Rams Sign Six College Free Agents, Waive Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Posted 10 minutes ago

Myles SimmonsRams Insider@MylesASimmons

In the initial period following the 2018 draft, Los Angeles signed seven undrafted free agents to bolster the team’s roster through the duration of the offseason. And heading into Phase 3 of the program, the Rams have officially added six more college free agents to their roster.

Additionally, Los Angeles has waived outside linebacker Carlos Thompson with an injury designation. Thompson played three games in 2017, starting the Week 17 contest against the 49ers. He recorded a total of three tackles during the season, including one for loss.

The athletes below will join LaQuvionte Gonzalez, Ricky Jeune, Jeremiah Kolone, Steven Mitchell, McKay Murphy, Ramon Richards, and Tegray Scales — along with the club’s 11 drafted players — as part of Los Angeles’ 2018 rookie class.

Nick Holley | RB | Kent State

Holley split his time between quarterback and running back at Kent State, though he suffered season-ending injuries in his last three seasons with the program. He began 2017 as the starting quarterback for the Golden Flashes, but tore his ACL in September. In Holley’s junior year, however, he rushed for 920 yards on 195 carries with 10 touchdowns, also making 13 receptions for 135 yards with two touchdowns in 2016.

Afolabi Laguda | S | Colorado

The free safety never missed a game in his time at Colorado, starting in 26 of 38 contests. Throughout his career, Laguda recorded 171 tackles, 11 pass deflections, four forced fumbles and two interceptions — becoming known for his aggressive style of play and impressive pass coverage.

Codey McElroy | TE | Southeastern Oklahoma State

A former minor league baseball player in the Atlanta Braves farm system, McElroy then walked on at Oklahoma State as a basketball player, before making the transition to football. The 6-foot-6, 255 pound tight end finished his only season at SEOSU with 14 receptions for 173 receiving yards.

Steven Parker | S | Oklahoma

Parker will join former teammate Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in Los Angeles this offseason. The Oklahoma product was a second-team all conference selection as a senior, compiling 63 tackles and six pass breakups. Plus he had an all-around productive career in Norman, playing in 50 games for the Sooners as a significant contributor on both defense and special teams.

Luis Perez | QB | Texas A&M-Commerce

Perez earned the Harlon Hill Trophy in 2017 as the best player in the nation for Division II, completing 70.6 percent of his passes for 5,001 yards with 46 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. His strong play helped lead Texas A&M-Commerce to its first national championship since 1972 last season.

Brian Womac | DE | Rice

Womac set a program record with 22 tackles for loss as a senior in 2017. His 10.0 sacks also led Conference USA last season. In all, Womac recorded 40.0 tackles for loss and 17.0 sacks in his four years at Rice.

http://www.therams.com/

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Laguda was a part of a stacked Colorado secondary (Chidobe Awuzie, Akhello Witherspoon, Isaiah Oliver, and Tedric Thompson), and I think he can bring a lot to the table.

I still think that Scales makes the team over the other linebackers.

Shame about Carlos Thompson. I didn't think he'd make the team, but I hope that he catches on somewhere else.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Laguna has some potential, as does Scales, but the odds of UFA's making a big impact are dwindling for the Rams. The roster is very good now. It will be harder for these UFAs to get playing time, even in camp. The linebackers should have a shot because that is one position that has vacancies, maybe back up safety too. but beyond that positioned is little hope for these guys.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Wow - didn't know we'd picked up Luis Perez - now this is a nice pickup - watched a lot of tape on him when I was doing the ROD draft, really nice developmental QB, sort out his floating passes and I think we've got a good guy to stash away. and look at those crazy stats!!

IMO he seems to have a lot of 'shifty-ness' about him in the pocket, seems to have an ability to avoid sacks which is always good.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very interesting that a team running a 3-4 defense would have more Dlinemen and Linebackers on the roster.

