Power cut to 1.5 million Californians

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Might be tough watching the Rams vs. 49ers in NorCal.

SONOMA, Calif. (AP) — More than 1.5 million people in Northern California were in the dark Thursday, most for a second day, after the state’s biggest utility shut off electricity to many areas to prevent its equipment from sparking wildfires as strong winds sweep through.
Unprecedented in scope, the deliberate outages by Pacific Gas & Electric forced schools and businesses to close and otherwise disrupted life for many people, bringing criticism down on the company from the governor and ordinary customers alike.
PG&E cast the blackouts as a matter of public safety, aimed at preventing the kind of blazes that have killed scores of people over the past couple of years, destroyed thousands of homes, and run up tens of billions of dollars in claims that drove the utility into bankruptcy.

The shut-offs could be just a glimpse of what lies ahead for California as climate change contributes to more ferocious blazes and longer fire seasons.
“It’s just kind of scary. It feels worse than Y2K. We don’t know how long,” Tianna Pasche of Oakland said before her area was powered down. “My two kids, their school situation keeps moving every second. It’s not clear if we need to pack for a week and go out of town or what to do. So I’m just trying to make sure we have water, food, charging stations and gas.”
But she added: “If it saves a life, I’m not going to complain about it.”
On Wednesday, PG&E cut power to an estimated 600,000 customers in the San Francisco Bay Area — where wind gusts reached 70 mph (110 kph) early Thursday — as well as wine country north of San Francisco, the agricultural Central Valley and the Sierra Nevada foothills, where a November wildfire blamed on PG&E transmission lines killed 85 people and all but incinerated the town of Paradise. The city of San Francisco itself was not in the shut-off zone.
PG&E warned that customers might have to do without power for days after the winds subside because “every inch” of the system must be inspected by helicopters and thousands of workers on the ground and declared safe before the grid is reactivated.
Ahead of the outages, announced earlier this week, Californians rushed to stock up on flashlights, batteries, bottled water, ice and coolers, took money out of ATMs and filled their gas tanks.
The University of California, Berkeley canceled classes for a second day because the campus had no electricity. Oakland closed several schools.

One of the areas where the power was shut off was the suburban town of Moraga, where about 100 homes were ordered evacuated as a wildfire spread in the hills early Thursday.
Gov. Gavin Newsom said PG&E should have been working on making its power system sturdier and more weatherproof.
“They’re in bankruptcy due to their terrible management going back decades,” he said. “They’ve created these conditions. It was unnecessary.”
Faced with customer anger, PG&E put up barricades around its San Francisco headquarters. A customer threw eggs at a PG&E office in Oroville. A PG&E truck was hit by a bullet, but authorities could not immediately say whether it was targeted.
“We realize and understand the impact and the hardship,” said Sumeet Singh, head of PG&E’s Community Wildfire Safety Program. But he urged people not to take it out on PG&E employees.
In the El Dorado Hills east of Sacramento, Ruth Self and her son took the outage there in stride while leaving a Safeway supermarket that had been stripped nearly bare of bottled water and ice. Self said she wasn’t upset, given the lives lost in Paradise, where people were burned in their cars trying to escape.
“I just can’t imagine,” she said. “Hopefully (the outages) are only for a couple days. I think it’s more of a positive than a negative. Ask me again on Friday night when I haven’t had a shower in two days, when I’ve had to spend two days playing card games.”
Meanwhile, Southern California Edison warned that it might cut power to nearly 174,000 customers in nine counties, including Los Angeles. San Diego Gas & Electric notified about 30,000 customers they could lose electricity in backcountry areas.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@Fatboy you doing ok? Had an employee who had to call in cause they cut her electricity off in PP. Heck they even cut power to the cell towers!

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Electricity? Who needs it!
Why The Flintstones Takes Place in a Post-Apocalyptic Future

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And people here wanted to turn our power companies into the same thing.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
The premise of this is all BS. This could go locked-thread if we discussed it honestly. That article was moronic. Typical C student media hack.

We were told our neighborhood would go black in Rocklin, but it turned out we were ok. The schools were supposed to be closed. My daughter was pretty excited. Then we found out at 5am yesterday, the power would stay on. But there is a lady that lives a couple miles from us on oxygen, and her relatives had to move her to a different location. Traffic out of the Bay Area was horrible the other night. Lots of people headed to their Tahoe places, I suppose.

Shutting off power to people is not going to prevent fires. Clearing away brush in a sensible way is a much better safety step, among other things.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Shutting off power to people is not going to prevent fires. Clearing away brush in a sensible way is a much better safety step, among other things.
Yeah it's really about saving money. They won't pay what is necessary to maintain the system. So they deny the service to the customer. Doubt they will adjust the minimum charge for days of denied service either. Hang in there! Beat the crowd and get the California Special Eco-Home Theatre experience while you can.;)

system.jpg

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I guess they think it's cheaper to deny service than it is to maintain equipment.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Yeah it's really about saving money. They won't pay what is necessary to maintain the system. So they deny the service to the customer. Doubt they will adjust the minimum charge for days of denied service either. Hang in there!
I have a client that worked in the power industry that shared something with me kind of interesting- when the utility went public years ago they became more accountable to shareholders, and cut back on brush removal services, to show more profit. There may be some truth to that.

