GAME DAY Preseason Week 2 - Texans at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
If the Rams only want to carry two QBs on the 53 roster they will have to keep Perkins and sign Wolford to the PS as he probably would clear waivers. There is no way I see them releasing Perkins.

Bryce is an ERFA next year then a RFA in 2024. With Stafford's arm a concern this assures them that Bryce is under their control through 2024. Perkins clearly showed he's the better QB tonight it's not even close.

McCutcheon shouldn't play next week. IMO he's shown enough to make the team. With Jefferson, Tutu and McCutcheon that probably closes the door on OBJ barring injuries. Another year of development for Harris and they will be 6 deep at WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
wow McVay likes both his backups and says they're evaluating the backup role. All comes down to the film. He was pleased with both guys.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1560858588712779777

3vU6.gif

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If the Rams only want to carry two QBs on the 53 roster they will have to keep Perkins and sign Wolford to the PS as he probably would clear waivers. There is no way I see them releasing Perkins.

Bryce is an ERFA next year then a RFA in 2024. With Stafford's arm a concern this assures them that Bryce is under their control through 2024. Perkins clearly showed he's the better QB tonight it's not even close.

McCutcheon shouldn't play next week. IMO he's shown enough to make the team. With Jefferson, Tutu and McCutcheon that probably closes the door on OBJ barring injuries. Another year of development for Harris and they will be 6 deep at WR.
We'll see.

The difference in arm strength between the two is startling.. Perkins just has no zip at all.

Wolford was just fine.. his oline wasn't helping him and he was going against the Texans starting D.

McVay says they're evaluating both of them.. guess we'll find out what that means. Perkins is fun.. but if I want someone to run the offense as close to what it would be with Stafford, there's not a contest between the two, it's Wolford.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
From what I’ve noticed the last 2 weeks is AJ Jackson looks better at RG than LT?
A friend of mine just got done watching it live. He said Perkins looked Great. An example of the difference is the run Mcvay had to challenge. Wolford doesn’t have the special athletic abilities Perkins has.
The way it went down tonight. Wolford should be a little worried ?

Nope !

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Man if we could somehow combine Wolford and Perkins we'd have a great backup QB.
Funny you should say that. If they keep both, I could see a reasoning that they would use both. Wolford 80% of the time maybe, but put a package in for Perkins.

Might be an edge you would need to survive a few games if Stafford misses time. It forces Def coordinators to game plan for both QBs for diff situations.

Just a thought. Just a way of improving a bad situation if you lose Stafford.

Otherwise I don't see Perkins as being a viable back up, yet I see why they would hate to lose his raw talent.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
From what I’ve noticed the last 2 weeks is AJ Jackson looks better at RG than LT?
A friend of mine just got done watching it live. He said Perkins looked Great. An example of the difference is the run Mcvay had to challenge. Wolford doesn’t have the special athletic abilities Perkins has.
The way it went down tonight. Wolford should be a little worried ?
Perkins is perfect for Preseason. Plays break down and his raw talent can rescue those busted plays and can also take advantage of opposing rookie mistakes, like broken containment etc.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Wolford was 14 for 22 for 140 yds and was under constant duress going against the starting Texans defense.

Put both with the starting offense and it wouldn't be close. Kupp and Robinson would not produce near enough with Perkins at QB, but Wolford would be able to utilize them at a much higher level.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Perkins is perfect for Preseason. Plays break down and his raw talent can rescue those busted plays and can also take advantage of opposing rookie mistakes, like broken containment etc.

Big Whitworth was loving it. The broadcast started the topic of why is Wolford playing? Is it because Perkins is playing well?

Fair Enough but Perkins like I said from the start is going to make The Rams roster or get traded. Now I think Wolford might be scared a little?

Agree he is a good preseason & practice squad QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wolford was 14 for 22 for 140 yds and was under constant duress going against the starting Texans defense.

Put both with the starting offense and it wouldn't be close. Kupp and Robinson would not produce near enough with Perkins at QB, but Wolford would be able to utilize them at a much higher level.

