Pick #103- Rams select LB Ernest Jones, S. Carolina

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he's gonna be a backup to start... with Kenny Young, Micah Kiser, Troy Reeder and Travin Howard being in front of him, but the good news is we should see little drop off if there's an injury unlike last year... which is a good thing.

and I can't imagine Raheem Morris getting a guy he couldn't use.

It's a solid pick for end of 3rd round.

What's so confusing is how the fans and the Rams are so far apart in our evals of the OL...
Yeah the OL thing is irritating tbh. I fucking ate crow early this year too. Then the line started showing the same old cracks. They must really love their in-house options at Center and LT. Or they figure they'll draft LT next year.

The leadership notes on him are interesting. Seems like our new LB coach said "this is the guy I want." Hope we hit on this pick man, we could really use a nice boost off ball.

I get the frustrations too btw. Two picks tonight that were guys the Rams had higher than everyone else. But maybe they'll be right. :biggrin:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They have to trust their process.

The Rams process is just...different.

Same process in Detroit and I think they killed it.

I think we'll have a ton more clarity after the 4th round.

Just PLEASE for the love of all that is holy... DO NOT trade any of those 4th round picks unless it's for a 3rd rounder next year.

NOT KIDDING!!!

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I feel that this current organization drafts many in the 3rd rounds and later that eventually leave the Rams for big paychecks after the 3rd year. Not a bad thing.

I also see we have cap issues that may be playing here.

In McSnead I trust. No reason to think otherwise right now.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO he will be lucky to make the PS. I agree that he's simply a two-down ILB at best. Is he better than Reeder, Kiser, and Young I simply don't see it. The problem is he lacks the speed to play sideline to sideline in the NFL. But we will see how he does on the field. I'm not expecting much. The PS guys, Rozeboom, and Moncrief probably have a better chance.

Jones is much like Christian Rozeboom but a bit slower. Rozeboom hasn't made the active roster and has a better chance this year than Jones. Jones is headed for the PS at best IMO.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like this pick.
MLB needs a certain amount of natural leadership and a borderline maniacal attitude about getting to the ball carrier first.

Dude might lack prototypical athleticism or size but seems to have those other, much harder to find attributes.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
IMO he will be lucky to make the PS. I agree that he's simply a two-down ILB at best. Is he better than Reeder, Kiser, and Young I simply don't see it. The problem is he lacks the speed to play sideline to sideline in the NFL. But we will see how he does on the field. I'm not expecting much. The PS guys, Rozeboom, and Moncrief probably have a better chance.

Jones is much like Christian Rozeboom but a bit slower. Rozeboom hasn't made the active roster and has a better chance this year than Jones. Jones is headed for the PS at best IMO
I disagree, but I understand where you are coming from.

If they spent that much time scouting him to the point he would have been their 1st pick at 88 then they believe in his instincts being more valuable then his athletic ability.

We all have seen far too many players who are raw athletes, but have cabbage for brains. I'm looking forward to see if he can be a Sam Mills type of MLB, (although that's a tall tall order).

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
So many negative Nancy’s and Debbie downers in here. Think we all agree rams needed to draft an ILB and they got a guy they clearly loved. Considering the FO’s success in drafts, especially mid round picks, I think it’s fair to trust them here. Position of need and a guy a good scouting department/drafting team loved don’t really see the issue here

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Besides, the name Earnest Jones just sounds like a badass linebacker for the Rams....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They have to trust their process.

The Rams process is just...different.

Same process in Detroit and I think they killed it.

I think we'll have a ton more clarity after the 4th round.

Just PLEASE for the love of all that is holy... DO NOT trade any of those 4th round picks unless it's for a 3rd rounder next year.

NOT KIDDING!!!

If Cleveland TE David Njoku can be had for a 4'th rounder, as previously alluded to, then I make that trade in a heartbeat. Not Kidding ... jmo.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
One of those deals where the more we learn, the more we support the pick.

Sounds like Rams fell in love with Jones' toughness, leadership, instincts, and football IQ.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he’s a bust then he can always return to his successful jewellery business
FEBC56A4-9AB4-48A4-B3CD-65DC1628C10F.jpeg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Terrible pick #2

19 reps

4.7 40 (not sideline to sideline)

Terrible 3 cone

6th round grade

Micha Kiser 2.0

Unbelievably bad draft

Glad we have those extra round 4 picks... wtf...

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welcome aboard Ernest Jones! Hopefully you help us shore up our run D!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jones is much like Christian Rozeboom but a bit slower. Rozeboom hasn't made the active roster and has a better chance this year than Jones. Jones is headed for the PS at best IMO.
Yeah everything that you just said is pretty much the opposite of what everybody else is saying lol People are saying that his skill set is being a great pursuit linebacker who has some range to him. And purely based on his resume and the fact that Snead called him the best leader in the draft I think that he has a good chance to be better than the linebackers we currently have. I would have picked someone different but compared to our linebacker group he's got the best resume

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never heard of this dude and so I hope he's so good he makes me forget that we could have had Creed Humphrey or Quinn Meinerz.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt he'll start right away. Reeder knows the defense and Jones won't blow him out year one. But he might develop nicely for us. You gotta take some shots on these guys to find them. The guys who fill well and are good or even just have athletic potential to excel vs the pass go early.

Yep.

With our injury history at ILB, he will almost certainly be starting at some point.

Plus - to be successful you need more than just talent. You need the right attitude, demeanor, all those intangibles. Sounds like Jones has those in spades.

And in the third round there are no perfect prospects.

Kiser was ascending last year. He had that amazing game against the Eagles - we all hope Jones will be better than Kiser, but I think Kisers injury history coupled with him being a FA after this year made this a significant need.

It'll be interesting to see if two of Kiser/Jones/Reeder end up playing together on first and second down. I think it's time for all of us to let go of the perfect ILB fantasy - the Rams like playing more safeties.

One more thought - who is going to call the defense? Golden opportunity for Jones.