Per source to Jourdan Rodrigue on Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Whitworth / Edwards / Corbett / Evans / Havenstein

Doesn‘t look bad to me. (y)

Noteboom first off bench. Maybe Anchrum shakes things up too.

Corbett will add a lot to the blocking at center. I'm assuming he can adjust to the position and will be more or less good by mid season or so. Crucially Stafford will have the last word if necessary with the line calls-- he won't allow a wrong alignment before the snap to stand and wreck a play.

The reality is that any center we drafted would have required as much or more adjustment as Corbett. Corbett knows the Rams playbook and how NFL defenses attack. And, maybe with the exception of Dickerson from Alabama, there is no guarantee anyone would ultimately be better than Corbett.

Still, I suspect the Rams might have taken the Stanford center at 117 had he been available. But it's easy to lose guys to competitors when you're drafting low and from behind the curve.

The reality is that the Rams just didn't have many high picks. They had maybe one or two shots at clear impact players. McVay took his best shot with a speed receiver, not a center.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

YJYbj1H.png

Hram

UDFA
Alaric Jackson is that guy IMO. He could have gone in the 5th round and they picked him up as a FA

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Looks great to me. Upgrades our weakest link from a year ago and in Evans and Havenstein we can pound the ball to that side.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It’s not Cherry picking. It’s the only full game Evans played on tape last year. It’s also the last game of the year which is the best indicator of where he is at in his development after two full years.
Then what about Aaron Donald against Green Bay? That personal foul was selfish & crying on the sideline when his teammates where still battling.Cam Akers had how many yards rushing?I guess I need to watch that game again though.
IMO Mcvay liked his play,from my view point I would go with Joesph Noteboom before Evans on the Left Side as LT/LG. Really can’t wait to see what the O”Line looks like with Mathew Stafford though.

TexasRam

Legend
Then what about Aaron Donald against Green Bay? That personal foul was selfish & crying on the sideline when his teammates where still battling.Cam Akers had how many yards rushing?I guess I need to watch that game again though.
IMO Mcvay liked his play,from my view point I would go with Joesph Noteboom before Evans on the Left Side as LT/LG. Really can’t wait to see what the O”Line looks like with Mathew Stafford though.
That's a really bad argument. We don't evaluate the best player in football when he is injured. Donald is accomplished and proven himself. One can't compare him to Evans unless they are drunk. Evans has shown some in the run game but he has really struggled in pass pro. He had 5 spot games he played in last year and a full game vs Green Bay which is our best chance at determining where he is at in his development. He might be able to pass protect but the best indicator is his last game since he is still very raw in terms of game reps.

I personally would go with Noteboom over Evans as well, because Noteboom can pass block much better at this stage and we have an older QB that is not exactly injury free. But I don't want to see Noteboom out there as he is a liability in the run game. At this stage I hope they pluck a guard that gets released or give Anchrum/Coleman a look in worst case scenario. Corbett should be fine at Center, we was a really good player last year taking a huge step forward and has center experience from college ball.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams really like their o-line, have said it for years. And it seemingly has underperformed. So they got rid of the o-line coach, and are enthusiastic about the oline this year without adding to it. Seems pretty obvious to me where they feel an upgrade was needed!

Tano

Legend
Yeah the Hill and Smith Jr comparisons are baffling, two guys that played 25-35 lbs heavier than Atwell. I mean they're short sure but they're thick for that height something Atwell isn't even close to being.
I am hoping at 160 right now that he puts on another 15 lbs then I will be okay with the pick.

Tano

Legend
That's a really bad argument. We don't evaluate the best player in football when he is injured. Donald is accomplished and proven himself. One can't compare him to Evans unless they are drunk. Evans has shown some in the run game but he has really struggled in pass pro. He had 5 spot games he played in last year and a full game vs Green Bay which is our best chance at determining where he is at in his development. He might be able to pass protect but the best indicator is his last game since he is still very raw in terms of game reps.

I personally would go with Noteboom over Evans as well, because Noteboom can pass block much better at this stage and we have an older QB that is not exactly injury free. But I don't want to see Noteboom out there as he is a liability in the run game. At this stage I hope they pluck a guard that gets released or give Anchrum/Coleman a look in worst case scenario. Corbett should be fine at Center, we was a really good player last year taking a huge step forward and has center experience from college ball.
This is probably not a good idea but don't some teams rotate their players in.

I would put Evans in on running downs and Noteboom in on passing downs.

Doesn't mean I would always run when Evans is in and always pass when Noteboom is in.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This is probably not a good idea but don't some teams rotate their players in.

I would put Evans in on running downs and Noteboom in on passing downs.

Doesn't mean I would always run when Evans is in and always pass when Noteboom is in.
I agree with you. It's not a good idea.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I could have sworn that Belicheat did this from time to time.
Guess anything is possible. Tom Landry rotated his QBs from play-to-play for a short-time. It did not go well.

Can see some OL rotation on a series-basis but continuity is so important to an OL, not sure it's a good idea.

Was mostly referring to a run-pass-rotation which suggests a change on most every other play. That's just a bad idea in my opinion.

Tano

Legend
Guess anything is possible. Tom Landry rotated his QBs from play-to-play for a short-time. It did not go well.

Can see some OL rotation on a series-basis but continuity is so important to an OL, not sure it's a good idea.

Was mostly referring to a run-pass-rotation which suggests a change on most every other play. That's just a bad idea in my opinion.
I wouldn't do it on every other play but I would put Noteboom in on 3rd and long (8 yards or more) and Evans in on almost every other play. The game against Green Bay, when the Rams had 3rd and 8 or more - both Evans and Blythe got killed on those plays.

If you throw out those 3rd and long, both Blythe and Evans had decent games.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Same here. I actually think Corbett is a good lesson for why the Rams operate on the offensive line the way they do. The browns absolutely gave up on Corbett right away when he just needed a couple of years to get his feet under him. If the Rams drafted offensive line this year the chances are they wouldn't flourish or see their ascension until about 2023. That doesn't even match up with the Rams window right now.
And we know, that of the 31 other teams out there, somebody drafted a player the Rams were looking at and will end up releasing as those teams put together their 53.

The Rams can then scoop him up and train him for a couple years and get a couple more years out of him starting or as a backup.
I do think the Rams will have to sign a couple of their core starters long-term to decent contracts but if they sign them in the middle of the season before they really hit their stride, they can get a good deal on them.

Tano

Legend
As long as he doesn't lose any of that speed.
I knew a guy who was one of the fastest guys in my high school.

When he went to college, he went into a weight training program and gained about 15 to 20 lbs.

He did not lose any of that speed. However, I don't think he could have gotten any bigger without losing some speed.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This draft (IMO) will be remembered as either:

WOW Snead & McVay are Phenomenal at finding talented players

or

WOW Snead & McVay were clueless about rebuilding the O-line when they had the chance

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This draft (IMO) will be remembered as either:

WOW Snead & McVay are Phenomenal at finding talented players

or

WOW Snead & McVay were clueless about rebuilding the O-line when they had the chance

Or WOW....Brad Holmes is someone that will be sorely missed.