.

Rookie Brewer lined up & played all four OL posts in preseason. Brewer is a very good swing OT/OG reserve. Brewer gives McVay the ability to go into game day dressing only 7 OL'ers.

In addition, I see you did not list interior OL'er 6-5/300 lbs Coleman Shelton who was Kromer #7 OL'er when the 2019 season ended. When the 2019 season ended Shelton has played & was active for 11 gms for Kromer. When Shelton was playing @ Washington Huskies coaches moved Shelton around regularly throughout his first three seasons on the field, Starting him at every position on the front line. His Sr season he started 13 gms @ OC. Shelton will be entering his 3rd NFL training camp in 2020.

Both Brewer & Shelton are on my projected 2020 Ram OL unit. Brewer is my projected reserve swing OG (either #6 or #7 Kromer OL). Shelton would be my projected #8 or #9 Kromer OL'er.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s a no brainer in my eyes. The center position better with Blythe even if Allen beats him out. Blythe has been the starter for The Rams the last 2 seasons.So if he becomes the backup so be it ??
Brian Allen still has 2 seasons left on his contract so if there is an injury Blythe can slide over to guard for a couple snaps & Allen playing center.
I just think having everyone back from last year makes the Offensive Line so much better. Kromer has all these guys crossed trained.
I know everyone is down on both Allen & Blythe but if the price is right you resign Blythe. The Center pool in draft excellent with depth, but The Rams have much bigger needs.
I know that Ram fans don’t agree, but McSnead I’m sure do. This is going from the start of the Copper Kupp, Everett , & JJohnson days. There were a lot of upset fans. Add Reynolds as well.
MnSead ( Kromers)first season had how many lineman selected? Mcvay knows that he was lucky no injuries, but The Rams also have more depth now than then.
Allen's biggest problem was his pass pro. He actually did some good things in the run game, particularly showing mobility when pulling to get second level and make blocks on the move. But his pass sets Holy Jesus. I mean the guy just got knocked back into Goff's face way too much. Then of course his second issue was how he managed the OL and his line calls where his inexperience showed. So I'd say at this point he's a longshot, one of those guys who will need to make big improvements and then prove it in limited looks and preseason games to remake the team's opinion of him.

Blythe at OG ironically enough wasn't much of a help for Allen though. I say that because the OG positions were upgraded by Blythe moving over to Center when he had Corbett and Edwards next to him. Those two guys are very strong and made the interior much more difficult to bully. But that said he played better overall than Allen, so I get the fans clamoring to keep him. Center is a position you can hide guys, but one thing they have to be able to do in this offense is run the line well, so Blythe is an option albeit a shitty one.

The Rams do not have an in-house answer they can trust in at Center. And that includes Blythe even if they bring him back.

So IMO the Rams will look hard at a guy like McGovern in FA to allow for them to have a more BPA approach in the draft. If they don't bring in an upgrade then Center will be a high enough need to where they will need to solve it quickly in the draft, i.e. probably at 52.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the Rams should draft a center at #52 unless the guy is an instant starter, which I doubt would happen. They can draft a center in the third or fourth round, and let him gain some strength and experience on the bench... a la Brian Allen. Although the goal would be to develop someone better than what they currently have. They need an instant starter at #52.. maybe a defensive lineman (even if in a rotation), or linebacker, or edge. JMHO

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Allen's biggest problem was his pass pro. He actually did some good things in the run game, particularly showing mobility when pulling to get second level and make blocks on the move. But his pass sets Holy Jesus. I mean the guy just got knocked back into Goff's face way too much. Then of course his second issue was how he managed the OL and his line calls where his inexperience showed. So I'd say at this point he's a longshot, one of those guys who will need to make big improvements and then prove it in limited looks and preseason games to remake the team's opinion of him.

Blythe at OG ironically enough wasn't much of a help for Allen though. I say that because the OG positions were upgraded by Blythe moving over to Center when he had Corbett and Edwards next to him. Those two guys are very strong and made the interior much more difficult to bully. But that said he played better overall than Allen, so I get the fans clamoring to keep him. Center is a position you can hide guys, but one thing they have to be able to do in this offense is run the line well, so Blythe is an option albeit a shitty one.

The Rams do not have an in-house answer they can trust in at Center. And that includes Blythe even if they bring him back.

So IMO the Rams will look hard at a guy like McGovern in FA to allow for them to have a more BPA approach in the draft. If they don't bring in an upgrade then Center will be a high enough need to where they will need to solve it quickly in the draft, i.e. probably at 52.