Rams Defeat Cards MEDIA FALLOUT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When they drafted him and signed Kingsberry I said it was a mistake. He is the smallest QB in the league ever and Kingsberry's record was a losing one. Other than working for McVay he had nothing going for him.
I get your point but I don't think Murray is the smallest NFL QB ever.

Also don't think Kingsbury ever worked for or coached with McVay.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I get your point but I don't think Murray is the smallest NFL QB ever.

Also don't think Kingsbury ever worked for or coached with McVay.
Okay, they keep bringing McVay and his relationship as why he was hired by Cards. Do you know what that relationship is. Just friends?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay, they keep bringing McVay and his relationship as why he was hired by Cards. Do you know what that relationship is. Just friends?
Kingsbury never worked for McVay, however, McVay and Kingsbury were close and McVay was interested in adding Kingsbury to his staff in 2019 after he was fired by Texas Tech. Then enter Cardinals GM Steve Keim, who liked McVay and had him on his radar to replace Arians, but the Rams beat him to it one year earlier. So Keim, hired what he felt was McVay 2.0 in Kingsbury.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Has he begun to change? He still loves his soft zone which allowed the Niners to go down and tie up the game in less than 40 seconds. But the replay of the pick 6 against Murray shows how he changed in playing the Cards in both the wins. His secondary was covering Kyler's first two short reads which allowed Reeder time to get to him. Morris was in man coverage on that play which in itself is a change from earlier in the season.
So what you're saying is, "he shouldn't have played that soft zone vs SF because a pressure concept, covering the shorter routes would have worked better"? I have never been a fan of a prevent defense when the team only needs a FG to tie, but SF needed 7. IMHO, Ramsey didn't play his responsibility on the 2nd and 5, 43 yard pass play to Deebo. He came towards the LOS and Kittle who was covered by Rapp for a 1 - 2 yard gain and then tried to recover on Deebo, with a diving attempt to tip the ball. Had he played a deeper concept (a replay of the play clearly shows he had no other place to be), even if Deebo somehow caught the ball, Ramsey would be there to stop it for a 15 yard gain instead of 43. THAT is the play that blew it for us. SF on the 50 with 43 seconds left is a lot better than being on our 19 with 38 seconds remaining. And Floyd probably isn't offsides on the spike!!! which put them on our 14. JMHO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Believe McVay spoke well of Kingsbury before he was hired by AZ.

Also believe there was some thought and/or consideration to adding him to the Rams' Staff but I don't believe this was ever confirmed ... just speculated.

Kingsbury was let go by Texas Tech late in 2018. That was the Rams' Super Bowl season, and they were about to lose Zach Taylor to the Bengals after having allowed Matt Lafleur to go to Tennessee and losin Greg Olson to the Raiders the prior off-season. Young coach ... creative offensive mind ... seemed like a fit for McVay. However, Kingsbury got the Cardinals HC-job when they fired Steve Wilks after just one season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And some people, or maybe just one person, wonders why most people were frustrated with Morris throughout the season.
Frustrated with Morris because of injuries to the few CB we have other than Ramsey? Personally that stat shows we should be frustrated with McVay and Snead for not building the CB position up better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All due respect but he hasn't been playing Staley's scheme. Staley would give the QB one look then shift into another at the snap. Staley played a zone with man concepts. Neither of those things are what Morris played for the bulk of the season. He played a very soft passive zone. He would switch up and play man but it was clear before the snap he was in man coverage, he didn't play zone with man concepts. Staley played aggressively, defending all passing levels. Morris routinely left the short zone uncontested. That is why Kyler had a field day in their first win. Simply plotting Kyler's passes shows how the vast majority of his passes were within 10 yds. Morris ignored that in the first game or he didn't do his homework.

Morris played the same soft zone he used with the Falcons and which probably led to his being switched to being a WR coach. It's only towards the end of the season that he has begun to play his secondary aggressively. His scheme dropped this #1 ranked defense to around the 16th ranked unit, being ranked in the top 5 in some of the negative pass defense rankings in the process.

Has he begun to change? He still loves his soft zone which allowed the Niners to go down and tie up the game in less than 40 seconds. But the replay of the pick 6 against Murray shows how he changed in playing the Cards in both the wins. His secondary was covering Kyler's first two short reads which allowed Reeder time to get to him. Morris was in man coverage on that play which in itself is a change from earlier in the season.
He has absolutely been adapting his scheme to what McVay wanted from him in moving towards themes Staley ran. If you listened to even a single McVay presser this year about Morris you'd know this fact.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wouldn't be surprised if someone hired McVay's gardener. The press release would say "He worked for Sean McVay".

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I've been saying that the best thing that could happen for the Rams is if the 49ers part ways with Shanahan, and the Cardinals keep Kingsbury.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
NFL shortest QBs of all time:

Eddie LeBaron, 5'7" (1952-63, Redskins, Cowboys)
Doug Flutie, 5'10" (1986-99, Bears, Bills)
Kyler Murray, 5'10" (2019-21, Cardinals)
Russell Wilson, 5'11" (2012-21, Seahawks)
Sonny Jurgenson, 5'11" (1957-74, Eagles, Redskins)
Pat Haden, 5'11" (1976-82, Rams)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, that's what the advertisement on Wish.com said, so can you fault the guy?
No, but I wondered about the hire at the time because he didn't win with Patrick Mahomes at QB at his alma mater, so how would Kingsbury do in the NFL? IMO, he's had mixed results, but I like that McVay has his number as Kyle Shanahan seems to have McVay's.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Brady:
"Retire? Don't talk about—Retirement?! You kidding me? Retirement?! I haven't even played for the 49ers yet. Retire? Yeah, right...never!
Brady won’t ever play for the Niners. Division is too tough for him. That’s why he went to the Bucs instead. Knew Brees was retiring, Carolina had no QB and Atlanta is crap. He did his homework before he picked where he was going to play and made sure he would be in another shit division.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
NFL shortest QBs of all time:

Eddie LeBaron, 5'7" (1952-63, Redskins, Cowboys)
Doug Flutie, 5'10" (1986-99, Bears, Bills)
Kyler Murray, 5'10" (2019-21, Cardinals)
Russell Wilson, 5'11" (2012-21, Seahawks)
Pat Haden, 5'11" (1976-82, Rams)
Thanks for the info. 5'7" is shorter, but I think I heard during the draft that Murray was shorter than 5'10".

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strongest liver of any QB of the last 65 years:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Brady won’t ever play for the Niners. Division is too tough for him. That’s why he went to the Bucs instead. Knew Brees was retiring, Carolina had no QB and Atlanta is crap. He did his homework before he picked where he was going to play and made sure he would be in another shit division.
LOL. Yeah, he wanted to be in the same situation he was in New England. Prolly would have considered the NFC East, if not for Prescott!! :shock: