Rams 53 Man Roster 2022 / Official Cut Down Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Isn't that a symptom of a lack of good run defense by the rest of the front 7?

A MLB who makes a lot of tackles 5-7 yards beyond the LOS is still putting himself in position to limit the gain as much as possible.
Defense is very much a team sport and if Laurinaitis was shooting gaps trying to make "impact'" or "notice me" plays on an otherwise undisciplined and talent deficient defense, you'd have far worse rushing and scoring defense and a lot more safeties making tackles 10 -15 yards downfield.

The dude lacked elite athleticism but as long as he could suit up, he gave the Rams all he could and it's just an easy way to lay the blame of systemic defensive deficiencies on the one guy who was there to take the down the ball carrier.
Will Witherspoon, Alec Ogletree, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Dexter Coakley - all of those guys (basically every Rams ILB since London Fletcher) were just as incapable of stopping the run at the LOS, irregardless of their level or athleticism or the scheme.

Laurinaitis was never at all special, but he was a solid pro who represented the Rams well.
I hear all of that. The way I remember it was that he was tentative to shoot gaps. Always played reactively instead of instinctively. Was it the DL that made him play that way? Who knows, but he never seemed to be any type of enforcer in the box to me. Still loved him, but that's how I remember him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I do think that our CB unit has been vastly improved. This was an area I really wanted Snead to attack in the draft, he did not fail me here.

The safety unit situation was another spot that would need to have an infusion of youth. I felt that Rapp & Jordan were below-average starting safeties in the NFL. Add to the fact that Burgess has not developed.

We saw was an old wore out veteran safety did for this Rams defense very late last season just magnified the poor play of Fuller/Rapp. Not sure what the 2 new rookies will add but they like Rookie Russ Yeast even though I was not impressed. We have no idea what we have in injured rookie Quentin Lake.

The DL/ ER& ILB'er units are all improved too. The way things turned out @ the ER unit excites me. I really like this Keir Thomas & feel that Benton Whitley can be developed into an excellent 3rd down pass rusher over time.

The WR/TE units are awesome! I like everything that was accomplished in these two units thus far.

The reserve OL, Back-up QB's :not::yawn:& proven easy break :injury:RB unit concerns me.
Still need an infusion of athleticism on the DL... guys who can be disruptive and rush the passer, instead of try hard guys like Copeland, Williams & Hoecht. Plus Gaines & Robinson are FAs next yr.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Yeah I’d feel better about next year if we extended Gaines or Robinson. Good thing we’re going to repeat as SB champs this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have replaced reserve OT Noteboom & reserve OC Shelton with OT Evans {who was signed in 2019 & entering his 4th season as a Ram} & OC Kolone {who signed with the Rams in 2018 & is entering his 5th season as a Ram} .......in your mind is that improvement or going back into a weaker position?

Snead needs to once again address the interior OL in the draft on the 2nd day of the 2023 draft. That's with full knowledge that rookie OG Logan Bruss will be attempting a comeback from his knee reconstruction surgery.
If Evans is the best backup guard then no I'm not impressed. I'm not impressed with the starting Oline either. There are no stand outs on that unit. Havenstein is the closest thing they have to being very good. Allen is overrated. Shelton is backup material who is starting. Edwards regressed last year, and Noteboom has never been a good run blocker. The offensive line looks like a big weakness and likely will be the downfall of his team. We saw what the Titans defensive line did to it and how McVay had no answers for what the Bengals did against the offensive line. The blue print is out. Its the same one that the Patriots used against them in the Superbowl. The six man fronts that the Bears and Broncos used still can stifle the run game and heavily pressure the QB. I had high hopes that Bruss could step in and give them a strength on the right side. Shelton taking the guard spot could simply mean that Bride was not good enough to beat out a backup.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Evans is the best backup guard then no I'm not impressed. I'm not impressed with the starting Oline either. There are no stand outs on that unit. Havenstein is the closest thing they have to being very good. Allen is overrated. Shelton is backup material who is starting. Edwards regressed last year, and Noteboom has never been a good run blocker. The offensive line looks like a big weakness and likely will be the downfall of his team. We saw what the Titans defensive line did to it and how McVay had no answers for what the Bengals did against the offensive line. The blue print is out. Its the same one that the Patriots used against them in the Superbowl. The six man fronts that the Bears and Broncos used still can stifle the run game and heavily pressure the QB. I had high hopes that Bruss could step in and give them a strength on the right side. Shelton taking the guard spot could simply mean that Bride was not good enough to beat out a backup.
I think Anchrum is the best backup guard, and actually think he looked good in preseason. Stout.

Fair concerns on the line.. I think you’re a little harsh on Allen & Edwards.

I think they’ll have a bad run game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
UFA

OLB'er Chris Garrett looked like a skinny Randy Moss, not an LB'er.
Thanks ! Didn’t know it got voided. Just Rey the contract he signed with Cleveland. 3 year deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet they had the most players claimed on waivers.

I don’t think it’s ever that binary.
Totally agree, you may have just missed my attempt at humor (its easy to do haha)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Anchrum is the best backup guard, and actually think he looked good in preseason. Stout.

