Rams OTA's & minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
One thing to remember is that Powell would be active on game day which makes him much more valuable than the 5 who will be sitting it out in street cloths.

I think McVay appreciates, more than ever, how having a great returner can translate into more wins

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Give me Powell over Atwell.

And I think it was Powell who during the SB went up to Stafford and said he wishes he was out there making plays for him.. that speaks volumes to me.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Give me Powell over Atwell.

And I think it was Powell who during the SB went up to Stafford and said he wishes he was out there making plays for him.. that speaks volumes to me.
true but with all the injuries they didn't even try use him, that speaks volumes to me how the Coaching staff views him.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
true but with all the injuries they didn't even try use him, that speaks volumes to me how the Coaching staff views him.
Agree. Also perhaps he's still learning/adjusting.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you probably right as he was a late pickup but he's definitely our best option as a returner on kickoffs/punts.
Can we say that honestly? Based on his performance in 2021 he's got some ground to stand on but we don't know what some of these guys in camp can do. We always though come back to the depth chart and how many WR's are the Rams going to keep?

Going back through games last year we kept 5 active. So that's Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson pretty much locks to be active. Now we have 2 others among Atwell, Skow and Powell the next group of most likely. With the outliers as McCutheon, Koski, Akers and Warren Jackson. Note this doesn't include the potential of bringing back OBJ who granted probably doesn't do anything until what December?

Brandon Powell had 3 snaps of offense in 6 regular season games. I still say if Powell makes it on the team he's going to have to contribute on offense as well as special teams to boost his case. He very well could be the best returner the Rams have ever had or just the best since Az Zahir Akim. I look forward to the bottom half of this position groups battle as much as I do the CB/S battle in camp.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To keep Powell, when you start working with our numbers at WR… What did we keep last year? 6?

Top 4 seems easy… Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Atwell

To keep Powell you’re cutting one of; Harris, Skowronek

And who knows, maybe one of the tall rookies surprise.

It is a tall climb for Powell. But he’s a natural returner. I really appreciate that part of his game.

Lance McCutcheonWR6-3Montana StateRook
84Landen Akers25WR1916-0Iowa St.7/7/19971
17J.J. Koski26WR1956-1Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo12/27/19961
12Van Jefferson26WR2006-1Mississippi,Florida7/26/19962Los Angeles Rams / 2nd / 57th pick / 2020
83Warren JacksonWR2196-6Colorado St.Rook
15Tutu Atwell23WR1655-9Louisville10/7/19991Los Angeles Rams / 2nd / 57th pick / 2021
19Brandon Powell27WR1885-8Florida9/12/19954
18Ben Skowronek25WR2246-3Northwestern,Notre Dame6/27/19971Los Angeles Rams / 7th / 249th pick / 2021
10Cooper Kupp29WR2086-2East. Washington6/15/19935Los Angeles Rams / 3rd / 69th pick / 2017
1Allen Robinson29WR2206-2Penn St.8/24/19938Jacksonville Jaguars / 2nd / 61st pick / 2014
87Jacob Harris

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Can we say that honestly? Based on his performance in 2021 he's got some ground to stand on but we don't know what some of these guys in camp can do. We always though come back to the depth chart and how many WR's are the Rams going to keep?

Going back through games last year we kept 5 active. So that's Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson pretty much locks to be active. Now we have 2 others among Atwell, Skow and Powell the next group of most likely. With the outliers as McCutheon, Koski, Akers and Warren Jackson. Note this doesn't include the potential of bringing back OBJ who granted probably doesn't do anything until what December?

Brandon Powell had 3 snaps of offense in 6 regular season games. I still say if Powell makes it on the team he's going to have to contribute on offense as well as special teams to boost his case. He very well could be the best returner the Rams have ever had or just the best since Az Zahir Akim. I look forward to the bottom half of this position groups battle as much as I do the CB/S battle in camp.
Honestly I will say in my opinion he is only because I was never impressed with the other options available like Tutu for example. He looked lost and unsure of himself back there. I still think he will get hurt on ST if we need to use him as a returner. I don't mind him being the emergency backup but I can't see him beating out Powell.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The way the offense requires receivers to block, I don’t see how smaller guys like Powell and Atwell fit into it. Skowronek played a lot of snaps in the second half and I think that is in part due to his ability to block well. Add OBJ and the five are Kupp, Robinson, OBJ, Jefferson, Skowronek. That leaves two other 2021 draft picks looking in from the outside, in Atwell and Harris. Then add McCutcheon and Powell. I’m not even counting Akers and Koski

