McVay indicates Rams' LB competition is wide open

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...an-mcvay-linebacker-competition-rookies-camp/
By: Cameron DaSilva

Entering the offseason, linebacker wasn’t viewed as a major need for the Los Angeles Rams. It certainly wasn’t thought to have been higher than cornerback or wide receiver on the priority list.

With three of the four starters under contract, the Rams were looking at maybe adding one edge rusher to the first-team unit. After trading Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn, the Rams are looking at three new starters at linebacker.

Sean McVay and Wade Phillips haven’t sounded overly concerned by that fact, waiting until the fifth round to draft a single linebacker. The Rams were hardly aggressive in free agency, signing only Ramik Wilson.

That begs the question of who exactly will line up next to Mark Barron, and who will be the primary edge rushers. Los Angeles still has three-plus months to figure that out, but that process begins in the near future.

Here’s how McVay sees the competition right now.

“I think when you look at the four veterans specific to the inside linebacker position, guys that have had production in this league,” McVay said Tuesday. “You look at Mark Barron, you look at Cory Littleton when he got an opportunity to start in place of Mark last year, how great he played against Tennessee. Bryce Hager stepped in when [Alec Ogletree] got hurt in the Arizona game. And then Ramik Wilson is a guy that’s played a lot of good football for a great defense in Kansas City the last handful of years.”

There isn’t a ton of experience in that group, but Barron and Wilson do have a number of games under their belts. Littleton and Hager are the underdogs of that group, but there’s no denying the former’s playmaking ability after the show he put on against the Titans last season.

McVay didn’t mention fifth-round pick Micah Kiser or any other linebackers, but he and Tegray Scales will undoubtedly have the chance to compete, too. Still, the veterans might have a slight edge.

“Those are guys that have played football, they’re NFL-caliber players you feel confident in,” he added. “Then those other guys will come in and get a chance to compete and it’s going to be one day at a time. By no means are they coming in ahead of anybody else. Those guys have kind of earned the right to be guys that are taking those first few reps, then we’ll see how they accelerate and perform.”

Outside linebacker is a bit more concerning for the Rams, given how important it is when it comes to generating pressure and creating turnovers. Los Angeles has enough bodies and run-stoppers in the middle, but the outside linebacker position is a bit thin on top-tier talent.

McVay shed some light on that competition, as well, saying Morgan Fox will kick outside after primarily playing defensive end last season.

“Matt Longacre is a guy that’s had some success. Morgan Fox is a guy that we feel like is gonna allow us to play outside a little more because of his athleticism and position flex,” McVay said. “Samson Ebukam is a guy that we expect to take strides, which he demonstrated throughout the year. I think when you look at some of those guys, we’ve had some production from those outside rusher spots and we’re excited about seeing these guys continue to grow.” LB'er is really the Rams’ only position of need, but don’t expect them to address it from the outside. They’ll almost certainly fill those holes from within.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, per Adrian Gonzales tweet, the Rams had 14 Defensive Linemen and 12 Linebackers and @Memphis Ram astutely communicated that point, with the Morgan Fox switch to OLB, that puts the total at a baker's dozen at each position.

Ram65

Legend
“Matt Longacre is a guy that’s had some success. Morgan Fox is a guy that we feel like is gonna allow us to play outside a little more because of his athleticism and position flex,” McVay said.

Sounds more like Fox will be a swing guy playing both DL and OLBer. We looked at the numbers in another thread on the defensive line. If they kept six Fox could be in trouble. These guys make the 53 man roster

Donald
Suh
Brockers
Easly
JFM

Fox playing both spots gives the Rams better depth. Good guy to keep around.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds more like Fox will be a swing guy playing both DL and OLBer. We looked at the numbers in another thread on the defensive line. If they kept six Fox could be in trouble. These guys make the 53 man roster

Donald
Suh
Brockers
Easly
JFM

Fox playing both spots gives the Rams better depth. Good guy to keep around.
Yes agree that Fox stands to be in trouble if he had remained in the DL unit. Coach Johnson will want a solid young NT as the 6th Dl'er.??? Bryant/Murphy/Joseph

Westbrooks would return back to the 5 tech post to fight with Franklin to back up Brockers . Smart/Keene would be fighting it out with Easley to back up Donald @ the 3 tech.

