Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
Personally, I think that's horse shit. All due respect to whoever said that. But you can't possibly expect to have a strong passing game without a good running game. It just doesn't work like that. You NEED to have that balance if you want teams to stay off of your QB, or if you want to close out games and eat clock when you need to. You also need to set up the pass with the run, and you need to set up the run with the pass. I don't buy, for one minute, that the league is this one-dimensional. No sir.

Completely agree.

I think some people look at the offensive success GB, NE, and NO have had without a stud at RB and extrapolate it league wide. Those teams may be "pass first" offenses but in order to be successful they have to keep the defense honest by running the ball.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
libertadrocks said:
I found this report interesting:

One NFC executive told Yahoo Sports that he wouldn't use a top-ten pick on Alabama RB Trent Richardson because the NFL no longer features running backs.

The exec conceded that he "loves" Richardson and called him "a great football player," comparing Richardson to former No. 1 overall pick George Rogers. "If you're asking me if I'd take him in the top-10 picks, the answer is no. Not the way the game is played today," said the executive. "It kind of hurts me to say it, but that's just reality. ... It's not a running back league anymore."

Depending on who is on the board at 6 TRich may not be my top guy, but I would feel fortunate to get him. He is a tremendous talent. Best since AD. I get that it's not a RB league anymore but he is an exceptional prospect.
Personally, I think that's horse shit. All due respect to whoever said that. But you can't possibly expect to have a strong passing game without a good running game. It just doesn't work like that. You NEED to have that balance if you want teams to stay off of your QB, or if you want to close out games and eat clock when you need to. You also need to set up the pass with the run, and you need to set up the run with the pass. I don't buy, for one minute, that the league is this one-dimensional. No sir.

Pretty much and EXACTLY... Was the exec. Matt Millen? :what:

Speeps

Starter
At this point I think the Rams are looking at three players, Richardson, Blackmon, and Cox. I would take either three:

Richardon-1
Blackmon-2
Cox-3

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Speeps said:
At this point I think the Rams are looking at three players, Richardson, Blackmon, and Cox. I would take either three:

Richardon-1
Blackmon-2
Cox-3

Funny thing about those three players is those three positions are probably the deepest in this draft. No matter which you pick, a quality guy will be there for the other two positions in the top of the 2nd round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I always like these scout polls. Here's one on the WR position:
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel assigned "points" from the poll, asking each scout to rate the receivers 1-5. Blackmon (92 points) finished just ahead of Floyd (85). Kendall Wright (43 points) was No. 3, Rueben Randle (26) fourth, and Stephen Hill (21) fifth. Alshon Jeffery (20), Mohamed Sanu (5), A.J. Jenkins (4), and T.Y Hilton (2) rounded out the top nine. Arkansas' Joe Adams and Appalachian State's Brian Quick tied for 10th with one point apiece.

Couple of impressions. I was surprised Blackmon and Floyd were so close, Wright was so far behind, and Quick was 10th.

Speeps

Starter
Ramhusker said:
Speeps said:

Richardon-1
Blackmon-2
Cox-3

Funny thing about those three players is those three positions are probably the deepest in this draft. No matter which you pick, a quality guy will be there for the other two positions in the top of the 2nd round.
That's a great point. I frequently fluctuate between Richardson and Blackmon as my favorite. I'm liking Blackmon a lot right now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Alfonso Dennard just majorly screwed up his draft stock. He was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer. This guy's stock just went down the tube again and makes it all the more likely that Tampa Bay selects Claiborne if he's there.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Memento said:
Alfonso Dennard just majorly screwed up his draft stock. He was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer. This guy's stock just went down the tube again and makes it all the more likely that Tampa Bay selects Claiborne if he's there.

Dennard has been disappointing for about a year now. If I were to draft anybody from the Huskers this year, it would easily be Lavonte David. Jared Crick under impressed his senior year as well.

Speeps

Starter
I recently watched some highlights of DT Alameda Ta'amu and I am surprised that he's not shooting up draft boards. I'm no scout, but that guy can play football.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ramhusker said:
Memento said:

Dennard has been disappointing for about a year now. If I were to draft anybody from the Huskers this year, it would easily be Lavonte David. Jared Crick under impressed his senior year as well.

I'd pick David as well. Crick's best season was when Suh was next to him, and you have to wonder about Dennard due to this arrest. I wouldn't call him completely disappointing, though; he has shut down and frustrated big time college receivers this year, including guys like McNutt and Jeffery.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Speeps said:
I recently watched some highlights of DT Alameda Ta'amu and I am surprised that he's not shooting up draft boards. I'm no scout, but that guy can play football.

+100000. Im a big fan of Ta'amu. He's actually my second favorite DT. If anything he has been falling down boards. :shifty:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

+100000. Im a big fan of Ta'amu. He's actually my second favorite DT. If anything he has been falling down boards. :shifty:

I really like Ta'amu also. Wouldn't it be great if he was there at the top of the 3rd? Whose your favorite DT ahead of Ta'amu?

Speeps

Starter
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

I really like Ta'amu also. Wouldn't it be great if he was there at the top of the 3rd? Whose your favorite DT ahead of Ta'amu?
Cox. I put Ta'amu in the same class with Still, and Worthy.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

I like Brockers ahead of him.

I just think Cox is built to be an NFL 5 Tech. Poe's lack of performance against sub par competition makes him undraftable where he's projected to go. IMO. Thompson out of Clemson isnt half bad either.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

I just think Cox is built to be an NFL 5 Tech. Poe's lack of performance against sub par competition makes him undraftable where he's projected to go. IMO. Thompson out of Clemson isnt half bad either.

I feel confident the Rams will end up with one of these guys. If not, I'll be pretty miffed as to why the hell not?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

I feel confident the Rams will end up with one of these guys. If not, I'll be pretty miffed as to why the hell not?

Then you can expect to see the Langford/Laws machine help fix our run D :bign: .

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

Then you can expect to see the Langford/Laws machine help fix our run D :bign: .

Read, from a source close to the Rams FO, that we have 8-10 of this years draftable DTs rated as week one starters. Tells me they're not that high on Laws. Hopefully it also means this draft is very deep at DT.

steferfootball

Starter
libertadrocks said:
Read, from a source close to the Rams FO, that we have 8-10 of this years draftable DTs rated as week one starters. Tells me they're not that high on Laws. Hopefully it also means this draft is very deep at DT.
If that is true, it seems we'd get a DT in the third round. Maybe second. Thats good news imo...week one starter in the third round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
steferfootball said:
libertadrocks said:
If that is true, it seems we'd get a DT in the third round. Maybe second. Thats good news imo...week one starter in the third round.

Well maybe. Gotta figure Cox, Brockers, Poe, Still, Thompson, Ta'amu, Worthy will all be off the board by mid second round. Dosent leave much of a cushion. Only 1 DT I'd target at the top of round 3. Thats Reyes outta UCONN

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Man, I'd love to see Ta'amu sittin there at the top of the 3rd.