Rams duo of Cory Littleton, Micah Kiser at ILB has great potential

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Both Littleton and Barron were far more polished than Kiser coming into the NFL.
More opinion on your part as Littleton wasn't even drafted.
Barron came in as a strong safety which I think is comparing apples to oranges when you are talking about a 2 down run stopper.

Kiser and Littleton aren't even playing the same position because we're talking about the Will linebacker versus the Sam.

Definitely different skill sets to some degree.

They drafted Kiser for his skill set as they were already looking to improve against the run.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Go ahead and do your own research. Physical traits are important in the NFL. It's often what separates the 1st rounders from the others. Understanding the concepts used in the NFL is needed to put things into context.

John Kelly was very good in college. But his play to date hasn't translated. His lack of speed was readily apparent last year. I used physical traits to illustrate issues with Blythe and I offered examples of how it affects his play. Again I offer the NO playoff game. Watch each play and just iso on Blythe. You will see 3 maybe 4 times he blew his block and how it affected the play. That isn't unverified generalities.

Kiser was taken knowing he was going to be a work in progress. That's why they gave him a whole year to develop. He hit the weights and he's bulked up and strengthened. Hopefully they also worked on his quickness, which is also something that can be improved. The top players will go to specific trainers or training sites to work on things. Drew Brees came out of college with evaluators saying he lacked arm strength. It showed in his early years. Then in his final off season with the Chargers he went to work with a trainer and performance facility in Carlsbad, CA. He improved his arm, and his ability to read defenses....he went from bust to a lock to be a first ballot HOF QB.

I'm not saying that's going to happen with Kiser, but saying just making it to the NFL isn't enough to stay. His work ethic will ultimately determine that.
It is not my responsibility to verify your claims by doing research. Generally speaking, when making a claim a responsible person backs it with with their own research. I can't just say whatever I want and then tell you to research it.

Also, your problem send to be that he's short, not that he's undersized. You only mentioned heights and arm length for your size comparison. Weight is a factor as well. Inch for inch, Kiser is bigger than Littleton and Barron and even some of the greats that I mentioned.

He's not as fast, but I don't think anyone is expecting speed to be his game.

You have successfully pointed out that a short (for athletes), heavy guy is slow. Well done.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
John Kelly was very good in college. But his play to date hasn't translated. His lack of speed was readily apparent last year. I used physical traits to illustrate issues with Blythe and I offered examples of how it affects his play. Again I offer the NO playoff game. Watch each play and just iso on Blythe. You will see 3 maybe 4 times he blew his block and how it affected the play. That isn't unverified generalities.

Can I just disagree on Kelly and Blythe?

Kelly wasn't drafted to be a feature back. He was drafted as a backup who can play special teams and occasionally play offensive downs. It's not his speed or height that Kelly has that makes him valuable; it's his vision and ability to power through tackles - both of which were on display in the preseason. That's why I think he makes the roster over Davis and Colburn.

Blythe may not have the size to be in a power-scheme, but we're more zone-blocking than anything, and he fits in fine. For every play in the New Orleans and Cheatriots game, I can point out one or two with any other game. He was great in the Cowboys game, for example.

As for Kiser, if he's a two-down player, that's fine, so long as he can stop the run - which I think he will be able to do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...art-ilb-micah-kiser-clay-matthews-mark-barron

2019 Los Angeles Rams roster preview: ILB Micah Kiser, back up

The second-year inside linebacker is set for a much more notable role this year compared to last.

By Sean Wilkinson@Papa_Lurch Jul 25, 2019, 9:00am CDT

1081720670.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
Los Angeles Rams ILB Micah Kiser enters his second year in the NFL with a lot to prove. He was a 2018 NFL Draft 5th-round selection and was able to get a bit of playing time when former Ram and current Pittsburgh Steeler ILB Mark Barron was injured.

He played admirably enough to earn a shot to be a starter inside in 2019.

Roster Battle
Kiser will be competing with Clay Matthews for snaps at ILB, but it won’t be a traditional competition in the sense that I don’t think there will be a clear winner or loser. I know we all wince at timeshares, but I think that is what we will see between Matthews and Kiser.

Kiser could be used to keep Matthews fresh as well as fill in if/when Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips decides to move Matthews into a rushing role.

I’m not sure there’s a challenge to Kiser from the rest of the depth in Dakota Allen (roster preview), Natrez Patrick (roster preview), Troy Reeder (roster preview) or hybrid S/LB Travin Howard (roster preview). They’re probably battling to backup Kiser instead of competing with him outright.

Expectations
Be a presence in the run game and don’t be a liability in coverage. The Rams need Kiser to be that ‘thumper’ that keeps opposing offenses from attacking the defense right up the middle with Barron gone.

Chances of making the final roster (9.5/10)
There are very few scenarios I can envision where Kiser isn’t on the initial 53-man roster.

But this is the NFL, and stranger things have happened..

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Refresh my memory--Barron began last year injured, and didn't start until around game 8? I remember feeling so relieved when he returned, because our D was struggling. Who was playing ILB next to Littleton our first 7 games last year?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Roster Battle
Kiser will be competing with Clay Matthews for snaps at ILB, but it won’t be a traditional competition in the sense that I don’t think there will be a clear winner or loser. I know we all wince at timeshares, but I think that is what we will see between Matthews and Kiser.

