Rams duo of Cory Littleton, Micah Kiser at ILB has great potential

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/13/nfl-rams-cory-littleton-micah-kiser-linebacker/

Rams duo of Cory Littleton, Micah Kiser at ILB has great potential

By: Cameron DaSilva | July 13, 2019 10:00 am ET Follow @camdasilva

For the second year in a row, the Los Angeles Rams will have a new starter at inside linebacker. Last year, it was Cory Littleton who stepped up to replace Alec Ogletree after the Rams traded him to the Giants. This season, it’s up to Micah Kiser to fill the shoes of Mark Barron in the middle of the defense.

A lot of attention has been on that void left by Barron, but Littleton is not to be forgotten. He had a strong first season as a starter in 2018, particularly in coverage. His run defense left plenty to be desired, struggling in that area last season. Barron had his share of lapses against the run, too, which left the Rams vulnerable up the middle.That’s where Kiser steps in as the perfect complement to Littleton.

Ideally, both inside linebackers in a 3-4 scheme would be able to cover tight ends and running backs, sink into shallow zones and fill running lanes. That all-around talent is mostly reserved for the best linebackers in the league – the Bobby Wagners and the Luke Kuechlys.

The Rams don’t have one of those players in Littleton or Kiser, but the combination of the two has excellent potential. Littleton can assume most of the coverage responsibilities when needed, while Kiser steps up as a stout run defender.

We saw glimpses of Kiser being a promising run stopper in the preseason a year ago; he made 14 tackles in four games of limited playing time. In college, he was a tackling machine, making 408 total in his career – including 33.5 for a loss.

That’s not to say Littleton can ignore the run or that Kiser won’t be asked to drop back in coverage. They’ll each have to do plenty of both. But having two complementary linebackers is good news for the Rams.

And when there are obvious passing situations, Wade Phillips can pull Kiser off the field in favor of someone better in coverage such as Taylor Rapp or Marqui Christian.

There are countless combinations and possibilities for the Rams at linebacker and the switch from Barron to Kiser could prove to be an upgrade.

oldnotdead

Legend
Kiser is an under sized ILB who doesn't play to his straight line timed speed. For a smaller man he has limited agility and it shows in his film. He's strictly a two down ILB who will be pulled on passing downs. Because of his generally limited role he should be fine. He needs to build himself up and learn to read plays faster to allow him to play faster. He can be a hitter at times, but overall his tackling is inconsistent, and I think a lot of that stems from his smaller frame. It's clear he's added some bulk over the past year. If his weight gain is 6 lbs of muscle than he might play with better consistency.

His position is that of a 2 down role player. He will get pulled for the nickel DB. In that role he probably will be fine.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Kiser is an under sized ILB who doesn't play to his straight line timed speed. For a smaller man he has limited agility and it shows in his film. He's strictly a two down ILB who will be pulled on passing downs. Because of his generally limited role he should be fine. He needs to build himself up and learn to read plays faster to allow him to play faster. He can be a hitter at times, but overall his tackling is inconsistent, and I think a lot of that stems from his smaller frame. It's clear he's added some bulk over the past year. If his weight gain is 6 lbs of muscle than he might play with better consistency.

His position is that of a 2 down role player. He will get pulled for the nickel DB. In that role he probably will be fine.
Kiser is nowhere near these players in talent but he's listed as around the same size as Bobby Wagner, Ray Lewis, and Patrick Willis. I think that his size is ok.

oldnotdead

Legend
Guys like Bobby Wagner came into the NFL with a far more polished game. BTW Wagner runs a 4.46 and plays coverage and the run equally well. Kiser runs a 4.66 and is a liability in coverage and inconsistent in his run tackling. Kiser is a work in progress and the Rams know it. That was part of the reasoning for signing Mathews.

Don't misunderstand me please. Cory Littleton is a classic example of a guy who tests poorly but plays very well. Cory dropped out of the draft due to his horrible run times. But when you watch him play you see a guy that plays faster than he times and understands the concepts he needs to know. He reads plays well both run and pass and it allows him to be effective in coverage and against the run. Littleton is becoming an outstanding MIKE.

