Rams cuts on the way to 53

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good question. There was a play against the Cowboys where was out in flat against a RB, and he got juked because he didn't break down under control. He didn't look good. But, he got a lot of rep's with OLB'S in training camp and sometimes was running with the 2's. I'm with you on that one.
That’s one play.
He reacted well and quickly to the opposing O.
Watching him....he caught my eye week 1....he is decisive. He filled holes well. This is no small thing.
I have a feeling LB is not settled.
Reeder may end up cut may end up on the practice squad or he may stick.
I get why he was kept.
But I expected Dakota to be kept too for the reasons every one had stayed.
I expect Dakota to be on the practice squad if someone else doesn’t sign him.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Any word on if that Donald fella made the team? He strikes me as a keeper and I sure hope they didn’t cut him.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the decision to keep Reeder over Allen is because Reeder can call plays, that’s not a good decision. In fact, I saw more from Kupp. Special teams also isn’t a good excuse to keep a guy. Unless they’ve shown to be all stars in that area. So keeping Natson over Hodge because Natson is OK at returning punts is also not a good decision. He offers nothing as a receiver. Hodge is also very good at covering punts.

I am ticked off. Because I believe these decisions will hurt our team. We haven’t exactly been great at recognizing talent at ILB.
Very doubtful Reeder who be calling plays come regular season and surely wouldn’t be making adjustments.
It’s the last WR spot.
I had Natson on my 53 I posted before the Houston game because he offers something the other guys didn’t.
The other guys competing for that last WR spot aren’t as good at returning and are not (assumingely) as good as the WR above them. Natson offers something else.
I waffled on my 53 between Reeder and Allen. I ended up on Allen because of athleticism. I like Reeder and think he played well inside. Keeping him makes sense....keeping Dakota would have made sense as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This does sort of remind me of the Martz years though.
C'mon man, how can tht be true? Martz took over a cadillac after Super Bowl 34 and put a half a million miles on it and left it on blocks...McVay took Fisher's Pinto and somehow transformed it into a Porsche!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, this has become a second Vent thread. Maybe merge, CGI?
J0ZkZzr.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon man, how can tht be true? Martz took over a cadillac after Super Bowl 34 and put a half a million miles on it and left it on blocks...McVay took Fisher's Pinto and somehow transformed it into a Porsche!
Yeah it's a day for silly comments.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Something that McVay said in his presser today has helped me to understand and accept some of these player cut decisions. Maybe it will help others, too.

I’m paraphrasing here, but he essentially said this. The final 53 constitutes the best compromise of players that make for the best TEAM, including an eye for most flexible 46 on gameday and ST units. NOT necessarily the best 53 football players. A very important distinction.

We need to trust Snead and these coaches as we see how all this plays out.

Hope this helps other minds to wrap themselves around some of these cut decisions.

fearsomefour

Legend
Something that McVay said in his presser today has helped me to understand and accept some of these player cut decisions. Maybe it will help others, too.

I’m paraphrasing here, but he essentially said this. The final 53 constitutes the best compromise of players that make for the best TEAM, including an eye for most flexible 46 on gameday and ST units. NOT necessarily the best 53 football players. A very important distinction.

We need to trust Snead and these coaches as we see how all this plays out.

Hope this helps other minds to wrap themselves around some of these cut decisions.
True.
If it was just best players we would have like 8 WRs, 9 CBS and 1 QB.

dang

Legend
Kolone, Kelly, Parker, Wolford, Deayon, Brewer, JFM, Allen, Hodge and Hyrenkiewicz (or a TE) to the PS?
My picks: Kolone, Kelly, TE, Wolford, Copeland or Roberts, Brewer, JFM, Allen, Hodge and Hyrenkiewicz to the PS. I also think they will try to pick up a cut ILB and have to release Lawler.

TexasRam

Legend
There is an old saying in football.

"Pick special teams over the best 53 and you will soon be jobless and on the street."

Ok, its not really a saying yet.

Actually, I just made it up, and used Italics.

But it has a solid chance of being an old saying. Sometime in the future. In the NFL. Like In the future..Maybe. :unsure::whistle::oops:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think you are underestimating two things:

1) The importance of special teams to this regime; and
2) The respect Snead and McVay obviously have for Bones' role in the decision-making process.

Natson being kept is the best, but not only, example of the first point for this regime, with Scott being drafted and kept being the best for the second.

So likely, McVay, Phillips and Bones all put their heads together with Snead and say, "I absolutely want these guys, I like these guys and I can live with losing these guys."

As they discussed in the press conference, it's about who the 46 will be on game day. A deep reserve won't even dress unless they excel on STs. And that does not always mean they cover and make splash plays. Could be you play on the line and have been reliable blocking for FGs or the punter or you are good blocker on the return unit etc..

I imagine with Reeder he can perform those important duties due to his size and athletic ability. He has a little of both.

I also thought he played well in preseason in the base as the Mike LB.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
As they discussed in the press conference, it's about who the 46 will be on game day. A deep reserve won't even dress unless they excel on STs. And that does not always mean they cover and make splash plays. Could be you play on the line and have been reliable blocking for FGs or the punter or you are good blocker on the return unit etc..

I imagine with Reeder he can perform those important duties due to his size and athletic ability. He has a little of both.

I also thought he played well in preseason in the base as the Mike LB.
Reeder reminds me of a bigger Tyler Matakevich (Steelers)