As last year we did see both OLB/ER's Quinn/ Longacre & Barwin move into the DL in the four man front on passing downs. I would expect the this same type of duty & reps with this purposed Morgan Fox plan. Lets say on the base 34 D we see Fox & Longacre on both edges on first downs with Brockers/Suh/Donald in the DL ....these two Longacre/Fox appear to be stout & gear'd to stop the run & contain the edge. We had issues in 2017 with edge starters Quinn & Barwin in outside containment.

Are you thinking that Fox will continue practice with the DL unit? or will he follow what Quinn & Longacre did last season , where both of them move from the DL unit to practice & attend meetings in the LB'ing unit & coach Barry.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes agree that Fox stands to be in trouble if he had remained in the DL unit. Coach Johnson will want a solid young NT as the 6th Dl'er.??? Bryant/Murphy/Joseph

Westbrooks would return back to the 5 tech post to fight with Franklin to back up Brockers . Smart/Keene would be fighting it out with Easley to back up Donald @ the 3 tech.

As last year we did see both OLB/ER's Quinn/ Longacre & Barwin move into the DL in the four man front on passing downs. I would expect the this same type of duty & reps with this purposed Morgan Fox plan. Lets say on the base 34 D we see Fox & Longacre on both edges on first downs with Brockers/Suh/Donald in the DL ....these two Longacre/Fox appear to be stout & gear'd to stop the run & contain the edge. We had issues in 2017 with edge starters Quinn & Barwin in outside containment.

Are you thinking that Fox will continue practice with the DL unit? or will he follow what Quinn & Longacre did last season , where both of them move from the DL unit to practice with the LB'ing unit & coach Barry.

These 2 are lunch pale guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay shed some light on that competition, as well, saying Morgan Fox will kick outside after primarily playing defensive end last season.

“Matt Longacre is a guy that’s had some success. Morgan Fox is a guy that we feel like is gonna allow us to play outside a little more because of his athleticism and position flex,” McVay said. “Samson Ebukam is a guy that we expect to take strides, which he demonstrated throughout the year. I think when you look at some of those guys, we’ve had some production from those outside rusher spots and we’re excited about seeing these guys continue to grow.” LB'er is really the Rams’ only position of need, but don’t expect them to address it from the outside. They’ll almost certainly fill those holes from within.

Interesting note there Boni. And of course I have to assume that he'll be tried at LOLB, in Barwin's spot. Not sure how well he'll contain, think that will determine whether he ends up with a roster spot.

I like Fox a lot btw. But this means he'd better demonstrate some effectiveness at LB. Hope this works out for him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I like this^, It sounds like a great way to start the Pre-Season! JMHO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right now my guess on the starters:

ROLB Oko

>>>>WILB Barron

>>>>SILB Littleton

LOLB Longacre

My thinking is Matt Longacre is ideal for a strongside role, and his contain is better than one would think for a guy who's not a freak/twitch athlete. What would be ideal is if Ebukam steps up and wins that job but either way the depth is key too. We might see Ebu vs Oko on the right side in camp, really can't wait to see how they project these guys/line them up when camp starts.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Is Longacre healthy yet? Haven't seen him or Barron in practice photos.

I would like to see Fox stick around, thought he played well last year, and OLB could be a good spot for him. Strong, fast, athletic.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd be curious to know what type of size Mr Fox is playing at these days?

Great post at Boni.....I think this clears things up a bit....Barron & Littleton. Hagar & Wilson.....now it's up to the rookies to beat them out...

I expect Kiser or Scales or Howard to do just that with one of these men.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think our linebacking corps is in better shape than we realize.

We don't need a star at every level. But either Samsom or Obo will emerge as a star, because they are set up for success, with attention given to the three-headed beast inside, Donsuhbrock. :whistle:

Also, with our corners and back end taking receiver separation away, our edge guys will have that extra second or two to crush Jimmy, Wussle and Breakford. They will look good

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
LBer will be our top export, drafting low, they will look like phenoms in Wades D, bracketed by elite Dlines and Secondary. We will trade them and keep a steady stream of draft capital for Sneads addiction lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Is Longacre healthy yet? Haven't seen him or Barron in practice photos.

I would like to see Fox stick around, thought he played well last year, and OLB could be a good spot for him. Strong, fast, athletic.
Most of the practices so far have been a rookie focus, not a ton of work from the vets. Plus pictures usually focus on star power and draft picks/udfa which he isn’t either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our linebacking corps is in better shape than we realize.

