Rams select Mike Thomas WR with #206 Overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Spam

UDFA
I thought this was Michael Thomas from Ohio State! Mike Thomas sounds like a steal though anyway. Loved our draft

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I'm pretty happy with this guy too. Great job Fisher (except the first round trade) I was watching tape on this guy, Higby and Pharoah (spelling) last night and this morning, wanted all 3 and we took them. I should go play the lottery.

We should have some weapons now, pretty excited. Now Goff, prove me wrong buddy

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If their plan is to draft OLs in the late rounds and grab guys off the street/practice squads...might as well just cut Sam now so he can have a chance at a decent career. And we should draft Johnny Manziel. Why Manziel? Not because I think he's worth the #2 pick...but maybe with his running ability he performs a miracle.

With that hatchet job, you should be a journalist. ;)

Full quote:

Has it now. Because watching Stacy run into a brick wall against Seattle with the interior made up practice squad players, guys we picked up off the street and later round players really seemed to work out well.

Yes, they hit on Barksdale. Who was a 3rd round pick. We got lucky that Oakland went to a ZBS that he didn't fit and gave up on him too soon. The other good players on the OL? Pick #33 Rodger Saffold, Pick #1 Jake Long and...?

If their plan is to draft OLs in the late rounds and grab guys off the street/practice squads...might as well just cut Sam now so he can have a chance at a decent career. And we should draft Johnny Manziel. Why Manziel? Not because I think he's worth the #2 pick...but maybe with his running ability he performs a miracle.

Because I've had enough of watching garbage OLs. This was the first year in a long time where the Rams had a decent to good OL and that was because of players like Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, Joe Barksdale, Scott Wells and coach Paul Boudreau. If you want guys like that, you have to invest a pretty penny or a nice draft pick.

Pretty clear that was sarcastic. But just to make clear my stance on Manziel, this post is from 3 days later:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/aughn-manziel-would-add-much-needed-excitement-to-rams.22337/
I'm just pointing out that those things don't always translate well. Tebow played big boy football in the same conference. Didn't work out in the NFL.

The most athletic QB ever, Mike Vick, was only a very good QB for one year. The rest of his career, he was held back by his mediocre passing skills...mainly because he didn't prepare like the elite QBs did and obsess over the small details in his game.

The NFL isn't college. The DLs and LBs are freakishly fast. If you want to become a successful QB in the NFL, you can't just rely on your scrambling ability. You can't get by with mediocre fundamentals. You have to obsess over the smallest details. You have to be meticulous in preparation. Every player in the NFL has natural ability.

I have concerns with Manziel. His mechanics and footwork are sloppy. He relies too often on running around to get his receivers open rather than dropping back, reading the defense and delivering the ball on time. His offense isn't a pro style offense and doesn't force him to make a lot of window throws. He makes bad decisions in the red-zone. His pocket presence and movement are unimpressive...he relies too much on his ability to run rather than technique, timing and a sense of spacing. I could go on. The kid has major flaws. And in the NFL, flaws like those get exposed. You have to improve. You have to take your job very seriously.

Manziel's playing style reminds me of Terrelle Pryor's in college. Manziel isn't as reliant on it as Pryor was and he's a better passer than Pryor(by a lot) but he has a tendency to not read the defense and instead opt to try and run around to allow things to open up. That doesn't work in the NFL.

So yes, he will be exciting but he might be exciting in all the wrong ways. The kid needs coaching and he needs a lot of polish.

What am I trying to convince you of? Nothing. I can't take a stance on Manziel other than the stance that I wouldn't draft him. Because I'm not sure he'll fail. But I also don't feel confident he'll succeed. I don't know the kid's personality, character and work ethic. What do I know is that he's a much more deeply flawed player on tape than some want to believe. And while he put up great stats and was exciting in college, there's a lot of troubling things you notice while watching him. College stats don't translate to the NFL. Skill-sets do. And Manziel's skill-set is a tough one to translate. It's one that is truly an enigma.

That post was from January. Here's a post from right before the draft (April 27th) on Manziel:
Here's the issue, you have to be able to apply that intelligence on the field. And I question if Manziel can.

He's coming from an offense that consisted of quarter and half field reads with a simplistic progression system and route tree. Manziel also was overly reliant on his legs to allow him to decipher the defense and far too often missed WRs running open...even WRs that were clearly his primary read on the play. To make matters worse, he is a guy that showed the propensity to force things and make bad decisions rather than taking what the defense gave him. His anticipation is highly questionable as is his ability to work through his progressions with patience in the pocket and his ability to control the offense from the LOS. On top of that, I question his ability to make full field reads in the pocket.

Manziel also played behind arguably the best OL in college football the past two years which gave him exceptional blocking and a huge pocket to work with. I was unimpressed with his instincts, eye discipline, and movement in the pocket. He's a guy that prefers to run around and bail out of the pocket rather than maneuvering the pocket, keeping his eyes down the field, and finding throwing lanes.

Additionally, Manziel has poor lower body mechanics and lacks symmetry in his upper body when going through his throwing motion.

I'm a very meticulous person. And there's just so many flaws that I see in his game that I can't get behind him.