Another guy like Littleton who didn't test well and dropped in the draft because of it was Taylor Rapp, also from Washington BTW. But when you watch Rapp's game film you see a guy that plays faster than he times because he really understands the concepts he's reading. As such I expect the same type of player development in Rapp that we see in Littleton. The problem with Kiser is that he is no where near that level when you watch his game film. That doesn't mean he can't get there, but it means it will take a couple years at least.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd rather have a slower lber who can tackle than a super fast freak that over runs plays. The number 1 job of a lber is to hit the right gap and tackle. Something the lbers the last couple of seasons had a lot of trouble doing.

If kiser can do that I'll be thrilled.

oldnotdead

Legend
A slow LB will usually struggle in coverage. Speed kills, and the NFL has been getting faster every year. Bobby Wagner is fast and it allows him to cover like a SS and he tackles just fine and doesn't over run plays. A fast LB can get to the POA on a run play. He can cover side line to side line. A slow LB can't.

Kiser isn't particularly slow and in fact for a LB he's got decent speed. But coverage is more than about speed and that is what the point I was trying to make with the Middleton analogy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...r-preview-linebacker-depth-chart-dakota-allen

Rams roster preview: LB Dakota Allen has what it takes to be a starter

Allen earned his redemption after being kicked out of Texas Tech. Now, he’s on his way to earning a starting spot.

By TG25 Jul 22, 2019, 1:00pm CDT

usa_today_11666983.0.jpg
Michael
By now, most of us know Los Angeles Rams LB Dakota Allen’s story: kicked out of Texas Tech after being charged with second-degree felony burglary, forced to play his redshirt sophomore season at East Mississippi Community College in hopes of attracting another Division I offer, and finally returned to the place where it all started — Lubbock, Texas.

Allen finished his final two seasons with the Red Raiders as the leader of the defense and gained the attraction of NFL scouts. The Rams liked him enough to use their final pick on him.

A chance. That’s all Allen really needs.

Roster Battle
With LB Cory Littleton cemented as a starter with LB Clay Matthews and LB Micah Kiser likely filling up the other inside linebacking spot, Allen will have to prove his worth in two ways — as a viable backup or as a capable starter that can take the field in certain situations. It shouldn’t be difficult for Allen, who is a strong, athletic and versatile linebacker. In my opinion, he is capable of overtaking Bryce Hager’s spot.

Expectations
Allen was one of the best pass-defending linebackers in the nation, and it’s likely he can adapt his defensive skills against the NFL passing game. Allen is also a sure-tackler and a solid defender against the run.

His final season at Texas Tech earned him an honoree slot on the First Team All-Big 12. Through 10 games, he made 61 tackles, 5.5 TFL and two pass deflections. His best seasons were in 2016 with EMCC (117 tackles) and 2017 (101 tackles).

Chances of making the roster (9/10)
If you’ve watched Last Chance U, you know that the guys who went from Division I to EMCC hardly ever attract the same kind of offers they did when they were high school recruits. Allen not only received the same caliber offers, he was given another shot by Texas Tech and he gave the Red Raiders a great return on their investment in him.

That kind of tenacity is difficult to ignore, and it’s likely going to be the engine that drives Allen into a spot on the final 53-man roster this year. He’s a capable linebacker who will become an NFL starter soon, if not this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ebacker-safety-travin-howard-tcu-horned-frogs

Rams roster preview: LB Travin Howard following in the footsteps of former Rams ILB Mark Barron

A safety. Wait no, a linebacker...does it matter?

By 3k@3k_ Jul 21, 2019, 8:00am CDT

1030610722.jpg.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams LB/S Travin Howard during a preseason game against the New Orleans Saints, Aug. 30, 2018.
Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
Coming out of high school, Mark Barron played running back, wide receiver and linebacker. Once he joined the Alabama Crimson Tide though, he was remade at safety into one of the most punishing defensive backs in the country. Drafted seventh overall in the 2012 NFL Draft, his career floundered with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In the middle of his third season though, the St. Louis Rams traded for him to see if a change of scenery would help boost his fortunes. In 2015, Barron was still working at the back of the defense until injury struck — to OLB Alec Ogletree though, not to Barron. When Tree broke his leg in 2015, Barron was shipped to play the weak side next to ILB James Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis was released heading into 2016 with Ogletree tabbed to takeover the 4-3 Mike allowing Barron moved to OLB full-time. A year later under a new defense, Barron moved inside with him under new Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme.

