Rams Sign Six College Free Agents, Waive Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Plus, when he arrived at the Rams facility on Monday, the wideout was happy to see a familiar face in former USC standout, Robert Woods. In coming onto a team with such a talented wide receiving corps, Mitchell hopes learning from veteran players like Woods, will help him to carve out his own path.

Wow - what a difference a year makes

Tano

Legend
I have to say something controversial.....

I think it's time to move on from Higbee....never saw clear improvement....in pass catching....maybe as a run blocker...

I like McElroy's skill set...seems tougher....and I bet he can catch the ball better in traffic.

I agree with you that it might be time to move on from Higbee as the "main" TE. He dropped way too many passes last year. However, do we have a TE on the team that can both run block and run good routes?

McElroy? Not too sure about him. And he definitely needs a full year playing before he may/will become a good TE.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, let me see him play before I can make that analyses and let us not forget the reason Higbee dropped was because of a bar fight so I'm quite sure The Kentuckian is pretty tough!
Different kinda toughness....
Catching a pass...in traffic...with the expectation of getting hit is different....it's like a sacrifice....
do we have a TE on the team that can both run block and run good routes?
That's what we're here to find out....I putting Hemingway in line for the first look...and this new guy second. Everett looks like an offensive weapon to me...not much of a blocker.
I don't know how many chances you give a TE like Higbee to prove he's not what he's shown?
McElroy? Not too sure about him. And he definitely needs a full year playing before he may/will become a good TE.
No one is....but he's huge...he's hungry...he's older...and he's a top notch athlete at his size, 6'6, 260 lbs....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If I were Lamarcus Joyner & I wanted to remain a Ram after this season I would be looking to sign a new long term contract that would help him in his future here & help the Ram team getting a few of the top players signed & under long term contract too. His $11.3 million cap hit is way above what this under 5-8 DB brings to the Ram defense now after the signing of two pro bowl corners & the best Nickel Back in the NFLo_O
Almost no way he's on the roster in 2019
I was thinking that Fox would be moved this season from the 5 tech to the 3 tech post
I thought he was gonna play OLB last year...I could have sworn he was smaller than Longacre...and could make the switch easier.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Almost no way he's on the roster in 2019
I thought he was gonna play OLB last year...I could have sworn he was smaller than Longacre...and could make the switch easier.
Only way LJ is on the Ram 2019 roster is he signs a Ram friendly contract...NOT going to happen...Wade is going to find a new starting safety from his new rookie cadre or move Aqib Talb from corner to safety in order to elongate prolong his long NFL career. Rams could use a star all pro ball hawk playing deep. Like Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson & Charles Woodson type move....Talib is already our biggest DB & his size would come in handy.

Fox was smaller than Longacre in college. Fox carried a Michelin around his waist last season. Both are the same height though. Matt is a UFA in 2019 & Morgan is only a RFA so Morgan stands to be here @ a low $$$ for 3 more seasons whereas Matt only has one season here under contract.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Only way LJ is on the Ram 2019 roster is he signs a Ram friendly contract...NOT going to happen
yeah....I figured he was REALLY lying when he claimed he'd play for free.
Matt is a UFA in 2019 & Morgan is only a RFA so Morgan stands to be here @ a low $$$ for 3 more seasons whereas Matt only has one season here under contract.
you think Longacre's back is ok?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
yeah....I figured he was REALLY lying when he claimed he'd play for free.
you think Longacre's back is ok?
From what I see here down in the deep south through the swarm of yellow flys, cotton fields & deep red Clay road dust ......I have no ideal.

But what I do know is Matt has fought through a bunch of stuff to get to the NFL & play...discarded & highly overlooked because he does not have a NFL body but its very hard to see deep inside what a man desires to do & achieve in life & I would bet this young man Matt will overcome the pain & have a better 2018 season than he had in 2017!;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
discarded & highly overlooked because he does not have a NFL body but its very hard to see deep inside what a man desires to do & achieve in life & I would bet this young man Matt will overcome the pain & have a better 2018 season than he had in 2017!;)
Seeing Longacre up close...he's a big man....not overly muscled...but big...big calves...big forearms...big dude.:mrburnsevil:

I'd sit in a foxhole with him anytime....:sneaky:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...s-roster-preview-taurean-nixon-denver-broncos

CB Taurean Nixon needs to grab the bull by the horns
The perennial practice squad DB is looking for a chance to break through on the Rams’ defense.
By kristianramirez

484921992.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images

Taken by the Denver Broncos with the 251st overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, Los Angeles Rams CB Taurean Nixon didn’t initially win a spot on Denver’s active roster. He landed on the Broncos’ practice squad but was promoted to the active roster prior the AFC Championship game against the New England Patriots in January of 2016 but didn’t see any snaps for Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips’ No-Fly Zone with CB Aqib Talib . While still a part of the roster for the Super Bowl 50 win over the Carolina Panthers, Nixon was one of the inactives for the game.

Bouncing around the roster and practice squad for 2016 before being waived in the summer of 2017, he played in two games and was credited with a single tackle.

The Jacksonville Jaguars picked him up off waivers in June 2017 only to be placed on injured reserve the following month. Over the next six months, he’d be waived by the Jaguars, picked up by the Kansas City Chiefs and the Indianapolis Colts for their respective practice squads before finally making his most recent practice squad appearance for the Rams in late December.

Suffice to say, Taurean Nixon knows how hard it can be to eke out an NFL career at the margins.

Roster Battle
It’s a tough year to be an aspiring cornerback in the LA Rams’ locker room. Offseason pickups Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters are locked into the starting jobs. Slot CB Nickell Robey-Coleman is a lock for his role having re-signed on a three-year deal in March. CB Sam Shields, who we picked up from the Green Bay Packers, could be a strong contender for the other #2 spot depending on his medical readiness.

That effectively means that the other four CB candidates and Nixon are competing for a practice squad / occasional activation spot. That’s a position that Mr. Nixon should be very comfortable in.

Expectations
Assuming he makes the practice squad in his final year of eligibility and gets activated for throwaway game in December, expect him to make his second career tackle. It’s been two seasons since his last one. It’s time to end the drought.

Chances of making the final roster (.01/10)
I’m being generous here. This number should be zero, but there’s always a chance.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Chucky Williams
Strengths:

Has good size
Has good speed
A solid cover DB
A tackling machine
A ball hawk
Has a non stop motor
Is in on every play
Does not give up on many plays
A tough nosed player
Has good instincts
A relentless defender
A ferocious defender
A defensive play maker
A difference maker on defense
A hard hitter
Very physical
Does not back down
Very experienced
Is versatile as he can play FS and in the slot
Does a great job of breaking up passes
Does a good job of bringing the ball carrier down behind the line of scrimmage for a loss
40: 4.58 sec
Weaknesses:
While he has good speed he does not have elite speed but that does not hurt his game
That sounds like it was written by his agent.
If all that is true he should have been a first-rounder.