Rams fall to Raiders 14-3: Instant analysis, game notes from preseason opener

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It not like OG's Kolone, Kaskey & Demby are dominating @ the moment. Its not like he s smaller than Austin Blythe @ RG....o_O

Demby needs to get some serious amounts of time @ the OG post & forget the OT(n) for now.

You're correct on both points, Demby looked bad and maybe just focusing on Guard will help. Remember how they kept flip flopping Brown 7 Havenstein? I understand about versatitily, but let the youngsters walk before they can run....But again, I think that is why Kromer challenges the younger guys so much.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You're correct on both points, Demby looked bad and maybe just focusing on Guard will help. Remember how they kept flip flopping Brown 7 Havenstein? I understand about versatitily, but let the youngsters walk before they can run....But again, I think that is why Kromer challenges the younger guys so much.

Yeah I remember the Brown/Havenstein thing and neither of them looked good being flipped back and forth. And I'd agree with you (it irritates me too) except for the fact that Kromer's been hitting almost everything out of the park with this line and who's where, and getting guys ready to go.

I think Demby will be just fine through the rest of preseason. Putting him at OT and C isn't great for him in terms of fan happiness and good PFF grades. Where he really took a hit is in the "first tackle off the bench" role but there's a long way to go still. It probably just means they will open that role a bit where he's duking it out with Edwards in the next game.

Third preseason with McVay and I really appreciate how they do it now. Sucks to watch but hard to argue with results.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IF Demby makes the team, it will be as a guard who is a 2nd backup option at tackle and center, so the Rams won't be totally screwed if there are multiple injuries on the OL. Any poor grades at OT or OC have to be viewed in that light. Except for a play or two while somebody is being taped, he won't be out there except at guard unless there are multiple injuries. Ideally, he will be getting more experience at those positions in Wednesday practice, too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Not sure about that and teams don't have number 3 Centers (final 53), I'm quite sure in the first four games that if something happen to Allen, they would slide Blythe over because Neary is suspended for the first four games. The Rams will have a third center, he'll just be on the practice squad IMHO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'd be surprised if anyone was thinking much past 2019 as far as Blythe goes, as he's approaching free agency next season. While Blythe did get some pre-season snaps in as a Center for 2018, I don't recall this as being all that successful. Where he did do well was at RG, enough so to deem Jamon Brown as irrelevant. With Neary on-board, i'd think Blythe may now be our #3 choice at Center. It's still early, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that Hrynkiewicz has passed him on the depth chart. I'm also yet to hear anything about whether the two of them (Neary/Hrynkiewicz) are showing much success in cross-training for OG. While Demby is receiving training all over the OL, he may one day fight for that #2 or #3 back-up Center role, I doubt that time is now though as apparently our needs at OG are far greater. At the moment, it's hard to tell who is leading for those back-up OG jobs between Demby, Evans & Edwards. Seems proper that Noteboom is the first man up at LT if Whitworth falters, and Edwards is then behind him at LT. Edwards is likely behind Demby at LG also. RG was an obvious weakness against New England during the Super Bowl, and again it's hard to say who may be leading in the #2 battle between Demby & Evans. I would presume that Evans is the leader behind Havenstein at RT, but apparently it's too early for affirmation here either.
A lot of unknowns as far as back-up offensive linemen go with only 3 more pre-season games to go. Hopefully the cream rises to the top in short order, Kromer has a big job on his hands to get these guys well situated, ... and soon.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams Org. 2019 off-season OL strategy might have been to advise Austin Blythe in his PIP to concentrate this off-season on just one post @ RG. IMO that would have been my plan. I have not heard or read anything thus far into this early season where AB has been utilized in practiced @ the center post.

Kromer obviously came into camp with reserve center prospects i.e. Neary, Kolone, Hrynkiewicz, Hitman & possibly Demby. Its getting obvious to me this early that Aaron Neary (who Kromer has had with him since early 2017) is the leading candidate to be our primary reserve in 2019 in spite of his four suspension @ the beginning of this season. Neary has been banging around the NFL on four different teams since 2016. In college Neary was a starting OG for 46 games for four seasons. The short comings of Neary have been lacking core power & bad weight around his midsection. Its obvious from Camp & the pre season game that Neary has taken care of that midsection issue & he had no issues with what the Raiders starters line up over him for 3 quarters.

Jeremiah Kolone who was signed early last season as a UDFA was a swing OG for Kromer. In college Kolone started primarily @ LG. Kolone secondary post in college was center with starts. When Kromer released him he later joined SD Fleet with Martz & was his starting center.

Vitas Hrynkiewicz did not get many snaps until very late in the 4th quarter but I came away with a positive take on him. Any investigation into his college career will give you a :) when your done. VH was not invited to the combine. Had Hrynkiewicz been invited to the NFL Combine, his 40-yard dash time would have been third among draft eligible centers. VT is just under 6-4 & usually weights out between 305-310 range through-out. I have found nothing that would keep Hrynkiewicz from becoming the type of Kromer interior OL'er who can provide some versatility and depth along the interior. The Neary suspension should be a positive for VH to make the 2019 Rams initial Practice Squad.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...eseason-week-one-oakland-raiders-john-wolford
Los Angeles Rams preseason week one: Stock up, stock down
Week one of the preseason has come and gone. Let’s take a look at which players are trending in the right direction, and which are headed downward.
By Sosa Kremenjas

Stock Up(y)

CB Darious Williams:sneaky:

The secondary might be the deepest position on the Rams’ roster, and ironically enough, it was the under-the-radar Williams who made his name known in the week one contest. The Rams invested rather significant draft capital in backup cornerbacks in safeties, though the star of the unit was a surprise candidate. Williams was in great coverage nearly all game, made multiple plays on the ball, and led the team with six solo tackles.

