QB Carousel Could Be Crazy This Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Herm Edwards…

Happy Hour Drink GIF

View: https://twitter.com/getupespn/status/1625865367296917506?s=61&t=zxEzc5bdbRvzQx2luPERsQ

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
15% AT 34 million then anything more is a luxury tax

Now to get around the luxury tax the team can make a choice to keep their cap hit lower for the other players

Completely up to the team

For example - Snyder would never pay a luxury tax whereas Kronke probably would

Edit - I would keep the franchise tag amount at whatever the 15% calculates out to be
Franchise tag is based on the average of the 5 highest paid IIRC. Year by year the highest paid player is well over 15%, I was merely offering a suggestion to stabilize the QB salary, not cut it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
owners aren't going to give qbs more money than is allocated to the players as a whole. so the qbs will always take a larger slice of that allocated money. there's no way getting around it.

That's just not true, and the "larger slice" is taking a bigger % of the pie, which is the point of the discussion. I take it you arent capable of understanding that.
If Kroenke was allowed to go over the Cap, he'd do it in a heartbeat, as would most of the owners. This has nothing to do with the profit share % that was collectively bargained, it's an entirely different subject

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

“The Jets will do their homework on every available quarterback, but the pecking order seems to be as follows: Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill…

A Carr consolation prize wouldn’t be the worst thing. He’s a very underrated passer. The New Orleans Saints appear the frontrunners for him, though, and there are some concerns across the league with how Carr’s personality would mesh in New York. Garoppolo (familiar with Saleh) will be linked to New York if the team misses on Rodgers and Carr. Don’t sleep on Tannehill. There’s a feeling around the NFL that the Jets are much higher on him than some want to believe.”

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Interesting discussion.

There was a discussion about winning championships. If QBs are truly the #1 influence, with rare exception, then having an excellent one and paying him accordingly, shouldn't kill the team. If you're gonna make that investment, the smart thing to do is protect the investment. Providing a decent O line and putting weapons around him isn't really a problem......if you don't require a good defense.

It.would be nice if something could be done about that.

The QB is a position for 1 guy. And yet the QB franchise number is more than 55% higher than the #2 salary.....and you need two for those positions. Which actually makes that tag number carry an even higher value of difference.

Since there's also a defense that has to get paid, eventually there should be a similar break for the top guy on that side of the ball. The CB? The DL? The 3 time DPOY? Any one.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's just not true, and the "larger slice" is taking a bigger % of the pie, which is the point of the discussion. I take it you arent capable of understanding that.
If Kroenke was allowed to go over the Cap, he'd do it in a heartbeat, as would most of the owners. This has nothing to do with the profit share % that was collectively bargained, it's an entirely different subject

here's a question for you, why do you act like such a dickwad when someone disagrees with you?

there's no point in even engaging with you.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
here's a question for you, why do you act like such a dickwad when someone disagrees with you?

there's no point in even engaging with you.

Seriously? How about you check yourself, and re-read this conversation. Or dont, I dont really care. You are the one who says cant happen, wont happen blah blah blah. And then say Im argumentative? classic.

Tano

Legend
Franchise tag is based on the average of the 5 highest paid IIRC. Year by year the highest paid player is well over 15%, I was merely offering a suggestion to stabilize the QB salary, not cut it.
MY way is not cutting it either

If teams want to pay their QB 50 million then they are allowed to.

If they don't want to pay the luxury tax, then they will have to lower the overall cap total for the rest of the players to 176 million ( i think the current cap is 226 million)

My way does not force the teams to underpay the QBs. It gives them an option to have a separate cap for the other players at 192 million and then pay the starting QB the going rate if they do not mind the luxury tax.

So basically I have two caps.

192 million for all players but the starting QB

226 million for all players

And you are only allowed to go over the 226 million for your starting QB

You cannot have all other players go over 192 and have a starting QB go over the 226 million but you can have all other players go over the 192 million if your starting QB salary is low.