We don't need a star at every level. But either Samsom or Obo will emerge as a star, because they are set up for success, with attention given to the three-headed beast inside, Donsuhbrock. :whistle:

Also, with our corners and back end taking receiver separation away, our edge guys will have that extra second or two to crush Jimmy, Wussle and Breakford. They will look good
Agreed, the star power is in front and behind them. We just need solid play from the LB corp. The others will make them look better.

Ram65

Legend

I'm not sure one of these guys makes the roster. Knock on wood that Donald and Suh both play a lot of snaps. Brockers can play NT as a backup. Westbooks too if they keep him.

Sounds good. Westbrooks can move around too. My money's on Easly but, they will compete.

Lets say on the base 34 D we see Fox & Longacre on both edges on first downs with Brockers/Suh/Donald in the DL ....these two Longacre/Fox appear to be stout & gear'd to stop the run & contain the edge. We had issues in 2017 with edge starters Quinn & Barwin in outside containment.

That would be my guess. Also if teams come out heavey with extra tackle like the Skins did these two would have the bulk to take the run on.

Are you thinking that Fox will continue practice with the DL unit? or will he follow what Quinn & Longacre did last season , where both of them move from the DL unit to practice & attend meetings in the LB'ing unit & coach Barry.

Good question. He probably has more to learn as an OLBer. Fox graded out at Poor 59.1 from PFF at DE so maybe they give him more time with the LBers to see what he can do.

Edit: Reading between the lines maybe, he has to make the team as more of an outside LBer.

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Most of the practices so far have been a rookie focus, not a ton of work from the vets. Plus pictures usually focus on star power and draft picks/udfa which he isn’t either.
The rookies have only been in the most recent practice photos, the vets were in them too. There are hundreds of other photos focusing on everyone, Fox, Thompson, Westbrooks, Rogers, Littleton, Christian, etc. Even in wide shots with multiple players he's nowhere to be found. The lack of photos doesn't prove that he isn't healthy but I'd assume that there would be at least one of him in his jersey doing drills. Maybe I'll find out Monday when ota's start.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rookies have only been in the most recent practice photos, the vets were in them too. There are hundreds of other photos focusing on everyone, Fox, Thompson, Westbrooks, Rogers, Littleton, Christian, etc. Even in wide shots with multiple players he's nowhere to be found. The lack of photos doesn't prove that he isn't healthy but I'd assume that there would be at least one of him in his jersey doing drills. Maybe I'll find out Monday when ota's start.
A couple things also that lead me to believe he's fine. First when McVay was asked after the first day who participated he said everybody but Donald, and we know why he isn't there. Also every time we've seen him or Wade talk about the LB crew they mention Longacre being a big part but never saying when he gets healthy. If he was out still and they were talking about it I tend to think they'd mention he wasn't ready. Also strolling through their pictures of the 5 day camp I came across this pic. Now he's trimmed the hair and the beard but this looks from the side like a 96. Still wearing the gloves like he always has.

View: http://www.therams.com/photos/photo-gallery/PHOTOS-Phase-Two-Day-Three/3407c48b-b7be-4440-abb6-a0d9380e53d2#293a028c-0c30-41bf-a35e-82a76a86ee90

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
A couple things also that lead me to believe he's fine. First when McVay was asked after the first day who participated he said everybody but Donald, and we know why he isn't there. Also every time we've seen him or Wade talk about the LB crew they mention Longacre being a big part but never saying when he gets healthy. If he was out still and they were talking about it I tend to think they'd mention he wasn't ready. Also strolling through their pictures of the 5 day camp I came across this pic. Now he's trimmed the hair and the beard but this looks from the side like a 96. Still wearing the gloves like he always has.

View: http://www.therams.com/photos/photo-gallery/PHOTOS-Phase-Two-Day-Three/3407c48b-b7be-4440-abb6-a0d9380e53d2#293a028c-0c30-41bf-a35e-82a76a86ee90
First day/phase isn't practice, it'strength, conditioning, and rehabilitation. I don't think that I've seen either person say that Longacre is a "big" part, either way no one has asked them about player health and it's the off-season so coaches probably aren't going to talk about injuries if they don't have to. I dont know which photo you are referring too, I'm sent to the beginning of the slideshow, but it's most likely Garrett Sickels #56 blue and white gloves, or Morgan Fox #97 all white gloves. Photo #2? That's Sickels . I guess we'll find out on monday when ota's start.