FS Taylor Rapp:yess:

Rapp is a football player, simply put. The Rams used him as a subpackage linebacker majority of the game as he lined up next to both ILB Micah Kiser and ILB Bryce Hager. The touchdown run from the Raiders wasn’t a great rep for either of Kiser or Rapp, though Rapp made sure to wash that rep out of the memory real quick with an otherwise solid performance. A pass breakup on 3rd-and-long and an open field tackle on 3rd-and-medium showed Rapp’s versatility.

WR KhaDarel Hodge:rolleyes:

Another preseason, another chance for Hodge to show out. After going undrafted in 2018, the small-school receiver has done everything needed to stand out in an absolutely loaded receiver room. No, Hodge won’t factor into major playing time in 2019 — barring injury — though he is once again starting to put together a campaign which should keep him in Los Angeles.

NT Greg Gaines:lifting:

Gaines didn’t even show up on the stat sheet, and yet he still had a very solid performance as the second-team nose tackle. Sebastian Joseph-Day kicked off the festivities with the starters, though it was evident Gaines was the more impactful player. Gaines routinely found himself in the backfield of the Raiders on running plays, and had a pass rush or two that netted a solid result. The gap between Gaines and SJD should be closing after their performances in week one of the preseason.

QB John Wolford:bow:

Have the Rams found a potential future backup quarterback? Wolford — who was a star in the AAF — joined the Rams once the league folded, looking for a chance to make an NFL roster. And while his odds were very long, he absolutely made a statement in his first NFL action. Wolford was decisive, quick to read his progressions, accurate with his passes, and created plays outside of the pocket and out of structure. Wolford looks eons better than Brandon Allen and could very well work his way into a third quarterback role (whether that’s on the 53-man roster or practice squad).

Stock Down
OL Bobby Evans:thinking:

Evans — like most of the offensive lineman in the game — swapped across the line playing multiple positions, ranging from left tackle to right tackle to interior offensive lineman. Evans was struggling with speed in particular, though it was only his first NFL game action. Evans was the earlier draft pick of the two between himself and David Edwards, though he was outplayed by Edwards in week one.

TE Johnny Mundt:sleep:

Mundt was the starting tight end as he’s likely the current third-string tight end on the roster. Simply put, he wasn’t good. Mundt was targeted four times and only reeled in one reception for 23 yards, dropping at least one pass that hit him right in the hands. If any of the other tight ends on the roster below Mundt show some positives, Mundt could be on the roster bubble.

QB Brandon Allen:palm::sick:

Allen has been with the Rams for two preseasons now, and unfortunately for both Allen and the Rams, he has yet to stand out in any positive manner. In 2018, Allen was outplayed by former backup QB Sean Mannion, and thus far has been outplayed by undrafted free agent QB John Wolford.

EDGE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo:blah::help::sadwalk:

Obgo continues to miss practices and games by way of injury. If you can’t play, you can’t make the roster. For a day three draft pick, Ogbo continues to trend in the wrong direction. If he can get playing time — or even practice time — he could begin to climb the depth chart, though that seems far fetched at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree.

It's my belief that Aaron Neary IS our top reserve center behind Brian Allen now, with Demby being the last ditch emergency contention until Neary returns week 5. However, that 4 game suspension for the first four games must be resolved during that period. My thoughts are starting RG Austin Blythe will assume Neary's back up center position simple as that. Now here's where the big hard question for Kromer/Dickerson is yet to be answered.

IF an issue were to take place where starting center Allen was unable to start thus Blythe would then take over controls of that starting center post no question about that ......Now who would be the best OL'er to replace Blythe @ RG that's the biggy! Myself I would forget about Kolone or Demby or Vitas Hrynkiewicz or Hitman being the answer to start @ center & look for a RG answer instead.

What we have seen thus far in the earlier OTA's/Training Camp & after one Preseason game is Kromer has been working Demby, Kolone, Evans & Hitman @ RG. Maybe any of the TC attendees who had opportunities to observe the OL could provide or add additional information on which other OL'ers (Brewer/ Kaskey/ Edwards ) been getting snaps @ RG?

I would think that last years 6th rd draft selection Demby & this years top OL'er pick Bobby Evans would be the top two RG prospects to start @ RG if the above scenario were to take place. Would I be out of my small mind to suggest to Kromer to maybe look elsewhere & add OL'er Chandler Brewer into the mix & see how that works out. Brewer played the entire second half @ right OT & had no issues period. Even Matt Kaskey might be worth a look.

My current conclusion has not changed for some time now as I have beat the drums over & over... This Rams OL does not have issues with starters or reserves @ LT or RT or center. It is those two interior OG post that are sure future problems & can be a present problem due to injury @ center early. Future Ram starting OG's need to be found now in this 2019 preseason.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if our old buddy John Greco has enough left in him in case of emergency. He started 7 games at both C & RG last year.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
FB_IMG_1566056688501.jpg