Power cut to 1.5 million Californians

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
My wife worked worked for the city for a couple of years in Public Works. She was there when they instituted rationing back in 2015.

That's bad but Solvang may have you beat. I had/have clients in the Valley and when they talk about their water rates it's BEYOND absurd.
Solvang.....little Solvang is the problem?
God people are daft.
You know what is needed. An Fing bullet train.
Thankfully that got shelved.

oldnotdead

Legend
These people didn't learn shit. I have friends and family up north and they are all laughing because their homes still were brightly lit and their fridges were still working. They all and mean all bought Generac systems or the equivalent. They all have solar panels on their homes purchased via the solar panel program here in CA. They simply bought a storage unit to hold that charge for use in times of power outage. You can buy a basic emergency generator (gasoline powered) that will automatically come on if power is out that will power your entire home and I've seen units for around $3K which isn't that much when you think about it. Most people have more on their credit cards for purchasing BS. I had a Generac gasoline generator for my home in SD and needed it once or twice a year.

I used to do work for SDG&E and know how corrupt the utilities are. But to SDG&E credit they are undergoing extensive system wide modifications that began before the fires and are still on going. It includes wind proofing and replacing all wood poles with steel poles. I know because I was part of that project.

Bottom line people need to wake up and realize this is a different time we live in. We all need to be more self sufficient and I can think of no better place to start than securing your home's power source.

Fatboy

Rookie
@Fatboy you doing ok? Had an employee who had to call in cause they cut her electricity off in PP. Heck they even cut power to the cell towers!
Yea we are fine, it is tough when the cable and internet go down. Power might go off again today. -- the Fatboy

fearsomefour

Legend
These people didn't learn shit. I have friends and family up north and they are all laughing because their homes still were brightly lit and their fridges were still working. They all and mean all bought Generac systems or the equivalent. They all have solar panels on their homes purchased via the solar panel program here in CA. They simply bought a storage unit to hold that charge for use in times of power outage. You can buy a basic emergency generator (gasoline powered) that will automatically come on if power is out that will power your entire home and I've seen units for around $3K which isn't that much when you think about it. Most people have more on their credit cards for purchasing BS. I had a Generac gasoline generator for my home in SD and needed it once or twice a year.

I used to do work for SDG&E and know how corrupt the utilities are. But to SDG&E credit they are undergoing extensive system wide modifications that began before the fires and are still on going. It includes wind proofing and replacing all wood poles with steel poles. I know because I was part of that project.

Bottom line people need to wake up and realize this is a different time we live in. We all need to be more self sufficient and I can think of no better place to start than securing your home's power source.
My folks did the solar as well.
It’s been great.
Their power bill went from about $150 a month to kn average about $5 a month, some months they have a surplus.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s been great.
Their power bill went from about $150 a month to kn average about $5 a month, some months they have a surplus.
At night are they still dependent upon the power company?

fearsomefour

Legend
At night are they still dependent upon the power company?
They have not had any blackouts.
They have storage so I don’t know if they draw from that during the night or not.
My mother is a night owl so she is usually up until 1-2 am. I assume they are not drawing from the power company with their bill that low.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s been great.
My mom is in the San Diego area and they have so many panels they get money back from the power company.

oldnotdead

Legend
The only reason I didn't go solar on my home was because I knew I would be selling it in a few years. I wanted the money because the so called added value wasn't there. But if I knew I was going to live there permanently I definitely would have gone solar with storage. My neighbor got it and dropped his SDG&E bill from $300/mo to $20/mo. On my suggestion he got storage just as I sold the home. Last I heard he was extremely happy with it. I think it should be mandatory that all new homes be built with solar & storage.

