Rams Injury Updates 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My understanding that WS/ILB'er Kenny Young was limited on Thursday's practice list. Starting MLB'er Micah Kiser was a no go all week. He will not play Sunday. So the main concern is @ that MLB post.

The key information from yesterday Thursday's Practice list is .......Safety Jordan Fuller is back & @ full go! With the starting tandem back together again Fuller/JJ III as our starting safeties, this will free up last year's starting safety Taylor Rapp to move back up, into what he did very well early his rookie season as a part time starter playing in the ILB'er post on passing downs. Another Safety rookie 3rd rd pick Terrell Burgess who saw a large number of snaps with the defense since rookie Fuller went out, now has worked himself in Staley 2020 defense.

If ILB Kenny Young can manage just half of his normal snaps with the defense Sunday on early rundowns & Taylor Rapp gets the rest....... Staley's defense should be in good shape @ one of the two ILB'er posts.

This leaves the concerns for the MLB post. Troy Reeder is a good run stuffer but poor in coverage so just how well Washington can get Reeder matched up with a pass play involving RB/ TE/ WR is the problem. WE will get a real good look at just how well our DC can do.

With corners Darious Williams- Troy Hill & David Long all healthy & available to work & play the two outside & Nickle posts it could leave the very talented Jalen Ramsey available as one serious "Wild Card" this Sunday.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a quick post to show my appreciation for all that keep this thread up to date, and full of good info!

Appreciate it boys! (y)

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I saw way more of Troy Reeder out there than I preferred

Exactly. I'm sure he can play better with time and I'm of the thought he had his moments last year. But I just see this week as a chance for us to see what Natrez and/or Hollins would do at ILB, just to see what other options we have. Actually if Kiser and/or Young are banged up enough, it may not hurt us to bring Bituli up from the PS. Doubt that happens as we already have to make a move to activate Lewis.

But lets go back to the end of the 2016 College football season. If someone would say that in 2020, an NFL team would have Micah Kiser and Natrez Patrick as their ILBs on an NFL team, you would have thought that would be a good thing as both were projected to be solid LBs in the league. I'd really like to see what we'd have with him at ILB, as well as Hollins there too.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. I'm sure he can play better with time and I'm of the thought he had his moments last year. But I just see this week as a chance for us to see what Natrez and/or Hollins would do at ILB, just to see what other options we have. Actually if Kiser and/or Young are banged up enough, it may not hurt us to bring Bituli up from the PS. Doubt that happens as we already have to make a move to activate Lewis.

But lets go back to the end of the 2016 College football season. If someone would say that in 2020, an NFL team would have Micah Kiser and Natrez Patrick as their ILBs on an NFL team, you would have thought that would be a good thing as both were projected to be solid LBs in the league. I'd really like to see what we'd have with him at ILB, as well as Hollins there too.
I would actually be very surprised if we DIDN'T bring Rozeboom or Bituli up for this weekend's game. Depending upon their confidence in Young's health, I wouldn't even be stunned if they brought both up, though that is much less likely.

Tano

Legend
My understanding that WS/ILB'er Kenny Young was limited on Thursday's practice list. Starting MLB'er Micah Kiser was a no go all week. He will not play Sunday. So the main concern is @ that MLB post.

The key information from yesterday Thursday's Practice list is .......Safety Jordan Fuller is back & @ full go! With the starting tandem back together again Fuller/JJ III as our starting safeties, this will free up last year's starting safety Taylor Rapp to move back up, into what he did very well early his rookie season as a part time starter playing in the ILB'er post on passing downs. Another Safety rookie 3rd rd pick Terrell Burgess who saw a large number of snaps with the defense since rookie Fuller went out, now has worked himself in Staley 2020 defense.

If ILB Kenny Young can manage just half of his normal snaps with the defense Sunday on early rundowns & Taylor Rapp gets the rest....... Staley's defense should be in good shape @ one of the two ILB'er posts.

