(Poll) Who would you start this weekend? The Wolford/Goff Collection Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB are you starting?

• The Wolf

• Perkins

• Bortles

• Hekker the Wrecker

• Case Keenum

• Cam Akers

• Dieter Brock

Results are only viewable after voting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the good news for us, we'll know if we need to win next week to make the playoffs by the time our game starts. If Chicago loses, we don't need to win to make the playoffs. In that scenario, I could see McVay sitting Goff (if it's a 50/50 call on whether he can play).

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Rubley yikes. Pretty much all the Ram QBs post Vince Ferragamo until Everett were abhorrent.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to see how another QB operates under McVay’s offense.

Im not gonna lie I am curious about this as well.

Here's the good news for us, we'll know if we need to win next week to make the playoffs by the time our game starts. If Chicago loses, we don't need to win to make the playoffs. In that scenario, I could see McVay sitting Goff (if it's a 50/50 call on whether he can play).

Yeah, was just thinking this too.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Wolford is mobile. He's not as athletic as Perkins, but I expect McVay would rather have somebody who knows the system well and is capable of protecting the ball. But I have no idea what the plan will be.

I have to think the plan will be the same. The system is not overly complex. Wolford at least what I remember against BC is he can handle this and probably fits his skill set.

Ellard80

Legend

i thought about that also... but still need more info about the thumb.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing about Wolford, when he rolls out he will hit those edges much faster. The kid has some ability outside of the pocket that we aren't used to seeing. Here is an article from beginning of this season for some light reading of this possibility.

Backup QB John Wolford to play Cowboys’ Dak Prescott in practice for Rams
Wake Forest product will use his movement skills to lead scout squad
ERIC D. WILLIAMS SEP 8, 2020
Fast and nimble, Los Angeles Rams quarterback John Wolford was one of the most impressive players during training camp.

“I feel ready,” Wolford said. “I’m confident in my abilities, and confident in my ability to run this offense. It’s something I prepped for my entire life. I’ve played a lot of football, between college and the AAF (Alliance of American Football), and this is kind of the next step.”

Of course, the Rams already have a franchise quarterback in Jared Goff, but the Wolford will still get a chance to put his skills to work this week, running the scout team in practice and impersonating Dallas Cowboys agile quarterback Dak Prescott.

“John has established himself as a clear-cut guy, that we feel confident in behind Jared,” Rams head coach John McVay said. “The most important thing is be ready to roll in a tough situation -- if that occurs. But he will definitely be a part of that ‘looks squad’, when we end up having our defense and being able to give them a look.”

Wolford signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted rookie out of Wake Forest in 2018 but was released during final roster cuts.

He later signed with Alliance of American Football’s Arizona Hotshots in 2019, completing 130 of 206 passes for 1,617 yards, 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions for a 95.9 passer rating.

The Rams signed Wolford last year as a free agent, and he spent the entire season on the practice squad with Blake Bortles serving as the No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart behind Goff.

At 6-1 and 200 pounds, the 24-year-old Wolford said he ran a 4.69-second, 40-yard time out of college, and feels like he’s gotten even faster in the NFL.

McVay described Wolford as making some Doug Flutie-like plays during the Rams’ scrimmages at SoFi Stadium last month.

Wolford likens his game to Russell Wilson and Drew Brees, two shorter NFL quarterbacks he tried to emulate growing up in Jacksonville, Fla., learning the position.

“John Wolford has been a guy that we’ve had a lot of confidence in over the last couple of years,” McVay said. “I would have had no problem with him playing in a game last year, either. We just happened to have a guy that had started and played a handful of games in Blake Bortles.

“So, this was always our plan all along. It is really a reflection in the confidence in John Wolford as much as anything. I think if you asked any of our players, they would share in that confidence that we have in him.”

The Rams will use Wolford to mimic the scrambling ability and second-reaction throws that have become a staple of Prescott’s tool set.

Per Next Gen Stats, only Lamar Jackson (1,901), Cam Newton (1,599), Russell Wilson (1,563) and Deshaun Watson (1,233) have more rushing yards than Prescott (1,221) since the 2016 season.

Prescott had an easy day at the office in the Cowboys 44-21 rout over the Rams last season, finishing 15 of 23 for 212 passing yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. Prescott was not sacked, posting a 123.8 passer rating.

The Rams have learned a new scheme under the tutelage of new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley. So part of the challenge for this year’s defense will be playing assignment correct football and not letting Prescott beat them by buying time and creating explosive plays down the field for Dallas speedy receivers like Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and CeeDee Lamb.

“Just having a new coach is always tough,” Rams defensive lineman Michael Brockers said. “You’re learning new calls, different verbiage and stuff like that. So I think early on the communication between the players is a really big issue.”

TXRams86

The Infamous
Man this sucks on so many levels. I didn’t want to see Goff get hurt even if he was playing like shit.

We get to see what we have in Wolford but one, POSSIBLY 2 games aren’t really going to show us much. For all we know Wolford could be meaningful to this team...or he could be god awful and worthy of cutting in the off-season.

We’re too far into the season to bring in a veteran to try and ride with into the play offs.

None of this matters if we don’t get into the post season and even then our chances of going anywhere were slim with Goff at the helm. They might be even slimmer now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wolford doesn't have great top-end speed, but he's very quick and accelerates well. Issue is that he's only 6'0" on a good day. The interior OL has to give him passing lanes if he starts. He's a lot more mobile than Goff, but he doesn't have Goff's arm. We won't be able to hit some of the sideline routes that Goff throws. Still, we'll have to make it work if Goff is out. As long as he protects the ball, we should have a chance.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Rubley yikes. Pretty much all the Ram QBs post Vince Ferragamo until Everett were abhorrent.

Anytime somebody calls me a bandwagon Rams fan or tells me I'm not a real fan I just give them one word: "Rubley." Sat through that shit-burger of a season with Knox 2.0.

If you can watch that shit, you can watch anything.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This isn’t as bad as it sounds. Goff hasn’t played well at all as of late and this may have made an impossible decision easy for McVay.

We just went from a sputtering offense to a big question mark. At the very least, Arizona will need to do extra homework and we get to give Wofford a test drive.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He seems like he can be mobile a run for some yardage. It could open up some new and unexpected plays for McVay. Then again, do you want your backup QB running and potentially getting hurt and having to use the 3rd string guy? I say it’s worth the risk.

At the very least, he gets a few 1st downs that Jared didn't/wouldn't/can't. Who knows how that changes things?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Honestly, that does have me intrigued. Nice touch on those deep balls and really nice mobility and pocket presence.
Yeah I agree. His mobility intrigues me the most. The ability to move about with the state of the O-line could be very important next week. I worry about the cards d-line more than the hags and they got home this week or at least pressured Goff well. If Walford can use that deep ball touch a couple of times early he could really allow the short game to open up. I'm cautiously optimistic right now, then again Goff has frustrated me so much this season that it could be tinting my glasses quite a bit tbh

TexasRam

Legend
Wolford would be a good play behind this shaky Oline. If we could get Akers back and Whitworth we might have a chance to play midget ball like Wilson and Murray. Run some read options.