Rams sign Bobby Wagner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
So now I'm curious about the meeting. Just throwing this out there but did they show BWagz any film and say something in the realms of "we want you for this point of attack, which is what our weakness is", and red dot the run gashing up the middle? Bobby would look at that and see where we came out short minus Jones. In other words Reeder *cough*. Or maybe they didn't need film to relay that. There was probably some kind of allusion to that re: where they would like to use him. He's not being asked to do everything even though he's an every down LB. Mainly patrol the middle and take away that area. Read the play and move to the spot like in his highlights. It's obvious where and why, just wondering about the language. That may come up in a later story, or maybe already in the Athletic?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'M SO STOKED, WE GOT BOBBY WAGNER!!!

Also, if we're doing sports teams, it's Los Angeles Rams, St. Louis Blues, St. Louis Cardinals, and Missouri Tigers, in that exact order.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sorry Dieter but as a NYer and huge Yankee-fan in the 70's ... my teen years! ... I grew up but never really matured ... I have to comment.

Randolph came from the Pirates where they were buried in 2B (Dave Cash and Rennie Stennett). The Yankees got Randolph (and Dock Ellis) for George "Doc" Medich. I believe that was the only trade in the history of baseball that involved two doctors.

Rivers came from the Angels, along with Ed Figueroa in exchange for Bobby Bonds.

You are right about Thurman and Guidry being home-grown, as was Roy White. However, most of the team came via free agency and trades ... Catfish, Piniella, Chambliss, Nettles, Lyle and Gossage to name some of the top-players.
C Munsen (homegrown, ROY)
1B Chambliss (ROY w/ Cleveland)
2B Randolph (Pirates)
3B Nettles (Cleveland)
SS Dent (Chicago)
LF White (Homegrown)
CF Rivers (California)
RF Reggie (Oakland)
DH/RF/LF Piniella (ROY w/KC)
DH Cliff Johnson (Toronto)

Guidry (Homegrown)
Figueroa (California)
Hunter (Oakland)
Beattie (Homegrown)
May (Baltimore)
Gullett (Cincinnati)

Lyle (Boston)
Gossage (Chicago)
Tidrow (Cleveland)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'M SO STOKED, WE GOT BOBBY WAGNER!!!

Also, if we're doing sports teams, it's Los Angeles Rams, St. Louis Blues, St. Louis Cardinals, and Missouri Tigers, in that exact order.
Well, really Los Angeles. Rams, St Louis Blues, St Louis Cardinals, and ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK almost in that exact order…. ~ Memento

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
So do we have any numbers on the contract structure yet?

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
So do we have any numbers on the contract structure yet?

This is the best I could find:

Unofficially, no fewer than four sources have told us that the deal actually pays out $6.5 million in the first year.

If so, that’s obviously far less than the $10 million annual average that the total deal suggests.

One source said that the deal pays out $17 million over two years, with “small guarantees” in the second season.

The Ravens, we’re told, offered Wagner $18 million over two years. We’re not aware of the specific structure of the offer.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But I feel Rapp is a much better tackler on running plays.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Which one would be a better fit for the Rams next year if Barron was same age as Rapp?

That I could not tell you.
I would agree with you on Rapp but I need to remind myself that Morris played Rapp primarily up in the ILB usual roaming territory & posts.

If I am right then Taylor Rapp should not get a free pass in here if fact he should share some of the heat :fire1::crap:for the many missed tackles that had the Ram in the upper tier too.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
....................for the many missed tackles that had the Ram in the upper tier too.
What I found interesting is the Rams had the same number of missed tackles as Tampa (148) and most experts are saying "that's the 2022 NFC Championship Game matchup". What did Tampa do to improve on that? Make the DC the head coach?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
What I found interesting is the Rams had the same number of missed tackles as Tampa (148) and most experts are saying "that's the 2022 NFC Championship Game matchup". What did Tampa do to improve on that? Make the DC the head coach?
I think it’s as much to do with what the rest of the NFC did as anything else.
Green Bay trading Davonte has people questioning them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This is the best I could find:

Unofficially, no fewer than four sources have told us that the deal actually pays out $6.5 million in the first year.

If so, that’s obviously far less than the $10 million annual average that the total deal suggests.

One source said that the deal pays out $17 million over two years, with “small guarantees” in the second season.

The Ravens, we’re told, offered Wagner $18 million over two years. We’re not aware of the specific structure of the offer.

If those are the numbers, it kinda blows up any narrative about the Rams having any kind of shift in philosophy.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
... the deal actually pays out $6.5 million in the first year.