Fair concerns on the line.. I think you’re a little harsh on Allen & Edwards.

I think they’ll have a bad run game.
Blocking for the run game is 50% of the job.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Evans is the best backup guard then no I'm not impressed. I'm not impressed with the starting Oline either. There are no stand outs on that unit. Havenstein is the closest thing they have to being very good. Allen is overrated. Shelton is backup material who is starting. Edwards regressed last year, and Noteboom has never been a good run blocker. The offensive line looks like a big weakness and likely will be the downfall of his team. We saw what the Titans defensive line did to it and how McVay had no answers for what the Bengals did against the offensive line.
My concerns are your concerns too. I don't understand keeping Evans and I have posted about that, I don't like when coaches talk about live game experience. Hey, if the guy sucks, he sucks, doesn't matter if he sucked during the regular season too.

My fears with Joe Noteboom lies more with health then run blocking. Boom has been working in Whit's garage on his squats, which should improve his leg drive on the run game. I understand feeling Shelton is a backup because that is all he's been, but Shelton was better at run blocking then Corbett. As long as Shelton can hold up pass blocking I think he'll be as good as Corbett.

Edwards has been up & down, but during post season I thought he played extremely well and this is contract year, which is the same for Rob Havenstein so again because of the lack of depth my concern with this group is health. It happened in 2019, which led to the Rams to make a deal for Austin Corbett. So I have concerns too, but I am just hoping for health plus I still believe the Rams might make a deal for a Guard/Tackle combination to replace Evans.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have No clue about this guy, but the jets are nororious for bad decisions. So being cut by them or not, really doesnt mean anything.
He outplayed a worthless Joe Flacco 7 ways to Sunday and yet the Jets are gonna Jet and keep the lesser player. It would be kind of funny for the Rams to bring in a Cards cast off and make something out of him

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He outplayed a worthless Joe Flacco 7 ways to Sunday
FWIW @dieterbrock I believe you could outplay Joe Flacco at this stage of his career.
1662044682938.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My concerns are your concerns too. I don't understand keeping Evans and I have posted about that, I don't like when coaches talk about live game experience. Hey, if the guy sucks, he sucks, doesn't matter if he sucked during the regular season too.

My fears with Joe Noteboom lies more with health then run blocking. Boom has been working in Whit's garage on his squats, which should improve his leg drive on the run game. I understand feeling Shelton is a backup because that is all he's been, but Shelton was better at run blocking then Corbett. As long as Shelton can hold up pass blocking I think he'll be as good as Corbett.

Edwards has been up & down, but during post season I thought he played extremely well and this is contract year, which is the same for Rob Havenstein so again because of the lack of depth my concern with this group is health. It happened in 2019, which led to the Rams to make a deal for Austin Corbett. So I have concerns too, but I am just hoping for health plus I still believe the Rams might make a deal for a Guard/Tackle combination to replace Evans.
To me, Allen and Shelton are replacement level players. There are a lot of Centers and Guards on other teams that could be interchangeable with them. So it’s like the baseball metric ‘Wins above replacement’. They aren’t anything special. Edwards has had his moments so I’d put him and Noteboom a bit above them.
Havenstein isn’t getting any younger, but I’d rate him as one of the better Right tackles in the game but not top tier.

It boils down to a very average to below average group. No standouts at all. If they had one very good guard or a top center then it would pull the group up a few notches. We’ve seen that over the years one or two dominant players on a line can make a huge difference. I think they end up missing Whitworth as the glue of the line.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It boils down to a very average to below average group. No standouts at all. If they had one very good guard or a top center then it would pull the group up a few notches. We’ve seen that over the years one or two dominant players on a line can make a huge difference. I think they end up missing Whitworth as the glue of the line.
You could be right about that, but I have a higher level of opinion on Noteboom than you do and his game against the Buccaneers in post season is an example of his play, but then he was hurt and was not available for the Championship game or the Super Bowl, so there lies my concern with Boom.

As to Brian Allen, IMO, he's an above average Center and I thought played well last year. He might be a tad better as to Shelton, well, again, Corbett was good in pass protection, I look for Shelton to be a better run blocker.

Not disagreeing with you overall, it's like the Rams have a Trent Williams for example and they really have used high draft capital for the OL in a very long time. Key is health because if Boom goes down & Allen they you have Jackson & Anchrum starting with Evans being first OL off the bench.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
To me, Allen and Shelton are replacement level players. There are a lot of Centers and Guards on other teams that could be interchangeable with them. So it’s like the baseball metric ‘Wins above replacement’. They aren’t anything special. Edwards has had his moments so I’d put him and Noteboom a bit above them.
Havenstein isn’t getting any younger, but I’d rate him as one of the better Right tackles in the game but not top tier.

Hav is a very, very good right tackle.
Allen is about average.
Edwards is up and down, but going into his 4th year.. I think he’ll be a plus player this year.

I think we can reasonably expect better seasons from Allen and Edwards.

Shelton & Boom are the big question marks.

I’m not as worried about Shelton after watching Anchrum this preseason. I feel like he took a significant step & could easily start. I think @bubbaramfan may feel similarly about Anchrum.