QB Carousel Could Be Crazy This Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
With all the QBs who are free agents, injured, potential retirees, and candidates to be replaced, how many teams will be completely immune from a potential “QB carousel” this offseason? Here’s my breakdown:

First, the locks. These QBs are signed and unlikely to be replaced.

Buffalo (Josh Allen), Cincinnati (Joe Burrow), Pittsburgh (Kenny Pickett), Cleveland (Deshaun Watson), Jacksonville (Trevor Lawrence), Kansas City (Patrick Mahomes), L.A. Chargers (Justin Herbert), Denver (Russell Wilson), Dallas (Dak Prescott), Philadelphia (Jalen Hurts), Minnesota (Kirk Cousins), Detroit (Jared Goff), L.A. Rams (Matthew Stafford)

That’s only 13 names!

The next group are the probable starters. These are guys who need to get healthy, need a new contact, or, in the case of the Bears, need to be deemed preferable to a Blue Chip rookie:

Miami (Tua Tagovailoa), Baltimore (Lamar Jackson), N.Y. Giants (Daniel Jones), Arizona (Kyler Murray).

That’s another four.

The 49ers’ 2023 starter is almost certainly on their roster, but we don’t know who he is.

The rest… 14 teams with question marks!

On top of that, some pretty big names could be on the market. Even if Jackson, Jones and Smith re-sign with their current teams, you have Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Taylor Heinicke and Gardner Minshew all set to be free agents.

Its going to be interesting. Glad we’re among the “haves.”

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The quarterback moves this offseason will be unlike any other year.

It will be a crazy!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The rest… 14 teams with question marks!

On top of that, some pretty big names could be on the market. Even if Jackson, Jones and Smith re-sign with their current teams, you have Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Taylor Heinicke and Gardner Minshew all set to be free agents.
I don't expect Heinecke, Bridgewater or Dalton signed to be anything but a backup.

The UFAs I would expect signed as starters with their own team or another?

Jackson, Jones, Smith, Brady, Garappolo, Mayfield and maybe Darnold and Minshew.

How many draftees possible? 3? Should be exciting indeed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And there is Carr as well, soon to be free agent
I think Miami cuts bait on Tua and gets a new QB.
Mid way thru the season I thought Goff could be on the maybe cut list but now I'd expect to see Detroit signing him to an extension so they can lower the cap hit

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And there is Carr as well, soon to be free agent
I think Miami cuts bait on Tua and gets a new QB.
Mid way thru the season I thought Goff could be on the maybe cut list but now I'd expect to see Detroit signing him to an extension so they can lower the cap hit
Good call on Carr. Forgot about him.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Once the musical chairs game starts to wind down, we should be able to get a veteran backup at a reasonable price.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Once the musical chairs game starts to wind down, we should be able to get a veteran backup at a reasonable price.
I don't know. Good veteran back-ups usually get a nice short-term pay-day.

Not sure the Rams will be in a good position to pay the going-rate. Hope So!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

If Aaron Rodgers leaves the Packers for another team, where would he go?​

Last year, it seems as if Aaron Rodgers put on the parachute, got on the plane, waited for it to reach altitude, stood at the open door. And then decided not to jump.

Thus year, Rodgers seems to be putting the parachute on again.

In his Tuesday comments to Pat McAfee and A.J. Hawk, it became abundantly clear that Rodgers will at least ponder the possibility of playing for another team. And with plenty of teams potentially looking for new quarterbacks, we decided to make a list of possible destinations — if only to cross them off.

Here’s the broadest possible list we could come up with, presented in the order the standings are arranged in my own mind: AFC then NFC; East, North, South, West.

Jets.

They’re considering their options. And owner Woody Johnson has expressed a willingness to spend for the right player. Would they go all in for a 39-year-old quarterback, like they did 15 years ago for a then-38 Brett Favre?

Would Rodgers be willing to swap the largely friendly confines of Wisconsin for New York? Jets fans would roll out the red carpet for him. The moment he slips, they’ll start booing him louder than he’s ever been booed before.

Dolphins.

This one is fascinating. The Dolphins have put together a great offense under coach Mike McDaniel. That has made quarterback Tua Tagovailoa look good. What would it do for someone like Rodgers?