I read that the Rams are thinking of Harris maybe moving back to the Tight End group. He looks pretty thin for that, but hopefully it works out.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The way the offense requires receivers to block, I don’t see how smaller guys like Powell and Atwell fit into it. Skowronek played a lot of snaps in the second half and I think that is in part due to his ability to block well. Add OBJ and the five are Kupp, Robinson, OBJ, Jefferson, Skowronek. That leaves two other 2021 draft picks looking in from the outside, in Atwell and Harris. Then add McCutcheon and Powell. I’m not even counting Akers and Koski

I read that the Rams are thinking of Harris maybe moving back to the Tight End group. He looks pretty thin for that, but hopefully it works out.
counting OBJ though is a little premature since he isn't signed but let's say its a sure thing, he won't count on the active roster because he won't be ready till November at best. so that leaves 3 spots up for grabs. I'm thinking Tutu, Skow and Powell. I see Harris as possibly not making the cut. Its going to be a fun preseason at the WR and DB positions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

He is still listed as TE on their roster, and on pro football reference.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Benny Skow is a special teams ace and ahead of Titu at WR based on last season. There is zero chance that he will be cut

Powell and Skow along with others at the bottom of the roster will make it based on their special teams play no matter their position

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tutu should be number 4 on the depth chart. Seriously if he can't work his way in front of skow then he doesn't deserve to be on the team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Tutu should be number 4 on the depth chart. Seriously if he can't work his way in front of skow then he doesn't deserve to be on the team.

I think they keep 6 with OBJ coming back later in the year.

1. Cooper Kupp
  2. Allen Robinson
  3. Van Jefferson
  4. Tutu Atwell
  5. Ben Skowronek
  6. Branden Powell
Five active on game day, if they are going to pass more on offense Atwell plays ahead of Skowronek regardless of special teams and Powell remains active returning punts & kickoffs.

Tano

Legend

1. Cooper Kupp
  2. Allen Robinson
  3. Van Jefferson
  4. Tutu Atwell
  5. Ben Skowronek
  6. Branden Powell
Five active on game day, if they are going to pass more on offense Atwell plays ahead of Skowronek regardless of special teams and Powell remains active returning punts & kickoffs.
I don't think Powell even gets a position classification in McVay's mind -5 WR active plus a special team player (Powell)

I think Skow is going to play from time to time on offense due to his blocking abilities

Rams43

Hall of Fame

1. Cooper Kupp
  2. Allen Robinson
  3. Van Jefferson
  4. Tutu Atwell
  5. Ben Skowronek
  6. Branden Powell

I see both Skow and Powell active on game days if only for their ST values.

So, this would mean that Atwell will be inactive even before the potential return of OBJ. It’s simply a numbers game. I’m thinking that Atwell will have to beat out Jefferson in order to be active on game day. THAT seems highly unlikely to me.

IF Rams can find another beastly returner then Powell is obviously vulnerable as ST seems his only opportunity to see the field on this roster.

Skow is a work in progress and his career could go in either direction. The kid is easy to root for and is the very definition of potential.

Rams are a very, very tough team for a young WR to try to crack the roster. No shame in being a #5 WR in this WR room.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hypothetical for all of you saying Powell has made the team based solely on his return ability. What happens if Kyren Williams, who has a much clearer path to be active on game days when you take ST out of the equation, wins the return job in camp. He has experience and will be either the 3rd or 4th RB. Rams kept 4 RB active a lot with Buddy Powell playing on teams so we now have Funk and Williams as ST contributors. Powell drop to 6th on the WR depth chart based on Atwell and Skow being much more productive on offense? Just looking at the roster here.

Did I say yet I'm ready for training camp?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did I say yet I'm ready for training camp?
I am not seeing the exact start of Training camp... but I think it is exactly 8 weeks away.

Last year it started the last full week of July.