Rams OTA's & minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tutu on punt returns again is not good, for him. He's not beating Powell. If he doesn't make the wr rotation the end could be nigh.

The blurb doesn't specify but they made it sound like Powell got offensive work and tutu didn't. I find that hard to believe.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew

Tutu on punt returns again is not good, for him. He's not beating Powell. If he doesn't make the wr rotation the end could be nigh.

The blurb doesn't specify but they made it sound like Powell got offensive work and tutu didn't. I find that hard to believe.

Kupp was backup PR last year. I don't want to see him there.
Hopefully Tutu improves and makes a spot on gameday roster as a WR, and is Powell's backup as PR.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This report talks a lot about Tutu Atwell and his positive progress but I can’t help being concerned that

‘He is still small and he is still incredibly fast. He doesn’t look like he has put on the weight that the Rams wanted to see him add going back to his rookie offseason’

This photo was taken on day one and he looks stick thin

Photo from

View attachment 54380

Thanks for the photos. Anchrum is running starting guard reps.Logan Bruss looks like the real deal.

I remember the rookie Hazing use to be a thing. Now Rams players in brace the rookies.He will build such confidence because of it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Robinson,Sko,&Kupp got some good work in. I liked Bobby Tree’s,but Robinson is going to be one of the best.He is totally going to take catches away from Kupp.

Atwell ? It’s best to let that playout.
Funk will take KR,Calais will fight for a roster spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This report talks a lot about Tutu Atwell and his positive progress but I can’t help being concerned that

‘He is still small and he is still incredibly fast. He doesn’t look like he has put on the weight that the Rams wanted to see him add going back to his rookie offseason’

This photo was taken on day one and he looks stick thin

Photo from

View attachment 54380
David Long should trade numbers with Tutu Atwell

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
May 26 Rams OTAs News And Notes: Youth Shines Bright

[www.lafbnetwork.com]

Ryan Anderson

As important as it is to note who was in attendance, who was not in attendance could be even more notable. Among the Los Angeles Rams players not on the practice field were Leonard Floyd, Aaron Donald, A’Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines, Jalen Ramsey, and Troy Hill. Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson were the most notable players from the offense that didn’t participate. Henderson missed because of a soft tissue injury.

That left Jake Funk and rookie Kyren Williams with the bulk of the running back duties. Jake Funk looked good when running and cutting coming off of his season-ending hamstring injury. The running back room is in an interesting place with a healthy Funk and the newly drafted Williams. It will be something to watch as their roles develop

A big question mark last season was at punt returner. There weren’t a lot of reps at today’s Rams OTAs for special teams drills, but the returning rotation included Tutu Atwell, Kyren Williams, Raymond Calais, and, of course, Brandon Powell

Powell should be considered to be the front runner for the job based on last season’s performance, but there are concerns when trying to fit him on a 53-man roster. Powell was added to the team after several injuries on offense. His place on the team could be directly related to the health and development of Tutu Atwell.

Atwell was worked a lot in today’s installment of LA Rams OTAs. He is still small and he is still incredibly fast. He doesn’t look like he has put on the weight that the Rams wanted to see him add going back to his rookie offseason. But speed is speed and Coach Sean McVay recognizes that Atwell has a high upside. McVay told Conner Zimmer of SI.com, “I still believe Tutu can be that guy…He’s looked really good. He’s done a great job of responding the right way.”

Of course, this time of year everyone is optimistic about everyone on the roster. But rest assured, the Rams are committed to his development and so is Atwell himself.

Atwell appeared to be more confident and knowledgeable than he did in training camp last year. He lined up in the right spots and ran the correct routes, which wasn’t always the case last year. That confidence has translated to being more sure-handed. He caught everything thrown his way. That included throws he had to reach for. That’s great news for the status of his injured shoulder that was operated on some eight months prior.

Atwell and the rest of the receiving corps were at Rams OTAs today. Including the newest addition Allen Robinson. He and Cooper Kupp were seemingly attached at the hip. Van Jefferson was at the facility, but he didn’t participate in drills. Wide receiver Lance McCutcheon, undrafted free agent rookie out of Montana State, made a few spectacular grabs while the team was in 7-on-7 drills.

He is 6’3” 202 lbs and he set the MSU record with over 19 yards per catch in college. He also posted an impressive 6.82 three-cone drill at his pro day. That time would have put him third at the combine among wide receivers.

Jacob Harris and Tyler Higbee both participated in today’s Rams OTAs as well. Incredibly Higbee was doing so without a knee brace despite injuring it late in the playoffs. Harris on the other hand was still in a knee brace but looked strong running sprits on the sideline. He was also doing a running drill while sinking his hips, which puts a lot of strain on his knees.

The media was given a chance to talk to the Rams Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance Reggie Scott about his work within the Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society. He spoke more specifically about the NFL Foundation Ethnic Minority and Female Athletic Training Student Scholarship Program and the NFL Diversity of Sports Medicine Pipeline Initiative. Both programs are designed to build and foster diversity within the medical side of the NFL.

