Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I'm curious to see what more than 160lbs a guy with that frame can pack on.

I don't see this kid being a Desean and hope I'm wrong but that's a crazy high bar. I think his ceiling is a Tavon+ type player. He can offer everything a Tavon offered you plus a better job catching the ball down the field.

It's not great but it's acceptable for me as a late 2nd round pick.

What's apparent is that McVay struggles to operate a passing attack without a +speed guy on his roster.
I would say another 15 lbs easily - after that it might be difficult

Tano

Legend
Possible he could give us what both Tavon and Cooks brought to the table. That would be useful.

I think Tavon was slightly better, but he also went down when touched. Cooks was 1 inch taller and 20-25 lbs heavier, but he had difficulty tracking the ball and real problems fighting for the ball if he wasn’t open.
Tavon used to go out of bounds at the first sign of trouble on jet sweeps - annoyed me no end when a cut inside would have brought another 10 to 20 yards easily with his speed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What if.......

These were Tutu's numbers this season or next season:
52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD
260 PR yds, 8 yds/ret, 1 TD

Bad pick?

Psycho_X

Legend
What if.......

52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD

Bad pick?

900 yards and 9 TDs on offense? Well yeah, that would be wonderful for any rookie WR.

The more I think about ways McVay will use this kid the more I like it. As long as Djax and Tutu can stay healthy this offense is going to be so damn fun to watch.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
900 yards and 9 TDs on offense? Well yeah, that would be wonderful for any rookie WR.

The more I think about ways McVay will use this kid the more I like it. As long as Djax and Tutu can stay healthy this offense is going to be so damn fun to watch.

Personally I think those are on realistic goals. Look at Van Jefferson and what he did last year. Josh Reynolds was the number three guy and then Jefferson will fill that role. Now you add DJ 11 and that’s another mouth to feed.2022 can be mentored this season it’s all good come 2022.
The same goes with Hopkins behind Jared Gerald Everett. He never even saw down in 2020, so do you think an undersized to two will get any kind of real playing to me is far-fetched.
Expectation wise those numbers would be cool to see.

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
What if.......

52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD

Bad pick?

I mean come on man that is insane rookie production for someone who will be our 5th WR. Overly optimistic IMO that isn't gonna happen. I think he will still make an impact in all phases as you pointed out, but production like that wont come until DJax is off the roster next year.

People need to remember we really had no holes to fill this off-season so we drafted for BPA or luxury. His speed will absolutely open things up when he's on the field. No doubt about that. Stafford loves to go deep, I mean he loves it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if.......

52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD

Bad pick?
What if the sun comes up in the west? I'd be shocked and amazed if those were his numbers. But if they are that means Van Jefferson wasn't able to get on the field making him a bad draft choice likely. It also means DJax isn't on the field making him a bad free agent signing. One out of three is good right?

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Tavon used to go out of bounds at the first sign of trouble on jet sweeps - annoyed me no end when a cut inside would have brought another 10 to 20 yards easily with his speed.
Ironically that is one thing I noted about Tutu after I watched all his highlight films. Always runs to the sidelines. Never cuts it inside.

dang

Legend
i'm hoping this is our version of Tyrek Hill, without the stupid gene
train
Sorry but Tyreek is a #1 receiver who can high point the ball and catches anything he gets his hands on. I don’t think Tutu will have all that but he can be a dangerous weapon taking the top off the defense and burner after the catch.

dang

Legend
What if the sun comes up in the west? I'd be shocked and amazed if those were his numbers. But if they are that means Van Jefferson wasn't able to get on the field making him a bad draft choice likely. It also means DJax isn't on the field making him a bad free agent signing. One out of three is good right?
Jefferson is insurance for Woods and Kupp in case of injuries and for future replacement.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I just hope, TuTu doesn't have the gene of "not being able" to keep weight on his frame. This looks like it might be a thing to watch for.
Though post draft you normally never hear of said player gaining weight over the next post draft years.

nighttrain

Legend
What if Stafford throws for 5000 yards?

i think the 5 not out of reach
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What if Stafford throws for 5000 yards?

i think the 5 not out of reach
train

I agree, although a lot will depend on whether McVay deploys a more balanced attack in the way he uses our rush game or if he just lets Stafford loose. My impression from a few years ago is that McVay is inclined to throw when its not always the great call, although Goff 2019/2020 certainly tempered some of that. Stafford really changes our approach again, so 5000 yards seems relatively reasonable considering all our offensive weapons he has available in our rather formidable arsenal. jmo.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What if.......

