Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How many cliches can Snead use in one sentence?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Now we can have two former qbs, Akers and Atwell, on the field at the same time who could run the ball, catch the ball, run the wildcat, and throw.

There are crazy possibilities.

I was a little surprised we didn’t see a pass from Cam last year.

oldnotdead

Legend
People tend to discount players ignored by the media "guru" types. The Rams have stated that they drafted for traits and at WR it was all about speed. Also, Snead alluded to their use of analytics of Tutu's play speed and he said that in their opinion Tutu was the fastest WR in the draft. Based upon traits Tutu was a steal at 57. You can polish a player with good coaching. But traits are inherent to the player and can't be coached.

As I've had said previously, this draft was about 2023, with Harris, Rochell and Garrett along with Tutu probably making the active roster this year. As far as the other 3 draftees, they are TBD during camp. This time in 2023 we will have a much better feel for how well or not the Rams drafted this year. I keep saying it, that I agree with the FO that his roster is now a legit Super Bowl contender now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is the full article shared by @TheTackle

What set Tutu Atwell apart from wide receiver draft classmates with similar skillset for the Rams​

A few hours after the Rams selected Louisville wide receiver Tutu Atwell in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft, general manager Les Snead said the team had identified Atwell and "and a few other receivers" who had the "rare, unique ability to explode off the ball and keep running fast the longer the down went" – In other words, players who fit the mold of the speedy, deep-threat wide receiver Snead and Rams head coach Sean McVay had been asked about acquiring this offseason to help create more explosive plays on offense.

Los Angeles seemingly already address the perceived need by signing DeSean Jackson. However, Snead said that "whether you have DeSean or not, you better attack while you can because it might be a couple drafts before you get a few of those guys, like Atwell.

So what made Atwell so valuable to the Rams? Area scout Billy Johnson (Southeast, Western), manager of football analytics Sarah Bailey, wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and director of scouting strategy James Gladstone offer insight below.

Measuring speed

Color-coded data collected by the Rams' analytics team paints a good picture of receivers who fit the aforementioned criteria for the Rams.

"We have a little bit new data this year, so it's hard to compare year over year," Bailey told theRams.com. "I don't know the number off-hand, (but) I do know that in terms of color-coding things, you see a lot of bright colors, which means faster. There seems to be a lot of fast receivers, which is not too surprising, in my opinion. Just based on the way college games are played and the way they stretch the field, you do see faster speeds in general and it has been evolving even moreso."

Speed values can come from various sources, according to Bailey, such as through scouts and coaches grading a prospect's speed in play by a visual eye test, actual data received from prospects' pro days, or some film data to get a complete view of a prospect beyond traditional measurements.

However, not all of those values are the same and translate to from college to the NFL. The context of those values also matters.

"So for us, it was interesting to be able to see all of those different thresholds, and then it comes to a matter of, 'Okay, well, which of those speed variables are actually important, and which matter at the next level?'" Bailey said. "Because you can have 30 guys run 19 miles per hour, but does that matter? What type of play was it? And breaking it down so that you can really figure out and differentiate between who is fast, and then who's fast, fast in certain situations. So that's really fun to do, and just looking at, who uses their speed to create separation, and how does that separation equate to their completions? So really taking it to the next level, but keeping in mind that it's speed at the at the basis that's helping to influence those next steps."

One way to understand that context is GPS trackers, which colleges have been using during practices and games to record data such as player speed, player distances by speed, acceleration, deceleration, directional changes, orientation changes and explosive moments. It creates a more holistic view compared to traditional drills like the 40-yard dash, which effectively measures straight-line speed and acceleration and may not accurately reflect how a player uses it in a game-like setting.

A prospect's 40-time may confirm how fast a scout or coach believes that player plays from the eye test, but the number of variables from GPS data helps provide more thorough confirmation.

According to Johnson, the Rams' analytics team dubbed Atwell the fastest player in college football this year based on GPS data and how they track players.

"The way he outruns angles, and the way he covers ground, I mean it stands out," Johnson told theRams.com. "I really think he's one of the fastest guys I covered. This year we had (Alabama wide receiver) Jaylen Waddle and guys like that, but he was very comparable. Sometimes you think you're fast-forwarding the film because he's running that fast. It was pretty evident when you turned (the tape) on that he plays at a different speed than most."

Putting it all together

Yarber has more than two decades of experience coaching wide receivers at both the college and NFL levels. In evaluating Atwell, he saw a receiver with both "elite" quickness off the line of scrimmage and top-end speed – a rare combination of traits in receivers coming out of college.

"Usually you don't find that combination in guys," Yarber told theRams.com. "Usually they're quick and they probably don't have the top-end speed. Or, they have the top-end speed but they're not quick enough to get off the line of scrimmage, they're just straight-line guys. He has the good combination of both that you rarely see in receivers. He has elite quickness, elite start and stop. A lot of times those fast guys can't stop, but this guy can stop on a dime. At the line of scrimmage, he's as quick as two cats, he's going to make you miss in a phone booth. That's what he brings."

According to Yarber, some of the other receivers he evaluated in this year's class who had the speed didn't have the quickness off the line of scrimmage to actually utilize it. The ability to do both is what separated Atwell from the rest, in addition to his ability to track the ball.

"Catching the ball over his outside eye, tracking it like a centerfielder, he was one of the elite ball-trackers in the draft," Yarber said. "There were some guys with top-end speed, but he's on the top of the list, though."

That innate ability to combine ball tracking with speed was also what Rams director of scouting strategy James Gladstone said made the team confident about the type of player they were acquiring, knowing that those skills came naturally and did not have to be taught.

Ultimately, Gladstone sees that skillset blending in well with what the rest of Los Angeles' receivers bring to the position group, and worth selecting Atwell with the 57th overall pick based on where they expect their future selections will be slotted.

"Thinking beyond just 2021, we're now in a position where we have a group of receivers who are very complementary in what they have to offer, and won't necessarily ever put ourselves in a position where we're forced to address that need, because typically those are the type of players that go earlier in the draft than what we anticipate we'll be selecting at moving forward," Gladstone said. "So when you do face them, and you are seeing them staring at you in those mid- to late-second round picks, it's hard to to pass that up when you know the future picks aren't necessarily going to be early."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What set Tutu Atwell apart from wide receiver draft classmates with similar skillset for the Rams​

A few hours after the Rams selected Louisville wide receiver Tutu Atwell in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft, general manager Les Snead said the team had identified Atwell and "and a few other receivers" who had the "rare, unique ability to explode off the ball and keep running fast the longer the down went" – In other words, players who fit the mold of the speedy, deep-threat wide receiver Snead and Rams head coach Sean McVay had been asked about acquiring this offseason to help create more explosive plays on offense.

Los Angeles seemingly already address the perceived need by signing DeSean Jackson. However, Snead said that "whether you have DeSean or not, you better attack while you can because it might be a couple drafts before you get a few of those guys, like Atwell.

So what made Atwell so valuable to the Rams? Area scout Billy Johnson (Southeast, Western), manager of football analytics Sarah Bailey, wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and director of scouting strategy James Gladstone offer insight below.

Measuring speed

Color-coded data collected by the Rams' analytics team paints a good picture of receivers who fit the aforementioned criteria for the Rams.

"We have a little bit new data this year, so it's hard to compare year over year," Bailey told theRams.com. "I don't know the number off-hand, (but) I do know that in terms of color-coding things, you see a lot of bright colors, which means faster. There seems to be a lot of fast receivers, which is not too surprising, in my opinion. Just based on the way college games are played and the way they stretch the field, you do see faster speeds in general and it has been evolving even moreso."

Speed values can come from various sources, according to Bailey, such as through scouts and coaches grading a prospect's speed in play by a visual eye test, actual data received from prospects' pro days, or some film data to get a complete view of a prospect beyond traditional measurements.

However, not all of those values are the same and translate to from college to the NFL. The context of those values also matters.

"So for us, it was interesting to be able to see all of those different thresholds, and then it comes to a matter of, 'Okay, well, which of those speed variables are actually important, and which matter at the next level?'" Bailey said. "Because you can have 30 guys run 19 miles per hour, but does that matter? What type of play was it? And breaking it down so that you can really figure out and differentiate between who is fast, and then who's fast, fast in certain situations. So that's really fun to do, and just looking at, who uses their speed to create separation, and how does that separation equate to their completions? So really taking it to the next level, but keeping in mind that it's speed at the at the basis that's helping to influence those next steps."

One way to understand that context is GPS trackers, which colleges have been using during practices and games to record data such as player speed, player distances by speed, acceleration, deceleration, directional changes, orientation changes and explosive moments. It creates a more holistic view compared to traditional drills like the 40-yard dash, which effectively measures straight-line speed and acceleration and may not accurately reflect how a player uses it in a game-like setting.

A prospect's 40-time may confirm how fast a scout or coach believes that player plays from the eye test, but the number of variables from GPS data helps provide more thorough confirmation.

According to Johnson, the Rams' analytics team dubbed Atwell the fastest player in college football this year based on GPS data and how they track players.