More info about those can be found at PFATS and NFL launches initiative to increase diversity in sports medicine.

Stay tuned for more updates from Rams OTAs on June 1st and 2nd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May 26 Rams OTAs News And Notes: Youth Shines Bright

[www.lafbnetwork.com]

Ryan Anderson

As important as it is to note who was in attendance, who was not in attendance could be even more notable. Among the Los Angeles Rams players not on the practice field were Leonard Floyd, Aaron Donald, A’Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines, Jalen Ramsey, and Troy Hill. Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson were the most notable players from the offense that didn’t participate. Henderson missed because of a soft tissue injury.

That left Jake Funk and rookie Kyren Williams with the bulk of the running back duties. Jake Funk looked good when running and cutting coming off of his season-ending hamstring injury. The running back room is in an interesting place with a healthy Funk and the newly drafted Williams. It will be something to watch as their roles develop

A big question mark last season was at punt returner. There weren’t a lot of reps at today’s Rams OTAs for special teams drills, but the returning rotation included Tutu Atwell, Kyren Williams, Raymond Calais, and, of course, Brandon Powell

Powell should be considered to be the front runner for the job based on last season’s performance, but there are concerns when trying to fit him on a 53-man roster. Powell was added to the team after several injuries on offense. His place on the team could be directly related to the health and development of Tutu Atwell.

Atwell was worked a lot in today’s installment of LA Rams OTAs. He is still small and he is still incredibly fast. He doesn’t look like he has put on the weight that the Rams wanted to see him add going back to his rookie offseason. But speed is speed and Coach Sean McVay recognizes that Atwell has a high upside. McVay told Conner Zimmer of SI.com, “I still believe Tutu can be that guy…He’s looked really good. He’s done a great job of responding the right way.”

Of course, this time of year everyone is optimistic about everyone on the roster. But rest assured, the Rams are committed to his development and so is Atwell himself.

Atwell appeared to be more confident and knowledgeable than he did in training camp last year. He lined up in the right spots and ran the correct routes, which wasn’t always the case last year. That confidence has translated to being more sure-handed. He caught everything thrown his way. That included throws he had to reach for. That’s great news for the status of his injured shoulder that was operated on some eight months prior.

Atwell and the rest of the receiving corps were at Rams OTAs today. Including the newest addition Allen Robinson. He and Cooper Kupp were seemingly attached at the hip. Van Jefferson was at the facility, but he didn’t participate in drills. Wide receiver Lance McCutcheon, undrafted free agent rookie out of Montana State, made a few spectacular grabs while the team was in 7-on-7 drills.

He is 6’3” 202 lbs and he set the MSU record with over 19 yards per catch in college. He also posted an impressive 6.82 three-cone drill at his pro day. That time would have put him third at the combine among wide receivers.

Jacob Harris and Tyler Higbee both participated in today’s Rams OTAs as well. Incredibly Higbee was doing so without a knee brace despite injuring it late in the playoffs. Harris on the other hand was still in a knee brace but looked strong running sprits on the sideline. He was also doing a running drill while sinking his hips, which puts a lot of strain on his knees.

The media was given a chance to talk to the Rams Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance Reggie Scott about his work within the Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society. He spoke more specifically about the NFL Foundation Ethnic Minority and Female Athletic Training Student Scholarship Program and the NFL Diversity of Sports Medicine Pipeline Initiative. Both programs are designed to build and foster diversity within the medical side of the NFL.

More info about those can be found at PFATS and NFL launches initiative to increase diversity in sports medicine.

Stay tuned for more updates from Rams OTAs on June 1st and 2nd.
Love that they point out this agility drill time and not a single mention of 40 time :D

The first draft profile I read of him says he lacks speed to make an NFL roster yet he averaged 19 YPC. Love a project who excelled like that in college and had the agility scores the Rams look at. Really curious how his in game speed is and if there was tracking for that at MSU.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love that they point out this agility drill time and not a single mention of 40 time :D

The first draft profile I read of him says he lacks speed to make an NFL roster yet he averaged 19 YPC. Love a project who excelled like that in college and had the agility scores the Rams look at. Really curious how his in game speed is and if there was tracking for that at MSU.
I agree, he has great size, but the game speed could translate differently as we've seen with the likes of Jordan Fuller & Cooper Kupp.

Also starting to agree that Brandon Powell is in for a battle because of the number. I don't trust Tutu returning punts, but Kyren Williams is a different story, if he can return punts and Funk kickoffs my concern is because of the numbers game, Powell could be gone, but it won't take long for somebody to claim him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree Powell has to make it. He really settled things down for us last year and I don't want our top two wideouts risked doing that.

Also it is good to hear Tutu is back out there doing returns, as depth in that job is nice and it is appropriate for a depth wideout which Tutu is. Last year he had trouble in his decision making, so the snaps hopefully help there.

