Rams Sign Six College Free Agents, Waive Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Myles Simmons‏Verified account@MylesASimmons
A little bit of news from McVay regarding #LARams LB. Doesn't say too much about the ILB position, other than the four veteran players would have the leg up. But at OLB, McVay mentions Longacre & Ebukam then says Morgan Fox will be another player in the mix at that position.

Another possibility for the OLB spot in Fox. What a battle that is going to be.
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/mcvay-indicates-rams-lb-competition-is-wide-open.54474/
Good information pmil66 !(y)

Morgan Fox has put on some lbs since his college playing days...he started with the Rams @ 6-3 263 lbs. Last season he was around 275lbs & came in much thicker (bloated) to play the 5 tech post behind Westbrooks but Westbrooks was replaced by Brockers. One would guess that Fox can get trimmed down & use his pass rush quickness like his SR. season @ Colorado State-Pueblo 259lbs.

Longacre prior to 2017 season was a 43 DE playing around 6-3 265 plus lbs then dropped a good 10 lbs to play this 34 D Edge for Wade. Fox was our lightest DL'er last season. It was evident in the playoff game Fox was not stout & powerful enough to help the Rams stop the run after DL Brockers went down early in the 2nd quarter. Thus it appears Fox will be moved to follow Matt Longacre's fairly good success to play one of the Edge Rusher posts this season.

I was thinking that Fox would be moved this season from the 5 tech to the 3 tech post & had posted some indicating this but I sure missed this planned move to the edge. I just happen to like it :yay:& would expect for Fox to do as well as Matt did or even better.(y)

I would expect that the roster spot that Fox held last season as the main back up to Brockers to now go to either rookie John Franklin-Myers & Ethan Westbrooks. No loss there.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Might be:coffee:
I do recall that we all on here discussed this safety Chucky Williams some & it was reported in a tweet after the draft concluded that SW had been signed however that was not factual. I would imagine CW was notified that he would be brought in for a" look see". I had CW on my list with other possible initial 2018 90 player Ram roster but I could not see anything until this newest info came out.

Does seem that ROD is far ahead of the curve in getting the newest & factual Ram information available to its members(y)

If I were Lamarcus Joyner & I wanted to remain a Ram after this season I would be looking to sign a new long term contract that would help him in his future here & help the Ram team getting a few of the top players signed & under long term contract too. His $11.3 million cap hit is way above what this under 5-8 DB brings to the Ram defense now after the signing of two pro bowl corners & the best Nickel Back in the NFLo_O

I believe we are seeing the Rams future safety cadre plan begin to unfold. Snead said year ago that he places much higher value in corners than safeties. Rams will soon be looking for available big $$$ to get Peters under a future long term contract & paying big $$ for LJ would be a sure offer up some serious road blocks......
I agree, if LJ wants to be a RAM next year, he'd better get a long term contract done before this year starts. After that it becomes less likely that one will ever get done, and he won't get tagged next year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/McElroy-Reflects-on-Unlikely-Journey-to-the-NFL-/cd9c233f-7908-4c9c-8025-975c593e7428

McElroy Reflects on Unlikely Journey to the NFL
Kristen Lago

The majority of NFL players share a similar path to the league — high school football athlete, to college football prospect, and finally to professional football player.

But for tight end Codey McElroy, the journey looks quite different — consisting of a stint in minor league baseball and a season spent in college basketball, before finally signing with the Rams as an undrafted free agent.

“Coming out of high school I was a baseball player,” McElroy said. “I didn’t have football. I graduated with 18 kids, so we played baseball and basketball.”

From there, the 6-foot-6, 255-pound athlete went onto play baseball at the University of Texas and Cameron University. He then spent a year in the Braves farm system, before deciding that baseball was not the “route I wanted to go with my life.”

He was ready, he says, to try something new.

“I had one year left of eligibility and that’s when I went back to Oklahoma State and I walked on the basketball team there — had a great experience,” he said. “But I was out of eligibility, so I graduated and was coaching baseball and thought I was done with my athletic career.”