This leaves the concerns for the MLB post. Troy Reeder is a good run stuffer but poor in coverage so just how well Washington can get Reeder matched up with a pass play involving RB/ TE/ WR is the problem. WE will get a real good look at just how well our DC can do.

With corners Darious Williams- Troy Hill & David Long all healthy & available to work & play the two outside & Nickle posts it could leave the very talented Jalen Ramsey available as one serious "Wild Card" this Sunday.
Ramsey will be shadowing McLaurin imho

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I tend to get overzealous and post them in the other injury thread as well but keep on posting!
Thanks OldSchool I didn't even think about it when I posted them.
That's my bad.
If you're cool with us posting them in the "rest of the west"
Feel free to drop them on the thread.
Between the two of us we'll get it done.:beer2:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I would actually be very surprised if we DIDN'T bring Rozeboom or Bituli up for this weekend's game. Depending upon their confidence in Young's health, I wouldn't even be stunned if they brought both up, though that is much less likely.

We have 3 ILBs on the practice squad in Bituli, Rozenboom, and Derrick Moncrief, so we have options there. Honestly it would seem to me that having one of those guys on the active roster benefits us more than having the extra RB, or WR we have currently on the roster.

Lewis being ready to play shortly, and the inconsistency of our edge guys means someone is leaving the 52 man roster.....and honestly it may be 2 guys if one of these ILBs get brought up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I always figure that all we can do is go with what we see and what we know.

What we see: Reeder isn't that good. He's not a thumper, has slow feet and not good laterally. He's a back up.

What we know: None of Patrick, Rosebaum, nor Bituli beat him out for the backup job. Staley didn't hesitate to start a sixth round safety over a second round safety.

Conclusion: While we may see some of those three get some linebacker snaps the coaches believe that Reeder is the better player, which doesn't speak too highly of Patrick, Bituli, or Rosebaum as the backup middle linebacker.....at least for now.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Pin and needles about Cam Akers.

I still think he's gonna be a d-o-double-g for us.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I always figure that all we can do is go with what we see and what we know.

What we see: Reeder isn't that good. He's not a thumper, has slow feet and not good laterally. He's a back up.

What we know: None of Patrick, Rosebaum, nor Bituli beat him out for the backup job. Staley didn't hesitate to start a sixth round safety over a second round safety.

Conclusion: While we may see some of those three get some linebacker snaps the coaches believe that Reeder is the better player, which doesn't speak too highly of Patrick, Bituli, or Rosebaum as the backup middle linebacker.....at least for now.

I wouldn't have expected Bituli, Rozenbom, or Moncrief to even make the roster without preseason games. Natrez was primarily working at edge rusher all offseason, so him getting run at ILB wasn't going to happen either. The 4 ILBs the Rams kept on the active roster (i'll include Howard in that for the sake of this discussion), but the 4 we projected to keep were the 4 who had actual NFL experience. Again, with no preseason games, that makes perfect sense. Reeder's spot I believe was solidified more by that, than by the new DC actually believing his spot is secure. But I like Reeder, I look at him a bit like Hager, but more of an actual linebacker, than a special teams guy like Hager was. I would say though that a real full preseason with actual games would have given a guy like Bituli a chance to compete with Reeder, as the skillset he showed in college would give him more upside in my opinion. But it would have been crazy not to keep Reeder based on his experience, even though its limited.

But as you said, I do think we can make some assumptions based upon what we've see. I would say that the fact that we've kept 3 ILBs on a practice squad shows me that after our starters, we wanted to make sure we have talented guys who we can develop to compete, and may like Kiser and Howard evolve into guys we feel comfortable starting. We can also safely say that Hollins acquisition with the coach who wanted to make him an ILB being our DC, AND Natrez Patrick, who can play edge or ILB being the first guy we brought up from the practice squad this season means in terms of our current 52 man roster, Hollins and Natrez at a minimum are going to provide us some depth at ILB, in particular now that we've activated Lewis is is likely ahead of both of them on the Edge depth chart.