Well Akers dropped 2 passes right in his hands

dang

Legend
From what I saw.
The Good - McCutcheon, J Williams, Hopkins, Rochelle, Trammel, T Carter, Gay/Dixon and Perkins.
The Bad - Bruss, Evans, L Akers, Hummel, T Hall and Lowe
The Ugly - first half OL, the run game.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Funny you should say that. If they keep both, I could see a reasoning that they would use both. Wolford 80% of the time maybe, but put a package in for Perkins.

Might be an edge you would need to survive a few games if Stafford misses time. It forces Def coordinators to game plan for both QBs for diff situations.

Just a thought. Just a way of improving a bad situation if you lose Stafford.

Otherwise I don't see Perkins as being a viable back up, yet I see why they would hate to lose his raw talent.
Yea for sure we could, and I think we will definitely keep 3 QBs again. Perkins is a great athlete with good size and a playmaker who has a good feel for the game, but he just doesn't have good arm talent so he'll never be anything more than a backup. Wolford is tiny but has an okay arm, sees the field decently but holds onto the ball too long.

Looking at other team's backup QBs ours are pretty terrible talent wise. I mean look at the arm talent from the Texans backup QBs. They both threw great deep 40-50 yard bombs right on the money. I think we need to pull the plug after this year on Wolford or Perkins, let one go and draft a legit QB prospect who McVay likes. Someone with a good arm that could be something with one of our mid to late round picks

MachS

Hall of Fame
The difference in arm strength between the two is startling.. Perkins just has no zip at all.
Bingo. The reality is Wolfords arm isnt that good either. If Stafford goes down we're fucked regardless, but we need to draft a QB as neither of these two are talented enough throwers.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Perkins isnt getting away from 1st string starting DL/OLBs though. Keep in mind we watch him in the preseason versus bad competition. Once he's got nick bosa or von miller, or grady Jarrett, micah parsons, brian burns, JPP, shaq barrett...hes not getting away. And those are just from our first 6 opponents. Perfect for preseason like you said but if we had to rely on him to start games omg it would get ugly fast.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like Perkins limitations and potential more than Wolfords.

Both lack the arm strength to run our offense like Stafford in the event that they have to start some games.
If either were used, the game plan would change to capitalize on their skills.

Neither have all the tools you hope to see but Perkins steady growth and faster processing and release this season is noticeable while Wolford feels like he is what he is...

JW will keep his #2 gig and Perkins will get plucked off waivers... but I would rather hold onto the latter if I'm being honest.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
You all have covered it for me pretty well. The OL looks terrible to me. They couldn't run or pass block at all in the first half. They really need to figure that out.

The young DBs are legit!! Can't wait until they really get their feet under them.

I actually thought Mina did a great job. I like her voice and she knows her football. I love our Jourdan, but her voice would drive me bat shit if I had to listen to it on a broadcast. 11 Personnel podcast listeners would know what I mean. And how DARE anyone question Fievel Mousekewitz!! Siciliano is one of my favorite media personalities and the hands down best RedZone host on the planet!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Perkins isnt getting away from 1st string starting DL/OLBs though. Keep in mind we watch him in the preseason versus bad competition. Once he's got nick bosa or von miller, or grady Jarrett, micah parsons, brian burns, JPP, shaq barrett...hes not getting away. And those are just from our first 6 opponents. Perfect for preseason like you said but if we had to rely on him to start games omg it would get ugly fast.
Umm...that was kind of my point in regards to taking advantage of rookie mistakes and also no game planning against him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Big Whitworth was loving it. The broadcast started the topic of why is Wolford playing? Is it because Perkins is playing well?

Fair Enough but Perkins like I said from the start is going to make The Rams roster or get traded. Now I think Wolford might be scared a little?

Agree he is a good preseason & practice squad QB.
Well, Big Whit thought they might kick a FG down 4 so not sure I put a lot of credence into his comments.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I only get the Texans announcers he in Texas and those guys are awful.
New York too ... Jets and Giants are terrible. Have been for years. It's not jus the Rams' announcers.

It's much of the local coverage for preseason games. In most cases, these are announcers that only do preseason football. So, naturally, they tend to be weak.