Rams Select Kamren Kinchens 3rd Round #99

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This Kam is a turnover machine and an excellent timing blitzer. He's starting.

20hrswk

UDFA
This Kam is a turnover machine and an excellent timing blitzer. He's starting.
I am a Ram fan to the core, but let's be realistic.

Kam Kitchens was seen as the #1 safety coming out in 2024 - 10 months ago.
That's because he had a real good year in 2022.
Then came the 2023season, the Senior Bowl, the combine/pro days.

In 2023, he allowed 28 of the 34 passes into his coverage to be completed (82%). That ranked 104 out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
He allowed 472 yards passing. That was 97th out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
He allowed 4 TDs. That was 93rd out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
That is a passer rating allowed of 118.4, 90th out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
What he had and what kept his passer rating from being much worse were 5 interceptions.
In the games I looked at, he was very good at playing deep and reacting aggressively to poorly thrown passes.

At the Senior Bowl he was beaten regularly by WRs - this is my judgment only - from watching.
Granted he was asked to cover some pretty good WRs, but it looked like a mismatch most of the time.
When he ran at the combine, we began to see why - 4.65 on the 40 yard dash.
Later, at his pro day, he ran 4.62. This was 27th out of 29 safties, Kenny Logan Jr (who the Rams also signed) being the slowest.

I don't know anything about Kam Kinchens and as a Ram fan and human being, I wish him all the best, but I think some of the comments on this thread are made without looking at facts.

Either Kitchens is slow afoot and it will cause him to have difficulty when he is asked cover top NFL TEs/WRs, or (hopefully) Rams had info that he played hurt last year and will be healed and ready to go come the start of the season.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's a bit outlandish. He's a third-round rookie, and he still has to beat out a fair few younger safeties (Curl, Lake, Yeast, Taylor, Logan, McCullough, Ingle).

I think he could be a solid starter, but an All-Pro in his first year? I doubt it.
How hard is it to beat out Yeast and those other names? None of these guys seem to be NFL starting material.

Lake is the big nickel/dimebacker so I don't think he's gonna compete with him.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't have a warm and fuzzy about this pick.

I hope this guy proves that I know nothing.

InfiniteRam

Rookie

In 2023, he allowed 28 of the 34 passes into his coverage to be completed (82%). That ranked 104 out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
He allowed 472 yards passing. That was 97th out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
That is a passer rating allowed of 118.4, 90th out of 107 regular D1 safeties - PFF.
What he had and what kept his passer rating from being much worse were 5 interceptions.
In the games I looked at, he was very good at playing deep and reacting aggressively to poorly thrown passes.

At the Senior Bowl he was beaten regularly by WRs - this is my judgment only - from watching.
Granted he was asked to cover some pretty good WRs, but it looked like a mismatch most of the time.
Later, at his pro day, he ran 4.62. This was 27th out of 29 safties, Kenny Logan Jr (who the Rams also signed) being the slowest.

I don't know anything about Kam Kinchens and as a Ram fan and human being, I wish him all the best, but I think some of the comments on this thread are made without looking at facts.

Either Kitchens is slow afoot and it will cause him to have difficulty when he is asked cover top NFL TEs/WRs, or (hopefully) Rams had info that he played hurt last year and will be healed and ready to go come the start of the season.

There is are alot of reasons a safety could have poor coverage grades. He graded elite in 2022. Most analysts are saying this is a steal. They do this for a living, it is FACTS. Why would they lie?

Puka ran a 4.57 40. Does he look like a 4.57 player to you?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Oh yeah, he's going to play centerfield and blitz and go after INTs. This D might be run a little different than what we are used to seeing.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

Kinchens is slow afoot but from everything I've read, he has great instincts. That can often make up for being slow.

Fuller was slower than Kitchens and did a decent job. And he lacks Kinchens' ball skills.

As to your point about Kinchens' coverage skills, it's a good thing they won't be asking him to play CB and cover WRs often. They'll likely have him in a deep safety role which he excels at.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As to your point about Kinchens' coverage skills, it's a good thing they won't be asking him to play CB and cover WRs often. They'll likely have him in a deep safety role which he excels at.

I never understood that criticism. Corners have trouble covering wrs one on one in drills and he's worried about a safety not keeping up?

That's why he's a safety.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I believe the key is to find out what changed from 2022 to 2023.

As you stated, was he injured? He got knocked out early this past season. Was there a coaching change? Was he asked to do something differently? Did the loss of Bears 2nd rounder Tyrique Stevenson have a significant effect? Or maybe did he get the big head and read his press clipping and try to play hero ball all season? I wonder what happened.

Rams brass must know though it concerned me when the kid mention his very limited contact with the team.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Snead, has a very high success rate with the safety position.

I’m going to give the kid a couple years to show what he can do.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Sounds like a good value pick. More competition in the DB room. Could beat someone out or be a good teams player???
Not to mention that the Rams Scouts have been really good at finding underrated defensive backs, particularly Safeties, in the middle to late rounds.