It turned out his career was far from over. McElroy went back to school — fully intending to graduate with a safety degree and become an engineer in the oil fields. Instead, the tight end walked on with the Southeastern football team and began to make a name for himself in a sport he had never played.

“When I first started playing I just wanted to help the team win, I wanted to enjoy it,” McElroy said. “That was the plan going into it, [but] after the first couple of weeks I started to realize that I maybe had a chance to do something, to make this work and make a run for it.”

The Rams thought so too. McElroy said the club was one of the first to call him, keeping in contact
throughout the pre-draft process and ultimately throughout the college free agency period.

Although McElroy has the least experience of any current players on the roster, head coach Sean McVay believes his athleticism and size will serve him well throughout the offseason.

“Not a lot of football experience, but a lot of upside that you’ve seen,” he said recently. “[Pass game coordinator] Shane Waldron did a great job with kind of being able to study him and get a good feel for him, as somebody we wanted to attack, and identify as someone who was a priority free agent for us.”

Plus, being a multi-sport athlete, McElroy is confident that he will be able to pick up the new schemes and information quickly and adjust to his new environment.

“Yesterday and today, it was a ton of information, but they’ve done a great job of explaining the things to me,” he said. “But I think at this position, it’s a position that you can take some athletes from other sports and if they have the size and athleticism, teach them some things that they don’t know. I think we can make it work.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I expect the Rams to keep 4 Tight Ends with Everett, Higbee & Temarrick Hemingway being the obvious first three, especially with Hemingway being back, IMO, he could really add something special in the red zone. And the last spot going to either Johnny Mundt, who showed some flashes, Henry Kreiger- Coble, who is closer to Derrick Carrier and of course soon to be fan favorite Codey McElroy, who most will think will need a year on the practice squad for seasoning, however, it only takes a few big plays in preseason and alas, dreams do come true on September Morn.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/LA-Native-Steven-Mitchell-Receives-Opportunity-to-Play-For-Hometown-Team-/7ac20ff8-ef60-4366-b126-9a2d6a11cb31

L.A. Native Steven Mitchell Receives Opportunity to Play For Hometown Team
Kristen Lago

There’s not many players in the league who get the chance to sign with a club located in the same city as their college program. There’s even fewer who receive the opportunity to play high school ball, college ball, and professional football all within a 50-mile radius.

But wide receiver Steven Mitchell — who recently signed with Los Angeles as an undrafted free agent — is one such player.

“Honestly it’s a blessing. I didn’t know where I would land as far as the whole draft
process, but one thing my parents told me is to always believe in God’s plan, and that’s what I did,” he said. “To stay in L.A. and I’m at home — I played in the Coliseum all four years — I’m excited.”

tempJL8_1563_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Mitchell grew up in the San Fernando Valley and went to high school at Bishop Alemany, before heading to USC.

And while he finished his college career as one of the Trojans’ most productive wide receivers — recording 644 receiving yards and four touchdowns in 2017 — Mitchell’s tenure was not without its share of challenges, including them two season-ending injuries.

“It was tough in the beginning,” he admitted. “After I tore my first ACL, that was pretty hard, but when I tore my left one, I knew all the right things to do and what not to do. So, it’s been pretty uplifting. I played the whole season last year healthy and I just contributed as much as possible. So, I’m just happy to be here.”

L.A. was among one of the first teams to contact Mitchell after the draft. And though he admitted that like every college player, “the dream was to get drafted,” Mitchell said he believes the Rams will offer a unique chance to compete at and reach his highest potential.

“I think that just added a chip on my shoulder. It makes me play even harder,” he said. “This is a dream come true. I’m going to make my family proud, make the Rams family proud. I don’t think it could have went any better.”

Plus, when he arrived at the Rams facility on Monday, the wideout was happy to see a familiar face in former USC standout, Robert Woods. In coming onto a team with such a talented wide receiving corps, Mitchell hopes learning from veteran players like Woods, will help him to carve out his own path.

