Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
usa_today_14794500.0.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams are bringing back a familiar face for the 2023 season. According to Field Yates of ESPN, Sean McVay is hiring Aubrey Pleasant as the team’s defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator.

Pleasant was the Rams’ cornerbacks coach for four years from 2017-2020, following McVay over from Washington after the Rams made him their head coach. Pleasant was then hired as the Lions’ DBs coach and passing game coordinator in 2021, spending a season and a half in Detroit before being fired in October.

He finished the 2022 campaign as a consultant with the Packers but was available this offseason, so the Rams came calling.

Raheem Morris and Pleasant didn’t cross paths with the Rams the last two seasons but they’ll now work closely together. Morris is returning as the Rams’ defensive coordinator after not landing a head coaching job this offseason.

Pleasant replaces Jonathan Cooley on McVay’s staff after the Rams opted not to retain Cooley this offseason.

View: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1626369458020155396?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1626369458020155396%7Ctwgr%5E4ed762ae7ed058f8329e15f56ee78e54d5513690%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F02%2F17%2Frams-aubrey-pleasant-coaching-staff-hire-defense%2F

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams hire former Washington Huskies head coach Jimmy Lake to coaching staff​

USATSI_17145094.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1626276485597102081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1626276485597102081%7Ctwgr%5Eb1d3d602e5ecf95121ca8f178f617e85fc43cc59%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F02%2F16%2Frams-washington-jimmy-lake-hire-coaching-staff%2F\

The Los Angeles Rams have made some changes to the coaching staff this offseason and they’ll be bringing in another new face. While his role with the team is undetermined, the Rams have hired former University of Washington head coach Jimmy Lake to Sean McVay’s coaching staff.

Lake began his NFL coaching career as an assistant defensive backs coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2006. He would continue coaching defensive backs with the Buccaneers and the Detroit Lions from 2006-2011.

Seeing that Jonathan Cooley, the former defensive backs coach of the Rams, recently joined the Carolina Panthers coaching staff, Lake could be joining Los Angeles to coach the secondary. Cooley spent three years with the Rams and one year as the team’s defensive backs coach.

After coaching defensive backs in the NFL from 2006-2011, Lake would rise up the ranks in college and become the head coach at Washington in 2020. In his two seasons as head coach, Lake produced a 7-6 record at Washington before being suspended and then fired after shoving a player in 2021.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just hope Pleasant and Lake convince Morris that his secondary is good enough to disguise defenses instead of playing the same play over and over again

I think that is the most important thing in a defense. Disguising coverages.

If Morris does just that, I am okay with bringing him back.

There I said it

LAUGH!! That is Funny stuff & agree being more aggressive is welcome.
I’ve always liked Aubrey,because he is a players coach. He is always talking & calling out plays & rotations out loud.Asking guys to talk & communicate.He likes playing music during drills,or a least getting into it.
Wonder how he & Jalen will get a long,or if he feels like he can coach up Kendrick.
—I think he is going to be a starter & LMAO for those Ram Fans that say cut him.
Any of those FOLKS that talk that NONSENSE really don’t understand The NFL.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

The Los Angeles Rams are bringing back a familiar face for the 2023 season. According to Field Yates of ESPN, Sean McVay is hiring Aubrey Pleasant as the team’s defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator.

Pleasant was the Rams’ cornerbacks coach for four years from 2017-2020, following McVay over from Washington after the Rams made him their head coach. Pleasant was then hired as the Lions’ DBs coach and passing game coordinator in 2021, spending a season and a half in Detroit before being fired in October.

He finished the 2022 campaign as a consultant with the Packers but was available this offseason, so the Rams came calling.

Raheem Morris and Pleasant didn’t cross paths with the Rams the last two seasons but they’ll now work closely together. Morris is returning as the Rams’ defensive coordinator after not landing a head coaching job this offseason.

Pleasant replaces Jonathan Cooley on McVay’s staff after the Rams opted not to retain Cooley this offseason.

View: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1626369458020155396?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1626369458020155396%7Ctwgr%5E4ed762ae7ed058f8329e15f56ee78e54d5513690%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F02%2F17%2Frams-aubrey-pleasant-coaching-staff-hire-defense%2F

VERY happy to hear this. Our DBs were fucking lit in 2020 under Pleasant's coaching. I don't know what happened in Detroit, but he did a great job for us and I was sad to lose him. Hopefully Morris will let him do his thing and won't neuter the DBs by lining them up two zip codes away from the WRs.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Really like seeing familiar faces that were successful and talented new faces added to the coaching staff.
I would like to see Lafleur involved in the design in the offense and have input on play calling.
I want to see someone push McVay a bit out of his comfort zone where he can “continue” to grow and consider fresh input

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ll say this.

I strongly suspect that the hires of Lake and Pleasant indicates a swing toward more aggressive secondary play, because that’s how they both like to roll. At least some more of it AND probably more disguises by our D presnap.

