Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
steferfootball said:
libertadrocks said:
Read, from a source close to the Rams FO, that we have 8-10 of this years draftable DTs rated as week one starters. Tells me they're not that high on Laws. Hopefully it also means this draft is very deep at DT.
If that is true, it seems we'd get a DT in the third round. Maybe second. Thats good news imo...week one starter in the third round.

Well maybe. Gotta figure Cox, Brockers, Poe, Still, Thompson, Ta'amu, Worthy will all be off the board by mid second round. Dosent leave much of a cushion. Only 1 DT I'd target at the top of round 3. Thats Reyes outta UCONN
I think all the top guys will be gone by round 3. We will probably pick the best one available in the 2nd round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
Man, I'd love to see Ta'amu sittin there at the top of the 3rd.

Me too. I see all these mocks with him at the bottom of the second or top of third. I just do not see it. He's good. The only real knock I see with him is his lack of awareness. He's got a quick first step and eats blockers. Any team that doesnt double team him will find he can be a disruptive force inside too.

Im worried he wont be there at 39 tho.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
Ramhusker said:

Me too. I see all these mocks with him at the bottom of the second or top of third. I just do not see it. He's good. The only real knock I see with him is his lack of awareness. He's got a quick first step and eats blockers. Any team that doesnt double team him will find he can be a disruptive force inside too.

I think he will be there at 39. If the Rams want him, they will probably have to pick him then because he probably won't make it out of the 2nd. The gamble the Rams may be willing to take is hoping he is there at 65 so they could go WR/OLB/OG or RB with the first 3 picks. I sure hope the dominoes fall just right so the Rams could do that. They could end up with 4 starters if that were the case.

Speeps

Starter
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Ramhusker said:

I think he will be there at 39. If the Rams want him, they will probably have to pick him then because he probably won't make it out of the 2nd. The gamble the Rams may be willing to take is hoping he is there at 65 so they could go WR/OLB/OG or RB with the first 3 picks. I sure hope the dominoes fall just right so the Rams could do that. They could end up with 4 starters if that were the case.
I think Ta'amu will drop to the third round because the general consensus from reports that I have read is Ta'amu is a two down DT. He's inconsistent, and won't be playing on third downs. Apparently many GM's and scouts share that same view. Perhaps because of that he will slide to the third round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Greg Cosell released his mock today. He goes based only on his own film study and opinions. Very unorthodox. Also worth noting he hasnt studied individual team needs, he just goes off of his general impressions of team needs. He is a film junkie tho, and has put in as much work as anyone.

Most interesting mock I have seen in a long time:

1. Indianapolis (I know they are taking Andrew Luck but that’s not important for this exercise): Robert Griffin III(QB - BAY)

2. Washington: Andrew Luck(QB - STAN)

3. Minnesota: Stephon Gilmore(CB - SCAR)

4. Cleveland: Trent Richardson(RB - BAMA)

5. Tampa Bay: Janoris Jenkins(CB - NALA)

6. St. Louis: Fletcher Cox(DT/DE - MSST)

7. Jacksonville: Morris Claiborne(CB - LSU)

8. Miami: Ryan Tannehill(QB - TAMU)

9. Carolina: Michael Floyd(WR - ND)

10. Buffalo: Justin Blackmon(WR - OKST)

11. Kansas City: Luke Kuechly(LB - BC)

12. Seattle: Melvin Ingram(DE - SCAR)

13. Arizona: Matt Kalil(OT - USC)

14. Dallas: Mark Barron(S - BAMA)

15. Philadelphia: Chandler Jones(DL - SYC)

16. Jets: Courtney Upshaw(DE/OLB -BAMA)

17. Cincinnati: David DeCastro(OG - STAN)

18. San Diego: Cordy Glenn(OT/OG - GEO)

19. Chicago: Kendall Wright(WR - BAY)

20. Tennessee: Whitney Mercilus(DE - ILL)

21. Cincinnati: Dre Kirkpatrick(CB - BAMA)

22. Cleveland: Rueben Randle(WR - LSU)

23. Detroit: Mike Adams(OT - OSU)

24. Pittsburgh: Kevin Zeitler(OG - WISC)

25. Denver: Coby Fleener(TE - STAN)

26. Houston: Riley Reiff(OT - IOWA)

27. New England: Shea McClellin(DE - BS)

28. Green Bay: Andre Branch(DE - CLEM)

29. Baltimore: Dont’a Hightower(ILB - BAMA)

30. San Francisco: Peter Konz(C - WISC)

31. New England: Michael Brockers(DT - LSU)

32. Giants: Doug Martin(RB - BS)

If you want explanations here they are: http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Speeps said:
I think Ta'amu will drop to the third round because the general consensus from reports that I have read is Ta'amu is a two down DT. He's inconsistent, and won't be playing on third downs. Apparently many GM's and scouts share that same view. Perhaps because of that he will slide to the third round.[/quote]

I havent really heard that and I dont share that view.

Ta'amu is a 3 tech stuck in a NT's body. He is quick and impressively athletic for his size. I dont see any reason he cant be a complete 3 down DT. But lets say you're right and FOs believe he is only a block eater and a liability when it comes to pushing the the pocket. Teams will still view him valuable in run heavy divisions, like the NFC West.

