Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Gay was my favorite kicker coming out a couple of years ago, very, very strong leg

crossing my fingers, the irony is Tampa the team that drafted him is up next

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe MacGinnis will get a shot first I believe they can just move him up without making a roster move because of COVID, but let's see how it plays out. Unlike others, Gay has a huge leg and maybe now they are looking for a bigger leg because of kickoffs and if they have to kick from a distance.

Psycho_X

Legend
Gay kicks nice and high and his one year wasn't terrible all thought his 5 missed xps came in two games. Seems ok under 40 yards. I don't think he did kickoffs for Tampa last year though as there are no stats for that except for one onside kick. Sooo, no idea how his kickoffs are which is concerning. Either way, he's young so maybe we can luck into something there. Whatever, desperation is what it is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right, we drafted Sam Sloman instead whilst Blankenship was available.

Doesn't have a very strong leg. His longest FG on the year is 44 yards. Sloman didn't pan out, but he had the leg to hit from 60.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't have a very strong leg. His longest FG on the year is 44 yards. Sloman didn't pan out, but he had the leg to hit from 60.
Not a strong leg at all. Sloman was heavily criticized for his KO depth, or lack thereof, Blankenship doesnt even kick off for the Colts.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I remembered Matt Gay, who I was unfamiliar with at the time, nailing a long FG in that awful loss to the Bucs last season; so I looked it up.

That was a season-long 58 yard kick. So, happy thoughts.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Does this Gay guy have red hair? We got Ginger kickers!

oldnotdead

Legend
Great another kicker with accuracy issues. Just what the Rams need. Matt is a second year player who's proved nothing in the NFL except he's inaccurate. In 16 games last year Matt was 27 of 35 on FGs and 43 of 48 on XP. Most disturbing is he had misses from all distances outside of 20 yds. Why is he even being brought in? Is he another Bonamego favorite like Sloman? These so called competitions set up by Bonamego have already proven bogus.

MacGinnis IMO isn't as good as Zuerlein was when Greg was at his best, but is probably the closest guy they have. Also, people tend to forget that Zuerlein has had an up and down career himself. This year so far he's 15 of 17 XP and 17 of 20 FGs. His range isn't what it used to be after his injury. He's only 1 of 4 from 50+ yds.

If I remember correctly Austin only missed one maybe two under 50 yds, while making others at 50+ yds. Austin has a strong leg so that will really help on STs. Accuracy wise I simply can't understand why they have totally discounted Lirim. His career accuracy has been better than Zuerlien's. That said Austin basically tied Lirim in TC and he's a lot younger.

Lirim is battle-tested in ways Mac hasn't been. I hope they finally give Mac the job and I hope he finally resolves the Ram PK problem long term. During TC part of the problem was that all 3 PK were kicking using a snapper and holder they had never worked with. Believe it or not it does affect the kicker in which everything is not only about consistent mechanics but timing and rythmn as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I remembered Matt Gay, who I was unfamiliar with at the time, nailing a long FG in that awful loss to the Bucs last season; so I looked it up.

That was a season-long 58 yard kick. So, happy thoughts.
Yeah the fact that he actually hit a 58 yarder at this level does tell us a lot. It means at least he's got the leg to hit a good length field goal without his trajectory being super low.

But I don't want to get all optimistic and shit though not ready for that just yet. :ROFLMAO: