Rams are expected to hire Kevin Carberry as offensive line coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Sorry, but if McVay delayed firing Kromer for nearly two months in order to line up his replacement-- which I highly doubt, and which makes no sense-- it was the wrong thing to do. If the organization wants to hang coaches out to dry then it will earn and deserve a poor reputation for how it treats them.

But I was responding to speculation which seems extremely unlikely to me. If McVay could hire Carberry now he could have done so in early January. The supposed behavior would also be unworthy of McVay. In the past McVay has given coaches and players timely notice if they're fired or cut so they can compete for other opportunities.

The explanation that instead makes sense is that McVay and Kromer could not agree about the path forward-- that being the subject of intense discussion only AFTER the end of the season-- either with respect to personnel, or scheme, or both.
I guess we just see the supposed/rumored actions/motivations very differently.

Let's say McVay views Kromer as a B+ coach. They talk about how to move forward, what's needed, what the plan is. McVay thinks he's going to get the same B+ performance it of him he's always got and he thinks to himself "I wonder if I can bring in an A+ coach?". He calls up Callahan and asks if he knows anybody. He gets referred to this dude. He calls up this dude. Everything goes super well. He feels like he can at least be another B+ coach with a shot at being an A+ coach, with a bonus that he had new ideas and college insight for the next 2-3 drafts (by which time dude will probably be gone anyway). He talks it over with Kromer and offers a deal like Bonamego got: consult and whatnot but not the head guy for the unit. Kromer decides he'd rather just ride off into the sunset.

That's just one of a few "find a replacement before firing a guy" scenarios that aren't fueled by the dark heart of evil you seem to see in that (a little exaggeration, I know).

Even if he sees Kromer as a C- and says to himself "what if I fire my C- and get suck with a D-? I think I'll find a replacement first because I'm not a dumb ass" that's good organizational planning, not sinister and evil Machiavellian scheming.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I guess we just see the supposed/rumored actions/motivations very differently.

Let's say McVay views Kromer as a B+ coach. They talk about how to move forward, what's needed, what the plan is. McVay thinks he's going to get the same B+ performance it of him he's always got and he thinks to himself "I wonder if I can bring in an A+ coach?". He calls up Callahan and asks if he knows anybody. He gets referred to this dude. He calls up this dude. Everything goes super well. He feels like he can at least be another B+ coach with a shot at being an A+ coach, with a bonus that he had new ideas and college insight for the next 2-3 drafts (by which time dude will probably be gone anyway). He talks it over with Kromer and offers a deal like Bonamego got: consult and whatnot but not the head guy for the unit. Kromer decides he'd rather just ride off into the sunset.

That's just one of a few "find a replacement before firing a guy" scenarios that aren't fueled by the dark heart of evil you seem to see in that (a little exaggeration, I know).

Even if he sees Kromer as a C- and says to himself "what if I fire my C- and get suck with a D-? I think I'll find a replacement first because I'm not a dumb ass" that's good organizational planning, not sinister and evil Machiavellian scheming.

Not ruling out prior disputes or awareness of other coaches etc. But just to be very clear, I think McVay and Kromer hit a wall of disagreement about what to do going forward. Whatever happened before did not lead to dismissing Kromer until that point of disagreement was reached.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
When McVay and Snead came here, they had absolute garbage for an offensive line.
Only Havenstein remains.
They were able to do almost the impossible and put together a top 10 line in their first season.

As a matter of fact, I think every offensive line they've put together has been top 10 or higher with the possible exception of the 2019 O line which was actually pretty good by the end of the year once they ditched Allen.

Pro Football Focus had them at number 3 this year.

And they've done that with almost no draft capital.

A couple of 3rds and a 5th rounder paired with some cast offs like Corbett and Blythe?

Most teams have put a lot more draft capital into their O Line, including multiple firsts and 2nd rounders and get worse results than we have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When McVay and Snead came here, they had absolute garbage for an offensive line.
Only Havenstein remains.
They were able to do almost the impossible and put together a top 10 line in their first season.

As a matter of fact, I think every offensive line they've put together has been top 10 or higher with the possible exception of the 2019 O line which was actually pretty good by the end of the year once they ditched Allen.

Pro Football Focus had them at number 3 this year.

And they've done that with almost no draft capital.

A couple of 3rds and a 5th rounder paired with some cast offs like Corbett and Blythe?

Most teams have put a lot more draft capital into their O Line, including multiple firsts and 2nd rounders and get worse results than we have.
Very good report Soul Surfer!

I personally prefer Rams Org. fully move to a FA #1 Goal Position where almost all their major moves in free agency every season are invested in healthy veteran OL'ers.

Thus leaving the annual draft & other means {UDFA/ WWC's & Practice Squad incursions} signings to concentrate on the other various need positions. But that's a hard road to hold due to the inflated price tags for such FA's. We all know the obvious reason for my preference.:hush:

But with things the way they are....I am fully behind the Snead/McVay teams' operational position of the utilization of 2nd & 3rd-day draft selections on OL'ers with the desire to have them be early groomed & ready to start as best as possible in their 2nd & 3rd seasons. It's been working good enough to win.

Snead's draft value invested in the OL since 2018 has proved to be rated "GOOD" (IMO) for the past results thus far. Just discussing starters here Snead has invested one 3rd & two 5th round selections & a WWC that have resulted in four starting OL'ers the past 2 seasons. That's not bad guys!:cheers2::partyhorn::fistbump::). The 2021 season will retain 3 of those 4 former starters.

The rest of the Snead OL cadre for the 2019/2020 season has a 2019 3rd rd selection & a UDFA as our swing OT's{Evans/Brewer}, a 2019 Practice Squad incursion, a 2018 4th rd'er, a 2020 7th rd'er as our interior backups{ Shelton / Allen/ Anchrum}.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Updated coaching roster.

What a joke Old School.It’s not updated.There is another site posters are using.Yes I appreciate the posting,but this update is a joke.

I think Robinson is the QB coach? He was during the season from what I saw.He made a huge difference IMO.He was right with Wolford as well during his playing time. Cohen was on his way out I believe before signed as the OC for Kansas?Funny Waldron didn’t get the job & is now the Oc of the Hags.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the question with the OL is do you want a line that will crumble when it has to face 3x top defenses in a row in a must-win environment. Playoffs are where all these grown men know they're playing for a big check and every defensive front you face is going 100% even the guys who take plays off during the regular season like Suh for example. So you can finish really nice on an OL ranking based on regular season play but is that unit going to hold up vs top opponents in a playoff environment.

Tooling for the playoffs is what is important IMO. Ensuring you have enough toughness and physicality to avoid being manhandled on both lines. I think we need help at both, but there may not be an opportunity to address both we'll see.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What a joke Old School.It’s not updated.There is another site posters are using.Yes I appreciate the posting,but this update is a joke.

I think Robinson is the QB coach? He was during the season from what I saw.He made a huge difference IMO.He was right with Wolford as well during his playing time. Cohen was on his way out I believe before signed as the OC for Kansas?Funny Waldron didn’t get the job & is now the Oc of the Hags.
Dude that's the official site of the LA Rams. I don't think it's a joke.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dude that's the official site of the LA Rams. I don't think it's a joke.
Yeah - I get it. Kromer ,Pleasant,Waldron,Johnson,Dickerson,Johnson,Cohen are all gone.

The special teams guy & R.Morris are
new to the list.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think the question with the OL is do you want a line that will crumble when it has to face 3x top defenses in a row in a must-win environment. Playoffs are where all these grown men know they're playing for a big check and every defensive front you face is going 100% even the guys who take plays off during the regular season like Suh for example. So you can finish really nice on an OL ranking based on regular season play but is that unit going to hold up vs top opponents in a playoff environment.

Tooling for the playoffs is what is important IMO. Ensuring you have enough toughness and physicality to avoid being manhandled on both lines. I think we need help at both, but there may not be an opportunity to address both we'll see.

What’s your call on Rob Havenstien?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very good report Soul Surfer!

I personally prefer Rams Org. fully move to a FA #1 Goal Position where almost all their major moves in free agency every season are invested in healthy veteran OL'ers.

Thus leaving the annual draft & other means {UDFA/ WWC's & Practice Squad incursions} signings to concentrate on the other various need positions. But that's a hard road to hold due to the inflated price tags for such FA's. We all know the obvious reason for my preference.:hush:

But with things the way they are....I am fully behind the Snead/McVay teams' operational position of the utilization of 2nd & 3rd-day draft selections on OL'ers with the desire to have them be early groomed & ready to start as best as possible in their 2nd & 3rd seasons. It's been working good enough to win.

Snead's draft value invested in the OL since 2018 has proved to be rated "GOOD" (IMO) for the past results thus far. Just discussing starters here Snead has invested one 3rd & two 5th round selections & a WWC that have resulted in four starting OL'ers the past 2 seasons. That's not bad guys!:cheers2::partyhorn::fistbump::). The 2021 season will retain 3 of those 4 former starters.

The rest of the Snead OL cadre for the 2019/2020 season has a 2019 3rd rd selection & a UDFA as our swing OT's{Evans/Brewer}, a 2019 Practice Squad incursion, a 2018 4th rd'er, a 2020 7th rd'er as our interior backups{ Shelton / Allen/ Anchrum}.

as I watched Evans take over for Edwards in the Playoffs I was more impressed of The Rams future upfront.
Call me a homer,but Akers should be more impressive in 2021.Add Stafford while bringing this Offensive line basically in tact is impressive.
I don’t know what the Center position is going to look like in 2021.
The surprise could be Brian Allen.That can’t be worse tha Brian Allen in 2019.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I was re watching Sean McVay's Introduction Press Conference as HC Rams and the coaches he mention and thanked. And low and behold he named Kevin Carberry.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Prefer to keep him but if they think Edwards or someone else upgrades them go for it.
I think Evans is the next guy up at RT.Brewer is the big question Mark.
Havienstien has that big cap number.
Something with the Cap has to be done like Brockers then.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. I don't know if he replaces Kromer entirely, but I do like this hire.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Right with you Merlin. I've said it for all of last season. Watching the Rams Oline and comparing it to other in season opponents Olines is not how to grade the unit. You have to compare them to the best offensive lines in the game, because ultimately it is likely that to get to the Superbowl they will have to be one of the top O lines in football. They didn't look like it compared to the Packers.

I recall an article from last year that pointed out how the Super Bowl teams all had good centers over the last few years. That's the best place to start.