52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD

Bad pick?

I didn't like the pick, but those kind of numbers would persuade me to change my mind.

Still wish they would have taken some OL though, at least one.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What if.......

52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD

Bad pick?

Honestly, I don't need those kind of numbers (and I don't see him getting anywhere near 52 carries (more like 20 tops)

If you send him long and a safety plays deep to respect the speed - and Robert Woods breaks over the middle and catches a ball for a 15 yard gain, Tutu gets no stats on the play - but affected the play in a very real way.

I don't expect gaudy numbers from anyone except Stafford and Akers. There are just too many options in the passing game. But we know that teams didn't need to respect the deep ball last year - this year they will need to.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Honestly, I don't need those kind of numbers (and I don't see him getting anywhere near 52 carries (more like 20 tops)

If you send him long and a safety plays deep to respect the speed - and Robert Woods breaks over the middle and catches a ball for a 15 yard gain, Tutu gets no stats on the play - but affected the play in a very real way.

I don't expect gaudy numbers from anyone except Stafford and Akers. There are just too many options in the passing game. But we know that teams didn't need to respect the deep ball last year - this year they will need to.

Agree, at least so long as DeSean Jackson remains healthy, otherwise Tutu may get a lot of those snaps. Stafford is going to spread that ball around between his WR's, RB's & TE's, ... although it won't surprise me to see Higbee get 1000 yards in 2021. jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
What if.......

52 rec, 473 yds, 5 TD
52 rush, 434 yds, 4 TD

Bad pick?

This season would be impressive...but he's barely ever returned punts. I just don't see him getting snaps there. And receiving yards are iffy as well: we have too many mouths to feed (Woods, Kupp, Higbee, Jefferson, Jackson, maybe even Hopkins) before counting on Atwell. I could see him getting occasional snaps if Jackson fails to stay healthy, but I'd rather trust the vet who is arguably one of the best deep ball catchers in the game right now. Rushing, I could see; he definitely has breakaway speed, although I doubt his touchdown numbers in any case will be high.

First and foremost, Chatavius needs to gain good weight without losing his speed. I see this as a redshirt year, a trade of Woods/Kupp next year, and seeing Woods/Kupp, Jefferson, and Atwell be the primary three. Next year will be where he - hopefully - makes his mark.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Those are Tavon Austin's 2015 numbers with Fisher & Rob Boras running things with Gurley getting 1,300 ap yds and Britt & Cook consuming targets in a 29th ranked offense.

Fast forward to now...i'll be shocked if DJax gives us anything this year, maybe 5 gm's and a couple big plays. I also don't really see Jefferson becoming much more than JAG. IMO he doesn't have enough Alpha dog in him to become a next level playmaker. It's early still but that's my early read on him.

Expecting those (3rd year)Tavon numbers from Tutu THIS YEAR is asking way too much, but a year or two from now? I don't think so. In my head DJax will be a memory and Jefferson is a depth guy that never became Robert Woods' replacement.

Tavon is considered a bust, but that is largely because he was traded up for and taken 8th(?) overall and asked to be a #2 WR by coaches that were offensively challenged.

Many felt as i do that there were better players available at #57 so the Atwell pick feels like a reach and perplexing in terms of drafting another WR. I get that and i would have looked elsewhere i think, but my point is that Atwell will have a chance to contribute sooner rather than later in various ways IMO.

It's not unrealistic that he gets some chunk plays both in the pass gm and run gm with the jet sweeps etc because quite frankly, DJax is the only explosive WR on the roster but he's a relatively cheap, old, injury prone flyer type addition. If DJax isn't a risk we don't draft Tutu. The return game is also stale and primed for a kid like Tutu to take advantage of. Oh and we didn't trade up into the top 10 to get him.

If Fisher & company can get good numbers & production from Tavon then why can't McV get good numbers & production from The Tutu? Come on...have some faith.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Qualifier: If Tutu turns out to have Zahir Hakim/Tavon Austin ball security issues....pack his bags and ship him off to Detroit immediately.