Rams cuts on the way to 53

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Come on Legatron surly your just ticked off ( which I understand) or you're just kidding me here:confused:.

Dakota Allen did play better than Kiser, Hager & Reeder in the preseason, I agree with you. I would agree with you that Dakota Allen is a far better weak-side interior LB'er than Kiser, Hager, Reeder & Kupp.

Yes DA is listed as a Ram LB just like Kiser, Hager, Reeder & Kupp were but there is a very big difference between the LB post DA played & the LB'ing post Kiser, Hager, Reeder & Kupp played. You know the Rams have two totally different interior LB'ing posts in their base defense.

Kiser, Hager, Reeder & Kupp all wore the special green stickered communications helmet that is connected to Wade who calls the defense. Dakota Allen never wore that helmet or played with those responsibilities.

As I said earlier veteran LB'er Clay Matthews played the same interior LB post for the Packers last season that Dakota Allen was playing. Plus rookie LB'er Natrez Patrick originally was listed as a reserve in that previous weak-side ILB'ing Mark Barron post too. I hope I have helped with this matter. Maybe someone else can do a better job at it than me?
If the decision to keep Reeder over Allen is because Reeder can call plays, that’s not a good decision. In fact, I saw more from Kupp. Special teams also isn’t a good excuse to keep a guy. Unless they’ve shown to be all stars in that area. So keeping Natson over Hodge because Natson is OK at returning punts is also not a good decision. He offers nothing as a receiver. Hodge is also very good at covering punts.

I am pissed off. Because I believe these decisions will hurt our team. We haven’t exactly been great at recognizing talent at ILB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Problem is there’s zero justification for keeping Hager, or Howard over Allen. They have proven jackshit. I’m not sure what else Allen was supposed to do to make this team.
freaking Bryce Hager over Dakota Allen. God dammit.
That’s the worst way to run a team. You take the best of the best and assemble them. Troy Reeder and Bryce Hager are not better then Dakota Allen.
Y'know I love yuh Legs. But don't you think you're getting a little high on your opinions and what you've seen vs the coaching staff? We have a pretty decent group - no?

When you say things like "zero justification", it kinda tickles me. These coaches know the plays called, the personnel groupings each man faced, how the player performed his assignment, if another player did something to cause a result, what groupings they want to put on the field and what they want to see out of them, they've watched tons of film on the players, etc. etc. etc.

I think I'll take their way of running the team over that of a fan and over pretty much every other regime in the league.

I'm pretty sure they had some justification for what they did and it probably has something to do with what they saw or know. Just a guess.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the decision to keep Reeder over Allen is because Reeder can call plays, that’s not a good decision. In fact, I saw more from Kupp. Special teams also isn’t a good excuse to keep a guy. Unless they’ve shown to be all stars in that area. So keeping Natson over Hodge because Natson is OK at returning punts is also not a good decision. He offers nothing as a receiver. Hodge is also very good at covering punts.

I am ticked off. Because I believe these decisions will hurt our team. We haven’t exactly been great at recognizing talent at ILB.
I think you are underestimating two things:

1) The importance of special teams to this regime; and
2) The respect Snead and McVay obviously have for Bones' role in the decision-making process.

Natson being kept is the best, but not only, example of the first point for this regime, with Scott being drafted and kept being the best for the second.

So likely, McVay, Phillips and Bones all put their heads together with Snead and say, "I absolutely want these guys, I like these guys and I can live with losing these guys."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Y'know I love yuh Legs. But don't you think you're getting a little high on your opinions and what you've seen vs the coaching staff? We have a pretty decent group - no?

When you say things like "zero justification", it kinda tickles me. These coaches know the plays called, the personnel groupings each man faced, how the player performed his assignment, if another player did something to cause a result, what groupings they want to put on the field and what they want to see out of them, they've watched tons of film on the players, etc. etc. etc.

I think I'll take their way of running the team over that of a fan and over pretty much every other regime in the league.

I'm pretty sure they had some justification for what they did and it probably has something to do with what they saw or know. Just a guess.
Understand what you’re saying. I apologize for being a little hot headed today. I just loved what I saw from Allen and didn’t see much in terms of playmaking ability from the other guys. We haven’t had a LB with the ability to shoot the gap like Allen in a long time either.