Example 1

192 million + 34 million (QB) = 226 million

Example 2

192 million + 50 million (QB) = 242 million (luxury tax on 16 million for going over the 226 million)

Example 3

195 million + 31 million (QB) = 226 million (max you can go to in this scenario or you would need to drop the all other players to 192 million and then pay the starting QB whatever you need to)

Example 4

185 million + 51 million (QB) = 226 million - still meet cap requirement

Example 5

185 million + 60 million (QB) = 235 million (luxury tax on the 9 million for going over the 226 million)

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So how many teams will have rookie starters in 2023?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MY way is not cutting it either
Essentially I agree with your strategy as my 1st option, base cap for all and QB is separate. By allowing teams to go over cap on QB salary will also allow teams to spend on backup QB. If an owner has deep pockets and isnt concerned with payroll, let him pay the backup QB handily to keep him around. Yes there are the very few examples of teams getting by with a backup but for the most part the season is sunk. If teams pay a luxury tax on QB specifically, then they wont spend the $$ on the backup
Alas...

Tano

Legend
Essentially I agree with your strategy as my 1st option, base cap for all and QB is separate. By allowing teams to go over cap on QB salary will also allow teams to spend on backup QB. If an owner has deep pockets and isnt concerned with payroll, let him pay the backup QB handily to keep him around. Yes there are the very few examples of teams getting by with a backup but for the most part the season is sunk. If teams pay a luxury tax on QB specifically, then they wont spend the $$ on the backup
Alas...
Yeah that could work too

I am for it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what I’d do.

Fields will win you games, but I don’t see “it”. Recoup the losses and try again in this draft.

View: https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/1625889412956536836?s=61&t=7FHOlvsN7fS8nfNGBHW9PQ

I can understand why Chicago would consider it if they think one of the top QBs can be special. That said, if they made Fields available and I was a team that needed a QB, I'd be very interested. Fields showed a lot of growth this year and was a true weapon in the running game. He did that while playing on an offense bereft of talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jets legend Joe Klecko says Aaron Rodgers could 'absolutely' ruin New York's locker room: 'It's not gonna fit'​

The New York Jets are in the market for a quarterback, and they have been rumored to be a possible trade destination for Aaron Rodgers. However, Jets legend and Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Klecko says Rodgers wouldn't mix well with a locker room full of up-and-coming players.

Klecko joined CBS Sports Radio's "Zach Gelb Show" on Wednesday and was asked about the possibility of the Jets acquiring Rodgers. Klecko isn't a fan of the idea because of how Rodgers might treat some of the young players on the Jets' roster, explaining that he could "absolutely" ruin the team's locker room.

"No I don't," Klecko said. "I don't think Rodgers is a fit with the young guys. I related this to myself when we came up as a young team when we started winning. Why it was a good fit for all of us was because we all worked together and came up together. I've watched Rodgers over the years. He's a great player. You don't become an MVP three times without doing what he's done.

"When he didn't have the perfect arrangement with receivers and the line, his attitude was condescending somewhat to the players. ... [Garrett] Wilson won Offensive Rookie of the Year. I can't see him coming back to the huddle and Rodgers lambasting him for running the wrong route. It's not gonna fit. I don't see it."

Former Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr is also in the mix to become the Jets' next starting quarterback, and Klecko said he would be a much better fit for the team than Rodgers.

"I could see a guy like [Derek] Carr, who is an All-Pro," Klecko said. "He isn't an MVP, but he has had some great years. I just can't see them going after a guy who has had all his years and had his way. Then when it doesn't turn out his way, he goes dark. I just can't see it."

Klecko is not the only person who is skeptical about Rodgers being able to get the Jets over the hump. Former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber said he doubts Rodgers could handle a major media market.

"If he is that sensitive that he gets upset that people, reporters, opinion-makers, influencers, or whoever want to talk about him, he is going to struggle in New York," Barber said. "I don't know if it's the right fit for him. I don't know if I want him in New York if this is going to be his reaction to things that don't matter."