IMO there really isn't a competition between Matthews and Kiser. The Rams don't want an old pass rusher getting hammered in the run game on early downs, so Matthews won't be doing too much of that unless Kiser disappoints (and even then the priority of edge rush trumps interior LB). If and when we face a team that throws extremely well and has a lot of weapons for early down passing, then Kiser might have to come out and in that case Matthews is a good option, but even then it doesn't have to be Matthews going in there at ILB, it could be a shift to a nickel to match up with that type of team so that they can keep Clay where he'll be most effective.

Matthews is most likely going to play OLB more than anything else. Because he's our best pass rusher, and will remain so barring Fowler suddenly putting everything together.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams...ittleton-needs-to-earn-new-contract-with-rams

Cory Littleton needs to be on the money at linebacker for Rams

By Gary KleinStaff Writer
Aug. 6, 2019

A progression from undrafted free agent to special-teams standout to defensive signal caller for the Rams continued for inside linebacker Cory Littleton last season with his selection to the Pro Bowl.In three seasons, he has developed into one of the Rams’ most versatile, dependable and productive players.“He’s got great instincts, great awareness,” coach Sean McVay said of Littleton, who participated in the Pro Bowl as a special-teams player. “Cory had a great season last year where he really demonstrated that he’s a big-time linebacker.”And yet, Littleton’s future with the Rams beyond this season is unclear.

Littleton is playing on a one-year, restricted free-agent contract that will pay him about $3.1 million, a bargain for a Rams team aiming to return to the Super Bowl after losing to the New England Patriots last season.Littleton, 25, would welcome a generous long-term contract offer from the Rams, but it has not been offered.“To be with the same guys I’ve been with the past couple seasons would be awesome,” he said.But Littleton knows that NFL teams are in transition annually: Just look at another remade Rams defense.

In the wake of the $135-million extension that star tackle Aaron Donald received before last season, the Rams had to make some roster decisions going into this season. Defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, linebacker Mark Barron and safety Lamarcus Joyner were let go via free agency, partly because of performance and partly because of financial issues. The three players were paid a combined $35 million in 2018.

The Rams re-signed edge rusher Dante Fowler to a one-year deal for $12 million, and then added veteran safety Eric Weddle and linebacker Clay Matthews for a combined $8.75 million this season, according to overthecap.com. Defensive lineman Michael Brockers, 28, is carrying a salary-cap number of $10.8 million in the final season of his contract. Cornerback Aqib Talib, 33, will receive $8 million in the final season of his two-year deal.In regard to extensions, Littleton is one of several defensive players for whom the Rams are apparently taking a wait-and-see approach, especially with a massive extension for quarterback Jared Goff looming.
Consider:

▶ Fowler performed well after his trade-deadline acquisition last season, and — playing a premium position — could be in line for a multiyear contract or perhaps the franchise tag if he shows maturity and produces an outstanding season.

▶ Cornerback Marcus Peters will be paid slightly more than $9 million this season playing on a fifth-year option. He is a candidate for an extension or, possibly, the franchise tag in 2020.

▶ Safety John Johnson, an ascending star, will get slightly more than $867,000 in his third season and will be in line for a possible extension before his fourth if he maintains his trajectory.

Inside linebackers in 3-4 defensive schemes are not apt to generate the attention, eye-popping stats — or the paycheck — that outside linebackers historically have received.Littleton said his focus was on preparing for the season and winning the Super Bowl — not his contract.“Once we get to the season, everything is about the season,” he said. “After the season’s over, we’ll see what happens.”

The arrival of Weddle, a 12-year veteran who calls defensive signals, should free Littleton of some responsibility and enable him to make more plays. Weddle often adjusts coverages before and after the offense snaps the ball. Some players, Weddle said, have difficulty with the concept.Not Littleton.“He can think on the fly, is very instinctual and, obviously, he’s athletic and can do things a lot of other guys can’t,” Weddle said. “He’s super humble and has no ego.
It was imperative that we would work great together. ... It’s been great.”

The 6-foot-3, 228-pound Littleton backed up, and then started alongside, Barron the last three seasons. Now, Littleton is the mentor for young linebackers such as Micah Kiser, who is competing with Bryce Hager to start at the other inside spot.Littleton is “the most underrated player” in the NFL, Kiser said. “He can play every linebacker position,” Kiser said. “If they asked him to play line, I bet he could play D-line. I bet he could play safety.“He’s just very versatile, very athletic. But at the same time, he’s so smart. ... He’s a really calming presence, so it’s really good to play next to him.”

Also, in front of him as an edge rusher.“He’s like one of those kids in school — they look like they’re not paying attention and then the teacher asks them something and they just like tell you exactly what [the answer] is,” Fowler said. “He knows everything, inside-out.”

Last week, Littleton and the defense performed well in two practices with the Chargers. On Wednesday and Thursday, they will practice with the Oakland Raiders in Napa in preparation for their preseason opener Saturday in Oakland and the Sept. 8 season opener at the Carolina Panthers.

“We’re showing a lot of good signs,” Littleton said. “Just trying to fit everything together so we’re ready for Week 1.”