I get that special teams is important to this team. But players who can fill that role are a dime a dozen. I know we’re all happy with what the Rams have done the past two years. But FOs still make mistakes. I believe this is one of them.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think you are underestimating two things:

1) The importance of special teams to this regime; and
2) The respect Snead and McVay obviously have for Bones' role in the decision-making process.

Natson being kept is the best, but not only, example of the first point for this regime, with Scott being drafted and kept being the best for the second.

So likely, McVay, Phillips and Bones all put their heads together with Snead and say, "I absolutely want these guys, I like these guys and I can live with losing these guys."
I think it looks a lot like that. Special teams may be the red headed step child for prospective development projects, but on this team it is an expected and respected strength.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that special teams is important to this team. But players who can fill that role are a dime a dozen.

Not to Bones who's one of the best at what he does and has total control over his units and the trust of McVay and Snead. Which is probably also why Natson made the team, Bones must love him in returns.
But FOs still make mistakes.

As often as we fans do, maybe even less.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm with @Legatron4 on some of these cuts... Not happy with them. Hodge is a better player than some others on that roster. Same with Allen. Still pi$$ed about both of those cuts.

Don't tell me Snead & the Rams know better either, because I am aware. But teams are not perfect, neither are the Rams, and I think those cuts will prove to be mistakes down the road.

On the good side, I am thankful that Web made the roster. By midseason he'll be our primary returner and they'll realize Gnats has little reason to be on the roster. But whatever. Onwards to Carolina, finally.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But teams are not perfect, neither are the Rams,
But we fans are :D

Don't underestimate Bones' influence on the roster for a second either. Seems a lot of people are around here.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But we fans are :D

Don't underestimate Bones' influence on the roster for a second either. Seems a lot of people are around here.
Never claimed we as fans are perfect nor that I am. Just that I think they were bad cuts. Cheers man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never claimed we as fans are perfect nor that I am. Just that I think they were bad cuts. Cheers man.
Funny but why did you quote the blue font that was clearly a joke as blue font is meant to be. Yet didn't acknowledge what I said. Bones, people around here underestimate his influence on the 53 man roster and as a result claim the Rams are making mistakes. You see a guy make a play on defense but did we watch him on coverage teams or fg/xp block teams?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny but why did you quote the blue font that was clearly a joke as blue font is meant to be. Yet didn't acknowledge what I said. Bones, people around here underestimate his influence on the 53 man roster and as a result claim the Rams are making mistakes. You see a guy make a play on defense but did we watch him on coverage teams or fg/xp block teams?
Yeah Hodge's coverage team play is solid not spectacular. He obviously got beaten out due to teams, but once again I don't like the overall roster result in some cases.

Re: WR roster... Gnats should have been cut. Web is a better WR and returner than him right now. Hodge is a better receiver than him, and a better coverage teams option than Gnats right now. Rams elected to keep 2x returners, that's their prerogative. I think they let the better talent go when they could have cut Gnats and added him later if necessary.

But I don't want to argue back and forth ad nauseum about this. You like the moves good for you. I don't. It's not a huge deal, and I'll get over it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they let the better talent go when they could have cut Gnats and added him later if necessary.

I agree that keeping Natson is a move that I wouldn't have made - he (or someone comparable) would likely have been available, and he's not good enough to justify being just a returner. But if that's the worst mistake they made, I can live with it. Especially since it's slightly possible that I'm wrong.

fearsomefour

Legend
It appears so, for the moment. Surprised by that, didn't he have that ejection and fine or am I mixing him up.
He got ejected but that was a hustle play and wouldn’t affect someone being kept or not.
He read well, filled holes pretty well and tackled well.....between the tackles ILB.
I liked his play and pointed him out. That said, surprised he was kept over Dakota.

fearsomefour

Legend
JFM is who I'm mostly shocked about, I didn't really pay attention to him much in the preseason, was he that bad? I thought that he showed a lot of promise last year, so he must have really fell off over the summer.
He was easily missed which is surprising because he plays a lot in the preseason.
Had zero pass rush.
No moves at all just a bull rush when he was held as bay.

fearsomefour

Legend
So what does that make of Reeder? He was awful.
He was solid in his spot.
Which is ILB.
He filled gaps aggressively and was physical and read pretty well.
I was impressed with him over all. He just isn’t going to cover a lot of top TEs or RBs on passes.