Once-in-a-lifetime prospect? Scouts break down Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fair enough. He had a great 2012. 2013, not so much. And I worry about players that people say is lazy and takes plays off.
And to be really fair for both of us, we shouldn't compare college stats or plays to NFL plays. Big difference. He may be better than Long (at some point) but I wouldn't say the same about Quinn. He's already a beast.

If every GM in the league had a time machine they would be going back and making deals to draft Quinn.

Unless there was one of those once in a lifetime or decade players that we see every other year or so that were still available.

Ramifications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You just named how many players that are once a decade?

Williams, Peppers, Johnson, Luck and Suh.

That's kind like more than one every other year in the last 8 years isn't it?

Stated as a hypothetical, it was IF he is better than Peppers and Williams. I think the title of the article was referring to that AS A DE. The other scout (they quoted a few, may not have been the same) was noting that Calvin Johnson was a historically good prospect (he may be the best ever AS A PHYSICAL SPECIMEN AND ATHLETE). And he has turned into a good player in the NFL. Would you agree DET is probably happy with that pick? Luck has been called by MANY scouts the best prospect since Manning (1998 - so close to 15 years from Luck), and maybe even Elway (1983 - 30 years)... they of course aren't comparing him to WRs or DEs.

Would you aree WRs and QBs as good as Johnson and Luck don't come along every other year? Sorry of I'm not explaining this point clearly. I get that you might not think he is rare or special. I'm just saying if the scouts are right, if we accept that hypothetical for our purposes, DEs like him don't come around every other year.

How many 275 lb. DEs off the top of your head are capable of a 4.4 (as he reportedly is, we'll see - again, lets say he does)?

Ramifications

And once in a decade is one hell of an honor. Once in a lifetime??? Good love the Pre-draft hype... but dam. This is like a once in six decades guy now??? Yep... he has a whole 3.5 sacks to prove it. I think he could be great but can we see him play a down in the NFL first?

He may have been hurt, he looked a lot better in 2012.

Ramifications

I can't see Mr. Clowney as a once in a lifetime prospect. He disappears entirely in games regardess of being double teamed or not. What happens in the NFL when he gets frustrated and the single/double teams doesn't allow him to be successful and is a millionaire and wants to let out agression in a new Ferrari and hits the road going 150? Hopefully nothing wrose happens. I just see him as a land mine waiting for a team to walk on him.

Again, he looked a lot better in 2012, when he presumably wasn't as much of a marked man.

If he is drafted by STL, we do have a pretty good DE in Quinn. Is there an assumption that opposing offenses will elect to double team Clowney and not Quinn? They can't double team both of them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stated as a hypothetical, it was IF he is better than Peppers and Williams. I think the title of the article was referring to that AS A DE. The other scout (they quoted a few, may not have been the same) was noting that Calvin Johnson was a historically good prospect (he may be the best ever AS A PHYSICAL SPECIMEN AND ATHLETE). And he has turned into a good player in the NFL. Would you agree DET is probably happy with that pick? Luck has been called by MANY scouts the best prospect since Manning (1998 - so close to 15 years from Luck), and maybe even Elway (1983 - 30 years)... they of course aren't comparing him to WRs or DEs.

Would you aree WRs and QBs as good as Johnson and Luck don't come along every other year? Sorry of I'm not explaining this point clearly. I get that you might not think he is rare or special. I'm just saying if the scouts are right, if we accept that hypothetical for our purposes, DEs like him don't come around every other year.

How many 275 lb. DEs off the top of your head are capable of a 4.4 (as he reportedly is, we'll see - again, lets say he does)?

I wasn't picking on your choice of players as much as saying that we hear that kind of thing nearly every year.

We have heard this about Bradford, Newton and Luck when it comes to QBs in just the last 5 years.

We've heard it about a few defensive players too in the last several years.

I never believe the hype, because it is almost always wrong.

Ramifications

Right now unless someone is cut and or re-structured we cannot easily sign anyone. We have no cap room. That's why you hear so much about letting guys like Finnegan go to save room for FA. Saffold is going to cost a few $$ to re-sign.