That linebacker/safety relationship is one that has served many defenders over the years.

And it might well continue to serve another Ram in LB/S Travin Howard.

Howard played safety in high school and initially at TCU before making a move to linebacker in the middle of his sophomore season. A seventh-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, Howard didn’t break through last year and was cut in the build of the 2018 53-man roster after lining up at linebacker in the preseason. Howard came back in mid-October though to join the Rams’ practice squad and stayed there through the regular season into the playoffs.

While he doesn’t have the expectation level of a 7th overall pick, he’s got the hybrid mantle.

Does that help Howard make the 53-man roster in 2019?

Roster Battle
A question here of where he starts out heading into training camp and the preseason this year.

If it’s inside, he’s likely battling behind ILB Micah Kiser against guys like Natrez Patrick (roster preview) and Troy Reeder (roster preview).

If it’s at safety, he’s in the depth mix with Nick Scott, Steven Parker (roster preview) and Jake Gervase (roster preview).

In any case, it’s not a battle that looks to prove too tough for him from the outset.

Expectations
Not after spending last year on the PS. If anything, he’s got the bonus of low/no expectations paired with some experience with the coaching staff.

Chances of making the final roster (5/10)
Last year, Misone had him at a 5/10 to make the cut. I’ll run with it again this year. If he picked up anything from Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel or helped hone his game defensively, he could well find himself on the roster as the Rams get ready for Week 1 against the Carolina Panthers.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Don't be surprised to see both Allen and Howard as backups to Kiser and Littleton. And we also need to extend Littleton; he's an absolute stud.

I'm also interested in how Kiser fares as a potential starter.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't be surprised to see both Allen and Howard as backups to Kiser and Littleton. And we also need to extend Littleton; he's an absolute stud.

I'm also interested in how Kiser fares as a potential starter.
This season I expect mostly good things to come from having Kiser on the field in place of Mark Barron.

Been interested in Strong Safety/ILB'er Travin Howard. Just like what I have seen from him when he was in college. The next few weeks I will be looking for all the information I can find in TC in order to see where Wade & his coaches want to play Howard. It sure looks like the Rams are loaded with SS types & there is no need to insert Howard into the JJ III Weddle, Rapp, Christian & Scott battle.

I think the weak side interior LB'ing post is where I would first work Howard & that would be behind Kiser on the depth chart in competition with rookie Dakota Allen.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Kiser is an under sized ILB

Kiser is nowhere near these players in talent but he's listed as around the same size as Bobby Wagner, Ray Lewis, and Patrick Willis. I think that his size is ok.

@oldnotdead you says he's undersized, but as shovelpass points out, he's the same size as some people damn good linebackers. The point isn't that he's as fast or as skilled or as football smart. The point is that he's not undersized.

He's the same height and one pound lighter than Wagner.

He's one inch shorter and 4 pounds heavier than Willis and Lewis.

3 inches shorter and 6 pounds heavier than Keuchly.

2 inches shorter and 10 pounds heavier than Darius Leonard.

Please justify your statement that he's undersized with facts.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kiser is always going to be athletically limited as a 2 down backer in today's NFL. I would be very surprised if he trends as well as Littleton did. It's more than speed, it's instincts and agility as well, and he's just limited in that respect IMO.

But who knows maybe he'll surprise and develop some pass game value. I like the dude and am pulling for him of course.

Oh and Allen is intriguing. Only prob with him is he's the only guy in the draft who's not a squeaky-clean and football-first type personality. Sure would be nice to see him turn up though.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
4.68 at Kiser's size isn't anything to sneeze at IMO. Ogletree ran a 4.62, so he's not Brady Poppinga. It's all gonna come down to his instincts and play recognition skills to be in the right spot. I'm quietly confident in what Kiser is going to bring in his role.

oldnotdead

Legend
Kiser is considered undersized by normal NFL standards. He didn't play last year because he needed to bulk up and strengthen which he did. He's gained 6 lbs of hopefully muscle on his frame. At 6' he's going to need his long arms because he's going to be mis-matched trying to shed the block of a 6'4" 300 lb OG or center with longer arms. He's going to have to stay clean to consistently make tackles. Playing in a one gap scheme that's going to be difficult for him to do. He's going to have to rely on quickness and his technique to offset his physical mis-match. Overall length (height + arm length) is a factor in tackling at this level.