“We were out on the field today [and] if you see videos, I was focused on him and all the older vets — seeing everything that they do, [watching] their techniques and how they run their routes,” Mitchell said. “It’s pretty much being a student really. I know my abilities, so what I have to do is get out on the field and just show the coaches what I can do.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/LA-Native-Steven-Mitchell-Receives-Opportunity-to-Play-For-Hometown-Team-/7ac20ff8-ef60-4366-b126-9a2d6a11cb31

L.A. Native Steven Mitchell Receives Opportunity to Play For Hometown Team
Kristen Lago

There’s not many players in the league who get the chance to sign with a club located in the same city as their college program. There’s even fewer who receive the opportunity to play high school ball, college ball, and professional football all within a 50-mile radius.

But wide receiver Steven Mitchell — who recently signed with Los Angeles as an undrafted free agent — is one such player.

“Honestly it’s a blessing. I didn’t know where I would land as far as the whole draft
process, but one thing my parents told me is to always believe in God’s plan, and that’s what I did,” he said. “To stay in L.A. and I’m at home — I played in the Coliseum all four years — I’m excited.”

tempJL8_1563_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Mitchell grew up in the San Fernando Valley and went to high school at Bishop Alemany, before heading to USC.

And while he finished his college career as one of the Trojans’ most productive wide receivers — recording 644 receiving yards and four touchdowns in 2017 — Mitchell’s tenure was not without its share of challenges, including them two season-ending injuries.

“It was tough in the beginning,” he admitted. “After I tore my first ACL, that was pretty hard, but when I tore my left one, I knew all the right things to do and what not to do. So, it’s been pretty uplifting. I played the whole season last year healthy and I just contributed as much as possible. So, I’m just happy to be here.”

L.A. was among one of the first teams to contact Mitchell after the draft. And though he admitted that like every college player, “the dream was to get drafted,” Mitchell said he believes the Rams will offer a unique chance to compete at and reach his highest potential.

“I think that just added a chip on my shoulder. It makes me play even harder,” he said. “This is a dream come true. I’m going to make my family proud, make the Rams family proud. I don’t think it could have went any better.”

Plus, when he arrived at the Rams facility on Monday, the wideout was happy to see a familiar face in former USC standout, Robert Woods. In coming onto a team with such a talented wide receiving corps, Mitchell hopes learning from veteran players like Woods, will help him to carve out his own path.

“We were out on the field today [and] if you see videos, I was focused on him and all the older vets — seeing everything that they do, [watching] their techniques and how they run their routes,” Mitchell said. “It’s pretty much being a student really. I know my abilities, so what I have to do is get out on the field and just show the coaches what I can do.”
Not a better WR to learn from IMO. Best WR on the field last season & a class act!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a better WR to learn from IMO. Best WR on the field last season & a class act!

And many wrote that Rams overpaid for Woods, then they were writing that nobody knew he was that fast...That's because we live in a highlight society, watch the games Gentlemen, actually sit down and watch the games or do crunches and push ups while watching the games, but watch them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I expect the Rams to keep 4 Tight Ends with Everett, Higbee & Temarrick Hemingway being the obvious first three, especially with Hemingway being back, IMO, he could really add something special in the red zone. And the last spot going to either Johnny Mundt, who showed some flashes, Henry Kreiger- Coble, who is closer to Derrick Carrier and of course soon to be fan favorite Codey McElroy, who most will think will need a year on the practice squad for seasoning, however, it only takes a few big plays in preseason and alas, dreams do come true on September Morn.
No unit in this Ram team contributed less last season than our TE unit. One element that pops right in my face is the need for a solid sure handed pass catcher. Higbee & Everett hands were awful & totally non productive. The TE with the best hands is now departed due to FA'cy that would be Carrier. Johnny Mundt does have a great set of soft hands but is nowhere close to the athlete that Higbee/ Hemingway/ Everett are. I see Hemingway differently that you den I see a fluid runner who is as smooth as they come. I have very little faith in Higbee will ever be a solid ball catcher.

