PFT: Jared Goff and his "little bitty hands"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd place my pole mounted horizontally at waist height.
o_O

and slide their hand down until the two separate. Then do the same with the ring finger if desired, maybe even the forefinger. Repeat as necessary.
:shocking:

Funny thing is that there's a lot of deviation in how dudes grip the ball. Terry Bradshaw for example would famously put his index finger on the tip of the ball because--in his hillbilly rationalization--the finger would zoom it or whatever. Either way it worked, in that he threw some beautiful spirals, but I suspect that had more to do with the size of his hands.
Seriously though, this is something I was thinking about. I remember that with Terry. I also know that several QBs grip the ball differently. I agree with your comparison on how hands should be measured (though I would maybe be a little less gay about it :D:hiding:). A person with larger hand size could just have larger palms as well. Being that the palm itself doesn't actually grip the ball, I would be more interested in over all wrap of the football while concentrating on finger length. Why not measure finger length and then simply how they wrap the ball and leave your pole out of it? :whistle:

I wonder - do they do drills where they try to knock the ball from the QBs hand or see how much pull it takes to pull it from their hands? That seems to me to be more important - at least in the fumble department. Other than that - they have QBs throw with a wet ball. That is probably a more important drill than measuring someone's hand that happens to have long pinkies.
There is something funky about the way the ball comes out of Jared’s hand at times. His consistency struggles a bit because of it.
Peyton Manning threw a funky ball most of the time as well. I'm thinking first ballot HOF? No? I believe he is said to have big hands but he threw a lot of passes that looked like ducks except that they arrived on time and on target.

I'm not sure that Jared will ever be one of those guys who throws like Jeff George or Sam Bradford. But he seems to get it to where it is supposed to go more than either of those QBs at all depths. I agree that he has to work on his throwing on the run as do his receivers (Woods does it well) at recognizing and improvising or coming back to the QB when he is in trouble. He did EXTREMELY well for a very young second year QB that had 7 games under his belt in the horrid "offense" we ran his first year. You have to consider that he had to almost completely scrap that from his memory and actually learn an offense.

To the eye, the way the ball comes out is troubling. But it seems to me that most of the times, those fluttery looking passes are actually on the money. I think it's something we will have to get over.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
o_O

:shocking:

Seriously though, this is something I was thinking about. I remember that with Terry. I also know that several QBs grip the ball differently. I agree with your comparison on how hands should be measured (though I would maybe be a little less gay about it :D:hiding:). A person with larger hand size could just have larger palms as well. Being that the palm itself doesn't actually grip the ball, I would be more interested in over all wrap of the football while concentrating on finger length. Why not measure finger length and then simply how they wrap the ball and leave your pole out of it? :whistle:

I wonder - do they do drills where they try to knock the ball from the QBs hand or see how much pull it takes to pull it from their hands? That seems to me to be more important - at least in the fumble department. Other than that - they have QBs throw with a wet ball. That is probably a more important drill than measuring someone's hand that happens to have long pinkies.

Peyton Manning threw a funky ball most of the time as well. I'm thinking first ballot HOF? No? I believe he is said to have big hands but he threw a lot of passes that looked like ducks except that they arrived on time and on target.

I'm not sure that Jared will ever be one of those guys who throws like Jeff George or Sam Bradford. But he seems to get it to where it is supposed to go more than either of those QBs at all depths. I agree that he has to work on his throwing on the run as do his receivers (Woods does it well) at recognizing and improvising or coming back to the QB when he is in trouble. He did EXTREMELY well for a very young second year QB that had 7 games under his belt in the horrid "offense" we ran his first year. You have to consider that he had to almost completely scrap that from his memory and actually learn an offense.

To the eye, the way the ball comes out is troubling. But it seems to me that most of the times, those fluttery looking passes are actually on the money. I think it's something we will have to get over.

Thanks for the reply —

Jared is either going to get better , or he is not ? Odds are he will get a lot better under McVay. Who also is very young & going to put more touches on the offense.
Just the improvement of the line play will be huge.

I guess I will have a better idea on his passing this Sunday at the pro bowl just balling.
My thing would waa seeing his rookie year fumbling & turning the ball over. There is a lot that goes into it though. Pump fakes one or too hands ? His progression are real good , could improve immensely . I think he will resign for a hometown deal as well. He is We & not about me .