But a lot of Rams observers don't think Saffold will be back (as well as Finnegan). While we may not make any blockbuster moves (why I think Byrd or Verner may be unrealistic), I haven't heard anything to suggest the cap situation is so dire we can't retain one of Wells or Dahl if we want to?

Ramifications

I wasn't picking on your choice of players as much as saying that we hear that kind of thing nearly every year.

We have heard this about Bradford, Newton and Luck when it comes to QBs in just the last 5 years.

No offense, just like hopefully there isn't on your part, just having a robust debate which could sharpen and clarify thinking in the thread and be a collaborative intelligence amplification/augmentation engine. :^)

We heard different things if you heard that other recent WRs were as good as Calvin Johnson or as historically good a prospect. Do you disagree with the part that he is the greatest physical specimen and athlete at the position, that this was known before, during and after the draft? Anybody who said that about a WR since Johnson was just plain wrong, and to be honest, I don't recall a single scout say any since were as good, can you?

Again, don't know about you, but the buzz surrounding Luck (best prospect since Manning or even as far back as Elway), I don't recall being said about Newton and Bradford. I heard Brandt say Bradford had one of the greatest WORKOUTS he had seen, but I don't recall him being comparable as an OVERALL prospect.

AGAIN, if Clowney runs a 4.4 at 275 lbs, and you are right that physical specimens and athletes like him are ubiquitous and every other year-types, you should have no trouble reeling off dozens of exemplars. :^) Maybe Jevon Kearse was close, but he was 265 when he ran a 4.4 so not quite the same, and he was drafted in 1999 - 15 years ago. Not exactly every other year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramifications

pretty much every year you have a once in a decade player and while some almost live up to the hype, most don't come close. this kid had had his HC call him out publicly, IMO he had to be really messing up for his HC to put that in print. we have had one of the best Olines in the NFL 2 years running, we need Oline, C, Safety and LB way more than we need a DE, fix whats broken first.

When was the last consensus "once-in-a-decade" DE? Mario Williams? Julius Peppers?

A) not exactly every other year and B) they turned out to be pretty good players (are they not among the best pass rushers of the past decade?)

Safety can be gotten later, no safety in this draft worth even a top 10 pick. We do have two firsts, so taking Clowney doesn't preclude taking a safety later. Maybe they can get one with their second first or even in the second round. Same with center and interior OL, Warford went in the third round. Why give up on Barrett Jones already, and assume he needs to be replaced by a rookie before we have even seen him? LB? Ogletree went at end of the first. Kiko Alonso in the second. Last year, Wagner, David and Kendricks went in the second (and a LB will be a two down player, anyways, not hard to find free agent LBs).

Clowney, again, IF Fisher thinks he can work with him, would be far greater value than those positions, it isn't close. We can still fill those positions (if we trade down, we may have multiple seconds and thirds), the important thing is to not make positional reaches and to match up the right player/position/round and get them with the right pick at the right time.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't it be so nice to have more talent than we could get on the field. lol.
They could move Long around to anyplace on the line. Brockers or Langford would stay on the field to eat up 2 blockers. Williams uses a lot of 3 line man sets on passing downs anyway. So like towards end of last season Quinn would line up anywhere to shoot a gap, the OL would always have to account for him. He could also drop in coverage for a different look.
They would just mix and match if they had Clowney.
No such thing as to much pass rush. Ask Manning about his Super Bowl experience.

tonyl711

Starter
yes they are AMONG the best, not THE best, truthfully I would compare Quinn to either of them and I don't remember anyone calling him a once in a decade DE, and I also don't remember their HCs calling them out in public, don't remember hearing how they skated their last college years because they wanted to avoid injury. think about it, how many cant miss players that "cant miss" have in fact missed? hell Glen Dorsey was going to be the next Warren Sapp, is he? ghoulston was going to tear it up, has he? how about that LB seattle drafted #4 a couple years ago, cant even remember his name lol. the NFL is a different beast than college, that's why a lot of college stars are average in the NFL. I promise you for every cant miss player who reached their potential in the NFL, I can name 2 or 3 who didn't.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He may have been hurt, he looked a lot better in 2012.