Some communities also place road block to being able to perform those services- environmental reasons, zoning, etc.

Those reasons, and older lines that are gradually being replaced. It will take some time for that all to happen.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Generators people.

Because of extended power outages here due to hurricanes that typically happen yearly... I got a big ass generator. This year I bought another one... now I have 2 just in case. Live without power (and AC) for a week or more here in FL and you'll be over prepared going forward. I even have a portable AC unit now. Being without power sucks major ass.

The power companies here are scumbags. I've had to report mine to the Utilities Commission. They jumped right to attention with me after that. I felt like I was a supervisor for Duke Energy after I reported them.

Something else that pisses me off about them. One of my friends lives on the same street as a real big wig for Duke Energy. My friend had recently moved here form LA and didn't know what to expect from hurricanes at all. He was freaking out about it trying to prepare. He asked his Duke Energy neighbor about getting a generator. His neighbor told him that the 1st areas to be restored from power outages are always the areas Duke Energy employees live. His street in particular is always one of the 1st to be restored. Pisses me the fuck off.... I obviously don't have any Duke boys living close enough to me.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Welcome to the 19th Century.

Garbage like this that convinced us to leave that hell-hole.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Welcome to the 19th Century.

Garbage like this that convinced us to leave that hell-hole.
It spreads like a virus. AZ and TX the new frontier of infection.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Wildfires used to be considered natural disasters, but since the state of CA refuses to maintain its forests they had to put the blame on someone. I dont agree with the power shut off, but PG&E has no choice. If the state is going to place PG&E responsible for fires started by high winds and literally tons of dead vegetation, then power outages are PG&Es way of protecting themselves. Of course the huge bonuses they are paying out makes it easy to be angry with the way they are doing business. But if wildfires started by high winds were still natural disasters PG&E wouldnt have to protect themselves.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Wildfires used to be considered natural disasters, but since the state of CA refuses to maintain its forests they had to put the blame on someone. I dont agree with the power shut off, but PG&E has no choice. If the state is going to place PG&E responsible for fires started by high winds and literally tons of dead vegetation, then power outages are PG&Es way of protecting themselves. Of course the huge bonuses they are paying out makes it easy to be angry with the way they are doing business. But if wildfires started by high winds were still natural disasters PG&E wouldnt have to protect themselves.

This is it, in a nutshell. My best friend from childhood has a very high position at PG&E right now. Let's just say, his life is a living hell.

He was telling me months ago before all this came down that they were battling the State regarding liability, but there is a lot of propaganda out there because PG&E is the chosen deep-pockets bogie-man. A lot of the maintenance of the lines in the areas of the fires was managed by Cal-Fire as well, but most of the public doesn't hear about this. The end user, (namely, me, and other PG&E customers,) end up paying the price in rate hikes.

Lawyers drink up the blood.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
This is it, in a nutshell. My best friend from childhood has a very high position at PG&E right now. Let's just say, his life is a living hell.

He was telling me months ago before all this came down that they were battling the State regarding liability, but there is a lot of propaganda out there because PG&E is the chosen deep-pockets bogie-man. A lot of the maintenance of the lines in the areas of the fires was managed by Cal-Fire as well, but most of the public doesn't hear about this. The end user, (namely, me, and other PG&E customers,) end up paying the price in rate hikes.

Lawyers drink up the blood.
Yeah, it's hard to feel sorry for a company that has a monopoly. I've lived in CA being forced into PG&E and I live in Texas now where I have a choice. Choices are better.

It's not like PG&E gets held accountable in any way for the prices and practices it uses. There is no force of any kind encouraging them to do anything other than gouge for dollars, so that's what they do. Now they're facing retribution for something they can't control... Too damn bad. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's hard to feel sorry for a company that has a monopoly. I've lived in CA being forced into PG&E and I live in Texas now where I have a choice. Choices are better.

It's not like PG&E gets held accountable in any way for the prices and practices it uses. There is no force of any kind encouraging them to do anything other than gouge for dollars, so that's what they do. Now they're facing retribution for something they can't control... Too damn bad. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

I agree, to a large extent. Believe me, true competition is the answer to a LOT of complicated issues. But, again, not just in this case, but the consumers always pay the price.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Something else that pisses me off about them. One of my friends lives on the same street as a real big wig for Duke Energy. My friend had recently moved here form LA and didn't know what to expect from hurricanes at all. He was freaking out about it trying to prepare. He asked his Duke Energy neighbor about getting a generator. His neighbor told him that the 1st areas to be restored from power outages are always the areas Duke Energy employees live. His street in particular is always one of the 1st to be restored. Pisses me the fuck off.... I obviously don't have any Duke boys living close enough to me.

I've heard different myths about power getting restored, and I don't know what to believe honestly.

Hospitals first, grocery stores first, gas stations first, I've heard it all.

Irma came through and left plenty of people without power for days, in some cases two weeks. You're 100% right, not having power is terrible.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

It’s a dammed if you do dammed if you don’t situation with clearing brush etc from forests.
If you remove it you get landslides / mudslides and if you keep it you get fires. Not so simple. Just ask the 28 people who died here in Montecito last year.

The issue is overpopulation and lack of rain