True, but if you flip two DE's to OLB then you have more LB's. It's all about the scheme and in the end, you can only keep 53.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Current Roster:
Offense
QB - Jared Goff, Sean Mannion, Brandon Allen, Luis Perez
RB - Todd Gurley II, Malcolm Brown, John Kelly, Justin Davis, Sam Rogers (FB), Lenard Tillery, Nick Holley
WR - Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas, Fred Brown, Steven Mitchell, Ricky Jeune, Laquvionte Gonzalez
TE - Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway, Johnny Mundt, Henry Krieger-Coble, Codey McElroy
OT - Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Darrell Williams, Cornelius Lucas, Jeremiah Kolone
OG - Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Jamil Demby, Austin Blythe, Aaron Neary, Michael Dunn
C - John Sullivan, Brian Allen, Jake Eldrenkamp

Defense
DE - Michael Brockers, John Franklin-Myers, Morgan Fox, Justin Lawler, Brian Womac
NT - Ndamukong Suh, Ethan Westbrooks, Tanzer Smart, Sebastian Joseph
DT - Aaron Donald, Dominique Easley, Omarius Bryant, McKay Murphy
OLB/Edge - Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Obogonnia Okoronkwo, Ejuan Price, Garrett Sickels, Trevon Young
ILB - Mark Barron, Cory Littleton, Micah Kiser, Ramik Wilson, Bryce Hager, Travin Howard, Tegray Scales
CB - Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Sam Shields, Troy Hill, Kevin Peterson, Taurean Nixon, Dom Hatfield
S - John Johnson III, Lamarcus Joyner, Marqui Christian, Blake Countess, Isaiah Johnson, Curtis Mikell, Ramon Richards, Afolabi Laguda, Steven Parker

Special Teams
K - Greg Zeurlein, Sam Ficken
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Current Roster:
Offense
QB - Jared Goff, Sean Mannion, Brandon Allen, Luis Perez
RB - Todd Gurley II, Malcolm Brown, John Kelly, Justin Davis, Sam Rogers (FB), Lenard Tillery, Nick Holley
WR - Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas, Fred Brown, Steven Mitchell, Ricky Jeune, Laquvionte Gonzalez
TE - Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway, Johnny Mundt, Henry Krieger-Coble, Codey McElroy
OT - Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Darrell Williams, Cornelius Lucas, Jeremiah Kolone
OG - Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Jamil Demby, Austin Blythe, Aaron Neary, Michael Dunn
C - John Sullivan, Brian Allen, Jake Eldrenkamp

Defense
DE - Michael Brockers, John Franklin-Myers, Morgan Fox, Justin Lawler, Brian Womac
NT - Ndamukong Suh, Ethan Westbrooks, Tanzer Smart, Sebastian Joseph
DT - Aaron Donald, Dominique Easley, Omarius Bryant, McKay Murphy
OLB/Edge - Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Obogonnia Okoronkwo, Ejuan Price, Garrett Sickels, Trevon Young
ILB - Mark Barron, Cory Littleton, Micah Kiser, Ramik Wilson, Bryce Hager, Travin Howard, Tegray Scales
CB - Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Sam Shields, Troy Hill, Kevin Peterson, Taurean Nixon, Dom Hatfield
S - John Johnson III, Lamarcus Joyner, Marqui Christian, Blake Countess, Isaiah Johnson, Curtis Mikell, Ramon Richards, Afolabi Laguda, Steven Parker

Special Teams
K - Greg Zeurlein, Sam Ficken
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide
Good job! Yours & mine are very close.....(y)

My Ram projected
DL:
5T/DE- Brockers/ Westbrooks/ Fox/ Franklin
NT- Suh/ Bryant/ Joseph/ Murphy
3T/DT- Donald/ Easley/ Smart

LB'ers:
SSER- Ebukam/ Young/ Lawler/ Sickels
SSLB- Hager/ Wilson/ Kiser/ Scales
WSLB- Barron/ Littleton/ Howard
WSER- Longacre/ Okoronkwo/ Womac/ Price

OL:
LT- Whitworth/ Noteboom/ Williams/ Dunn
LG- Saffold/ Kolone/ Eldrenkamp
OC- Sullivan/ Blythe/ Neary
RG- Brown/ Allen/
RT- Havenstein/ Demby/ Lucas

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The free safety never missed a game in his time at Colorado, starting in 26 of 38 contests. Throughout his career, Laguda recorded 171 tackles, 11 pass deflections, four forced fumbles and two interceptions — becoming known for his aggressive style of play and impressive pass coverage.

