Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He will never get that kind of yards after the catch in the NFL. He will go down with one hand on him. He is to small. College there are a lot of bad tacklers. Picture him against the Niners or Seahawks. They don't miss many tackles.

DeSean Jackson has been one of the best WRs of the past decade, it didn't stop him. Not to mention a top 5 deep threat all time. Hollywood Brown in Baltimore seems okay, Taylor Gabriel in Chicago, Jakeem Grant (5'6, 160), Marquise Goodwin.

There are a lot of small speed WRs with very similar body sizes. And guess what, the best one of all is on our roster and will be able to help teach Tutu how to avoid hits and operate in the NFL. He's going to be great for us and will have some long TDs as a rookie. When you have 4.27 speed on the field and Matt Stafford at QB, I dont think you understand what kind of bind that puts a defense into.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
It has always been important to McVay's scheme. They went out and got Watkins when McVay realized that Tavon wasn't a reliable deep threat. It was always the big question mark when they traded Cooks. They were not able to address it last year. It really limited the offense. So in that regard I am hopeful about this pick. Jackson hasn't been the most reliable health wise for a while. So this kid is going to have to step up this year.
Yep I'm sure the fact that the Rams finishing 22nd in the league in ppg was a blow to his ego about being a offensive minded coach. We all could see last year that we needed someone to stretch the field and so did he. I think we could have traded down a little and still got Tutu around 60-70 but I guess they didn't want to take that chance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Couple of things I noticed after watching Tutu game film. Guy tracks the ball really well, even switching from looking over one shoulder to the other, looking the ball into his hands. Good hands, puts the ball away. Both aspects of his game that are far better than tavon ever was.
I agree Bubba. And tracking the ball is something Tavon could never adjust to.

Which is a good thing because with his catch radius and speed hitting that dude is not gonna be easy. But fortunately Stafford's a wily vet and he'll probably hang it up and let Tutu adjust to it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder where the name comes from. Isn't TuTu Hawaiian for grandparent?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, Chatavius (I refuse to call him "Tutu") Atwell is a Ram, so I hope he does well. It's just that there were other players I would've preferred.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, Chatavius (I refuse to call him "Tutu") Atwell is a Ram, so I hope he does well. It's just that there were other players I would've preferred.
Kinda why I don't get wrapped up in mocks and such. I am rarely right on who or what position the Rams value, so for me to get invested in what I think they should do is pretty futile.

…..

Legend
After watching the 2020 highlight tape on TT.....Im now more concerned.
I think I watched all his catches and he never broke one tackle or made somebody miss. Hes not very elusive at all like Tyreek.

Good news is He does have decent hands and he is decisive. He does not dance around and hop around.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
DeSean Jackson has been one of the best WRs of the past decade, it didn't stop him. Not to mention a top 5 deep threat all time. Hollywood Brown in Baltimore seems okay, Taylor Gabriel in Chicago, Jakeem Grant (5'6, 160), Marquise Goodwin.

There are a lot of small speed WRs with very similar body sizes. And guess what, the best one of all is on our roster and will be able to help teach Tutu how to avoid hits and operate in the NFL. He's going to be great for us and will have some long TDs as a rookie. When you have 4.27 speed on the field and Matt Stafford at QB, I dont think you understand what kind of bind that puts a defense into.
I agree with the deep threat. I don't think college YAC equates to NFL YAC, thats all. I am very hopeful of the pick.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Interesting that Atwell's Dad was also an accomplished college WR (like Van Jefferson's) and, like Cam Akers, he was also a successful HS QB.

Gotta be on top of things to play QB.

I'll admit I was once again stunned and disappointed the OL was neglected but I'm not going to argue with McVay/Snead record. W/L and getting to the playoffs are the bottom line, not drafts. I will not be surpried if a more than a couple of these draft picks can come in and enter the rotation right from the start, especially on the D side if off/pre season returns to normal.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yep I'm sure the fact that the Rams finishing 22nd in the league in ppg was a blow to his ego about being a offensive minded coach. We all could see last year that we needed someone to stretch the field and so did he. I think we could have traded down a little and still got Tutu around 60-70 but I guess they didn't want to take that chance.
Yeah, if it is true that the seahawks took our guy, similar to when they took the LB Fisher wanted, they didn't want to take the chance and snapped Tutu up right then.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah, if it is true that the seahawks took our guy, similar to when they took the LB Fisher wanted, they didn't want to take the chance and snapped Tutu up right then.
That LB was future Hall of Famer Bobby Wagner.

Few years later, there was a safety Fisher loved and decided to draft him higher than he was projected to go. Fisher said he thought of the Wagner situation and did not want a repeat.

That safety was Maurice Alexander.

Good Times.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you're on a highway and roadrunner goes "beep beep",
Just step aside or you might end up in a heap
Roadrunner, roadrunner runs on the road all day,
Even the coyote can't make him change his ways
Roadrunner, that coyote's after you
Roadrunner, if he catches you you're through
That coyote's really a crazy clown,
When will he learn that he never can hold you down?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First time Stafford hits him deep for a TD you're gonna be screaming "TUTU!!!!!"

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
First time Stafford hits him deep for a TD you're gonna be screaming "TUTU!!!!!"

Not gonna happen. I will scream, "ATWEEEELL!" I will never use that name. I'm sorry, I don't care how difficult "Chatavius" is hard to pronounce (it isn't); I will never say, "Tutu."

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
As a general take I am usually not one to endorse a pick on 40 times and college highlights.
Once in the league the highlights fade and the impact of speed diminishes quite a bit.
IMO technique has to be there too. TA....no not Tavon Austin LOL. Shows some technique and receiver acumen.
Just keep Paris Ford away from him in rookie Camp until he bulks up

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
He definitely is a WR - not a speed runner. He has the skills a wr needs regardless of his speed and size.

Deep threat: two types.
1. Big guy who goes up and gets the ball over the defender. (50/50).
2. Guy who gets behind the secondary. This is Tutu. Doesn’t matter how tall you are when you are 3-5+ feet behind the defender.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I will never say, "Tutu."

But in your head, just typing that... you just did.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA