Rams cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't know if anyone touched on this, but with Marquez making the team, is this a no go for Givens? Or is he the new Chase Reynolds special team spot?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Depressing day. The only way the C situation could have worked out worse is if Fisher announced he's signed Scott Wells. Which I don't even put past him at this point.

People keep citing the myth of Justice Cunningham's blocking but it's simply not true on the field. Maybe both him and Bayer get cut, but if it was keeping J.Cunningham over Bayer -- who showed just as decent blocking and way better receiving -- it's, well, depressing.

Oh well, next week it's forgotten and I'll come back rooting for the Rams in game 1.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Depressing day. The only way the C situation could have worked out worse is if Fisher announced he's signed Scott Wells. Which I don't even put past him at this point.

People keep citing the myth of Justice Cunningham's blocking but it's simply not true on the field. Maybe both him and Bayer get cut, but if it was keeping J.Cunningham over Bayer -- who showed just as decent blocking and way better receiving -- it's, well, depressing.

Oh well, next week it's forgotten and I'll come back rooting for the Rams in game 1.
Both of those guys sucked I hope both get cut.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great? :huh:

Did not give up a sack unless I missed it and held up very solid, great in the sense of against the 2nd and third team...I guess "solid" would've been the better word.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Did not give up a sack unless I missed it and held up very solid, great in the sense of against the 2nd and third team...I guess "solid" would've been the better word.
I didn't see him give one up, but may have missed one early, but he did end up as being #2 on the OLT depth chart, if anyone was paying attention. He was clearly our 2nd best OLT, IMO. He has the body and quickness to be able to play G too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If we keep 11 OL, 3 QB, and I'm assuming a larger than norm group of safeties what quality players at other positions might we lose? Seems like there's going to have to be some more surprises besides Dunbar and Jones.
Jones isn't really a surprise...If we look at performance...What has he really done? The same with Jo Lonn...His play has really fallen off since the stoppage of PED's....I joke and prod about guys like Chase Reynolds...Cody Davis...just personal peeves of mine, but their play really hasn't tapered...In fact, they're probably getting better in their roles...I'll wait to see who these last few names are...but I think they'll be like Dunbar & Jones, guys that have reached their ceilings, and possibly starting to decline.....

You really want to understand how they made the decision..... Don't focus on the individual. Focus on the unit and how it performs as an entity.
When you put it this way, there were times during that scrimmage, when it was so much chaos with bodies, no semblance of a uniform line...esp. with Rhaney & Barnes at center..it was really hard to follow...So, I can totally get what you're saying...damn a one on one drill, almost damn getting blown back or beat. Make sure you have those other 4 bodies doing whats best for the success of the play...I get that...
But if Rhaney ends up starting, I take it all back...LOL

Good seeing you in here today coach0...I hope after the release of the official 53, you'd stop by to give your take on some of the players, the cuts, and the PS players...just a lil insight/inside info....Enjoy the holiday.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ummmmm I was replying to somebody saying we should be waiting for somebody to be released to come in and start over Barnes. I'm not advocating it happening I'm driving the Rhaney hype train.
Rhaney isn't close to being ready to play. Neither from a physical standpoint but more importantly from the mental aspect.

He seems to have caught everyone's attention with his continued use of the "cut block". The biggest reason to use that "technique" is because he isn't physically strong enough to get the job done otherwise. What some call athleticism, I call a lack of strength.

He continually gets shoved back into the backfield. While it may not end up with his man making the tackle, it more than likely disrupts the play. Forced the RB to change direction or makes the QB bale on the pocket prematurely.

At this point if D. Rhaney sees the field this offense will be worse for it. He will be at best the 5th Guard. And let's hope he isn't forced into any prolonged aging time at Center.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Anyone know the best website for current roster update?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rhaney isn't close to being ready to play. Neither from a physical standpoint but more importantly from the mental aspect.

He seems to have caught everyone's attention with his continued use of the "cut block". The biggest reason to use that "technique" is because he isn't physically strong enough to get the job done otherwise. What some call athleticism, I call a lack of strength.

He continually gets pushed shoved back into the backfield. While it may not end up with his man making the tackle, it more than likely disrupts the play. Forced the RB to change direction or makes the QB bale on the pocket prematurely.

At this point if D. Rhaney sees the field this offense will be worse for it. He will be at best the 5th Guard. And let's hope he isn't forced into any prolonged aging time at Center.
Cut block is what you do on backside blocks, you know that. He's not ready to be our C, totally agree with that, he had a lot of good moments at G, if you watched the preseason games, particularly the last two.

It's just not right to assume, what caught Everyone's attention.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He continually gets shoved back into the backfield. While it may not end up with his man making the tackle, it more than likely disrupts the play. Forced the RB to change direction or makes the QB bale on the pocket prematurely.

Respect you for your knowledge and opinion but I disagree, I did not see Rhaney beaten as you're describing any more than the other options. I'm just ready for the Seahawks and to see how things turn out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And what would make you believe that anyone out there would come in and supplant a guy who had been here for 4 years?

A starting Center just doesn't walk in and learn the system (terminology:line calls;play book, etc) without greatly limiting the offense.

I honestly don't understand what a lot of you are expecting from the position. The most important job of a center is to have the ability to get everyone on the same page. He is universally considered "half a blocker" compared to everyone else on the unit.

You really want to understand how they made the decision..... Don't focus on the individual. Focus on the unit and how it performs as an entity. Go back and look at the results when Barnes played compared to the other two. It's not even close. And wasn't throughout training camp.

This is on me @CoachO @OldSchool was responded to my post I just found it interesting that Fisher stated he would not name the starter at Center until Wednesday? For if it's Barnes why not just make the announcement now.

I'm sure it's just Fisher being coy, but I was just speculating and shocked Fisher just would not come out and say we made our decision and it's Tim Barnes because he did it the old fashion way, he earned it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What? Barrett Jones was cut?

313259498.jpg

nooooooo_elf.gif

Nooooooo571.jpg

belka_18784934_orig_.jpg

196syyrr7el6cjpg.jpg

hungover-spiderman-meme-generator-oh-no-nooooooo-85eea0.jpg

I am disappoint.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And what would make you believe that anyone out there would come in and supplant a guy who had been here for 4 years?

A starting Center just doesn't walk in and learn the system (terminology:line calls;play book, etc) without greatly limiting the offense.

I honestly don't understand what a lot of you are expecting from the position. The most important job of a center is to have the ability to get everyone on the same page. He is universally considered "half a blocker" compared to everyone else on the unit.

You really want to understand how they made the decision..... Don't focus on the individual. Focus on the unit and how it performs as an entity. Go back and look at the results when Barnes played compared to the other two. It's not even close. And wasn't throughout training camp.

Major kudos to you CoachO.

You called it correctly on Barnes, quite early, loudly, and firmly!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not surprised about Dunbar. And I guess with Barrett Jones cut, there's only two centers now. At least he can still be on the practice squad.

Praying that Westbrooks and LTP make the roster.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This just shows how far down the shitter our center position is.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This just shows how far down the shitter our center position is.
Because a 3 year veteran 4th round pick who never started a game was cut? We all knew coming into camp even with 2 projected rookies starting that Center was likely to be the weak link on the line.