Yeah. If he's that good then we should draft him, IMO. We'd be silly not to. I mean this is almost declaring him a HOF talent right out of the gate. I'm very skeptical.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just wish that Clowney had been as productive this year as he was last. That would erase all concerns that I have about his desire and character.

Some early speculation was that he was laying off to avoid injury like Marcus Lattimore had, thus costing himself the big money. While being smart and looking to the future it also brought about questions concerning his desire for the game. Does he love football?

I have trouble with it because I am give everything I put my mind to 100% effort, especially when it came to sports. I have trouble relating to being in the heat of a football game and laying back for some plays and not trying.

Ramifications

yes they are AMONG the best, not THE best, truthfully I would compare Quinn to either of them and I don't remember anyone calling him a once in a decade DE, and I also don't remember their HCs calling them out in public, don't remember hearing how they skated their last college years because they wanted to avoid injury. think about it, how many cant miss players that "cant miss" have in fact missed? hell Glen Dorsey was going to be the next Warren Sapp, is he? ghoulston was going to tear it up, has he? how about that LB seattle drafted #4 a couple years ago, cant even remember his name lol. the NFL is a different beast than college, that's why a lot of college stars are average in the NFL. I promise you for every cant miss player who reached their potential in the NFL, I can name 2 or 3 who didn't.

Quinn is great, I think he could be on his way to being the league's best pass rusher (though Aldon Smith and Von Miller had off years, Smith had the most sacks in NFL history through his first 32 games, I think, even more than the great Reggie White?), but part of greatness is consistency, I don't think it would be fair yet to equate Quinn's body of work with Peppers. Not sure who would be the best DE in the past decade, but Peppers would have to be in the conversation, and may well be the best. I don't even know if he has ever led the league in sacks for a seasons, but he has been very good in the last decade (he is a little long in the tooth now, so I would say roughly through about 2011). Not sure if there are lots of DEs better than Mario Williams since he was drafted.

Needless to say, Clowney doesn't need to be a Hall of Famer to be worth the 1.2 pick if he is one of the top pass rushers in the league in the next decade.

BTW, we could be talking about different things. I'm not saying players don't exceed expectations at times, obviously they do. Kurt Warner. Tom Brady. Priest Holmes. James Harrison. London Fletcher. Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor were day three picks. But what is the moral. I don't think you are advocating that we keep trading down until we amass lots of fifth, sixth and seventh round picks, and count on Hall of Fame UFAs?

What I am talking about is that the top graded DEs in the past decade or so, in my recollection, Peppers and Williams, turned out pretty good. Saying lesser regarded Quinn did well, too, doesn't say anything to the contrary of what I was saying. Quinn had his own issues as well, if you recall. He probably would have gone higher, except some thought he was a character risk for getting suspended and kicked off the team for improper benefits, he didn't play for a year (whch didn't work out so good for Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams). He was considered a medical risk for having a brain tumor in remission. Sometimes risks pay off, sometimes they don't (Rams have had no shortage of bad picks since the GSOT days). I'm assuming you aren't suggesting going for lower graded prospects at the same position, so we are back to square one, looking for the highest graded prospects.

LTs can bust or disappoint (Jason Smith). Same with WR (David Terrell, Koren Robinson). Wouldn't all prospects be levelled by your same pointed NFL is tougher comment?

Was Dorsey really called one of the best DT prospects ever? He may have been compared to Sapp as a pro, but Sapp himself fell because of smoking pot before the combine, and I don't think was one of the greatest prospects ever at the position, AT THE TIME HE WAS DRAFTED. Suh I do remember as being called a historically good DT prospect, and as noted above, I thought he would live up to that initially, not so much the past few seasons. Great DE prospects like Reggie White (first round USFL) and Bruce Smith (first overall) I think tend to be recognized. Some of the most productive DTs like Glover and Randle weren't necessarily high pedigree, which suggests NFL scouts and personnel-types have a better handle on projecting top DEs than DTs? Geno Atkins wasn't a high pick (late fourth)? Was Gholston really called a historically great DE prospect, or more of a workout warrior like Mike Mamula, I think you can see the difference (Clowney is being called a great prospect BEFORE the underwear Olympics, that is the difference).

