GAME DAY Preseason Week 2 - Texans at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hate to say it, but they’d be better off cutting both and picking up a QB waived by someone else.
Oh, IDK about that, who? All teams have issues unless they've drafted someone. Those two know the system and can work within it. Not sure anyone being cut, would be an upgrade IMHO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know dieter, Perkins makes plays plus he seems to energize the players around him. I still give the edge to Wolford, but I am starting to think Perkins is more than fodder.

Let me add if the Rams cut Perkins, he gets claimed quick, if they cut Wolford, I'm not so sure he gets claimed.
He makes plays in the 2nd half of pre-season games against guys who's best chance at pro ball is the USFL or XFL. Would someone pick him up? I dont know, I suppose anything is possible. He's not NFL quality, so who cares if he's on another team? Wolford would get picked up, because teams would love to pick his brain about the Rams offense and McVay etc.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He makes plays in the 2nd half of pre-season games against guys who's best chance at pro ball is the USFL or XFL. Would someone pick him up? I dont know, I suppose anything is possible. He's not NFL quality, so who cares if he's on another team? Wolford would get picked up, because teams would love to pick his brain about the Rams offense and McVay etc.
Well, it's been reported one of the reasons that Perkins chose the Rams was because of Kevin O'Connell so I'm sure the Vikings would be first in line. Overall I liked him at Virginia so I might be a tad biased, but agreed he has not done anything against major competition.

fearsomefour

Legend
wow McVay likes both his backups and says they're evaluating the backup role. All comes down to the film. He was pleased with both guys.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1560858588712779777

Interesting competition.
Wolfords play on 4th and 2, hanging in the pocket and making a nice throw to his 3rd or 4th option to get the first....that was the best passing play of the game imho.
Id still give a slight edge to Wolford.
Time will tell.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, it's been reported one of the reasons that Perkins chose the Rams was because of Kevin O'Connell so I'm sure the Vikings would be first in line. Overall I liked him at Virginia so I might be a tad biased, but agreed he has not done anything against major competition.
I would expect the Vikings and Bengals to nab a couple of our guys each.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Wolford has no competition for the #2 job, Perkins is just pre-season fodder
Wolford also sucks, and Rams are doomed if he plays any significant time
Lol pretty much where I'm at. We still don't know what kind of QB McVay would covet in the draft because he's never drafted one. I think he'd go for a dual threat prospect but who knows. Hope we draft one next year.

MachS

Hall of Fame
When it comes to Wolford all we can do is hope playing with the starters will be better than having to run for your life with backup turnstiles, er, linemen protecting him.
Yea he would play better with starters and could win a game or two, but we're not doing anything with him in the playoffs. I thought ARob and Kupp both would've made that back shoulder catch he threw to Harris down the left sideline in the 1st qtr. That was a pretty nice throw, was disappointed with Harris' effort on that one.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Another thought.. if Mccutcheon continues to develop and makes the team which it seems like he will, and Tutu shows a big 2nd year leap which by all accounts he has...and Skow make a 2nd year jump as well.. we will be so damn stacked at WR. There are teams like DAL, GB, IND who have shit depth at WR. Not to mention the possibility of bringing back OBJ which I'm finding harder and harder to see now. Should we trade Van for a 3rd-5th rounder assuming Tutu/Skow/Cutch all keep taking steps?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lol pretty much where I'm at. We still don't know what kind of QB McVay would covet in the draft because he's never drafted one. I think he'd go for a dual threat prospect but who knows. Hope we draft one next year.
I think above all else he’s going to look for someone that is intelligent when it comes to football. The offense demands it, and it’s part of the reason Wolford is the backup.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's funny. Why Perkins "chose" the Rams? Undrafted free agent, hardly in high demand. In any event, I was a huge fan of his at UVA, he played phenomenal against Notre Dame and I thought had he played 1 more year in college, he'd have been drafted in first couple rounds. That said, being a fan of his doesnt excuse his lack of arm strength. He's fun to watch in these games, and I look forward to seeing more of it next week. But thats about his ceiling. Reminds me of a pre-season QB from a bunch of years ago, Thad Lewis. Different player, Thad was a much better passer, but he was great in pre-season and hated seeing him go. But he sucked too and bounced around a bit. Alas.... If it were up to me, I'd keep Perkins as a #3/hybrid player. He'd be an active player like a Taysom Hill, get him some plays. Unfortunately I dont think they have the room for that because McCutcheon is making the team

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't go too crazy backing me :D I'm wrong more than I'm right haha

As with most backup QB's in the NFL you're not going to win a lot with them unless the rest of the team around them is extremely good.
It would help if McVay & his offensive coaches could finally develop some type of a running game that could help the backup QB. Even 100 yds of run yardage would be of great help.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Man... hope Bruss is okay with the knee injury but he is looking rough in pass protection. Guys gonna need some seasoning.

Though, there was at least one play where he had to come off his guy... cause Evans is so brutal.

It's Coleman Shelton's world! And we're just living in it.

fearsomefour

Legend
He inherited a pocket passer in Goff. McVay had an opportunity to go after a QB and he chose another pocket passer.
Wolford is a pocket passer first and foremost.
He would want a pocket passer with high football IQ.

Tano

Legend
Man... hope Bruss is okay with the knee injury but he is looking rough in pass protection. Guys gonna need some seasoning.

Though, there was at least one play where he had to come off his guy... cause Evans is so brutal.

It's Coleman Shelton's world! And we're just living in it.
I think what you said may account for a lot of Bruss's issue. Evans is so brutal that there is no communication between Bruss and Evans and as a result, Bruss gets beat thinking he is supposed to help out Evans guy and Evans is supposed to take Bruss's guy. Or something like that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FansOaXVEAEMho3

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think what you said may account for a lot of Bruss's issue. Evans is so brutal that there is no communication between Bruss and Evans and as a result, Bruss gets beat thinking he is supposed to help out Evans guy and Evans is supposed to take Bruss's guy. Or something like that.

I think that's being pretty generous to Bruss. It's an issue but it seemed like Bruss has some technique issues with his pass set irrespective of Evans. Just prob needs at least a season of work. Hope he's not hurt bad.