Im just saying, dont be surprised if he goes earlier than expected. I know y'all dont share my view on him, but I would not be shocked if he heard his name called on Thursday night.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:

Ta'amu is a 3 tech stuck in a NT's body. He is quick and impressively athletic for his size. I dont see any reason he cant be a complete 3 down DT. But lets say you're right and FOs believe he is only a block eater and a liability when it comes to pushing the the pocket. Teams will still view him valuable in run heavy divisions, like the NFC West.

Im just saying, dont be surprised if he goes earlier than expected. I know y'all dont share my view on him, but I would not be shocked if he heard his name called on Thursday night

I'm with you. i'd be shocked if he drops into the third round. The only issue that I see is conditioning, but DT's are rotated more in the NFL than in college. He's a high to mid 2nd at worst IMO, and he IS the quickest DT out there off the ball.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
I'm with you. i'd be shocked if he drops into the third round. The only issue that I see is conditioning, but DT's are rotated more in the NFL than in college. He's a high to mid 2nd at worst IMO, and he IS the quickest DT out there off the ball.

Exactly. There are times where he has absolutely no clue where the ball is. That happened way too often and worries me however that combo of size and quickness is uncommon. That cant be taught. IMO he will be a force in the middle of what ever DL he finds himself in.

Also a great interior complement to Langford. Long - Langford - Ta'amu - Quinn is a good pass rushing line capable of stuffing the run. Depth is an issue tho.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

Exactly. T[hil]here are times where he has absolutely no clue where the ball is.[/hil] That happened way too often and worries me however that combo of size and quickness is uncommon. That cant be taught. IMO he will be a force in the middle of what ever DL he finds himself in.

Also a great interior complement to Langford. Long - Langford - Ta'amu - Quinn is a good pass rushing line capable of stuffing the run. Depth is an issue tho.

I've seen this in other DT's quite a bit...they get too wrapped up in beating their man instead of playing assignment football. This is actually one of the things that I like about Poe, he doesn't really do that, but Poe will probably fall between where we pick.

I agree that could be a good line. Throw in Simms and Hayes, maybe Laws can be a decent rotational guy, and who knows, but I do know that it should be better than last year's line.

Speeps

Starter
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:
I think Ta'amu will drop to the third round because the general consensus from reports that I have read is Ta'amu is a two down DT. He's inconsistent, and won't be playing on third downs. Apparently many GM's and scouts share that same view. Perhaps because of that he will slide to the third round.

Im just saying, dont be surprised if he goes earlier than expected. I know y'all dont share my view on him, but I would not be shocked if he heard his name called on Thursday night.[/quote]Oh I like Ta'amu a lot, I was just reporting what I read. I honestly can't remember where that came from, once I do I will post it. I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the second or dropped to the third. There's a lot of varying opinions on him.

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
steferfootball said:
libertadrocks said:
Read, from a source close to the Rams FO, that we have 8-10 of this years draftable DTs rated as week one starters. Tells me they're not that high on Laws. Hopefully it also means this draft is very deep at DT.
If that is true, it seems we'd get a DT in the third round. Maybe second. Thats good news imo...week one starter in the third round.

Well maybe. Gotta figure Cox, Brockers, Poe, Still, Thompson, Ta'amu, Worthy will all be off the board by mid second round. Dosent leave much of a cushion. Only 1 DT I'd target at the top of round 3. Thats Reyes outta UCONN
I think all the top guys will be gone by round 3. We will probably pick the best one available in the 2nd round.
It is also true that we don't know who the 8-10 players are. Hypothetically they could see a 5th rounder as a day one starter. Our FO knows best, I suppose.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
libertadrocks said:
steferfootball said:
libertadrocks said:

I think that Reyes goes before Worthy does, and it's highly doubtful that either one falls to the third round. The only defensive tackles that could be targeted at that point are guys like Wolfe, Winn, and possibly Hicks.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Reports were out there that we held last minute workouts with 3 WRs. Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd. New report gives a 4th name AJ Jenkins

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Rams worked out at least one more: Illinois receiver A.J. Jenkins.

Jenkins is regarded as a third-to-fourth-round talent. It’s unclear whether the Rams would be targeting him in that range, or higher.

Jenkins caught 90 passes in 2011, generated 1,276 yards. He was one of the fastest receivers at the Scouting Combine, covering 40 yards in 4.39 seconds.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Seems like Hill will go late in Rd1... Hope he's there at 33!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PressureD41 said:
Seems like Hill will go late in Rd1... Hope he's there at 33!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you like about Hill? And, is that your favorite receiver overall in this draft?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:
I'm assuming that Hill isn't even on their radar then.

I dunno - teams seem to always bring in a bunch of players and then pick someone else. I just think it depends on their first pick and then if he's available at 33 or 39. Of course they may have no interest at all.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Speeps said:
I want to know how the Rams feel about Sanu. I love the guy.

They should know a lot about him. His coach last year is on the Ram's coaching staff this year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Browns moved up to the #3 spot, traded three picks for the 3rd overall...

Kalil slipping? Browns are taking Richardson it seems. Or do the Vikings take Kalil 4th?