Pick #103- Rams select LB Ernest Jones, S. Carolina

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Trading with the whiners surprised me too. But of course Rams' staff doesn't have the hate some of us do, and it's not like they're giving away secrets (but then again what's to hide, really?). Seems like more of a favor for a favor somewhere down the line. Plus we know about the buddy-buddy HC's.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Jake Ellenbogen is a 24-year old sportscaster from Upstate New York that co-hosts the Downtown Rams podcast, is the founder of Downtown Rams and Downtown Sports Network LLC. He covers the Rams and NFL Draft for the website.

Jake has been writing and commenting about the Rams for several years now. If the above age is correct, that means he started when he was a teenager.

How many of us have been Rams' fans for years? All the way back to our childhood. How strong were our opinions and knowledge when we were 16 or 18? Sure we had our opinions but were we qualified to provide meaningful commentary to others?

We were passionate fans. In today's world, a passionate fan can share his/her opinions with the masses. THAT technology does not make someone an expert or even particularly knowledgeable.

Jake Ellenbogen might be a nice guy and a knowledgeable football fan. THAT does not mean his opinions have any greater value than any of us. He's one of us ... but with a youtube show.

Good points all. I'm still salty about our 2nd round pick so now I'm looking for reasons to not like the rest of the draft. That said, this pick screams R-E-A-C-H.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's not forget that a lot of our LB's are free agents next year...

But I still don't like this pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jake Ellenbogen is a 24-year old sportscaster from Upstate New York that co-hosts the Downtown Rams podcast, is the founder of Downtown Rams and Downtown Sports Network LLC. He covers the Rams and NFL Draft for the website.

Jake has been writing and commenting about the Rams for several years now. If the above age is correct, that means he started when he was a teenager.

How many of us have been Rams' fans for years? All the way back to our childhood. How strong were our opinions and knowledge when we were 16 or 18? Sure we had our opinions but were we qualified to provide meaningful commentary to others?

We were passionate fans. In today's world, a passionate fan can share his/her opinions with the masses. THAT technology does not make someone an expert or even particularly knowledgeable.

Jake Ellenbogen might be a nice guy and a knowledgeable football fan. THAT does not mean his opinions have any greater value than any of us. He's one of us ... but with a youtube show.
I agree. There's a lot of sites like that nowadays. Not a bad gig for the one starting the site, getting a press badge and making some money from talking football.

But you'll definitely get better information from any typical fan board than you will sites like that. And I'm biased but this board in particular is the best. (y)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lol, Jake has an account and posts on here. Nice enough kid, but wouldn't call him one of our more knowledgeable members, haha....

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
But you'll definitely get better information from any typical fan board than you will sites like that.
And I'm biased but this board in particular is the best. (y)

Agree, and the commentators that have no real football background and experience (playing, coaching or scouting) have no specific expertise that make their opinions any more valuable or knowledgeable.

Add in that many of us just watch much more Rams' football than these commentators. So WHO has the Rams' knowledge?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Lol, Jake has an account and posts on here. Nice enough kid, but wouldn't call him one of our more knowledgeable members, haha....
Now I feel bad.

I really didn't mean to slight the guy; and I'm not saying he is not knowledgeable.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Now I feel bad.

I really didn't mean to slight the guy; and I'm not saying he is not knowledgeable.
Don't feel bad. When you put yourself out there, you are going to get critics. I criticized him on some of his early "articles" that he would post on here. The writing was just very poor IMO, but when you publish, critics come with the territory.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Ernest had 86 tackles in 9 games this year?? In the SEC?? Holy shit dude is a monster.

I think he starts for us at ILB as a rookie. Hes just got too much talent and according to multiple sources he an elite leader and runs things on the field. Would not be surprised to see him starting next to T Howard or Kaiser.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I don't honestly know much about the kid. I didn't think, pending finding out more about Morris, that we'd draft an ILB. The Rams have shown us that they don't prioritize it so what else did we have to go off of? We let one of our best ILB go in recent years and never really replaced him so it didn't look like a position they valued.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really hope I'm wrong, but this is probably my least favorite selection in the entire draft. I love reading about his leadership and his abilities vs. the run, but I just don't see it. What I do see is that he struggles changing direction, is not very physical when he blitzes, and it looks like he will be targeted by opposing offenses vs. the pass. I've watched 5 games so far and I've seen nothing to suggest to me that he'll be better than Kiser or Reeder.

But, hey if his selection lights a fire under them and the improve more, then I guess the selection is worth it.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Now I feel bad.

For the record, you were spot on. Yea...I said it....fight me! Lol

fight me GIF by Sky

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I personally wanted cox over ernest but the more I watch the more I love. Guy is simply always around the football and doesn't give up on plays no matter how far. Love that

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like this pick from what side and read. Always like having someone inside who can bring the thump. I don’t like seeing out linebackers grabbing snd holding on, I want the driving the ball carrier backwards.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I really hope I'm wrong, but this is probably my least favorite selection in the entire draft. I love reading about his leadership and his abilities vs. the run, but I just don't see it. What I do see is that he struggles changing direction, is not very physical when he blitzes, and it looks like he will be targeted by opposing offenses vs. the pass. I've watched 5 games so far and I've seen nothing to suggest to me that he'll be better than Kiser or Reeder.

But, hey if his selection lights a fire under them and the improve more, then I guess the selection is worth it.

I think Kenny Young is the weak link
.Plus Kiser (Reader?)is a FA after the season

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Kenny Young is the weak link
.Plus Kiser (Reader?)is a FA after the season

Kiser, Young, Okoronkwo, and Lawler are all unrestricted free agents, and I think Howard is as well (I'm seeing him as an ERFA in Sportrac, but I don't trust that entirely; someone should check another site, but I'm feeling lazy after a tough workout.). Reeder is a restricted free agent, along with Shelton and Gay. Then guys like SJD, Corbett, and D-Will are all unrestricted free agents, along with Noteboom, Allen, Mundt and Bojorquez (if he makes it that far.)

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
He sounds like a tackling machine but 4.71 may be a too slow. I want someone that can contain Mostert. He's the biggest threat in our division IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like this pick from what side and read. Always like having someone inside who can bring the thump. I don’t like seeing out linebackers grabbing snd holding on, I want the driving the ball carrier backwards.

I like what Reader brought last year.He did okay in coverage.Just needs to adjust his vision a little more.He won the starting job in the Playoffs over Kiser.Kenny Young flashes,but just isn’t as consistent.
Holland’s to me is a big athletic body who is freaking lost out there.Runntoward his side if you want a big play.
Depth & special teams was addressed in this draft.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I like what Reader brought last year.He did okay in coverage.Just needs to adjust his vision a little more.He won the starting job in the Playoffs over Kiser.Kenny Young flashes,but just isn’t as consistent.
Holland’s to me is a big athletic body who is freaking lost out there.Runntoward his side if you want a big play.
Depth & special teams was addressed in this draft.
Sorry to nit-pick here. It's not something I do very often.

We both like this guy but you keep getting his name wrong. It's Justin Hollins ... not Holland.