Parker will join former teammate Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in Los Angeles this offseason. The Oklahoma product was a second-team all conference selection as a senior, compiling 63 tackles and six pass breakups. Plus he had an all-around productive career in Norman, playing in 50 games for the Sooners as a significant contributor on both defense and special teams.

http://www.therams.com/

Adding two more safeties to the Rams roster? Interesting ;)Appears we have ten safety prospects. Starters Joyner/ JJ III, 3 of last seasons back ups 3rd yr players Isaiah Johnson/ Blake Countess/ Marqui Christain. Four UDFA's Parker{6-1 203}, Richards {5-11 185}, Mikell {5-8 170} & Laguda {6-1 205} We might want to consider our 6th round draft selection the 6-1 211lb Travin Howard too.

You think that Franchised Tagged Lamarcus Joyner (who is the third highest paid Ram @ $11.3 million this season) will get this very large clue here?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Codey McElroy | TE | Southeastern Oklahoma State
He's kinda interesting....I like his workout tape...pretty athletic....
I think this guy can stick...

Laguna has some potential

Laguda was a part of a stacked Colorado secondary (Chidobe Awuzie, Akhello Witherspoon, Isaiah Oliver, and Tedric Thompson), and I think he can bring a lot to the table.
On tape, better player than Parker...actually like him....except....

He ran a terrible 40....
Mento is correct, that Buffalo team had/has some elite talent at skill positions....I think Utah and esp. Washington Huskies also have pro level talent throughout their rosters.
Los Angeles has waived outside linebacker Carlos Thompson with an injury designation.
Shame about Carlos Thompson. I didn't think he'd make the team
Looking at that OLB depth....I just think too many rookies bring special skills at OLB that Son-of-Bum would love....IMO...that dude Young from Louisville....he just sticks out as playmaker....he must be relatively healthy and returning to form....I'd look for him to START in 2019 if fully back to his 2016 play.

I always wonder how do guys come INTO camp, injured???? Thompson will find a team...at the least, he's one of those guys that should be a core special teamer....

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Adding two more safeties to the Rams roster? Interesting ;)Appears we have ten safety prospects. Starters Joyner/ JJ III, 3 of last seasons back ups 3rd yr players Isaiah Johnson/ Blake Countess/ Marqui Christain. Four UDFA's Parker{6-1 203}, Richards {5-11 185}, Mikell {5-8 170} & Laguda {6-1 205} We might want to consider our 6th round draft selection the 6-1 211lb Travin Howard too.

You think that Franchised Tagged Lamarcus Joyner (who is the third highest paid Ram @ $11.3 million this season) will get this very large clue here?
You can never be too safe.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
40: 4.58
You can never be too safe.
One would guess not..I just learned the Rams just signed another Safety making the total now @ #11 on the roster.

Chucky Williams Free Safety 6-11/2 @ 211lbs Louisville

http://pigskinprospects.com/players/chucky-williams/
Overview:
Williams finished his career at Louisville, where he played in 48 career games, had 252 tackles, 13.0 for loss, 9 interceptions, 15 pass breakups, 7 forced fumbles, and 5 fumbles recovered. He has good size, he has good speed, was a ball hawk, and is a tackling machine. He is a solid cover defensive back, and has good instincts. He is a relentless defender, and a ferocious defender. He is also a defensive play maker, and a difference maker on defense. He is also a hard hitter, he is very physical, and does not back down. He is also versatile, as he can play both safety, and in the slot. On the other hand, while he has good speed, he does not have elite speed, but that does not hurt his game. With that said, I view Williams as a potential day 3 pick when it is all said and done.
Strengths:
Has good size
Has good speed
A solid cover DB
A tackling machine
A ball hawk
Has a non stop motor
Is in on every play
Does not give up on many plays
A tough nosed player
Has good instincts
A relentless defender
A ferocious defender
A defensive play maker
A difference maker on defense
A hard hitter
Very physical
Does not back down
Very experienced
Is versatile as he can play FS and in the slot
Does a great job of breaking up passes
Does a good job of bringing the ball carrier down behind the line of scrimmage for a loss
40: 4.58 sec
Weaknesses:
While he has good speed he does not have elite speed but that does not hurt his game

