QB Bryce Perkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzh06WkpS-k

Am I the only one confused as to why McVay hasn't incorporated a package of plays for this kid?
He seems big enough to also contribute on special teams in some fashion. Is he not tough enough?

I'd get it if the offense was putting up points left and right, but he looks like a wasted potential weapon to me. Especially with the redzone struggles. At the very least give opponents something else to prepare for like the Saints do with Taysom Hill.

Also, Akers, a former QB, can throw the football pretty well. Are the Rams saving this gift for something?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Thought I read here he was taking over the starting job soon. :biggrin:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just going from those highlights I’m not sure how much of that will translate in the NFL. He doesn’t have elite speed (4.55) to where he is a nightmare though he is very fast compared to most QBs. Idk if I’m right but I feel like those gadget qb play calls don’t work all that often.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Another QB thread??? can we lock all QB threads and just roll them into one? Name it "The ONLY QB thread"

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I had to guess, it's two things:

First, McVay has shown to be very selective in who he lets play on offense. This makes me think that the mental capacity needed for this offense to function is high. While most of us have wanted Jefferson over Reynolds, I'd imagine there were a ton of plays where Reynolds needed to be right at THAT spot for the play to work, and then obviously run blocking. While it wouldn't be a stretch to throw in a read option here or there, since he obviously did that for Wolford, that brings me to number two...

Second, we as fans don't much care who the 44th 45th and 46th active guys on gameday are - but I can see NFL coaches caring very much for special teams and backups at potential positions that injuries might occur. I could be mistaken but I think most NFL teams only have two active QBs on gameday. That would turn it into a question of Perkins vs Wolford, which obviously, if something were to happen to Goff, we'd want Wolford.

That's my take, so not really confused by McVay not wanting to do it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just going from those highlights I’m not sure how much of that will translate in the NFL. He doesn’t have elite speed (4.55) to where he is a nightmare though he is very fast compared to most QBs. Idk if I’m right but I feel like those gadget qb play calls don’t work all that often.

4.55 is faster that what Jalen Hurts ran and the Eagles had a package for him. Sure, there coach got fired, but the premise made sense to me. I'd just like to see a bit more creativity considered on an offense that is struggling. At the very least it gives the opponents something to think about instead of just running the same plays from different formations or using the same formation to run different plays. McVay is a great offensive mind, but Shanahan seems to be more creative, IMO.

Even Cam Akers should have attempted at least one pass by now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I had to guess, it's two things:

First, McVay has shown to be very selective in who he lets play on offense. This makes me think that the mental capacity needed for this offense to function is high. While most of us have wanted Jefferson over Reynolds, I'd imagine there were a ton of plays where Reynolds needed to be right at THAT spot for the play to work, and then obviously run blocking. While it wouldn't be a stretch to throw in a read option here or there, since he obviously did that for Wolford, that brings me to number two...

Second, we as fans don't much care who the 44th 45th and 46th active guys on gameday are - but I can see NFL coaches caring very much for special teams and backups at potential positions that injuries might occur. I could be mistaken but I think most NFL teams only have two active QBs on gameday. That would turn it into a question of Perkins vs Wolford, which obviously, if something were to happen to Goff, we'd want Wolford.

That's my take, so not really confused by McVay not wanting to do it.

That's why I questioned whether or not he was tough enough to contribute on special teams. And they are supposedly going to have 3 QBs active this week so we know it's possible.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He reminds me of Deshaun Watson, but he’s not the natural thrower Watson is. Love how he can make a DL miss in the pocket.
I like his skill set though. Hope to get preseason back to see him in some game action in fall 2021.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4.55 is faster that what Jalen Hurts ran and the Eagles had a package for him. Sure, there coach got fired, but the premise made sense to me. I'd just like to see a bit more creativity considered on an offense that is struggling. At the very least it gives the opponents something to think about instead of just running the same plays from different formations or using the same formation to run different plays. McVay is a great offensive mind, but Shanahan seems to be more creative, IMO.

Even Cam Akers should have attempted at least one pass by now.

Jalen Hurts is the actual backup QB. Perkins spent the year on the PS. If he's not your #2 QB, it makes no sense to have him active unless he can play special teams and contribute in other ways like Taysom Hill. They either don't see him as that sort of player or don't want to subject him to that sort of punishment.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Another QB thread??? can we lock all QB threads and just roll them into one? Name it "The ONLY QB thread"
Agree, everyone has a right to their opinions but all this Qb B.S. is just that.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Perkins can be electric and is totally capable for some spot duty but I think it’s all about numbers. He’s not going to be a STs guy. So McVay and company needs bodies elsewhere. I’m sure Akers and Hekker being able to throw the ball makes keeping Perkins inactive on game day an easier decision. Those last few roster spots are all about versatility. Right now, Perkins is just a QB. A third RB will always get the nod.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Perkins had another year at UVA he'd be a household name. This year was like a redshirt year for him but for sure he'll be in the mix come TC 2021

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I should have made the title "More Offensive Creativity Needed", as not to offend some.
If McVay is so enthralled with Wolford as he currently appears to be, I dont understand why he hasnt been used the way you are suggesting for Perkins. How many short yardage situations have we seen this year that we just knew they wouldnt convert? Hopefully going forward they think about adding these wrinkles, and Perkins would be a great option. Looking at the Saints, and the gadget plays they've used for Taysom, why not Perkins in that role next year? Taysom wasnt even the backup QB.
The can add the running dimension without replacing Goff, I dont know why it seems its one or the other

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I guess I should have made the title "More Offensive Creativity Needed", as not to offend some.
Memphis seen your post for years,I mean No Offense towards you.

You're a Very Good Poster. I just have issue's with All these Qb post and that's on me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, for those not liking QB threads, wait till the draft, when I will be pounding the table for Kyle Trask or Jamie Newman...Bryce Perkins is highly intelligent and has the ability to extend plays, won some games on his own, so, maybe the Rams won't draft a QB in 2021 because of the development of Perkins.

He also dons #5 and I always liked that number for a QB, FWIW, plus I become much smarter every time @Memphis Ram posts.

1610633275859.png

1610633317670.png

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If any of you are looking for your posts in this thread and they are now missing...

I completely got rid of that ridiculous post... and of course any that were attached to it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
If any of you are looking for your posts in this thread and they are now missing...

I completely got rid of that ridiculous post... and of course any that were attached to it.
Sorry I largely ignored this thread then :)