My family simply goes off the grid when they go to bed. The storage unit is enough to run the security system and fridge with a few lights off and on. TV and computers and especially AC, drain it fast so they simply stay on the grid until they are done or for as long as the AC is on. Americans are so complacent they assume nothing will touch them and go into panic mode when it does.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Well, at least in FL we wait until a storm comes before we lose power. But I have my generator to keep the Beer cold, the TV and internet on and the window shaker keeping the room cool. :giggle:

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Well, at least in FL we wait until a storm comes before we lose power. But I have my generator to keep the Beer cold, the TV and internet on and the window shaker keeping the room cool. :giggle:
I love it, "window shaker".:LOL: You must have a good sized generator. Too bad a swamp cooler won't do in FL since it draws much less power.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
You know what's missing from all these $300/mo down to $5/mo stories?
The $30-40,000 price tab for solar.
Even with 20 year financing, you're at $300/mo minimum.
Even with a transferable lease, you're still at a minimum of $200.
Even with the 25-33% tax credit, (which btw, you have to owe before you can take advantage of it).

Looked at it real hard this year, and it just doesn't pencil, although granted, being 71 has a lot to do with it. If I was 50 I would have pulled the trigger.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You know what's missing from all these $300/mo down to $5/mo stories?
The $30-40,000 price tab for solar.
Even with 20 year financing, you're at $300/mo minimum.
Even with a transferable lease, you're still at a minimum of $200.
Even with the 25-33% tax credit, (which btw, you have to owe before you can take advantage of it).

Looked at it real hard this year, and it just doesn't pencil, although granted, being 71 has a lot to do with it. If I was 50 I would have pulled the trigger.

I'm 30 and won't consider it. For all the time spent on finding alternatives to energy, the easiest and best way is to reduce your resource consumption.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I wonder if this above event had any effect on PG&E?;)

I have worked hard for over a decade to insure my family is fully backed up down here in the rural deep south in so many ways. Power goes off no problem.... a Propane powered 11 K Generac Generator comes on instantly for many years now years with no issues.

The purchase of numerous propane portable powered generators to use where needed. Another back up is a 35 ft TT that runs off of DC batteries & Propane gas & portable generators. Has everything the home has but condensed in size.

Not sure that CA would allow me to be set up like I am here because it takes away their ability to control me & my family members. I would think that my many large tanks of Diesel/Gas & Propane tanks might be considered WMD's in my birthstate CA.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I love it, "window shaker".:LOL: You must have a good sized generator. Too bad a swamp cooler won't do in FL since it draws much less power.
6,000 watts. Not bad. The key is the window shaker is for one large room. What we do is block off one side of the house with plastic over the door that leads to the hallway. That side of the house, Bedrooms, and bathroom, stays cool. I've learned over the years that as long as you can sleep in cool tempurtures what happens during the day is moot. I can run my two fridges, toaster oven, window shaker, internet, tvs, and a few other things without taxing the generator too bad. Uses about 5 gallons over 24 hours.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
6,000 watts. Not bad. The key is the window shaker is for one large room. What we do is block off one side of the house with plastic over the door that leads to the hallway. That side of the house, Bedrooms, and bathroom, stays cool. I've learned over the years that as long as you can sleep in cool tempurtures what happens during the day is moot. I can run my two fridges, toaster oven, window shaker, internet, tvs, and a few other things without taxing the generator too bad. Uses about 5 gallons over 24 hours.
You definitely have it figured out. You're right about sleep. Bad sleep leads to a worse day. I would do the opposite here. A/C from mid day to early evening since it cools down nice at night. A small fan at most which doesn't draw squat. Keeping the fridges and freezer running is always a concern.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You definitely have it figured out. You're right about sleep. Bad sleep leads to a worse day. I would do the opposite here. A/C from mid day to early evening since it cools down nice at night. A small fan at most which doesn't draw squat. Keeping the fridges and freezer running is always a concern.
You east TN boys have it made being in those Smokey Mountain foothills in getting that relief cool down @ night. Us flat-landers have no such luck.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
You east TN boys have it made being in those Smokey Mountain foothills in getting that relief cool down @ night. Us flat-landers have no such luck.
Yes summer time is much more pleasant here. But I'd trade you for the months of December- February!;)