Last edited:

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Myles Simmons‏Verified account@MylesASimmons
A little bit of news from McVay regarding #LARams LB. Doesn't say too much about the ILB position, other than the four veteran players would have the leg up. But at OLB, McVay mentions Longacre & Ebukam then says Morgan Fox will be another player in the mix at that position.

Another possibility for the OLB spot in Fox. What a battle that is going to be.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
40: 4.58 One would guess not..I just learned the Rams just signed another Safety making the total now @ #11 on the roster.

Chucky Williams Free Safety 6-11/2 @ 211lbs Louisville

http://pigskinprospects.com/players/chucky-williams/
Overview:
Williams finished his career at Louisville, where he played in 48 career games, had 252 tackles, 13.0 for loss, 9 interceptions, 15 pass breakups, 7 forced fumbles, and 5 fumbles recovered. He has good size, he has good speed, was a ball hawk, and is a tackling machine. He is a solid cover defensive back, and has good instincts. He is a relentless defender, and a ferocious defender. He is also a defensive play maker, and a difference maker on defense. He is also a hard hitter, he is very physical, and does not back down. He is also versatile, as he can play both safety, and in the slot. On the other hand, while he has good speed, he does not have elite speed, but that does not hurt his game. With that said, I view Williams as a potential day 3 pick when it is all said and done.
Strengths:
Has good size
Has good speed
A solid cover DB
A tackling machine
A ball hawk
Has a non stop motor
Is in on every play
Does not give up on many plays
A tough nosed player
Has good instincts
A relentless defender
A ferocious defender
A defensive play maker
A difference maker on defense
A hard hitter
Very physical
Does not back down
Very experienced
Is versatile as he can play FS and in the slot
Does a great job of breaking up passes
Does a good job of bringing the ball carrier down behind the line of scrimmage for a loss
40: 4.58 sec
Weaknesses:
While he has good speed he does not have elite speed but that does not hurt his game
Okay @BonifayRam, how in the world did I know about Chucky two weeks ago, and you've just now learned about him? You always know these things faster than I do! You're slipping in your old age.:mrburns:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Okay @BonifayRam, how in the world did I know about Chucky two weeks ago, and you've just now learned about him? You always know these things faster than I do! You're slipping in your old age.:mrburns:
Might be:coffee:
I do recall that we all on here discussed this safety Chucky Williams some & it was reported in a tweet after the draft concluded that SW had been signed however that was not factual. I would imagine CW was notified that he would be brought in for a" look see". I had CW on my list with other possible initial 2018 90 player Ram roster but I could not see anything until this newest info came out.

Does seem that ROD is far ahead of the curve in getting the newest & factual Ram information available to its members(y)

If I were Lamarcus Joyner & I wanted to remain a Ram after this season I would be looking to sign a new long term contract that would help him in his future here & help the Ram team getting a few of the top players signed & under long term contract too. His $11.3 million cap hit is way above what this under 5-8 DB brings to the Ram defense now after the signing of two pro bowl corners & the best Nickel Back in the NFLo_O

I believe we are seeing the Rams future safety cadre plan begin to unfold. Snead said year ago that he places much higher value in corners than safeties. Rams will soon be looking for available big $$$ to get Peters under a future long term contract & paying big $$ for LJ would be a sure offer up some serious road blocks......

Last edited: