Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
As the team’s lead negotiator, Pastoors works alongside Demoff in salary cap management, contract negotiations, compliance with the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement and the team’s financial and strategic planning.

Now we know who to blame for the Tavon Austin contract.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The Search: Peter Schrager Skypes In

FOX Sports Senior NFL Writer Peter Schrager Skypes in with Rams reporter Dani Klupenger to update on the latest news that he's hearing on the Rams head coaching search.

[www.therams.com]

@TheDYVKX will like this.

My man. Sean McVay just keeps getting more and more attractive to me as a candidate. Might be my favorite of all of them at this point.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My man. Sean McVay just keeps getting more and more attractive to me as a candidate. Might be my favorite of all of them at this point.

I still prefer Kyle Shanahan, but McVay is trending.

Zero

Pro Bowler
While I still favor Shanahan,I totally get your enthusiasm for McVay.
Not a lot to dislike about the guy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The cool thing is, we can immediately sign him to a fully guaranteed, 45 year contract.;)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I still prefer Kyle Shanahan, but McVay is trending.

Yeah. I'm just hoping Shanahan doesn't turn into McDaniels 2.0. Seems like he's caused some problems in the places he's been. Then again, some players have followed him like Gabriel and Mack, so I can't say if the rumors are true or not. That's my one concern with him though.

I think if we can get either, we'll be in good shape.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah. I'm just hoping Shanahan doesn't turn into McDaniels 2.0. Seems like he's caused some problems in the places he's been. Then again, some players have followed him like Gabriel and Mack, so I can't say if the rumors are true or not. That's my one concern with him though.

And this from Jesse Tuggle talking about K Shanahan.

"Bulldog, intense. a teacher on the practice field and is tough & meticulous on execution. makes them run the plays over and over until executed the way it was drawn up. involved in all parts of the offense, very hands on, line blocking schemes, inside outside leverage technigues. Done a tremendous job working with backs on reading blocks and where the cutback lanes will be. Involved in every aspect of the multiples of the offense and really hard on Matty.on his footwork and keeping a strong base. Historically Matty would have late seaosn collapses, he presses and loses the tenets of the offense. Kyle has stayed on him about staying with teh teachings of the position.. Demands the receivers run crisp routes and being where they suppose to be funny you ask about him now. Gab on the 64yd, practiced that play multiple times against 2 high. Saw a tendency with mike bite heavy on play action. Would hate to see him go, but if you get him you got a good one."

Shanahan is still my number one guy I think if you add in his father being part of the organization, you avoid a McDaniels 2.0, plus McDaniels did not come close to the experience of Shanahan back then.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
And this from Jesse Tuggle talking about K Shanahan.

"Bulldog, intense. a teacher on the practice field and is tough & meticulous on execution. makes them run the plays over and over until executed the way it was drawn up. involved in all parts of the offense, very hands on, line blocking schemes, inside outside leverage technigues. Done a tremendous job working with backs on reading blocks and where the cutback lanes will be. Involved in every aspect of the multiples of the offense and really hard on Matty.on his footwork and keeping a strong base. Historically Matty would have late seaosn collapses, he presses and loses the tenets of the offense. Kyle has stayed on him about staying with teh teachings of the position.. Demands the receivers run crisp routes and being where they suppose to be funny you ask about him now. Gab on the 64yd, practiced that play multiple times against 2 high. Saw a tendency with mike bite heavy on play action. Would hate to see him go, but if you get him you got a good one."

Shanahan is still my number one guy I think if you add in his father being part of the organization, you avoid a McDaniels 2.0, plus McDaniels did not come close to the experience of Shanahan back then.

That's the kind of thing I like to hear. Not sure we even have a chance at Shanahan but I'd be really happy if we got him. Quotes like that definitely lessen my concerns.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
The more I think about it the more I think McVay is the guy and I would be really happy with that hire. Demoff is the guy heading up this search and outside of Jeff Fisher the coach he has the most experience with is John Gruden. Some have called McVay the next Jon Gruden. McVay has coached under both Gruden Brothers and McVay's year with Jon Gruden overlapped with Demoff's time in Tampa. Outside of the Gruden's McVay also coached under the Shanahan's spearheading the development of one of the NFL's best TEs in Jordan Reed. Like Demoff who was an exec in the Arena Football League for the Los Angeles Avengers McVay coached at a lower level of professional football in the UFL. In his short career McVay has been a position coach for WRs, TEs, had the pleasure to work with one of the games best OL coaches in Bill Callahan, and as an OC has extensive interaction with QBs. Demoff said setting up the order of the interviews was important McVay was the second guy in after Steve Wilks ( more on that later) who also fulfills the Rooney rule. With McVay being so young it would be a bold hire, but thats what the Rams need.

Steve Wilks the rams first interview is interviewing for the Skins Defensive coordinator job as well. Maybe the Rams are getting a jump on impressing McVay's or Shanahan's future Defensive Coordinator because Wilks will be a hot commodity as this years version of Vance Joseph. Wilks did a really good job developing two rookie corners after loosing Josh Norman who he developed into an All Pro. Rams could look to pair their young offensive mind with a rising defensive coach like the Dolphins did with Gase and Joseph on their way to the playoffs.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Merlin.Any Idea when the end of round 1 interviews will be?

