Rams sign WR Demarcus Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Led the team in rec & yards by a WR too
This guy is legit and more than just camp fodder
Agreed. Plus, I don't think you can gauge a WR's talent having Jackson at QB. (See Robert Woods).
They aslo just signed OBJ, and therefore maybe felt DR was expendable.

And @AvengerRam is right in that it doesn't say anything one way or another about our existing WR corps. You never know boys...you just never know.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It tells us very little about the WR group, and nothing about any specific WR (i.e. Tutu). We have one guy who is a lock to start and play a big role (Kupp), another who is a near lock (Jefferson), some veterans competing for roles (Robinson, T.Johnson, Tutu, Skowronek) and some young, first and second year guys (McCutcheon, Nacua, Trammell) trying to find a place on the roster.

We're a long way from knowing what the depth chart will look like in September.
Well I'm not even saying it tells us who will be pure locks in that WR group but anything past Kupp and Jefferson are no locks to contribute so i agree with you there. It tells me they aren't satisfied sitting on their laurels and feel they need to get more outta the WR group. Still tells me the jury is out on most of our WR group. Honestly interested to see how it all plays out.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
7 years in the league and hasn't missed a game. Dude is durable. That might be a reason they wanted him.

Psycho_X

Legend
Led the team in rec & yards by a WR too
This guy is legit and more than just camp fodder
I mean, leading the WR room in Baltimore last year isn't exactly something to boast about. But he had been serviceable to the teams he has been on so no slouch I agree.

As for people worried about the cap I'm assuming he signed a 1 year pretty minimal deal. And cap only counts the top 51 players salary wise. So even if he is in the top 51 he would bump off whoever was #51 which would offset the impact. So if Robinson cost $1.2 million (made up numbers) but player 51 salary was $1 million it'd only increase our cap by $200k. So I'm going to assume the impact is negligible.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Jefferson has an injury history.. the default #3 WR right now is... no one.
Bringing in a guy who's had a decent career and is still pretty young for good value makes sense. Lots of youth in that room at the moment.
Puka can be showing out in OTAs.. but he's a rookie. If he beats out Robinson when the season starts, great!!

These two new guys aren't competing for roster spots unless someone has a longer term injury that we don't know about which is a possibility. Skow is out right now with a foot thing, hopefully just precaution. These guys are most likely here because of short term injuries (see Kupp) and cause the rookies aren't running the right routes with the right spacing and McVay isn't getting the practice reps he wants out of OTAs and he's noting that going into TC.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t think the Rams are going to go out and sign someone they think is a camp body (outside extra QBs to throw practice reps). This guys is not there just to run routes in practice.

Something yet undisclosed is going on in the WR group.

He looks serviceable, I don’t care for how he handles the ball way to much in one hand while trying to fend off tacklers.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
These two new guys aren't competing for roster spots unless someone has a longer term injury that we don't know about which is a possibility. Skow is out right now with a foot thing, hopefully just precaution. These guys are most likely here because of short term injuries (see Kupp) and cause the rookies aren't running the right routes with the right spacing and McVay isn't getting the practice reps he wants out of OTAs and he's noting that going into TC.
I agree on Johnson.. but Robinson caught 48 balls for last year’s Super Bowl champ and he returns kicks. I’d bet on him making the team.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Rams getting ready to part ways with VJefferson?
You need to stop reading TurfShowTimes! :laugh1:
5f06bb48bd854519ae12e299afc15122.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
I agree on Johnson.. but Robinson caught 48 balls for last year’s Super Bowl champ and he returns kicks. I’d bet on him making the team.
Him returning kicks was def something that Jourdan mentioned but she also said it's about the young guys learning how to practice from a vet (since so many of our vet guys are in and out with injuries and rest days right now).

Edit: Oh, there's the thread above that mentions it.

TheTackle

Starter
We need some vets running with the 2nd team to help Stetson develop. That said he might stick

Good question about the practice squad. Can we stash him there still because that would be a good move

oldnotdead

Legend
The guy has character concerns which he had in college and has to some degree carried over into the NFL Look at how much he's bounced around. Look hard enough and there is usually a problem. He's got the skillset of a #3 or 4 WR so why is he a FA? Skowronek lacks the speed and agility to get separation and it's a concern. I think he's camp insurance.

If there is a bubble sitter WR IMO it's Skowronek. He consistently struggles to get open. The Rams have their 3 starting WRs in Kupp, Jefferson, and Nacua. I think they are churning the pot to see if they can improve behind them.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not when the Rams haven't been as active in FA and have to allocate those resources carefully. Tells me something about the WR group since we are supposedly ok there depth wise. May or may not be in relation to Tutu directly but still says something about our WR group for now.
He is likely here on vet min deal and has little effect on the cap

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he will have a chance to stick. Stafford threw to guys like him most of his career in Detroit for his 3rd/4th option

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also, I would say bringing in a vet like Robinson makes me think they now really believe they can compete for post season birth, otherwise why make a move for a veteran who will be taking away reps from the young guys?

And a vet WR like him will help develop the young DB's as well. Covering UDFA's will not be as challenging as dealing with a savvy vet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View: https://twitter.com/TheRamsWire/status/1666852680277405696

They're bringing in a 2nd guy now too. Hope this is just cause they're light in the WR room with Kupp being weaned back in slowly and Skow with some minor injury and doesn't speak to some bigger injury issue that we don't know about.

IMO - Ben SKO STINKS & will get cut!! Special teams is his saving grace & with all the Young DB’s his number becomes less impactful.

Ben Sko has proven he can’t catch a football very well & does not get open in space.

I liked him his rookie year because he would flow into the slot easily on short screens,but that is all play calling.