That’s a question Dolphins fans need to consider. Although their intense loyalty to Tua has caused them to at times be delusional about the potential limits on his overall abilities, ardent fans of the Dolphins should be willing to ask the question of whether the team could be even better with a better quarterback.

Rodgers would be a better quarterback. He could be the difference between hovering around .500 and making a Super Bowl run.

Patriots.

If Mac Jones is out, could Rodgers be in? A pairing of Rodgers with Bill Belichick would be fascinating. The real question is whether the Patriots would have enough around Rodgers to make it work for both player and team.

Ravens.

If they trade Lamar Jackson, they’ll need a new quarterback. The easy move would be to elevate Tyler Huntley. The tougher move would be to acquire a quarterback whose presence requires an overhaul to the offense.

All things considered, this one doesn’t make sense. It would be too big of an investment, and too dramatic of a change.

Titans.

They’ve got a chance to become very good again, quickly. Potent defense, Derrick Henry, great coach. Tennessee makes plenty of sense for Rodgers.

Texans.

Rodgers said Tuesday that he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild. So scratch the Texans off this list.

Colts.

This one makes sense for Rodgers. It doesn’t make sense for the Colts, who desperately need to break the habit of one-year arrangements with aging quarterbacks, one year too late.

Raiders.

The Raiders are looking for a new quarterback. Whether Rodgers and coach Josh McDaniels would work well together would be a very real question. And if the goal for Rodgers is to win for the division, he probably shouldn’t pick the one that has Patrick Mahomes in it.

Commodes.

They’re planning to go forward with Sam Howell. If Rodgers would be interested, they’d have to at least consider the possibility. As divisional degree of difficulty goes, however, Rodgers would probably be wise to consider a place other than the NFC East.

Panthers.

Owner David Tepper is perpetually looking for a franchise quarterback. And the team is good enough to contend with someone like Rodgers on the roster.

Buccaneers.

Again, Rodgers doesn’t want to be part of a rebuilding effort. The Buccaneers suddenly feel like they’re caught in that mode. Next.

Saints.

This one would have been fascinating a year or two ago. Now, it feels as if the Saints are at too much of a crossroads to be enticing to Rodgers. Also, they’d have a rough time coming up with the cap space to absorb his contract.

Falcons.

This one’s intriguing. The Falcons have won more games than anyone would have expected over the past two years. They have some very talented skill-position players. They’re potentially on the verge of popping into “contender” status. Rodgers could get them there.

49ers.

In April 2021, the 49ers tried to trade for Rodgers. They’ve since given up way too much to get Trey Lance, and they’ve stumbled into Brock Purdy. If they’re going to add an aging veteran at the quarterback position, they’re far more likely to sign Tom Brady.

Seahawks.

Geno Smith wants to stay, and the Seahawks seem to want him. If, however, Rodgers hopes to play on the West Coast, this is probably the closest he’ll get to California — short of heading to Las Vegas.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL execs see Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers as front runners in Lamar Jackson trade​

While there will be many suitors in a potential Lamar Jackson trade, it seems that the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers are the odds-on favorites, among many NFL executives, to land the former MVP if the Baltimore Ravens make him available.

One of the biggest stories in the upcoming NFL offseason will be the future of superstar quarterback Lamar Jackson. The 26-year-old will be a free agent, however, the Ravens are expected to use their franchise tag on him. Whether they use an exclusive or non-exclusive tag, it is far from a guarantee that he will remain on the roster next season.

Jackson represents himself and he has reportedly been steadfast in his desire to land a guaranteed contract, similar to what the Cleveland Browns gave Deshaun Watson last spring. Yet, it seems that Baltimore isn’t ready to agree to such a deal, which is a rarity when it comes to NFL contracts.

With the two sides far apart, there is a distinct possibility the Ravens could look to trade him before next season, and it seems that two NFC South teams are seen as perfect landing spots in a potential Lamar Jackson trade.

Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers seen as likely Lamar Jackson trade partners

On Wednesday, Washington Post NFL insider Jason La Canfora reported on conversations he recently had with executives around the league about the Lamar Jackson situation. As well as what could be the cost of a trade. In those conversations, La Canfora discovered a common choice among league execs as a likely landing spot is a pair of teams in the NFC South.

“The executives I spoke with kept coming back to two NFC South teams as potential Jackson landing spots: the Atlanta Falcons and the Carolina Panthers. Both missed out on Deshaun Watson a year ago — but not without a significant fight. Both have a need at quarterback, both markets could use a jolt, and neither owner is afraid to spend.”

– Jason La Confora on Lamar Jackson trade marketnone

The Atlanta Falcons used a third-round pick in 2022 on Cincinnati star Desmond Ridder, and let him make the team’s final four starts of the season. However, he did not show the sort of signs needed to give the team confidence he could be their long-term answer at the quarterback position.

The Carolina Panthers are badly in need of a QB after trades for Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield over the last two seasons failed miserably.

Lamar Jackson stats (2022): 12 games, 2,242 passing yards, 17 TD, 7 INT, 764 rushing yards

The belief among the executives La Confora spoke with is that sending Jackson out of the AFC would be preferred by the Ravens, and a coach or general manager feeling the pressure to find an answer at QB now could play a large role in the eventual trade destination.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Tannehill will likely get cut too, a team might see him as a viable bridge QB

I don't know. Good veteran back-ups usually get a nice short-term pay-day.

Not sure the Rams will be in a good position to pay the going-rate. Hope So!

So…the Rams draft a solid IDL to go with BB3 because they’ve lost both Gaines and ARob to FA. They sign tannehill to a 1 or 2 year deal, and when another QB goes down, the Rams trade him for a 3rd rounder. Steep asking price, yes, but things happen and everyone needs a legit starting QB. He’s at least that.

It doesn’t have to be tannahill, but certainly a game worth playing if the Rams lose too many key players this off season. It beats trading starters or guys who might’ve been looked at as the future. A decent return for a backup? 5-7th round picks aren’t gonna restock the cupboards. The Rams need impact players and they don’t have the $$ or the picks to get enough of them right now.

fearsomefour

Legend
Now that the Whiners feel they can let Jimmy G go I fully expect him to end up with the Jets.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now that the Whiners feel they can let Jimmy G go I fully expect him to end up with the Jets.
Hard to say. For one, that franchise is such a mess, they still may think they can "fix" Wilson. Secondly, not sure there is any love lost between him and Saleh. Last time they were on a field together they blew a 10 point, 4th Q lead in the SV when JG couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat. Personally, I think JG will end up in Miami

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to say. For one, that franchise is such a mess, they still may think they can "fix" Wilson. Secondly, not sure there is any love lost between him and Saleh. Last time they were on a field together they blew a 10 point, 4th Q lead in the SV when JG couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat. Personally, I think JG will end up in Miami
Rodgers to the Jets, seems to have a bit of buzz, if the Packers decide to move him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good points and makes sense with Miami.
I think he could be brought in to compete with Tua....assuming they let him go, but, I can't see that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Teammates believe Brady won't return to Buccaneers next season

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Teammates believe Brady won't return to Buccaneers next season
The Autumn Wind is a Raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

And Pelissero never mentioned the Bucs have been crossed off Brady’s list during an appearance yesterday on the “Rich Eisen Show.”

People close to Brady for the last two months have said all his options are on the table,” Pelissero said. “He is showing that he seems more open to coming back and playing another year than he did certainly a year ago at this time when he retired and unretired.

“Tom Brady knows if he comes back, he’s only coming back for one thing, which is to try to win another championship. And you can’t do that if you decide in June or July to come back and the rosters are already set and you have no flexibility to build the team the way you want it
.”

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Tom Terrific Cheater is DONE "winning" anymore Super Bowls. No matter who is dumb enough to sign him.

He absolutely refuses to take a hit now. He is more concerned about that than completing a pass. He just fires the ball out now regardless if the receiver has a chance. Getting the ball the fuck out of his hand faster than a mutha fucka will not win shit... especially come playoff time.

Just look at his losing record this year and that pitiful performance in Tampon against the girls if you need confirmation.