Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Couple of things I noticed after watching Tutu game film. Guy tracks the ball really well, even switching from looking over one shoulder to the other, looking the ball into his hands. Good hands, puts the ball away. Both aspects of his game that are far better than tavon ever was.
I do agree on this. Scouting reports question his hands but I see a natural catching ability and tracking the ball ability.

He could be a weapon very similar to Deshaun. The only concerns is he has very little chance of starting due to size and will have a hard time staying healthy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I do agree on this. Scouting reports question his hands but I see a natural catching ability and tracking the ball ability.

He could be a weapon very similar to Deshaun. The only concerns is he has very little chance of starting due to size and will have a hard time staying healthy.

I guess this is what irks me some, and it's not about his potential effectiveness, but how many snaps can we expect to get out of our 2'nd rd. pick in 2021 ? If DeSean Jackson manages to remain healthy, and I hope he does, is Atwell basically just expensive insurance ?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I suppose that would be why Grandpa didn't like being called that. :biggrin:

Atwell has his father's same first name. His Dad was also nicknamed Tutu. So that's where the nickname came from, but how his Dad got it I have no idea.

But at least our guy wasn't being called grandmother or a ballerina by anybody.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Actually McVay called him "DeSean Jackson Jr." and apparently wanted to pick him from before the draft.

According to USA Today:

Sean McVay called him DeSean Jackson Jr.

Peter Schrager said on NFL Network’s broadcast that McVay told him Atwell is “DeSean Jackson Jr.,” which is quite the compliment for the young receiver.

“I spoke with Coach McVay earlier this week and said, let’s go through some of the guys. He said this guy Tutu Atwell, if we can get our hands on him, we’re going to take him because he is DeSean Jackson Jr.,” Schrager said.

Atwell is even smaller than Jackson, but he’s just as fast, if not faster. The Rams couldn’t have picked a better receiver for Atwell to learn from on the practice field than Jackson, who’s historically been one of the best deep receivers in the NFL throughout his career.

(I would have put the above quote in italics but all my editing tools have been grayed out. Must have offended a moderator once too often.)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
(I would have put the above quote in italics but all my editing tools have been grayed out. Must have offended a moderator once too often.)
Oh... You have. :evil:

Just kidding. Ask @CGI_Ram but I think it's something you have selected that eliminates the tool bar.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
Not gonna happen. I will scream, "ATWEEEELL!" I will never use that name. I'm sorry, I don't care how difficult "Chatavius" is hard to pronounce (it isn't); I will never say, "Tutu."

What a weird stance to take. It’s not like his name is Dickandballs. Whatever. To each their own I guess.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Actually McVay called him "DeSean Jackson Jr." and apparently wanted to pick him from before the draft.

According to USA Today:

Sean McVay called him DeSean Jackson Jr.

Peter Schrager said on NFL Network’s broadcast that McVay told him Atwell is “DeSean Jackson Jr.,” which is quite the compliment for the young receiver.

“I spoke with Coach McVay earlier this week and said, let’s go through some of the guys. He said this guy Tutu Atwell, if we can get our hands on him, we’re going to take him because he is DeSean Jackson Jr.,” Schrager said.

Atwell is even smaller than Jackson, but he’s just as fast, if not faster. The Rams couldn’t have picked a better receiver for Atwell to learn from on the practice field than Jackson, who’s historically been one of the best deep receivers in the NFL throughout his career.

Just kidding. Ask @CGI_Ram but I think it's something you have selected that eliminates the tool bar.

You might need to clear your browser cache.

Or make sure this isn’t clicked.

4CC8CBC2-7317-4B48-8800-C5FF5FB5616E.png

MachS

Hall of Fame

Yea I dont know where the questionable hands narrative came from. The guy had only 2 drops last year and makes tough catches in traffic, especially for his size. Tracks the ball deep well, is a natural hands catcher. He reminds me a lot of Hollywood Brown with better hands though IMO.

And then when Chad Johnson tweeted what he did about him, in regards to his route running and how he sets up defenders with his speed, that makes me even more excited. When you have elite speed you would understand if someone maybe got lazy with their route running, or maybe didn't focus on it enough, but Ochocinco has worked out with him in person and said he excels there. And he was an elite route runner and would know what to look for.

jap

Legend
Atwell has his father's same first name. His Dad was also nicknamed Tutu. So that's where the nickname came from, but how his Dad got it I have no idea.

But at least our guy wasn't being called grandmother or a ballerina by anybody.

It's kinda silly to say anything derogatory about a guy when you are choking on his dust.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

View attachment 45268

View attachment 45268

Clearing the cache worked!! THANKS! But with editing tools I could now be dangerous...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Tutu in Kiwi means to tinker or toy with someone mischieviously, just like Tutu is going to do with DB's
Tutu it is and it is totally complementary and accurate

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This is just another case of, the more I learn about this pick the better I'm liking it.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Reggie Scott and the staff already have a plan and a personal chef for Tutu

c7ba1a23cd74e3c2c8e4cadd5a9dcd5c.jpg

OIP.KT2_hz73z-Mydg7xyskk4AHaKH

Lol yea I felt a lot better when I saw him at 160lbs on the video he posted this week. The report about 149 def scared be a bit. But if hes at 160 now we should be able to get him almost to 170 by season start. His size is almost identical to DeSean and other speed WRs so dont think its as much of a deal as people are making it out to be. And once we see him run people will forget about his size. Because as fast as DeSean was coming out of Cal, this kid is even faster.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is just another case of, the more I learn about this pick the better I'm liking it.
Which seems to be such a regular occurrence in drafts under McVay that I have learned to adopt a more patient perspective about these picks.... these picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th are almost always like that... the more information we get, the more the choices make perfect sense.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm curious to see what more than 160lbs a guy with that frame can pack on.

I don't see this kid being a Desean and hope I'm wrong but that's a crazy high bar. I think his ceiling is a Tavon+ type player. He can offer everything a Tavon offered you plus a better job catching the ball down the field.

It's not great but it's acceptable for me as a late 2nd round pick.

What's apparent is that McVay struggles to operate a passing attack without a +speed guy on his roster.

Hram

UDFA
I'm curious to see what more than 160lbs a guy with that frame can pack on.

I don't see this kid being a Desean and hope I'm wrong but that's a crazy high bar. I think his ceiling is a Tavon+ type player. He can offer everything a Tavon offered you plus a better job catching the ball down the field.

It's not great but it's acceptable for me as a late 2nd round pick.

What's apparent is that McVay struggles to operate a passing attack without a +speed guy on his roster.
Possible he could give us what both Tavon and Cooks brought to the table. That would be useful.

I think Tavon was slightly better, but he also went down when touched. Cooks was 1 inch taller and 20-25 lbs heavier, but he had difficulty tracking the ball and real problems fighting for the ball if he wasn’t open.