I won't write him off either. There's no arguing that Manziel is an unique player. There's no arguing his improvisational skills, deep accuracy, ability to throw on the run, and his competitiveness. But that's not enough for me. Too many warning signs there for me. Too risky.

Everybody knows that I had a gigantic boner for Bridgewater that year. I didn't want the Rams drafting Manziel. Made that very clear.

There are plenty of players that I was wrong about. Manziel isn't one of them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously starting to think you work in the Rams FO or have connection. Crazy how accurate you were

Nah. When you make a million mocks, you're bound to get something right. :)

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

image.gif

RamzFanz

Damnit
I genuinely hope the selection of Goff over Wentz hasn't made you insane.

What I find most amusing is I championed neither, just a rarely mentioned slight preference for Wentz, and the clowns just rolled in the clown car because I made an honest observation. But hey, that's what the clown car is for.

I like Goff. He's pretty damned good. I also love this draft and how it fits him.

Roll on clown car, roll on.

transport-clown_car-family_car-car_shopping-car_shoppers-car_sales_rep-shl111007_low.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
With that hatchet job, you should be a journalist. ;)

Full quote:

Pretty clear that was sarcastic. But just to make clear my stance on Manziel, this post is from 3 days later:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/aughn-manziel-would-add-much-needed-excitement-to-rams.22337/

That post was from January. Here's a post from right before the draft (April 27th) on Manziel:

Everybody knows that I had a gigantic boner for Bridgewater that year. I didn't want the Rams drafting Manziel. Made that very clear.

There are plenty of players that I was wrong about. Manziel isn't one of them.

Somebody's butthurt. o_O

Tell us the story again about how people who don't support the Rams' current QB (not people like me, I do) need to leave the forum so I can show you your remarks about past Rams' QBs. Go ahead, make your declaration again and then you can follow it. :sneaky:

Are you busy editing?

Is someone worried their grandiose and demeaning persona will be exposed?

Goff02.JPG

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somebody's butthurt. o_O

Tell us the story again about how people who don't support the current Rams' QB (not people like me, I do) need to leave the forum so I can show you your remarks about past Rams' QBs. Go ahead, make your declaration again and then you can follow it. :sneaky:

Haha, yep. It's me. Guess that's my cross to bare. (y)

Pharoh + Mike Thomas + Higbee = Jrry32 on Cloud Nine

Can't bring me down, my friend. :D

I do thank you for making me read my Manziel quotes over again. Makes me feel that much more confident that Goff is our guy!

ALL ABOARD THE PLAYOFFS TRAIN!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Haha, yep. It's me. Guess that's my cross to bare. (y)

Pharoh + Mike Thomas + Higbee = Jrry32 on Cloud Nine

Can't bring me down, my friend. :D

I do thank you for making me read my Manziel quotes over again. Makes me feel that much more confident that Goff is our guy!

ALL ABOARD THE PLAYOFFS TRAIN!

(pssst, it is you)

Maybe we can move forward with no more lectures and disingenuous attributions of motives? We can leave the pitchforks and torches at home? A free exchange of ideas and observations? Maybe?

Or we could have shout down matches. It bores everyone else, contributes nothing, but I'm not known to accepting being bullied by a kid.

Go Goff! Go Rams!

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sooooo, if I didn't like a 6th round pick and I say why? I get the get off my lawn if you don't like how my flowers look today?

Or are we good with observations? Happy people today?

View attachment 13464
Chewing gum at your first presser....not a good look. I won't mention the cheap clothes, working class guy and all. I get it. Wear overalls for all I care. Chewing gum, not good, he should have been chewing pizza.:sneaky:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chewing gum at your first presser....not a good look. I won't mention the cheap clothes, working class guy and all. I get it. Wear overalls for all I care. Chewing gum, not good, he should have been chewing pizza.:sneaky:

That would have scared me.

RamzFanz

Damnit

This is a guy who is determined:

Sad-Kurt-Warner.gif

Your cheap clothes remark is despicable.

This guy chews gum and is also a failure:

peteoverthemmountains.gif

He looked scared. I know the the scared look. It doesn't make you a bad person. I'm sure I've had it on my face and I was never lacking confidence in what I was doing. I just prefer the gunny you have to wake to jump out of the plane than the PFC you have to kick out. Both may be the same men inside, but it makes you go hmmmm, because you know who the gunny is.

If the Gunny chews gum, and has a cheap uniform, you best not question what he can do, or he might shove that gum up your ass.

If he looks scared, you better be scared too.

You see what I'm saying? You can be scared, but if your the leader, don't look scared. It's not a good look.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That would have scared me.
It's dumb and it's petty, but come on man. I'm on record for liking both, but wanting Wentz. It doesn't matter to me all these undue criticisms. Perception is in the eye of the beholder.

What these guys do on the field, should be all that matters.

Goff is our guy, if the Rams are our team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This is a guy who is determined:

Sad-Kurt-Warner.gif

Your cheap clothes remark is despicable.

This guy chews gum and is also a failure:

peteoverthemmountains.gif
Read my next post. All of this is stupid.