Normally teams want their LB's at least 6'2" 240-250 lbs. Smaller LB's are becoming more prevalent in the NFL but they are fast and used in coverage. Bobby Wagner is about 6' 245 lbs, but the difference is his speed. He ran a 4.46 pre draft. He was primarily a coverage LB early in his career. Kiser has decent speed but not that kind of speed. Littleton is 6'3" and has average speed, but has long 33.5" arms giving him excellent length for his position. His arm length allows him to playoff blocks.

I'm not saying he can't succeed but I am saying he needs to be fundamentally sound in his technique to do so. His limited athleticism probably will be a factor in if he is more than a 2 down player. Part of his problem is he doesn't play to his timed speed. That IMO is his biggest hurdle to success, because of the speed of the NFL he needs to do so.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Kiser is considered undersized by normal NFL standards. He didn't play last year because he needed to bulk up and strengthen which he did. He's gained 6 lbs of hopefully muscle on his frame. At 6' he's going to need his long arms because he's going to be mis-matched trying to shed the block of a 6'4" 300 lb OG or center with longer arms. He's going to have to stay clean to consistently make tackles. Playing in a one gap scheme that's going to be difficult for him to do. He's going to have to rely on quickness and his technique to offset his physical mis-match. Overall length (height + arm length) is a factor in tackling at this level.

Normally teams want their LB's at least 6'2" 240-250 lbs. Smaller LB's are becoming more prevalent in the NFL but they are fast and used in coverage. Bobby Wagner is about 6' 245 lbs, but the difference is his speed. He ran a 4.46 pre draft. He was primarily a coverage LB early in his career. Kiser has decent speed but not that kind of speed. Littleton is 6'3" and has average speed, but has long 33.5" arms giving him excellent length for his position. His arm length allows him to playoff blocks.

I'm not saying he can't succeed but I am saying he needs to be fundamentally sound in his technique to do so. His limited athleticism probably will be a factor in if he is more than a 2 down player. Part of his problem is he doesn't play to his timed speed. That IMO is his biggest hurdle to success, because of the speed of the NFL he needs to do so.
I wouldn't exactly call that facts. That was more like unverified generalities and handwave-ium

oldnotdead

Legend
Go ahead and do your own research. Physical traits are important in the NFL. It's often what separates the 1st rounders from the others. Understanding the concepts used in the NFL is needed to put things into context.

John Kelly was very good in college. But his play to date hasn't translated. His lack of speed was readily apparent last year. I used physical traits to illustrate issues with Blythe and I offered examples of how it affects his play. Again I offer the NO playoff game. Watch each play and just iso on Blythe. You will see 3 maybe 4 times he blew his block and how it affected the play. That isn't unverified generalities.

Kiser was taken knowing he was going to be a work in progress. That's why they gave him a whole year to develop. He hit the weights and he's bulked up and strengthened. Hopefully they also worked on his quickness, which is also something that can be improved. The top players will go to specific trainers or training sites to work on things. Drew Brees came out of college with evaluators saying he lacked arm strength. It showed in his early years. Then in his final off season with the Chargers he went to work with a trainer and performance facility in Carlsbad, CA. He improved his arm, and his ability to read defenses....he went from bust to a lock to be a first ballot HOF QB.

I'm not saying that's going to happen with Kiser, but saying just making it to the NFL isn't enough to stay. His work ethic will ultimately determine that.

oldnotdead

Legend
Corey Littleton is 6'3" with 33.5" arms.
Mark Barron is 6'2" with 33.5" arms and ran a 4.59 in the 40
Kiser is 6' with 32" arms and runs a 4.66

Both Littleton and Barron were far more polished than Kiser coming into the NFL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not going to sweat an inch and a half in arm length for a two-down run stopper.

6/244 is a thick stout dude.
The man's head is not as thick as his neck.

I think he has prototype size for your main run-stopper.

All this fighting off blocks from the offensive lineman is slightly overrated too, in my honest opinion
That's why we have Aaron Donald, Brockers and a nose tackle to tie those guys up.

I think the reason Kiser amasses all those tackles in college has more to do with his instincts/reaction ability that allows him to not get tied up by offensive lineman rather than any hand fighting abilities he may need.

I'm big on Kiser, seeing it as not being a problem, unless it actually becomes a problem.