I’m cautiously optimistic about both hires. Get Morris a decent Edge and a CB and maybe a Safety this offseason and we might just be in business.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@OldSchool I guess I just don't understand why you would ask me to find where you said something that I stated don't believe you said. I was only trying to point out, using your post and mention of CB injuries as a launch point, that there is a weird thing happening in regards to injuries as an excuse. I guess using an @ mention isn't the best way to do that, but like I said, my phone is being wicked stupid about quoting messages. I can't quote anyone without my post getting sucked into the quote. I'm sure it's my phone that's the issue, but nothing I've tried has fixed it.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you. Your post just made those two things click in my head and I used an @ instead of a quote. I apologize for the inconvenience.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Show me where I said the offense was Morris' fault or that the injuries to not only the OL but Stafford and Kupp weren't the problem with the offense. The fact is we had a shitty year the year after winning the Super Bowl. People are shitting on Morris and twisting things to fit the narrative against him more than not. Fact is there were problems with all aspects of coaching and the roster. Morris isn't the reason we were a 5-12 team. He was part of the problem as was his boss the front office and the players in total.

And people may not be out right saying Morris is stupid but the things they're saying and even implying lead straight to that thought.
Morris deserves some respect, not constant abuse.

The D was as crucial as the O in our Super Bowl run, with AD and Von Miller making huge plays to win games down the stretch. Meanwhile Raheem pulled Eric Weddle out of pickup basketball to somehow hold the secondary and the title run together.

This last year the D was much better than the O, and really in spite of the O which consistently put it in bad positions.

Give Morris a pass rush and better coverage guys and the D will look good again.

Oh, and an offense that can hold on to the ball and score more than 17 points a game might help too.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I’ll say this.

I strongly suspect that the hires of Lake and Pleasant indicates a swing toward more aggressive secondary play, because that’s how they both like to roll. At least some more of it AND probably more disguises by our D presnap.

I’m cautiously optimistic about both hires. Get Morris a decent Edge and a CB and maybe a Safety this offseason and we might just be in business.
So two guys who, never being DCs, therefore coached philosophies and styles the way their boss (DC) instructs them to, "like to roll a certain way"???? Is this from some interview or personal connection to them?

I'd be more inclined to believe "more aggressive secondary play" is on the way if player quality improved......increased pressure with the front 4, press man called more due to the DB's/youngsters improving in that area.......and of course, the head coach desiring that approach.

Tano

Legend
Having listened to Morris he is always looking to be the best coach he can be. Including this past season where he made fans forget how far 10 yards is :D
You need to get over that

Yes they lined up 7 yards back most of the time but once the ball was snapped they dropped back another 3 yards the majority of the time and it became 10 yards back.

7 yards 10 yards it doesn't matter

They played off on almost every play

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx Tano, I too, don't get why folks are OK with that on 3rd and short. I'm fine with Morris' D the rest o the time.

Tano

Legend
Thx Tano, I too, don't get why folks are OK with that on 3rd and short. I'm fine with Morris' D the rest o the time.
I would like to change the 3rd and long where he only has them 7 yards back on those downs too instead of the 10 to 15 yards back

If it is 3rd and 12 or longer - I am okay with them getting an easy 7 or 8 yards

They will usually punt or kick a field goal at 4th and 4 or longer

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah we've learned here he's just plain stupid and McVay doesn't care enough to change things. It's amazing to me how we downgrade the pass rush and the scheme changes and it's all Morris' fault personnel has nothing to do with it. We lose our #2 and #3 CB to be replaced by a guy playing all year hurt when he actually plays and that doesn't affect the scheme Morris is just stupid and bad and McVay doesn't care enough to change it.

We added a pass rusher last year and it changed the team and the defense overall and allowed us to win the Super Bowl. This year at the trade deadline what were we looking for? Oh a pass rusher again? It's almost like the Rams FO and McVay knows they needed a pass rusher to make the defense better but Rams fans insist that the pass rush is fine it's just Morris being bad and stupid. What seems to be the one of the most common additions in this draft off season? A pass rusher you say? But our pass rush is fine it's just our DC that's bad.

Again I'm not a huge Morris guy but this insistence that the pass rush is fine doesn't jive with what we see the Rams having done and continue to try to do with adding an Edge rusher.
After watching the playoff defenses, I gained a new appreciation for Raheem Morris. He did more with our decimated defense than some of those dudes were doing with very talented defenses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shula & Brown should go back to their best coaching positions? Brown RB coach.
Shula looks to be stripped of both his duties.Is the hire in spite of Morris or Shula? IMO this is just an addition that makes The Rams coaching staff stronger working together striving to continue to be better.

Brown is going to Carolina to be OC, unfortunately.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brown is going to Carolina to be OC, unfortunately.
Just saw that, & was hoping for a different result.He would(did) have made a difference.Don’t even know what the RB’s coach will look like? Thanks though

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thinking this definitely means more aggressive calls on gameday. Will say again that it feels to me like Morris was hired to take over a defensive scheme he did not know, and Von's addition saved his bacon. Then McVay last year put a LB coach under him to learn and it was a catastrophe so this has to be a good thing to get a coach in there who is up to date on the back end schematically.

Makes me think they're gonna add more talent back there too which would be helpful as well. Scheme only gets you so far.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Notes from the 11 Personnel podcast:

The Rams not only will have Ryan Wendell and Aaron Kromer working as Oline coaches. They will have guest appearances from veteran Oline coaches in camp. She didn’t say who or for how long. She did allude to Wendell being a player so the hope is that communication is improved between the coach and the linemen.

She also said that McVay really really wants to get this fixed. She mentioned in the past that McVay’s offensive focus was the Oline and run game, and that he needs it fixed.

Maybe part of the problem is the players?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Wonder what he wants from the Defense next year.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
One person we should look at as our new RB coach should be Deshaun Foster who is currently UCLA's RB coach. He's done a great job there since 2017.