I had to look up Aaron Curry. He was called the best LB in the draft, in the conversation for best in the draft, and a very safe pick. But I don't remember scouts saying he was one of the most awesome prospects at his position in the history of the draft. Maybe you are just trying to think of busts that were picked high at various positions? That isn't really the same conversation. Maybe others just see things differently. But I disagree with Les when he says WRs like Calvin Johnson or QBs like Luck come around every other year (or even that scouts say they do, which is of course a different thing, I don't agree with that either).

Again, what is the point of saying for every can't miss player 2-3 fail. So for every lower graded player, can we find 20-30 that fail? Should we be looking to draft lower graded players?

When we get right down to it, the people who were for Clowney still are, and those that weren't aren't. So this thread is really about reasons why people had already made up their mind they did or didn't want him in the first place, not sure much progress has been made on the question if historically good DEs have a better hit rate (I don't think your examples made the point you were trying to, maybe other ones could). Realistically, it probably also will fall down easily seen dividing lines between those who have already made up their mind we don't need a DE, and would prefer a LT or WR. I realize there may be many that question his motor and effort (I have also at times), and this is a reasonable concern. Part of the post is a hypothetical. IF we draft him, if Fisher is convinced effort won't be a problem, there could be a lot of upside people aren't considering (and I put myself in this category at different times, though I have started threads like this in the past).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having watched Clowney's entire career at SC, he's a freak. Whoever gets him will be quite pleased. When people are using Julius Peppers and Mario Williams as the low-end projection of what you'll be, that speaks volumes. Guy has the potential to be an all time great and most believe he'll, at least, be a Pro Bowl DE. The only real question mark is character. And I'm sure the Rams as well as other teams will do their due diligence.

Ramifications

People who are worried he will be double teamed, how on a DL with Quinn and Long?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Clowney is not a player that comes around every other year. You're talking one every 5 to 10 years. The only two DEs recently that have come out with similar athletic skill-sets to Clowney are Julius Peppers(#2 pick in 2002) and Mario Williams(#1 pick in 2006). And Clowney might eclipse both in terms of their measurables at the combine.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
But a lot of Rams observers don't think Saffold will be back (as well as Finnegan). While we may not make any blockbuster moves (why I think Byrd or Verner may be unrealistic), I haven't heard anything to suggest the cap situation is so dire we can't retain one of Wells or Dahl if we want to?

We're not "retaining" them unless we restructure or keep under the current contract. So as of now someone has to be cut to make any viable room under the cap, I believe anyway.
Last I heard and read we had very little room.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
People who are worried he will be double teamed, how on a DL with Quinn and Long?
Because it's extremely doubtful he'll be on the field with them. Chris is not going to move to the interior. It's just won't happen, IMO.
Chris may have played in a 3-4 in college but it was still on the outside.

Ramifications

The title of the article stated once in a lifetime, he doesn't need to be that to be very valuable.

Though I do think Calvin Johnson is the greatest prospect at the position I've ever seen in my life, and Luck is one of the best at his respective position in the past 2-3 decades. If Clowney ends up being as good a physical specimen and athlete as Calvin Johnson was at his (not saying it will translate to the NFL as well), he may well be unprecedented at the position. Again, I challenge others who think he is an every other year or two type to than come up with dozens of 275 lb. DEs that clocked a 4.4 (if he does that as rumored, I may have to set my sights lower by the Combine). Kearse (drafted by Fisher) running a 4.4 at 265 is the closest I could think of, and he was on a Hall of Fame career arc and trajectory before it was sadly derailed by a chronic foot injury.

Ramifications

We're not "retaining" them unless we restructure or keep under the current contract. So as of now someone has to be cut to make any viable room under the cap, I believe anyway.
Last I heard and read we had very little room.

I expect Finnegan to be at the top of the list to be cut or restructured. Again, I haven't heard the cap situation is so dire we definitely have to let Saffold go and also cut Wells AND Dahl. The fact that we could extend Saffolds suggest that if we CAN'T, the money we DON'T spend on him, could enable us to not have to cut Wells and Dahl if they don't want to.

The coaching staff seems to like vets, not sure they want to roll without all three of them in 2014 (maybe one or two, I agree)?