Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lou Anarumo is a good example of it not happening.

It seems like all Staley has is his McVay contacts. He was a Linebackers coach when Sean hired him. He was a first time, one year defensive coordinator. He coaches like he could have used a bit more seasoning.
He was a coach in the NFL for four years. Is it really surprising to people that the majority of the other coaches he knows are from his successful brief stint with the Rams?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He was a coach in the NFL for four years. Is it really surprising to people that the majority of the other coaches he knows are from his successful brief stint with the Rams?
Nope. That’s my point. With more time and experience there are many more relationships built to pull from. Staley was hired as a head coach too soon. Even McVay at his young age has Ben able to pull in staff from all over.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Besides that, are the Rams coaches the only ones good at coaching. There aren’t other coaches who may want to interview? Staley came to the rams from Chicago. Isn’t that the point of interviewing? He doesn’t have to know a coach personally to hire one. He could interview some Niners, Packers, or Bengals coaches if he wants a similar system. Plus there are other versions of the West Coast offense that other teams run. Andy Reid has been pretty successful. Why not interview some of his assistants? Someone should want a promotion and a shot at calling the plays.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Besides that, are the Rams coaches the only ones good at coaching. There aren’t other coaches who may want to interview? Staley came to the rams from Chicago. Isn’t that the point of interviewing? He doesn’t have to know a coach personally to hire one. He could interview some Niners, Packers, or Bengals coaches if he wants a similar system. Plus there are other versions of the West Coast offense that other teams run. Andy Reid has been pretty successful. Why not interview some of his assistants? Someone should want a promotion and a shot at calling the plays.
Because these guys jobs are on the line and they go with two things. One what they know and two guys that people they trust endorse.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kolone saved his job.He was cut & came back because of injury.
Well, I don't care the injury factor IMO, Jeremiah Kolone & Bobby Evans had no business making the team and should have been cut early on with the goal of adding others. In fact, I felt Jack Snyder played well and deserved to be added to the practice squad over Kolone, but because Kolone had hung around so long they kept him and because Bobby Evans had played in a few regular season games they kept him.

It seemed outrageous then and was obvious a mistake and maybe that is why Kevin Carberry and now unemployed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I don't care the injury factor IMO, Jeremiah Kolone & Bobby Evans had no business making the team and should have been cut early on with the goal of adding others. In fact, I felt Jack Snyder played well and deserved to be added to the practice squad over Kolone, but because Kolone had hung around so long they kept him and because Bobby Evans had played in a few regular season games they kept him.

It seemed outrageous then and was obvious a mistake and maybe that is why Kevin Carberry and now unemployed.
It's interesting how McVay continually talked up Evans. It wasn't Carberry out there singing his praises it was the boss, yes we don't get nearly as much media time with the OL coach as the head coach I get that. With how much we heard about Evans from the boss I find it hard to fault Carberry for Evans being a reserve OL especially when we heard the boss say why he was a reserve. Anyways it's pointless now they're both off the Rams and no need to kick guys when they're gone.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's interesting how McVay continually talked up Evans. It wasn't Carberry out there singing his praises it was the boss, yes we don't get nearly as much media time with the OL coach as the head coach I get that. With how much we heard about Evans from the boss I find it hard to fault Carberry for Evans being a reserve OL especially when we heard the boss say why he was a reserve. Anyways it's pointless now they're both off the Rams and no need to kick guys when they're gone.
I am guessing they saw natural ability in Evans, but were frustrated with his lapses in picking up stunts etc... and were just hoping the light would come on especially with how desperate they were for help. They finally pulled the plug when it was obvious there was no electricity flowing to the light bulb.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am guessing they saw natural ability in Evans, but were frustrated with his lapses in picking up stunts etc... and were just hoping the light would come on especially with how desperate they were for help. They finally pulled the plug when it was obvious there was no electricity flowing to the light bulb.
I personally was never a fan of Evans but that's just me. But it will be interesting next year, there is always a guy on the OL for the Rams that fans like to abuse. Who's it gonna be?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good chance he got that opinion from his OL coach. Which is undoubtedly one of the reasons he was fired.