Bottom of that wideout depth chart should be a great camp and preseason battle.. (y)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, he has great size, but the game speed could translate differently as we've seen with the likes of Jordan Fuller & Cooper Kupp.

Also starting to agree that Brandon Powell is in for a battle because of the number. I don't trust Tutu returning punts, but Kyren Williams is a different story, if he can return punts and Funk kickoffs my concern is because of the numbers game, Powell could be gone, but it won't take long for somebody to claim him.
CBS had him as one of the small school UDFA targets that could stick. That is 100% a McVay WR description. Good route runner good get off and acceleration. Add in the body control and radius if he can catch the ball and block he could stick.

1653840152357.png

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree Powell has to make it. He really settled things down for us last year and I don't want our top two wideouts risked doing that.

Also it is good to hear Tutu is back out there doing returns, as depth in that job is nice and it is appropriate for a depth wideout which Tutu is. Last year he had trouble in his decision making, so the snaps hopefully help there.

Bottom of that wideout depth chart should be a great camp and preseason battle.. (y)
I took a lot of grief for saying Powell wasn't likely to stick on the roster if all he contributed was returns. That last WR spot likely has to be a returner hence we see him and Tutu doing PR in ota's.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I took a lot of grief for saying Powell wasn't likely to stick on the roster if all he contributed was returns. That last WR spot likely has to be a returner hence we see him and Tutu doing PR in ota's.
In fairness most the grief was from me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Whitley has impressive measurables, however, not sure how that will translate once the pads go on because tackling was an area of weakness.

Glad Powell getting some snaps on offense because I do believe he can add something there too. I really want Powell returning punts & kickoffs this year regardless of the numbers game at WR.
If it’s between he and Tutu I guess Tutu wins. The Rams have so many talented receivers, or receivers with specific talents that make them interesting. It will be tough for Powell to stick in that regard.

I believe that teams had no fear of Tutu after watching a few of hos punt returns. The basically teed off. With Powell in there he was a real threat and they had to play more disciplined.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe that teams had no fear of Tutu after watching a few of hos punt returns. The basically teed off. With Powell in there he was a real threat and they had to play more disciplined.
Without a doubt which is why I think Powell makes the team. But just like I said last year around this time if Tutu is a depth WR, which it looks like he is going to be, he should learn how to do punt returns in order to help the team out. So the snaps are good for him there.

Punt returns are a tough job for some players. Some guys might not be able to master the logic chain on when to fair catch while close to the endzone for example. He had trouble with that but he didn't really do it prior so maybe he can figure it out. With his raw talent I would hope it's something he can learn.

Looking at punt returner in general I think the Rams need to do a better job roster-wise in ensuring they have options. In close games if say Powell goes down then what. There should be a few guys up for gameday that can do it, not to include Kupp. Losing Tutu to injury doing it is no problem, he's a depth WR so the risk is acceptable. But a guy like Kupp or Robinson should never have to do it, at least in an ideal world.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brandon Powell was an asset to the special teams unit returning punts for good yardage and confidently catching every punt that came his way. I can't see McCay giving that up for Atwell or anyone else. Powell is too valuable imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Brandon Powell was an asset to the special teams unit returning punts for good yardage and confidently catching every punt that came his way. I can't see McCay giving that up for Atwell or anyone else. Powell is too valuable imo.
I hope that you are right. It seems like McVay's never been too concerned with dedicating a roster spot for returners. I understand it often doesn't work well with roster limits and game day active requirements, but Powell has to have impressed upon McVay just how important it is to have a guy that can be relied on and also give the offense good field position. I've often wondered if McVay figured his offense would be good enough not to need good returners. I really think with the 18 game schedule that teams rosters should be expanded so they can carry a few extra players as active on game day. The longer the season the higher the risk. Injuries due to wear and tear is a reality. I also advocated for a second bye week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Without a doubt which is why I think Powell makes the team. But just like I said last year around this time if Tutu is a depth WR, which it looks like he is going to be, he should learn how to do punt returns in order to help the team out. So the snaps are good for him there.

Punt returns are a tough job for some players. Some guys might not be able to master the logic chain on when to fair catch while close to the endzone for example. He had trouble with that but he didn't really do it prior so maybe he can figure it out. With his raw talent I would hope it's something he can learn.

Looking at punt returner in general I think the Rams need to do a better job roster-wise in ensuring they have options. In close games if say Powell goes down then what. There should be a few guys up for gameday that can do it, not to include Kupp. Losing Tutu to injury doing it is no problem, he's a depth WR so the risk is acceptable. But a guy like Kupp or Robinson should never have to do it, at least in an ideal world.
Rams teams of old always seemed to value both kick and punt returners. They had some good ones through the years. I've always enjoyed that aspect of the game. Its added excitement on kickoffs and punts. It was boring knowing that Kupp was going to fair catch every kick. When that's the plan it doesn't do much to inspire the rest of the unit.