I'm not even certain what that means ... 'Pays Out"?!? Not impressed by Mike Florio.

There are two numbers that matter to Wagner. The $ he receives in 2022; and the total guaranteed-$.

To a Rams' fan, the number that most matters is Neither of the above. It's the 2022 Cap-Hit to the Rams.

$6.5M seems Low to me for $ Wagner will receive in 2022.

$6.5M seems High to me for the Cap-Hit to the Rams.

Robinson signed a 3-year / $46.5M deal. He will get $15.5M in 2022
The cap-hit to the Rams is just $4.3M

Noteboom signed a 3-year / $40M deal. He will get $11.5M in 2022
The cap-hit to the Rams is just $3.5M

Just got to wait-and-see on Wagner's deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I would agree with you on Rapp but I need to remind myself that Morris played Rapp primarily up in the ILB usual roaming territory & posts.

If I am right then Taylor Rapp should not get a free pass in here if fact he should share some of the heat :fire1::crap:for the many missed tackles that had the Ram in the upper tier too.
I saw Rapp primarily deeper in the secondary and he sucks at that.

I would have liked to see him more closer to the line of scrimmage.

But you are right - with Wagner - where does that leave Rapp - probably on the bench at best as a back-up

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm not even certain what that means ... 'Pays Out"?!? Not impressed by Mike Florio.

There are two numbers that matter to Wagner. The $ he receives in 2022; and the total guaranteed-$.

To a Rams' fan, the number that most matters is Neither of the above. It's the 2022 Cap-Hit to the Rams.

$6.5M seems Low to me for $ Wagner will receive in 2022.

$6.5M seems High to me for the Cap-Hit to the Rams.

Robinson signed a 3-year / $46.5M deal. He will get $15.5M in 2022
The cap-hit to the Rams is just $4.3M

Noteboom signed a 3-year / $40M deal. He will get $11.5M in 2022
The cap-hit to the Rams is just $3.5M

Just got to wait-and-see on Wagner's deal.
I think that the only number that really matters is the $ guaranteed at signing.
Players get the signing bonus money up front, or close to it... the cap hit is just spread out on the life of the contract.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I saw Rapp primarily deeper in the secondary and he sucks at that.

I would have liked to see him more closer to the line of scrimmage.

But you are right - with Wagner - where does that leave Rapp - probably on the bench at best as a back-up

The only line you'll see Rapp in is the trade deadline. Unfortunately he's not even the best backup at any position he's good at. He can start elsewhere as a safety close to the Los, but that's it and we're covered.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think that the only number that really matters is the $ guaranteed at signing.
Players get the signing bonus money up front, or close to it... the cap hit is just spread out on the life of the contract.
I only care about the cap-hit to the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the decision were yours would you utilize backup strong safety Taylor Rapp in a trade to move up in the 3rd rd with our top draft pick later this month?

DC Morris has ILB'ers Wagner/ Jones/ Howard/ Rozeboom & Hines currently under contract in addition he had Justin Hollins who he used @ both ILB & OLB'er Last season. Then there are those two-hybrid ILB'ers/SS in Jake Gervase & Antonio Brooks JR.

Would you consider signing back veteran former ex Ram/Eagle free safety 31 yr old UFA Rodney Mcleod for what it would cost to pay Rapp?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If the decision were yours would you utilize backup strong safety Taylor Rapp in a trade to move up in the 3rd rd with our top draft pick later this month?

DC Morris has ILB'ers Wagner/ Jones/ Howard/ Rozeboom & Hines currently under contract in addition he had Justin Hollins who he used @ both ILB & OLB'er Last season. Then there are those two-hybrid ILB'ers/SS in Jake Gervase & Antonio Brooks JR.

Would you consider signing back veteran former ex Ram/Eagle free safety 31 yr old UFA Rodney Mcleod for what it would cost to pay Rapp?

Yes. I've already advocated for trading Rapp & our late 3'rd round pick to move up into a better position to draft an OG or CB. I wonder if Staley & the Chargers might be interested ? Moving Rapp also opens up near $2.5M in available CAP.

As far as a FS goes, I'd prefer to see a draft pick compete with some of our other developmental players and how they stack up. We can always look at veteran players released following the final camp cuts after the pre-season ends.

As I question how to spend some of our remaining CAP dollars, outside of Obj, DE Morgan Fox may offer the biggest bang for the buck.
jmo.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Cornerbacks. We need cornerbacks. Forget the Edge and Von Miller. He was brought in to help with the pass rush and be that Superbowl winner in the locker room. Now we've got a locker room full of Superbowl winners. Flo, DLew, Hollins and Garrett might surprise some folks at Edge.