I hope that this new big 6-6 255 lb UDFA Codey McElroy proves to have a great set of mitts on him because we sure need for someone to turn up the production from this very dull unit.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hope that this new big 6-6 255 lb UDFA Codey McElroy proves to have a great set of mitts on him because we sure need for someone to turn up the production from this very dull unit.

I thought Higbee improved as the season progressed and I agree on Hemingway being a fluid runner and being able to split the seam, the question is, how will his hands be? As to Gerald Everett, I believe you will see more jet sweeps featuring Everett being a former running back, that should aid in him gaining confidence and hopefully that translates into the passing game. Mundt can catch, but can he create seperation and we also know that Mundt is not the greatest blocker and that is the role IMHO, that the 4th TE will play and that 4th TE must also be able to handle the H-block position like Carrier. In the end, that player just might be former Iowa Hawkeye Henry Krieger-Coble, his tape shows the potential to help in a zone blocking scheme as well as the ability to win against man coverage.

As to McElroy, might be asking quite a bit from someone who only played like a couple years of football, but you never know.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let’s see...

We have 14-15 players competing for 8-10 positions on the OL?

And another 14-15 players competing for, at most, 8 positions at LB?

Do I have that right?

Now THAT is the very definition of a series of fierce camp competitions. Gawd!

One thing seems certain. Both Kromer/McVay and Wade/Barry will be happy with the survivors of these many months-long battles.

We have come a long way from ‘16, baby!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought Higbee improved as the season progressed

As to McElroy, might be asking quite a bit from someone who only played like a couple years of football, but you never know.

I have to say something controversial.....

I think it's time to move on from Higbee....never saw clear improvement....in pass catching....maybe as a run blocker...

I like McElroy's skill set...seems tougher....and I bet he can catch the ball better in traffic.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like McElroy's skill set...seems tougher....and I bet he can catch the ball better in traffic.

Well, let me see him play before I can make that analyses and let us not forget the reason Higbee dropped was because of a bar fight so I'm quite sure The Kentuckian is pretty tough!
p4813_d_v8_aa.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
No unit in this Ram team contributed less last season than our TE unit. One element that pops right in my face is the need for a solid sure handed pass catcher. Higbee & Everett hands were awful & totally non productive. The TE with the best hands is now departed due to FA'cy that would be Carrier. Johnny Mundt does have a great set of soft hands but is nowhere close to the athlete that Higbee/ Hemingway/ Everett are. I see Hemingway differently that you den I see a fluid runner who is as smooth as they come. I have very little faith in Higbee will ever be a solid ball catcher.

I wonder if the TE unit will ever contribute as much given all the passes and focus on the #3 WR Kupp and #1 RB Gurley. As I recall, the Redskins didn't target their RB with nearly as high a percentage per pass as the Rams targeted Gurley.

Ram65

Legend
I have to say something controversial.....

I think it's time to move on from Higbee....never saw clear improvement....in pass catching....maybe as a run blocker...

Let' give Higbee this year before we close the door on him. His blocking got better. He showed up on the highlight videos now and then with some nice catches. He has shown he is hard to bring down as he runs hard. Had he made those tough catches in the end zone we might see him a little different. He had 25 catches for 295 yards 1 TD 11.8 YPC.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let' give Higbee this year before we close the door on him. His blocking got better. He showed up on the highlight videos now and then with some nice catches. He has shown he is hard to bring down as he runs hard. Had he made those tough catches in the end zone we might see him a little different. He had 25 catches for 295 yards 1 TD 11.8 YPC.

i have never seen him catch the ball with a defender on him. that drop in the endzone in the playoffs was the final straw for me. you couldn't get an easier catch and he let it slip out of his hands because some defender was touching him. awful.