I believe the decision will be made by COB Sunday.

If it's McVay we will see them bring him in again or sign him outright to a contract by throwing money at him to keep him from interviewing in SF (his interview there is Monday and if he goes to it SF will hire him IMO).

If it's Shanahan or McDaniels we will see the front office start the hiring of the coaches they want that aren't currently in the playoffs beginning Monday.

IMO the Rams are not going to wait around. Monday is the 9th, they want their guy identified or they're gonna be on the backside of the hiring of the positional guys. Hoping it's McVay, and that we hear something bubbling by tomorrow about it.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Steve Wilks the rams first interview is interviewing for the Skins Defensive coordinator job as well. Maybe the Rams are getting a jump on impressing McVay's or Shanahan's future Defensive Coordinator because Wilks will be a hot commodity as this years version of Vance Joseph. Wilks did a really good job developing two rookie corners after loosing Josh Norman who he developed into an All Pro. Rams could look to pair their young offensive mind with a rising defensive coach like the Dolphins did with Gase and Joseph on their way to the playoffs.

I like this line of thought SYG.

I do think if it's Shanahan we will get Wade Phillips with him. But barring him being the guy, then yeah think you could be onto something there. Not sure what McDaniels is all about with the defense; is he stuck on a 3-4? Who are his guys on that side of the ball? Probably going to determine whether he's a top option for them.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The more I think about it the more I think McVay is the guy and I would be really happy with that hire. Demoff is the guy heading up this search and outside of Jeff Fisher the coach he has the most experience with is John Gruden. Some have called McVay the next Jon Gruden. McVay has coached under both Gruden Brothers and McVay's year with Jon Gruden overlapped with Demoff's time in Tampa. Outside of the Gruden's McVay also coached under the Shanahan's spearheading the development of one of the NFL's best TEs in Jordan Reed. Like Demoff who was an exec in the Arena Football League for the Los Angeles Avengers McVay coached at a lower level of professional football in the UFL. In his short career McVay has been a position coach for WRs, TEs, had the pleasure to work with one of the games best OL coaches in Bill Callahan, and as an OC has extensive interaction with QBs. Demoff said setting up the order of the interviews was important McVay was the second guy in after Steve Wilks ( more on that later) who also fulfills the Rooney rule. With McVay being so young it would be a bold hire, but thats what the Rams need.

Interesting theory. I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. While Wilks might not be ready to be a HC, he sounds like he'd be a great DC and would do great work with our DBs. And obviously I like McVay a ton.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you believe that?
Because a 30 year old in no way has the experience to run an NFL team. He has no track record and Washington offense success is more about what Callahan has brought and cousins coming in to his own.
Give me 4-5 more years then maybe.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Because a 30 year old in no way has the experience to run an NFL team. He has no track record and Washington offense success is more about what Callahan has brought and cousins coming in to his own.

....but Callahan works under McVay and from what I understand has a tremendous amount of respect for him. I think age is less important than you. If he is a good leader then it's not relevant how old he is imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
....but Callahan works under McVay and from what I understand has a tremendous amount of respect for him. I think age is less important than you. If he is a good leader then it's not relevant how old he is imo.
Callahan works for Gruden. He is veteran oline coach. Age is extremely important because you can't learn experience.
And nobody has a clue what his leadership is until he actually is in charge of something.
He'd be the youngest coach in the history of the NFL by over a year. I think the disaster Lane Kiffin was the youngest at 32 and as egotistical as he is, he admits he was too young

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Callahan works for Gruden. He is veteran oline coach. Age is extremely important because you can't learn experience.
And nobody has a clue what his leadership is until he actually is in charge of something.
He'd be the youngest coach in the history of the NFL by over a year. I think the disaster Lane Kiffin was the youngest at 32 and as egotistical as he is, he admits he was too young

Gruden is the top of the hierarchy for sure but typically the oline coach is below the coordinator isn't he ? That's always been my understanding. Offensive assistants (Callahan) report to OC and OC reports to HC.
I think there is a lot of info out there if you look from players and coaches that speak to McVays leadership, and it's all glowing praise. How can you say he isn't in charge of anything ? He runs the offense and a damn good one at that.
We'll have to agree to disagree but I hope the rams hire the next coach on merit over age.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

McVay has been in the NFL specifically for 8 years. 3 years as a coordinator and 5 as an assistant coach. Adam Gase had 3 years as a coordinator and 7 as an assistant coach. Not a huge difference. The experience thing is overblown. McVay has a ton of experience for someone his age.

I don't think you're giving McVay as much credit as he deserves for the uptick in the offense and his work with Kirk Cousins. He has a lot of say. Callahan runs a lot of the protections and run game, but he reports to McVay who calls the plays and has made that passing game great. Also, McVay has worked directly with Cousins and as soon as McVay started working with him, Cousins improved tremendously. That's no coincidence. Guys like Cousins and Colt McCoy have spoken at length about his leadership. That's evident, and it just doesn't go away when he takes over the whole team. They've spoken about how he's as detailed a coach they've ever been around. That's a quality that translates exceptionally well to HC.