Truth is most teams have questionable types on the bottom of the roster. But when you find yourself playing them and the guy completely shits the bed that is a failure of the position coach to do his job. It's a tough deal but he is responsible for the entire room not just the starters.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With how much we heard about Evans from the boss I find it hard to fault Carberry for Evans being a reserve OL especially when we heard the boss say why he was a reserve. Anyways it's pointless now they're both off the Rams and no need to kick guys when they're gone.
Good points and McVay did call out Evans and I thought he was trying to convince himself. Again, I will never understand what the Rams saw in Evans, whoever it was, however, he's gone now and hopefully better days are ahead.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good chance he got that opinion from his OL coach. Which is undoubtedly one of the reasons he was fired.

Truth is most teams have questionable types on the bottom of the roster. But when you find yourself playing them and the guy completely shits the bed that is a failure of the position coach to do his job. It's a tough deal but he is responsible for the entire room not just the starters.
We can speculate about that with every player for every coach. In the end though McVay watches and directs the practices and see's Evans in those. Even if Carberry does say this McVay has all the evidence in front of him and never changed his tune until Evans was released.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Great points!

I spent a lot of time observing & then rewatching all the snaps that rookie OL Jack Snyder was involved with in preseason. IMO, Jack Snyder would have been a very good investment PS OL'er for future starting considerations as a young OC/OG for this team. As I posted at the time of his release I was highly disappointed in the Rams Org. & felt this was a mistake that would come back & bite them hard in the posterior.

Rams will once more be in great need of a young future OC/OG prospect in this upcoming draft.

Last season OL'ers Kolone/ Toner/ Edwards/ Brewer/ Skura/ Aboushi/ Nsekhe are all FA's. The Rams did not sign any OG's or OC's from their PS. OC Jack Snyder is still collecting 2022 & 2023 dead cap funds from the Rams.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We can speculate about that with every player for every coach. In the end though McVay watches and directs the practices and see's Evans in those. Even if Carberry does say this McVay has all the evidence in front of him and never changed his tune until Evans was released.
First off McVay talks up everyone. He's politically correct to a fault. It drives me apeshit, one of the few things I dislike about him. He talked about Tavon like he was Randy fucking Moss at the presser where they moved him for a ham sandwich.

Secondly McVay is not skilled in evaluating the OL. Clearly we can say that. The OL has been the single biggest position group to hold his offense back through his time as head coach. An even slightly better OL vs the Patriots and he has two rings. We can of course lay blame on him and the buck stops with him. But that doesn't mean the OL coach should be absolved of the failures.

A good OL coach is worth his weight in gold in this league because it's an area of knowledge that most coordinators do not possess. This includes McVay. It's the smarty pants types who end up running offenses. These guys tend to source from positions other than OL. It's partly what makes a guy like Andy Reid so good IMO, his innate knowledge of the line to help him keep it good enough to sustain the offense he wants to run.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First off McVay talks up everyone. He's politically correct to a fault. It drives me apeshit, one of the few things I dislike about him. He talked about Tavon like he was Randy fucking Moss at the presser where they moved him for a ham sandwich.

Secondly McVay is not skilled in evaluating the OL. Clearly we can say that. The OL has been the single biggest position group to hold his offense back through his time as head coach. An even slightly better OL vs the Patriots and he has two rings. We can of course lay blame on him and the buck stops with him. But that doesn't mean the OL coach should be absolved of the failures.

A good OL coach is worth his weight in gold in this league because it's an area of knowledge that most coordinators do not possess. This includes McVay. It's the smarty pants types who end up running offenses. These guys tend to source from positions other than OL. It's partly what makes a guy like Andy Reid so good IMO, his innate knowledge of the line to help him keep it good enough to sustain the offense he wants to run.
He doesn't talk up everybody but he doesn't talk people down.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I personally was never a fan of Evans but that's just me. But it will be interesting next year, there is always a guy on the OL for the Rams that fans like to abuse. Who's it gonna be?
If they all do their job well then nobody will be complaining. I don’t recall any complaints about a specific Olineman in 2017.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well I’ll give you that. I saw Jack Synder in training camp & said he was better than Bruss.
I’m sort of excited to see Snyder in the USFL league. He was a 1st rd pick I believe?
I said also that there was disconnect with the O”Lineman.

Tano

Legend
Well in 2021 I didn't hate anyone on the OL - I felt we could do better but I didn't hate anyone like I did this year with two players. Well hate is a strong word. Maybe it is more of "they had absolutely no business being on the team - even as a back-up" type of attitude.