"The way he outruns angles, and the way he covers ground, I mean it stands out," Johnson told theRams.com. "I really think he's one of the fastest guys I covered. This year we had (Alabama wide receiver) Jaylen Waddle and guys like that, but he was very comparable. Sometimes you think you're fast-forwarding the film because he's running that fast. It was pretty evident when you turned (the tape) on that he plays at a different speed than most."

Putting it all together

Yarber has more than two decades of experience coaching wide receivers at both the college and NFL levels. In evaluating Atwell, he saw a receiver with both "elite" quickness off the line of scrimmage and top-end speed – a rare combination of traits in receivers coming out of college.

"Usually you don't find that combination in guys," Yarber told theRams.com. "Usually they're quick and they probably don't have the top-end speed. Or, they have the top-end speed but they're not quick enough to get off the line of scrimmage, they're just straight-line guys. He has the good combination of both that you rarely see in receivers. He has elite quickness, elite start and stop. A lot of times those fast guys can't stop, but this guy can stop on a dime. At the line of scrimmage, he's as quick as two cats, he's going to make you miss in a phone booth. That's what he brings."

According to Yarber, some of the other receivers he evaluated in this year's class who had the speed didn't have the quickness off the line of scrimmage to actually utilize it. The ability to do both is what separated Atwell from the rest, in addition to his ability to track the ball.

"Catching the ball over his outside eye, tracking it like a centerfielder, he was one of the elite ball-trackers in the draft," Yarber said. "There were some guys with top-end speed, but he's on the top of the list, though."

That innate ability to combine ball tracking with speed was also what Rams director of scouting strategy James Gladstone said made the team confident about the type of player they were acquiring, knowing that those skills came naturally and did not have to be taught.

Ultimately, Gladstone sees that skillset blending in well with what the rest of Los Angeles' receivers bring to the position group, and worth selecting Atwell with the 57th overall pick based on where they expect their future selections will be slotted.

"Thinking beyond just 2021, we're now in a position where we have a group of receivers who are very complementary in what they have to offer, and won't necessarily ever put ourselves in a position where we're forced to address that need, because typically those are the type of players that go earlier in the draft than what we anticipate we'll be selecting at moving forward," Gladstone said. "So when you do face them, and you are seeing them staring at you in those mid- to late-second round picks, it's hard to to pass that up when you know the future picks aren't necessarily going to be early."

Would be interested how Tavon Compared to him.I think this is a
good way innovate scouting.

Kittles had that front line speed.I never saw a player run the 40 like him.He was still moving at 50 yards & with power.Then you see his speed. His first preseason game ?? He caught a pass & had a head of steam & the power he brought was amazing.Glad Snead at least got John Johnson with that Gerald Everett pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"So for us, it was interesting to be able to see all of those different thresholds, and then it comes to a matter of, 'Okay, well, which of those speed variables are actually important, and which matter at the next level?'" Bailey said. "Because you can have 30 guys run 19 miles per hour, but does that matter? What type of play was it? And breaking it down so that you can really figure out and differentiate between who is fast, and then who's fast, fast in certain situations. So that's really fun to do, and just looking at, who uses their speed to create separation, and how does that separation equate to their completions? So really taking it to the next level, but keeping in mind that it's speed at the at the basis that's helping
I love this. Looking deeper in the analysis will always pay off. (y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is a shame we are suffering from Tavon PTSD as a fan base. That cooled the reception considerably to what might be a fantastic pick.

I see his separation and am hopeful. But that Tavon experience makes me more cautious than I would be if he was an inch or two taller with a little more weight. Which is kind of crazy tbh.

nighttrain

Legend
It is a shame we are suffering from Tavon PTSD as a fan base. That cooled the reception considerably to what might be a fantastic pick.

I see his separation and am hopeful. But that Tavon experience makes me more cautious than I would be if he was an inch or two taller with a little more weight. Which is kind of crazy tbh.
McVay gave Tavon a looksee, and then cut him, whereas Tutu is Sean's boy, big difference, huge.....................
train

TheTackle

Starter
Tavon had trouble running routes, learning the playbook, catching the pro-ball and never mastered catching the ball over his shoulder. Tutu is a better WR and it’s not close. I do wonder if he can cut at speed which would make him almost unplayable in the flat? He will be fun to watch running jet sweeps and will pull the defense all out of shape everytime he blazes past the QB because they will need to get a head start! Stafford will feast if he sees zone v man etc

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I imagine Tutu will be given a chance to win a returns job, in particular punt returns. Louisville didn't use him a ton in that role but probably because he was so important to the offense. But his skills on returns really look like they should play. Good chance with us as a rook that he'll be considered for it since he's bottom of the roster as well. And it will help him be up for gameday.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Measuring speed

Putting it all together

The Rams sure have developed a nice analytics team.

Atwell probably doesn’t get selected this high, by the Rams, without it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Don't shoot the messenger but we appear to have got a steal at pick 57 :)
Don't shoot the guy replying but that mock is 5 months old. Before any workouts or anything in the draft season happens. A LOT changes in that much time. Check out DJ's future mocks if you want to see how long Atwell stayed in the 1st round.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I love this. Looking deeper in the analysis will always pay off. (y)

This is just a great article with some extraordinary comments from knowledge analysts and coaches about Atwell. Speed and quickness. Stops on a dime. "As quick as two cats" at the line of scrimmage. "One of the elite ball-trackers in the draft."

Doubling down on some favorite excerpts:

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No question in my mind now that Atwell was McVay's guy. USA Today reported that McVay told Peter Schroeger the week before the draft that they would draft Atwell if he was there. Didn't actually say when, but guys with 4.27 speed who have led the ACC in tds and total yardage probably aren't going to last too long.
He might of been McVay’s guy but according to an article on The Athletic they were hoping Azeez Ojularu or Jeremiah Owuse-Karamoah would drop to them.

I find it interesting that they really do look to go BPA because between the three of them that is three separate positions. I would have loved it if the my had been able to get Ojularu

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He might of been McVay’s guy but according to an article on The Athletic they were hoping Azeez Ojularu or Jeremiah Owuse-Karamoah would drop to them.

I find it interesting that they really do look to go BPA because between the three of them that is three separate positions. I would have loved it if the my had been able to get Ojularu
I haven't seen the reference you mention about the Rams wanting those guys, but no doubt they are very good prospects. When you pick at 57 you probably have a wish list but are prepared to be flexible.

Anyway here's what Jordan Rodrigues said about Rams picking Atwell in the Athletic:

Pick No. 57: Tutu Atwell, receiver, Louisville

An interesting note about this pick was that Seattle picked D’Wayne Eskridge at No. 56 (Eskridge has similar traits). Some fans speculated that Seattle jumped the Rams on the target. But Atwell shared post-pick that receivers coach Eric Yarber informed him pre-draft that the Rams were not planning on letting him fall out of the second round, indicating that Atwell was a top choice there.

One source with knowledge of the Rams’ evaluation process went so far as to say that Atwell was actually one of head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead’s favorite players in the draft class. The source said that the Rams also got wind of a team below them with their sights on Atwell, so they knew they couldn’t trade out of the pick or risk losing him.

Adding Atwell,
plus two other receivers who do very different things from his own skill set, further pointed toward the Rams’ efforts to target traits that are complementary to their existing roster, instead of focusing on ranking position or need, at times.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I haven't seen the reference you mention about the Rams wanting those guys, but no doubt they are very good prospects. When you pick at 57 you probably have a wish list but are prepared to be flexible.

Anyway here's what Jordan Rodrigues said about Rams picking Atwell in the Athletic:

Pick No. 57: Tutu Atwell, receiver, Louisville

An interesting note about this pick was that Seattle picked D’Wayne Eskridge at No. 56 (Eskridge has similar traits). Some fans speculated that Seattle jumped the Rams on the target. But Atwell shared post-pick that receivers coach Eric Yarber informed him pre-draft that the Rams were not planning on letting him fall out of the second round, indicating that Atwell was a top choice there.

One source with knowledge of the Rams’ evaluation process went so far as to say that Atwell was actually one of head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead’s favorite players in the draft class. The source said that the Rams also got wind of a team below them with their sights on Atwell, so they knew they couldn’t trade out of the pick or risk losing him.

Adding Atwell,
plus two other receivers who do very different things from his own skill set, further pointed toward the Rams’ efforts to target traits that are complementary to their existing roster, instead of focusing on ranking position or need, at times.
I just brought it up because some of the reporting makes it seem like it was At well or bust, which seemed odd. I'm sure the Rams won't come out and say that there were a few other players that they wanted more after making the pick.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Such mixed feelings about this pick.

On the one hand, I have so much faith in McVay, he's a fantastic coach who knows what kind of player he needs to stress a defense.

OTOH, Rams will be trying to make a success out of a player with unprecedented small size.

If Tutu were just an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier-- say, around 5'10" and 165-- I'd feel so much better about the pick.
You could argue that Davonte Smith is skinnier than Atwell. He is listed as 6-1, 165... Atwell's 5-8, 155 is thicker than that.

Hopefully Reggie can get him up to 165 or 168.